Bmw 645 random heavy steering - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:59 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw 645ci 2004
Bmw 645 random heavy steering

Hi,

I'm having a issue with my 2004 71k miles 645. I've looked at all related forums with the active steering faults but found nothing specific to the issue I'm having.

It started a month or so ago where I was driving roughly 40-50mph and the steering went heavier than normal (not much but enough to notice). I didnt think anything of it at the time as before I could get a feel for it, it went back to normal.

Yesterday while traveling 10-15mph when parking it happened again but it was very noticeable (might of felt more noticeable due to the lower speed?). Came back to the car an hour or so later and was fine.

Possibly related issue I have had - a couple of times the dynamic drive fault message has appeared but I suspect that was down battery levels after reading forums. It only appeared after I hadnt driven it for a week or so and disapeared after it had been driven and shut down and started back up/charged the battery.

Due to the above later that day (yesterday) I took it to the garage for a battery check and it couldnt be any healthier, 100% battery health and 100% charge rate

I have checked the fluid levels and for leaks but everything seems ok and nothing out the ordinary.

I'm worried if this is the start of the active steering fault and potentially an expensive fix.

Any help or experience on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Advertisement
Old 02-21-2017, 06:08 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: BMW 640i SE Convertible
Have you tried a reset, which means turning the steering wheel full lock to lock about 5-6 times. Also when you switch into sports mode you feel a change in the steering weight, many people do not realise this is part of the functionality, everyone knows the throttle response changes but not the steering. Not saying this is what is on your car but worth a check?
If the fluids levels are good and no leaks, check it is not overfilled as this can cause an issue.

Always said I would go back to a 6 series
Old 02-21-2017, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw 645ci 2004
I have read about the reset but didnt think it would be applicable to this issue but if it is as simple as that then its worth a go. The level is closer to the max than the min but its hard to tell with those dip stick caps. I will triple check. With the intermitancy of the issue being a couple of weeks to a month it maybe a while till I know if this has helped. Thanks.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
645, active steering, battery, dynamic, heavy steering, leak, power steering

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search