Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-02-2011, 05:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 325Ci convertible
2001 323Ci Car Memory options

Hi, new to the forum, and BMW. Thrilled to have a convertible for the summer, and now have so much to learn with the new-to-me marque.

First off, trying t o see what is 'programmed' on the second hand car compared to what the options are in the manual is difficult. Seems the manual comments here and there, but not a full listing. One option I read about was the ability to put down the top with a turn of the key, or holding the unlock button on the remote/key - neither of these worked

SO, for my first question (of many) - has anyone collected a definitive listing of all the options? I would hate to go to a dealer and try and decide what is available and which options I want set while they run up the service bill...

Second question - does anyone have a good source for replacement keys, or is this a dealer only item?
Ads by Google
Old 06-02-2011, 06:23 AM
Supporter of Bimmer Lore

Mein Auto: 2006 325Ci
You want a full-featured (remote control) key that works? Only the dealer can satisfy you. However, while he's at it, the car/key memory features can be customized to your liking as part of the cost of setting the new key up. And what are these options? The E46 Wiki, linked at the top of the page, is your friend (section 2.3.5).

You can also purchase valet (gray) and wallet (black) keys that do not have remote controls. These are small plastic versions of the full keys: the black opens everything manually while the gray only the passenger door. Both can start the engine.

2006 325Ci

Last edited by jcourcoul; 06-02-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 325Ci convertible
Thank you for the fast answer Jcourcoul. Still trying to figure out the keywords to do better searches before posting.

Thanks for your patience too!