Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 05-31-2011, 06:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 325 xi
rusty brakes and tree damage

I was a way for a couple of weeks, so my BMW sat mostly unused.
When I got back, my wife mentioned that she drove the car once, and that my brakes sounded terrible. I took it for a ride, and not only noisy, but severe vibration under braking. Strange since the car was fine before I left.

It turned out that the rear rotors had a build up of rust from sitting. I pulled the rear rotors (BTW pads and rotors both have plenty of surface on them), and sanded the rust off, and now all is well.

The other thing that happened was that tree buds and pollen built up on the car. My wife cleaned it off once, but not often enough to prevent the outline of the buds from being etched into the paint.

No amount of polishing or compounding helped. I guess it is either wet sanding or a re-paint(:

Not a fun thing to come home to.....
Old 05-31-2011, 07:20 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabmw1 View Post
I was a way for a couple of weeks, so my BMW sat mostly unused.
When I got back, my wife mentioned that she drove the car once, and that my brakes sounded terrible. I took it for a ride, and not only noisy, but severe vibration under braking. Strange since the car was fine before I left.

It turned out that the rear rotors had a build up of rust from sitting. I pulled the rear rotors (BTW pads and rotors both have plenty of surface on them), and sanded the rust off, and now all is well.

The other thing that happened was that tree buds and pollen built up on the car. My wife cleaned it off once, but not often enough to prevent the outline of the buds from being etched into the paint.

No amount of polishing or compounding helped. I guess it is either wet sanding or a re-paint(:

Not a fun thing to come home to.....
ALL rotors will rust up from sitting during inclement weather (and we`ve had plenty of that this year). A few vigorous stops is all that`s required, no need to sand `em..

Find a good local detailer, and speak to him about possibly repairing that clear coat.

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 05-31-2011, 10:29 AM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
You should see what the sea gull shyte does to cars where I live.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 330 Ci
Wet sanding is a good idea, and doesnt cost anything but time. Just make sure the car is clean, sand with 1500-2000 grit paper, polish with rubbing compound then swirl remover.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:46 AM
Supporter of Bimmer Lore

Mein Auto: 2006 325Ci
I take it that contaminant removal using a clay bar has already been attempted, right?

2006 325Ci
Old 05-31-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcourcoul View Post
I take it that contaminant removal using a clay bar has already been attempted, right?
yup, forgot to mention that... I also tried tar and sap removal solvent first, then went to clay, then polish, then compound.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:59 PM

Thanks Kubs and Fast Bob, I will speak to some buddies of mine that do body work. I am hoping that the wet sanding will be the answer.

I called the insurance company to ask if this type of damage is covered, they are checking into it for me.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:22 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
What level of polish did you use? Buffer? You won't solve the problem with some auto store polish and a rag, you need a machine, pads, and good quality polish.

There are many levels of polish and I've seen the nastiest of cars returned to better-than-new condition with a proper detailing and correction work. A pro can do that with ease.

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 05-31-2011, 06:51 PM
Past Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Mark@EAC
Mein Auto: e39 5
You would be amazed what you can remove from paint with a clay bar.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:28 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 99 528iA
I have always parked under maple or (horror) linden trees; wax is essential and regular washing helps but clay gets everything.

Brakes rust when you park. Don't park outside for long periods of time. A lot of rust will develop. I unfortunately have experience in this area.
'99 540i (grandfather's)

Old 06-02-2011, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr826 View Post
What level of polish did you use? Buffer?
No, did not go that route yet, I'll step things up this weekend.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:44 AM
Supporter of Bimmer Lore

Mein Auto: 2006 325Ci
Rust is inevitable in the pad contact areas of the rotors and will clear up after braking a couple of times. As for rust in the rest of the rotors, that can be avoided by changing to the newer zinc-coated or painted rotors. There are a number of brands and styles to choose from. My car is currently running with Zimmerman Coat-Z rotors, no rust for the past 9 months or so.

2006 325Ci
Old 06-02-2011, 09:48 AM
Past Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Mark@EAC
Mein Auto: e39 5
We carry the zimmerman Z coats and Balo is doing coated rotors now as well.

http://www.eaceuroparts.com/parts/BM.../5510/36152298