Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 05-23-2011, 07:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X 3
Design Issues With The New X 3

I have my new X3. It is my first BMW. It is a nice car and the passers by develop neck pain because they are glued to the car and keep turning the head even after the car passes them..

But I do notice some design issues with the X3 as I start to use it on a day to day basis.

1) The central lock/door open mechanism is in the middle of the dash board and not on the driver side door! - Designers did not think this through. You have a door that will open on touch, with out a key. Driver can get in, but for your family that is waiting to get in, you either use your key [defeats the purpose of touch opening] or climb in and reach to the middle to open the central door lock. The central lock should have been on the driver's side door.

2) The steering wheel has the controls, but they are on the wrong side. A driver, be it left handed or right handed will more than likely use the hand that is resting on the arm rest - ie left hand- to operate the most commonly used buttons, which are volume control and voice command. In BMW X 3 it is on the right side and is not intutive. Instead they have the cruise control button on the left side. In my opinion it should have been the other way around.

3) If you are sitting in the car and waiting for your family to finish shopping and want to listen to the radio/CD, you leave the car on the battery mode, it switches off in 5 minutes? I guess. This is programmed to save the b attery, in case some one forgets to turn off the battery mode when locking the car and leaving. But if you are sitting there listening to the radio and waiting for a "long" time, you have to start the car again and the turn the engine off to come back to the battery mode..

4) I am hearing wind noise inside the car when driving on the highway with out the radio on. I am not sure if others have the same problem?

This is all I got so far..
Ads by Google
Old 05-23-2011, 08:03 PM
Retired

Mein Auto: 12 z & 09 Accord Coupe
These are all your opinion that they are "design defects". I certainly don't see them that way. Except the last one and I don't know where you hear it so...

1. central locking has always been in the center so the other passenger can get to it.
2. I disagree - I use volume and voice by my right hand - cruise is on left as it is not used as much - again every BMW is this way
3. no need to start the car again..take foot off brake and touch start button again - that is in your owner's manual.

RTOM.....

Last edited by Glen E; 05-23-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: (soon to be '11 X3)
Ok so I'm gonna guess on these:

1) No idea...maybe design preference to clean up what's on the door?? No clue...
2) I'm guessing it's b/c most people (statistically) are right handed therefore the most used controld would be near their most used hands?
3) My guess is that with the car being setup with effecient dynamics (ie all the things that give us better gas mileage) the tradeoff is that the battery gets less change (or no charge) unless the X3 is being "dynamic" (ie moving around). I'm going to guess that a lot of car makers will pick up on this...they have to in order to achieve higher MPG per law.
4) well I pick mine up tomorrow....TBD
Old 05-23-2011, 10:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
You have a door that will open on touch, with out a key. Driver can get in, but for your family that is waiting to get in, you either use your key [defeats the purpose of touch opening]

I agree with you on this part of your statement. On my previous vehicle with keyless entry, one touch would unlock the drivers door and two touches would unlock the vehicle for everyone to get in. When it's pouring down rain you almost have to get your keys out rather than use the keyless entry otherwise everyone is standing outside the vehicle waiting to get in until the driver opens his door and reaches into the middle to unlock the vehicle. I planned on getting out my manual to read up on this as it just doesn't seem right! If I read anything of interest, I'll let you know.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:57 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgolf View Post
I have my new X3. It is my first BMW. It is a nice car and the passers by develop neck pain because they are glued to the car and keep turning the head even after the car passes them..

But I do notice some design issues with the X3 as I start to use it on a day to day basis.

1) The central lock/door open mechanism is in the middle of the dash board and not on the driver side door! - Designers did not think this through. You have a door that will open on touch, with out a key. Driver can get in, but for your family that is waiting to get in, you either use your key [defeats the purpose of touch opening] or climb in and reach to the middle to open the central door lock. The central lock should have been on the driver's side door.

2) The steering wheel has the controls, but they are on the wrong side. A driver, be it left handed or right handed will more than likely use the hand that is resting on the arm rest - ie left hand- to operate the most commonly used buttons, which are volume control and voice command. In BMW X 3 it is on the right side and is not intutive. Instead they have the cruise control button on the left side. In my opinion it should have been the other way around.

3) If you are sitting in the car and waiting for your family to finish shopping and want to listen to the radio/CD, you leave the car on the battery mode, it switches off in 5 minutes? I guess. This is programmed to save the b attery, in case some one forgets to turn off the battery mode when locking the car and leaving. But if you are sitting there listening to the radio and waiting for a "long" time, you have to start the car again and the turn the engine off to come back to the battery mode..

