Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #376  
Old 03-04-2013, 01:38 PM
Tinoxx Tinoxx is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: London
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 123
Mein Auto: E64 650I CAB
mattymetzger

Did you make this up or did you buy it?

I like the fact you can control the sound, how do open and close the valve?
__________________
/Users/vc_autos/Desktop/IMG_1603.JPG
Reply With Quote
  #377  
Old 03-04-2013, 01:42 PM
Nitrogen's Avatar
Nitrogen Nitrogen is offline
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: Central California
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 415
Mein Auto: BMW 650i Convertible
Just got my x pipe !!! Sounds great !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1362433261.632792.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	364767   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1362433284.401154.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	364768  
__________________
Sent Via iPhone using BimmerApp
Reply With Quote
  #378  
Old 03-04-2013, 02:10 PM
ch650's Avatar
ch650 ch650 is offline
SVSCME
Location: Livermore, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 486
Mein Auto: 650 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrogen View Post
Just got my x pipe !!! Sounds great !!
Lets here it. Sound clip please.
__________________
2006 650i Coupe, Silver Gray, Black Interior, Dark Birch Trim , Sports Package, Steptronic, Cold Weather, L7 Premium Sound. Hardwired Passport 8500, E/D 1/11/06, Munich drop-off 1/17/06, re-delivery:3/7/06, rear window tint, M-5 replica wheels, Stop Tech pads, Cryo rotors, caliper covers, PS2's
2003 330i (wifes) sold 10/27/06 replaced with 530i (7/21/06 ED) 9/28/06 re-delivery
2001 540i (rear ended & totaled 8/17/05)
1986 535 e28 (beater, but working on restoration)
Reply With Quote
  #379  
Old 03-04-2013, 03:28 PM
mattymetzger's Avatar
mattymetzger mattymetzger is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Grand Bend, Ontario, Canada
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 178
Mein Auto: BMW 645ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinoxx View Post
mattymetzger

Did you make this up or did you buy it?

I like the fact you can control the sound, how do open and close the valve?
I bought the two cut outs from Summit Racing http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qtp-qtec50/overview/

I made the flange, cut a hole into the existing exhaust pipe and welded in a short piece of pipe (all stainless) to make the Y. I still have to route the wire to the center console of the car. The cutouts come with the wiring harness and a really ugly looking switch, I will use the wiring harness but may look for a nicer looking switch or place the switch somewhere out of sight.
The sound in my video is not the greatest quality, sounds a lot better when you actually stand beside the car. Just waiting for the snow to melt so I can take the car outside and do another video. From listening to other videos on YouTube I think I'm not much louder than some guys that have the resonators deleted and a Magnaflow, Eisenmann or whatever muffler installed, but I now have the option of going loud or shut the flaps for a quiet ride. My wife is not a big fan of noisy cars, she can keep the flaps closed but when she heard the car with the flaps open, she said "that sounds like a race car"
__________________

20" wheels 245/35 - 285/30, black grill and blacked out side markers, 10W white LED angel eyes, Eibach lowering springs on Bilstein shocks,
AC Schnitzer pedals, Sprint Booster (what a waste of money), electronic exhaust cut-outs, red brake calipers (painted)
AFE air intake, door laser BMW logo projector lights
Reply With Quote
  #380  
Old 03-04-2013, 10:35 PM
Nitrogen's Avatar
Nitrogen Nitrogen is offline
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: Central California
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 415
Mein Auto: BMW 650i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch650 View Post
Lets here it. Sound clip please.
I will get you a clip as soon as I can otherwise I can just drive it to you so you can hear it.
You are not that far away from me!!! I am now thinking of removing the back 2 mufflers but I need to ask if it will pass smog, you know how cali is with the smog stuff.
__________________
Sent Via iPhone using BimmerApp
Reply With Quote
  #381  
Old 03-05-2013, 01:47 PM
Tinoxx Tinoxx is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: London
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 123
Mein Auto: E64 650I CAB
mattymetzger

Thanks for that I might get this done, please send me or post more pictures

Thanks,
__________________
/Users/vc_autos/Desktop/IMG_1603.JPG
Reply With Quote
  #382  
Old 03-07-2013, 06:11 AM
SMGTHEGHOST SMGTHEGHOST is offline
Registered User
Location: PITTSBURG, CA.
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: 645CI 6M CHIPPED
New to the forum.

