Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 05-23-2011, 07:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 528 Xi
Engine/Transmission Problems with New X3 ?

My new X3 35i which is 3 weeks old has the following issue:

When slowing down to stop for a red light, the closer you are getting to stop, the gears do not shift smoothly. There is a sudden or a noticeable jerk as the gears shhift down towards the very end. To avoid this you have driver faster and break suddenly to bring the car to a stop. My other Japanese branded cars never did this !

My friend who bought a 28i at the same time [both of our cars got manufactured on the same day], is now driving a loaner in 3 weeks. He tells me, his car suddenly reved up and down and then shut itself off. Rather than risk sudden accleration and accident, he got it towed to the dealership.

After noticing my issue with the gear shift and the problem with the engine revving by itself, I am wondering if any one else is having the same issue?
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2011, 10:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Nothing to report here, but I've only been driving mine a little over a week.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:38 AM

Mein Auto: x3 turbo
The down shifting you are noticing is common to this 8spd ZF tranny. Most autos from the past would simply disengage as you slowed down. Problem is when you go to accelerate the tranny has to lock up which takes time. In the X3 the tranny down shifts through each gear and is always ready to go when need be. Think of it like in a manual where you have the ability to downshift through each gear as you slow down. Once you are going really slow, maybe you are in 2nd gear, but you are still engaged in a gear and if you need to speed up quickly you just press the gas and go.

Now, ours down shifts pretty smoothly and is not really an annoyance but is noticeable. If yours is down shifting violently or very loudly then maybe you have another issue with the transmission.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:12 AM

n55X3
Thanks. No it is not annoying, but is noticeable and the car jerks a little. Do not know if this can be adjusted?
Old 05-24-2011, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: x3 turbo
Things like line pressure and shift points can be adjusted electronically but I would suspect as the drivetrain loosens up a bit it will become a bit smoother.

How many miles on your X3?

My wife has about 1300 miles on hers and I drive it occasionally and I do feel the shifts but I think it is better than when we picked it up at the PCD in South Carolina. Also, you may get more used to it over time.

In the end though, if you are not happy with it take it to the dealer and let them feel it. Also, take one of their demos for a ride and see if it exhibits similar characteristics.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:37 AM

We have about 900 miles on it in 3 weeks.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3
I want to say that I read both of your posts with interest. I have noticed a bit of surging slowing down that I assume is the multiple gears in the 8 speed transmission.

Look congrats on the car. It isnt a Japanese car, does not drive like a cream puff, and is not a car that insulates the driver. I, personally, love the way it drives, love the dash set up, and other than having to read the manual many times, have enjoyed it tremendously.
You will either learn to love a German designed car or you will just change it the next time.
Please don't stress over it.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:39 PM

smk146

I did not say, I do not love the car. In fact I really like it. Since I am new to BMW, I am trying to figure out what is normal and what is not.

Thanks to the many participants in this board, I do not have to spend hours trying to read the manual to figure things out .

It is a great car to drive and is an eye turner, let us say neck turner .

I agree this is not a Lexus. I did not buy a Lexus because, as you said it drove like a "cream puff".

I am still disappointed with the X3, 35i, because it does not have the accleration of the X5 45i [I think], that I initally test drove. That X5 was what sold me to a BMW. I know, I know, dont pounce on me, an X3 is not an X5, still I find the accleration to be lacking in the X3.

It is improving as the engine is being broken down [not literally]. I hope from a dead stop the accleration will improve as the time goes.

I will be buying my second BMW [I will be selling my Japanese car]. But I need some thing that is masculine and has good fuel consumption. I do not want to buy another X3, because it was bought for my wife. I am waiting for the new X5 [redesigned] or the new 3 series coming next year.

Until then.. X3 it is

Last edited by dgolf; 05-24-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Interestingly the X5 50i has a 0-60 time of 5.5 seconds, the X3 35i has a time of 5.5 seconds. The 50i is of course a turbo V8 and the X3 is a turbo I6. So the acceleration "feel" should have been virtually the same.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:21 AM

I think that the car behaves a bit differently in the regular transmission mode which shifts more for economy. You have to remember to put it in the sport mode and then it really flies.

I keep it in its regular mode and it has plenty of power for me. I made 27 mpg the other day on the highway and since new have been averaging 23 and I live in very congested Long Island.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:08 AM

UnlceJ

Uncle J
I felt the X3 to be under powered on acceleration from dead stop. This was the case in the new X3, I demo'd and in my present X3, 35i.