4) I am hearing wind noise inside the car when driving on the highway with out the radio on. I am not sure if others have the same problem?

This is all I got so far..
Very quickly:

1. You can change the comfort access settings on the iDrive to unlock all doors on touching the handle. That should solve the problem of multiple people entering.

2. This is a matter of preference but I usually keep both hands on the wheel so I have no problem with the button placement.

3. You can just touch the Start button to engage the electrical components, w/o restarting the car. Better yet just push the radio volume button and you will engage just the radio/CD (and DVD should you decide to watch a movie while your significant other shops around)

4. No such problem. Suggest you check it out with the dealer.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:09 AM

Mein Auto: X 3
Ultimate Driver
1) Thanks for the info on the idrive. It is annoying not being able to open all the doors at the same time. I will look in to this. I vaguely remember the sales person saying something about it is for safety that only driver's door opens on touch. I do not remember him telling me about the setting where you can change the unlock mechanism to open all doors, too much information in a short time I guess.

2) The contorl butoons on the steering wheel, I do agree that it is a matter of preference. Lots of people may like the way it is. I am a lazy sod, I drive with one hand - left hand on the door hand rest - right hand not on the steering wheel - and each time I want to change some thing, I have to bring my hand to the steering wheel to do it. Where as in the Japanese cars, it is on the left side of the steering wheel and the cruise is on the right side of the steering wheel. I have been used to this, and it worked for my lazy driving style. I guess, since BMW is a driver's car, I have to be actively engaged in driving with 2 hands on the wheel all the time..

3) Thanks for this info for radios. I will give it a try.

4) I am still having noticeable gear shifting at slower speeds. Dont know if this is common or can be fixed.

If you come across any other issues please post. Thanks every one for their posts.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Driver View Post
Very quickly:

1. You can change the comfort access settings on the iDrive to unlock all doors on touching the handle. That should solve the problem of multiple people entering.
Thanks! One less page I still have to read in the manual!
Old 05-24-2011, 06:07 AM
Retired

Mein Auto: 12 z & 09 Accord Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the Thrill View Post
Thanks! One less page I still have to read in the manual!
Nahhh...still read the whole thing twice...you would not believe how many people see huge problems with the car in the 1st month that are solved by reading the manual cover to cover.

Remember the manual is "on line" also in the I drive - put the hard copy on the back of your toilet for a few weeks and take small doses...

RTOM.....
Old 05-24-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen E View Post
Nahhh...still read the whole thing twice...you would not believe how many people see huge problems with the car in the 1st month that are solved by reading the manual cover to cover.

Remember the manual is "on line" also in the I drive - put the hard copy on the back of your toilet for a few weeks and take small doses...
I plan on reading it front to back....just have to make time to do it. I actually love getting all the little details on things. I read the "express" book of the basics and looked up things in the manual I needed answers to right away. Guess since I'm driving a loaner while I'm waiting for my re-order I feel like I have extra time to figure things out.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgolf View Post
Ultimate Driver
1) Thanks for the info on the idrive. It is annoying not being able to open all the doors at the same time. I will look in to this. I vaguely remember the sales person saying something about it is for safety that only driver's door opens on touch. I do not remember him telling me about the setting where you can change the unlock mechanism to open all doors, too much information in a short time I guess.

2) The contorl butoons on the steering wheel, I do agree that it is a matter of preference. Lots of people may like the way it is. I am a lazy sod, I drive with one hand - left hand on the door hand rest - right hand not on the steering wheel - and each time I want to change some thing, I have to bring my hand to the steering wheel to do it. Where as in the Japanese cars, it is on the left side of the steering wheel and the cruise is on the right side of the steering wheel. I have been used to this, and it worked for my lazy driving style. I guess, since BMW is a driver's car, I have to be actively engaged in driving with 2 hands on the wheel all the time..

3) Thanks for this info for radios. I will give it a try.

4) I am still having noticeable gear shifting at slower speeds. Dont know if this is common or can be fixed.

If you come across any other issues please post. Thanks every one for their posts.
You're welcome.

Here's a shortcut for the iDrive on the doors (for those who are going through the manual slowly ):

Menu-Settings-Door Locks and then change the "Unlock button" from Drivers door to All doors!