SO WHAT WAS THE MOST BENEFICIAL SETUP ON THE DELETE (I,E. TORQUE/POWER INCREASE/SOUND)?
Reply With Quote
  #383  
Old 03-07-2013, 06:17 AM
SMGTHEGHOST SMGTHEGHOST is offline
Registered User
Location: PITTSBURG, CA.
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: 645CI 6M CHIPPED
New to the forum.

SO WHAT WAS THE MOST BENEFICIAL SETUP ON THE DELETE (I,E. TORQUE/POWER INCREASE/SOUND)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	281.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	365195  
Reply With Quote
  #384  
Old 03-07-2013, 07:15 AM
Nitrogen's Avatar
Nitrogen Nitrogen is offline
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: Central California
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 415
Mein Auto: BMW 650i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMGTHEGHOST View Post
SO WHAT WAS THE MOST BENEFICIAL SETUP ON THE DELETE (I,E. TORQUE/POWER INCREASE/SOUND)?
I just did the x pipe and straight pipes leaving the back 2 mufflers there. The increase in power is very noticeable I am not used to it yet I'm often jumping on take off where as before I could do a gradual take off. I didn't think it would yield so much power by just deleting the 3 resonators.
__________________
Sent Via iPhone using BimmerApp
Reply With Quote
  #385  
Old 03-09-2013, 04:52 PM
mattymetzger's Avatar
mattymetzger mattymetzger is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Grand Bend, Ontario, Canada
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 178
Mein Auto: BMW 645ci
Made a better video today. In the video the electronic cutouts are open. It is loud but I do have the option of closing the flaps for a quiet ride. It probably could get a bit annoying driving with the flaps open for a longer distance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=dtBDfIknzws
__________________

20" wheels 245/35 - 285/30, black grill and blacked out side markers, 10W white LED angel eyes, Eibach lowering springs on Bilstein shocks,
AC Schnitzer pedals, Sprint Booster (what a waste of money), electronic exhaust cut-outs, red brake calipers (painted)
AFE air intake, door laser BMW logo projector lights
Reply With Quote
  #386  
Old 03-27-2013, 09:20 PM
asiansensation7 asiansensation7 is offline
Registered User
Location: Columbus
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 44
Mein Auto: 650i/Mustang/Explorer
Just read through this entire thread, lots of good info here. I wanted to chime in and share some of my own experience in dealing with exhaust on my Mustang (which I reconfigured about 8 different times before getting the sound I wanted). A X-Pipe creates a higher pitched raspy sound on V8s with bore/stroke ratios of close to 1. Some really like this sound, some don't. I don't really see the comparison to F1 car sound though, the 4.8L BMW V8 in our cars naturally create a nice rumble due to the engine geometry, not a smooth high pitched note, so X-pipe configurations all sound a bit unnatural to me. For reference, a Ferrari creates its signature smooth revving high pitched note via higher bore/stroke ratio, which means that the piston is traveling less distance per half turn of the crank. As a result, the average piston speed is lower, and the engine can rev smoother and higher (but enough about engine geometry and its effect on sound ).

The front cylindrical resonators seem to be just bullet style mufflers, which generally just dampen the natural exhaust noise but doesn't change the tone. The box towards the middle looks like an acoustic chamber. On my current Mustang I have a similar component made by Mac called the ProChamber. This allows the exhaust gasses to mix and equalize similar to an X-Pipe, but creates a more hollow throaty sound (muscle car rumble). This chamber will naturally dampen the exhaust noise slightly, but will create a deeper exhaust tone when compared to a X-Pipe or H-Pipe.