Initially, I test drove a 2009 X5, 45i???. WoW.... pure adrenaline.

I haven't checked the specs on the X3 and X5s. I am hoping this lack of acceleration is because it is a new engine and it has to be broken down, before it really behaves like a BMW.

Interestingly, my Honda did not have to be broken down for the acceleration???
Old 05-25-2011, 09:18 AM
Retired

Mein Auto: 12 z & 09 Accord Coupe
I suspect you will still be dissatisfied even after it breaks in..there is no huge difference....the 3.5 X3 is a 300 hp 6 where as the 4.5 is a V8 at around 400 hp. Apples and oranges - I may have missed this - you did not take a test drive before buying the x3?

The 8 speed in econ mode does not take off the same way as the sport position - use that for a better launch....

RTOM.....
Old 05-25-2011, 10:06 AM

Glen
Thanks. Now, tell me what is this sports postion? Is the M/S+ on the gear shift?

BTW, I did test drive the X3, and felt that it was under powered compared to the X5. Still bought the X3 because of the bigger body and the better price/fuel consumption.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:10 AM

Well this may improve your mood about the acceleration. When you put it into drive just move the shifter to the left which engages the sport mode. It makes a huge difference from launch.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Retired

yes...you seem like the kind of guy that abhors reading the manual but really, if you did, you'll probably like the car more....and think there were less "design defects".....

RTOM.....
Old 05-25-2011, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: '11 X3
Yes, just move the shifter over with out engaging manual, i.e. dont press it up or down. That's what DS mode is. (Drive "Sport"). Your CA never told you this when you bought your car?
Old 05-25-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen e View Post
yes...you seem like the kind of guy that abhors reading the manual but really, if you did, you'll probably like the car more....and think there were less "design defects".....
+1
Old 05-25-2011, 10:25 AM

Glen
I wish I had the time to read the manual. I am picking things as I go. Reagrding design defects - It is not a defect, but would have been more practical if the volume control is on the left side of the wheel, to think this throug is why the car designers are paid top dollars - I still think the steering wheel buttons would have been better placed if it was the other way around.

Last edited by dgolf; 05-25-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:27 AM
Retired

you pay 45K or so and don't have time to read the manual?...you are indeed a busy man......

RTOM.....
Old 05-25-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgolf View Post
Glen
I wish I had the time to read the manual. I am picking things as I go. Reagrding design defects - I still think the steering wheel buttons would have been better placed if it was the other way around.
I dunno, this is definitely preference so it's an argument that wont be won, however I drive with my left fore arm on the window sill and my fingers just touching the steering wheel, and place my left hand right above where the volume controls are. Just use my thumb to change and it feels pretty natural to me... But to each his own. (however I think preference doesn't quite qualify as a design defect)
Old 05-25-2011, 10:47 AM

Glen
BMW should be glad that they have ardent Bimmer lovers such as yourself, who will defend BMW, no matter what.

Don't take it too personally, but no need to get personal, when it is not called for.

Last edited by dgolf; 05-25-2011 at 12:00 PM. Reason: :
Old 05-25-2011, 10:51 AM

dest

Nope the CA, did not tell me about the sports mode. I guess he assumed I should know the obvious and the basic about BMW. But, I guess he doesn't know me. Thanks for the information any ways. Appreciate it.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgolf View Post
Glen
BMW should be glad that they have ardent Bimmer lovers such as yourself, who will defend BMW, no matter what.

Don't take it too personally, but no need to get personal, when it is not called for.

Just for your information, I did not pay $45K, that will be for X3 28i, I paid $ 54 K for X3 35i - CASH - for my car. Yes, I still don't have the time to read the manual, if that makes you feel any better.
WOW.... You are so cool... BTW, in trying to show off how much money you have especially with that CASH part, you showed everyone how little time you really do have to even do your research. How you can put enough options to bring a $36,000 car up to $54,000 in options is beyond me, particularly so since its not M or the 35i model... for 45k there really isn't much else to put in that car let alone to justify the extra 9k.... You got ripped off big time kiddo, guess that's the price for trying to pretend like your hot stuff... BUT HEY! Don't take any of it PERSONALLY, its not your fault you buy things blindly.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:09 AM
Retired

well, we agree...I'm done here - I can't (or won't) help those who won't help themselves....good luck!

RTOM.....
Old 05-25-2011, 11:44 AM

I agree. dest and Glen, we should give this a rest. Thank you both for your input.

Last edited by dgolf; 05-25-2011 at 12:00 PM.