Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 05-22-2011, 05:01 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
Low wierd power

I have an E36 325 without vanos.
The problem is that when I run on regular speed, I can feel power ranges 80-100% can also see it on the economy gauge that fluctuates.
i have change air flow meter and oxygen sensor. but i stil got the problem . enginen and transmission have run abourt 280.000 km. i tryed to drive without air flow meter but the problem is stil the same. over 4000 rpms its getting better but when im change to next gear it lossing power again.

what could be wrong?
Ads by Google
Old 05-22-2011, 09:29 AM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
It could be a lot of things. My first thougt was vacuum leak. I would suggest you look in to that first. Then consider a new fuel filter if you have not changed yours recently.

Hope this gives you a starting point.

Also, welcome to the Fest

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 05-22-2011, 06:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: -02 530 & -92 325is
If the spark plugs are old, replace them.
Ignition coils (on top of the spark plugs) age and cause the same kind of poor performance as bad spark plugs.
The intake rubber boot can crack and cause poor performance. For me it did and when accelerating, the engine twisted slightly to widen the crack.

If there is no difference driving the car with or without the air flow meter, something is wrong. Either another bad AFM or bad wiring to it.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Somebody stop me....

Mein Auto: EW/// 86
[QUOTE=granlund;6083126]If the spark plugs are old, replace them.
Ignition coils (on top of the spark plugs) age and cause the same kind of poor performance as bad spark plugs.
The intake rubber boot can crack and cause poor performance. For me it did and when accelerating, the engine twisted slightly to widen the crack.
QUOTE]

I'd also start there
You canít spend all your time worrying about where your next Twinkie is going to come from, so follow rule #32 and Enjoy The Little Things.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:49 AM

I have tjek vakum legs, new lambasonde, another air flow meter. Dont know what to do now, but i find a video with the same problem.

Thanks B
Old 07-07-2011, 04:36 PM
Yes, they're real!!!

Send a message via AIM to mksu19 Send a message via Yahoo to mksu19 Send a message via Skype™ to mksu19
Mein Auto: '05 325it / '01 Audi S4
The power surges that you are experiencing might not be due to the engine or it's installed aftermarket components. With that much clicks in your car (almost 300,000kms!), I would assume that the transmission is already slipping. When was the last time you replaced your ATF and filters? My brother in law had the same "wave like" acceleration before he converted his e36 Auto to a 5 speed Manual.

The good thing is, not all tranny slippage is due to a bad transmission. I would first replace the ATF and the filter and see if the symptoms goes away. I would read THIS to see if the symptoms you were referring to are similar. Hope this helps, please let us know what the outcome is. Good luck!

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mksu19 View Post
Signs of a Bad Torque Converter

Proper transmission torque converter action is necessary for the adequate function and operation of a vehicle's transmission. There are a number of problems and issues that can develop with a transmission torque converter. What follows is a brief list of the most common signs of a bad transmission torque converter.

Transmission Gear Slippage

A bad torque converter will often cause transmission gears to slip out of place, especially under heavy acceleration. By altering the flow and pressure of circulating hydraulic transmission fluid, a bad torque converter can prevent optimal hydraulic transmission fluid flow, which can allow gears to slip.

Reduced Acceleration

Many times a vehicle that has a bad torque converter will seemingly lack engine power and/or acceleration power. Proper vehicle acceleration is influenced in part by the proper hydraulic function of a torque converter. A bad torque converter will often times prevent adequate transmission pressure from developing, which in turn reduces engine acceleration and power.

Hard Shifting

Hard shifting, which normally occurs when a transmission "slams" or "drops" into gear as opposed to shifting easily into gear, is a common symptom of a bad torque converter. Proper, consistent torque converter action, including proper hydraulic fluid pressurization, is mandatory for smooth transmission gear shifting. A bad torque converter lacks the ability to pressurize hydraulic fluid normally, which can result in hard shifting.

Transmission Surging

A vehicle that surges, or lunges, while being driven at a constant speed is oftentimes a vehicle that has a bad torque converter. This condition, which is normally caused by the erratic flow and pressurization of hydraulic transmission fluid within the torque converter, is a classic symptom of torque converter dysfunction.

Transmission Lag

Transmission lag is a condition where a vehicle's transmission takes a long time to build up sufficient transmission fluid pressure to affect vehicle movement. Transmission lag is most apparent in a vehicle starting out from a complete stop. A bad torque converter can lack sufficient converter and pump action to provide adequate hydraulic fluid pressure to affect normal vehicle take-offs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbarbie View Post
...Not everyone can be as beautiful as Mona and me...

Mona B.

Last edited by mksu19; 07-07-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Sometimes Out To Lunch!!!

Mein Auto: 1993 318i 1994 325i 1998
^ +1 that's what it looks like to me for sure.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: -02 530 & -92 325is
Do you have a manual or automatic transmission?
Old 07-09-2011, 03:51 AM

Hey guys thanks alot for help. Yesterday i borrowed my fathers TPS e36 316i. At the start i dont really feal a difference. But after i reset my ECU the accelerate was alot better. So i tryed to clean my TPS, and it look like it helps. the economy gauge fluctuates but only abit now, and i dont realy feel it. So monday i will order a new one. did it sound realistic to you guys, that the TPS is bad? anyone tryed the same? Its a manuel gearbox