So:
-Stock is a deep muffled rumble
-Remove front 2 cylindrical resonators and keep resonator box to keep the low rumble and increase volume slightly at WOT. This setup sounds great in my opinion, but the volume increase is very little.
-Remove all 3 resonators and install X-pipe to get higher pitched (and slightly raspy) sound and increase volume. Moving the X-pipe towards the rear of the vehicle shouldn't generate drone on the 650i, it'll just make the sound slightly deeper, which sounds better to my ears.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by asiansensation7; 03-27-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #387  
Old 03-29-2013, 08:29 AM
MakaveliFaison's Avatar
MakaveliFaison MakaveliFaison is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Tampa, fl
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,843
Mein Auto: Bmw E64/5, Maserati GT
Just got mine did this morning. Xpipe straight pipe
__________________

650i sport hud ac schnitzer eibach resognator delete m6 quads akebonos
Reply With Quote
  #388  
Old 06-09-2013, 08:15 AM
08BMW650i 08BMW650i is offline
Registered User
Location: Odessa, TX.
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 25
Mein Auto: 08 BMW 650i
Hey guys. After reading this thread, u guys made me definitely going for resenators delete and X pipe
But I'm thinking about changing size from 2.25 to 2.5. Will that have any effect on performance?
Also I'm thinking about M6 mufflers. Or maybe dual tip mufflers.
Am I going the wrong way?
Thanks guys
Reply With Quote
  #389  
Old 06-09-2013, 09:00 AM
MakaveliFaison's Avatar
MakaveliFaison MakaveliFaison is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Tampa, fl
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,843
Mein Auto: Bmw E64/5, Maserati GT
I think up front was 3inches already. I think pipe size is stepped down after the suitcase
__________________

650i sport hud ac schnitzer eibach resognator delete m6 quads akebonos
Reply With Quote
  #390  
Old 06-09-2013, 09:41 AM
08BMW650i 08BMW650i is offline
Registered User
Location: Odessa, TX.
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 25
Mein Auto: 08 BMW 650i
Sorry. My bad I just went through this thread. And few mentioned it's 2.25 even the magna flow mufflers they mentioned was 2.25
A little better sound is a benefit, but I'm interested more in the fact that the engine acts better
I already removed charcoal filter, replaced stock filter with k&n and I can feel a better smoother performance
And straight forward mod like this that doesn't cost 3k and gives better performance and even better sound.
U can't beat that lol
I enjoy driving it in sport mode with paddle shifter, so I think it will be good mod
So what u guys think about the M6 mufflers or dual tip mufflers and 2.5 instead of the stock 2.25 inlet?
And i guess i will have to get under the car to see where it changes to 2.25
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #391  
Old 03-14-2014, 10:30 PM
Brandovibe Brandovibe is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 79
Mein Auto: 650I
Nice job dude, thanks for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Drop Top View Post
Just left my muffler shop that does all high end cars. Ferrari, Lambo, Aston etc. The guy did my murcielago removed all cats, straight piped into aftermarket exhaust system. Now that was loud.

We put my six on the rack and low and behold I have magna flow mufflers!!! I was told the car had the BMW sports exhaust when I bought her and alot of people here questioned that so I looked for that option and could not find it for the six. Now I know why, there is NO BMW sports exhaust for the six I have magna flow mufflers.

