Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E63 645ci
Drains

Last year I found myself cleaning these things out once a week during the autumn and in its height, once every couple of days.
They have rubber flaps over the end to help stop the debris getting into the wings but they won't stop it when combined with the heavy rain and eventually block, well not this year, hopefully this addition will simply mean removal of the pollen filters and scoop out the leaves and rubbish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	578315   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	578316  
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2016, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Looks like it should work, unless the leaves breakdown & clog the screen. Then water might try & enter the main fuse box when it has no wear to go?
Old 10-06-2016, 12:58 AM

It won't get that far, I'm in the habbit of checking them very regularly so it's much easier for me this way to just pull the pollen filters and clear the rubbish than to pull all the panels, clear the leaves and get the Hoover out for the wings (as I found myself doing last year).
It's just the nature of where I am, lots of trees here and being on the top of a hill the wind comes straight in off the sea and whips up the leaves, dust and dirt into every knook and cranny you can imagine, this isn't something I'd recommend to everyone but for my environment it's certainly making my life a lot easier.
The mesh is only 2mm square so it's catching the vast majority of rubbish, just need to put some piping round it so it looks a bit better.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:22 AM

Quick Update

Ok, so the idea was good and it did indeed stop all the debris going into the drains but when your forced to clear them on a daily basis even removing the pollen filters can get to be a pain, so a quick re-design was needed.

[IMG][/IMG]

The mesh fits flush under the pollen filter so the leaves can't get under there, now it's just a case of pop the bonnet (hood) and pick out the leaves.

[IMG][/IMG]

My situation is quite severe with these leaves but if there is anyone out there that decides they want to make something similar ensure you take out both pollen filter trays when you're getting your dimensions as they are a slightly different shape.
Materials used was 2mm stainless steel mesh, 10mm rubber edging and 0.2mm marine grade stainless steel wire to tie it in.

I'm now working on a new set since as you can see in the first pic there is a small amount of debris under the gas strut, from there it can work it's way under the plastic wiper trim and end up in the lower drains for the master cylinder and the EBox.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search