Anyway I told him looking for a better sound and told him about the suggestions made hear. He said the thing to do is remove the front two resonators and place either an X pipe there or H pipe. The x pipe will give a high pitched F-1 sound and the H-pipe a more muscle car. I opted for the X pipe. Then also remove the rear (box resonator) and straight pipe from there to the muffler. 2.5 inch or 60mm all the way. $200 dollars and he said it will sound much better and no droning. The droning is caused from the x pipe placed in the rear near the muffler or just straight pripes. If the x pipe is placed up fron where the front two resonators are you shoudl have no droning. He also said no loss of torque or HP. Getting her done next Tuesday cant wait!
Thank you for that information, what a comprehensive post!
Reply With Quote
  #392  
Old 03-14-2014, 10:33 PM
Brandovibe Brandovibe is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 79
Mein Auto: 650I
Charcoal Filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08BMW650i View Post
Sorry. My bad I just went through this thread. And few mentioned it's 2.25 even the magna flow mufflers they mentioned was 2.25
A little better sound is a benefit, but I'm interested more in the fact that the engine acts better
I already removed charcoal filter, replaced stock filter with k&n and I can feel a better smoother performance
And straight forward mod like this that doesn't cost 3k and gives better performance and even better sound.
U can't beat that lol
I enjoy driving it in sport mode with paddle shifter, so I think it will be good mod
So what u guys think about the M6 mufflers or dual tip mufflers and 2.5 instead of the stock 2.25 inlet?
And i guess i will have to get under the car to see where it changes to 2.25
Thanks


Where is the charcoal filter, and what does removing it do?
Reply With Quote
  #393  
Old 03-14-2014, 10:35 PM
Brandovibe Brandovibe is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 79
Mein Auto: 650I
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiansensation7 View Post
Just read through this entire thread, lots of good info here. I wanted to chime in and share some of my own experience in dealing with exhaust on my Mustang (which I reconfigured about 8 different times before getting the sound I wanted). A X-Pipe creates a higher pitched raspy sound on V8s with bore/stroke ratios of close to 1. Some really like this sound, some don't. I don't really see the comparison to F1 car sound though, the 4.8L BMW V8 in our cars naturally create a nice rumble due to the engine geometry, not a smooth high pitched note, so X-pipe configurations all sound a bit unnatural to me. For reference, a Ferrari creates its signature smooth revving high pitched note via higher bore/stroke ratio, which means that the piston is traveling less distance per half turn of the crank. As a result, the average piston speed is lower, and the engine can rev smoother and higher (but enough about engine geometry and its effect on sound ).

The front cylindrical resonators seem to be just bullet style mufflers, which generally just dampen the natural exhaust noise but doesn't change the tone. The box towards the middle looks like an acoustic chamber. On my current Mustang I have a similar component made by Mac called the ProChamber. This allows the exhaust gasses to mix and equalize similar to an X-Pipe, but creates a more hollow throaty sound (muscle car rumble). This chamber will naturally dampen the exhaust noise slightly, but will create a deeper exhaust tone when compared to a X-Pipe or H-Pipe.

So:
-Stock is a deep muffled rumble
-Remove front 2 cylindrical resonators and keep resonator box to keep the low rumble and increase volume slightly at WOT. This setup sounds great in my opinion, but the volume increase is very little.
-Remove all 3 resonators and install X-pipe to get higher pitched (and slightly raspy) sound and increase volume. Moving the X-pipe towards the rear of the vehicle shouldn't generate drone on the 650i, it'll just make the sound slightly deeper, which sounds better to my ears.

Hope this helps!
Wow, another great informative detailed filled post, thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote
  #394  
Old 03-14-2014, 10:40 PM
Brandovibe Brandovibe is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 79
Mein Auto: 650I
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattymetzger View Post
I bought the two cut outs from Summit Racing http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qtp-qtec50/overview/

I made the flange, cut a hole into the existing exhaust pipe and welded in a short piece of pipe (all stainless) to make the Y. I still have to route the wire to the center console of the car. The cutouts come with the wiring harness and a really ugly looking switch, I will use the wiring harness but may look for a nicer looking switch or place the switch somewhere out of sight.
The sound in my video is not the greatest quality, sounds a lot better when you actually stand beside the car. Just waiting for the snow to melt so I can take the car outside and do another video. From listening to other videos on YouTube I think I'm not much louder than some guys that have the resonators deleted and a Magnaflow, Eisenmann or whatever muffler installed, but I now have the option of going loud or shut the flaps for a quiet ride. My wife is not a big fan of noisy cars, she can keep the flaps closed but when she heard the car with the flaps open, she said "that sounds like a race car"
Where exactly is the cut out, meaning how far back from the front of the car?
Reply With Quote
  #395  
Old 03-14-2014, 11:46 PM
Brandovibe Brandovibe is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 79
Mein Auto: 650I
cant see videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by funktekk View Post
ok here we go:

first up we have my exhaust note pre muffler delete.



then we have same parking spot same camera location after the delete.



then we have my daily stress reliever, a sweeping right going slightly up hill. testing the tires here usually washes all thoughts of work away. i only got it to 80 because I only had one hand on the wheel.



finally we have a WOT pass. I would have loved to keep it planted a little longer, but other cars come up quick when I put the left foot down.




what these videos don't capture well is the boomy low frequency this setup puts out. that frequency hurts my ears. not really the volume but just seems to resonate in my head and give me a headache.

I don't really have a problem with the volume. yes it is loud but that isnt necessarily bad. what bothers menus the low frequency and the burpiness.

it almost sounds like Harley underwater.

to me it doesn't sound "right". it sounds like a car in disrepair.

a set of aftermarket mufflers would probably polish it up without loosing all the edge, but I'm done messing with the exhaust. I'm going back to stock and trying not to feel stupid for doing this in the first place.
All of your vids are private, can you change the settings on them so we can see them please?
Reply With Quote
  #396  
Old 03-15-2014, 07:43 AM
mattymetzger's Avatar
mattymetzger mattymetzger is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Grand Bend, Ontario, Canada
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 178
Mein Auto: BMW 645ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandovibe View Post
Where exactly is the cut out, meaning how far back from the front of the car?
Here is a video with the view from under the car.
__________________

20" wheels 245/35 - 285/30, black grill and blacked out side markers, 10W white LED angel eyes, Eibach lowering springs on Bilstein shocks,
AC Schnitzer pedals, Sprint Booster (what a waste of money), electronic exhaust cut-outs, red brake calipers (painted)
AFE air intake, door laser BMW logo projector lights
Reply With Quote
  #397  
Old 03-20-2014, 02:35 PM
Jon650 Jon650 is offline
Registered User
Location: UK
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: 650i
I had the front canisters taken out and replaced with straight pipes first, and have now had the middle resonator replaced with an x-pipe.

The difference between all three is shown in the video. There was a much bigger difference between the stock and canister deletes than comes across in the video below. There is a marked difference from the first change now the middle box has gone - which did not have any wool in it and was straight through to start with. Stock rear mufflers still.

Before I did this I debated whether to put the xpipe at the front and judging by the sound that the car makes now (ie with xpipe in the same position as the middle box), it has the same exhaust note that has been described by others on here who placed the xpipe at the front. So the jury is out for me as to whether it makes any real difference where the xpipe is placed.

I also looked at the old middle box - in fact all it is are straight through pipes without any crossover of exhaust flows from one side to the other. The pipes just have a box around them which presumably dampens the sound. The replacement of the middle box with an x-pipe changes the sounds of the car when being driven to a more F1 style note and a smoother sound rather than the noise you get from individual pipes.

Hope you find it useful - please post your thoughts.


Last edited by Jon650; 03-22-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #398  
Old 03-21-2014, 04:09 PM
drbbop drbbop is offline
drbbop
Location: Louisiana
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 154
Mein Auto: 2006 650i Vert
I deleted my resonators, put on x-pipe up front. I like the difference at idle, little peddle hear more, step into it, sweet sounds.

Pretty good up grade for 280. including magnaflow x-pipe!
Reply With Quote
  #399  
Old 03-22-2014, 12:05 AM
Mlumb Mlumb is offline
Registered User
Location: Uk
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 23
Mein Auto: 645
Sounds good Jon. Who made up/supplied the x pipe?

Incidentally i got passed by a 6 yesterday on the A64......was mega loud!
Reply With Quote
  #400  
Old 03-22-2014, 08:25 AM
Jon650 Jon650 is offline
Registered User
Location: UK
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: 650i
It was profusion customs - standard 2.5inch x-pipe which exhaust shop fitted fine
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms