Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - current)

X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - current)
The newest sport activity vehicle from BMW is a crossover-coupe style and is expected to appear sometime in 2008!

Old 05-24-2011, 06:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535XI GT
X6 Ride Quality

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a new 2012 X6 35i w/o sport package. My question how is the ride quality? Is it bone jarring? Is it smooth or do you feel every bump in the road?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 05-24-2011, 10:44 AM
Be My Wife.

Send a message via MSN to sunstorm
Mein Auto: BMW, only BMW.
X6 is hard, but with a nice seat will kill the hard-ride.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X6 3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmatharu2011 View Post
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a new 2012 X6 35i w/o sport package. My question how is the ride quality? Is it bone jarring? Is it smooth or do you feel every bump in the road?
I have a '12 X6 3.5+Sport. Not quite what you're getting, but in Sport mode, its certainly stiffer than the non-sport version of the car. I drive in Sport mode almost all the time and I personally don't find the ride harsh. Pretty cool actually. I don't call it harsh, I call it control. Think positive!

My opinion may have to be taken with a grain of salt however as I've driven X5s+Sport since '03 until my jump to the '12 X6. So what feels perfectly acceptable and fun to me may make someone who's used to a Lincoln Town Car barf.

What I can say is that it DOES get a lot more harsh the more people you put in the car, especially in the back seat. I don't know if its really handling different with an extra 500lbs, or if I'm suddenly conscious of people bouncing around in the back seat. With just my 70lb son? No difference. He even takes power naps back there. He'd lay across the whole back bench if I let him (he tries, but I catch it every time -- he think its an empty 747 or something??!!)
Old 06-14-2011, 09:29 AM

Mein Auto: X6
I am not a BMW fanboy. I had an X6 for the past 25 months and sadly still have it. My advice to you is do not buy or lease an X6. The X6 ride is HARSH, bone-jarring and yes you will feel every little stone on the road. Potholes will rudely remind you that you have overpaid (overcharged?). On the other hand, if you like "feeling the road", you will have endless fun just remember to sink more $$$ into your medical saving account to fix your bones as you (inevitably) age. Worse, the quality is poor. Mine was in the shop for 52 full days in 2 years plus many, many half-days waiting for it to be repaired - while listening to crap on Fox TV. At least check the list of X6 recalls first & read the postings all over the Internet about the quality of X6. I had to drive 3 series (loaners) and these had better quality and better rides at 60% less money! Get another BMW, even the X5 had a superior ride. You see I'm not a BMW hater either.

All this poor quality & horrible ride would have been forgiven if the handling is above average. However, the handling is normal for an SUV and certainly worse than their own 3 series.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: M3 vert / X6 50i / K1300S
I'd suggest test driving it first. X6Lemon clearly didn't, and is now stuck with a car he doesn't like, so is forced to bash it on here.

IMHO the handling is exceptional for a car this large, and you do pay a little price in terms of a firm ride for having an SUV that drives almost like a small sports sedan. I hate the way "floaty" SUVs handle, which is why I drive an X6. You'll find that the sport activity package is aesthetic only and does nothing to the suspension - having Adaptive Drive (or not) is what makes the difference, and it's included in the "sport package".

Seattle's roads really are terrible, and I've never noticed (nor have I had complaints from passengers) about a "bone jarring ride". There IS a difference in Adaptive versus not tho (Adaptive seems to soak up the bumps more, and is certainly more comfortable on bends, but is at the same time a little firmer).
Old 06-14-2011, 02:20 PM

alistairg,

My brother: 99.999999% of people test drive cars before they buy one!!!! Love BMW all you want while granting others some IQ and maintaining a hint (just a hint) of doubt.

I'm happy for you if your car is OK. In my case, the quality issue is admitted to by .......... BMW. No less than 18 parts stopped working and were replaced or repaired - from the nav system to the engine. Add 2 major "engine" failures plus 2 major recalls (public knowledge). In my case, the last breakdown was so major it took BMW 31 days to fix. Man, even the side mirrors of these X6 break and some dealers are replacing them with the better X5 side mirrors!!!

Every thing and every being makes mistakes - perfection is the domain of gods, tyrants and fools. BMW is NOT a god, tyrant or fools. BMW is manned by humans who are mere mortals. BMW made a bad car in my case, has low quality issues with the X6 line, and had major issues with other lines (check the fed site NHTSA.gov and/or google lawsuit BMW settlements). Recently, both Z4 and the Mini were recalled due to steering and transmission issues - not minor issues for the hapless drivers of those cars. The quality problems of the X6 impacted sales: per Forbes magazine, BMW sold few X6 units worldwide. Still, tons more than the extremely poor sales of 5 Series GT Yes, BMW does make mistakes.

Let's not cheer low QC/QA else BMW will end up where Mercedes Benz is today. Condi Rice called it the soft bigotry of low expectations. I expect the best from BMW and its customers deserve the best from an $80k car.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:03 PM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
If you think the X6 is harsh, come drive my E46 lol.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:00 AM

It's 2011, so why are cars still offering either:
** superior handling with inferior shock absorption
or
** inferior handling with superior shock absorption

I understand the mechanics of the challenge, but still puzzled as to how come no manufacturer is yet able to crack this mechanical challenge!! I know a few like the rough ride, but I suspect a vast majority would prefer a car that offers both excellent handling and a soft ride.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: MB SL550
Quote:
Originally Posted by X6Lemon View Post
It's 2011, so why are cars still offering either:
** superior handling with inferior shock absorption
or
** inferior handling with superior shock absorption

I understand the mechanics of the challenge, but still puzzled as to how come no manufacturer is yet able to crack this mechanical challenge!! I know a few like the rough ride, but I suspect a vast majority would prefer a car that offers both excellent handling and a soft ride.

Solved long time ago. You may want to test drive an offering from a company for which, some people say, there is no substitute.

Also, words "X6 ride quality", like "warm beer", should not be used in the same sentence.

Last edited by BravoMikeWiskey; 07-21-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:22 PM
Ddwolpert

Mein Auto: 2013 X6 50i
Anyone who thinks the ride on a 5200 lb x6 is harsh should move on to driving a Lexus or something. For Gods sake, if you think x6 is harsh, try a MINI with run flats. Now THAT'S harsh.
I absolutely love the ride on my X6.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: '11 X6 50i; '05 X5 4.4
I just changed out the OEM run flats on my X6 and put standard tires (Nitto Motivo's).. This has made a very noticeable and positive difference to the car.. As with any car with run flats you can run over a penny and tell if it was heads or tails... Just too much road feedback on those stone hard run flats... As for the car itself.. I like he tight "BMW" suspension of this big SUV.. Its not an Explorer.. its an aggressively low riding, tight suspension, high torque, heavy car... Not sure what those that aren't happy with their X were expecting..
Old 04-15-2013, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: Jeep SRT8
I'm coming from a Jeep SRT8. The X6 is downright dreamy!!
Old 04-15-2013, 04:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X6 35i
Having just bought my 2012 X6, I test drove all the competition. I even took my wife along on some of them. The smoothest was my wife's Range Rover with the air ride and though her V8 is a powerhouse, the thing has an aweful squat when accellerating and not easy to control on "sporty" maneuvers - that's with all the optional sport equipment. The Porsche SUV was the harshest and they do not even use the run-flats, worse than the X6 (IMHO). I do not have the sport mode selector on my X6, so I can't answer that.

Based on the comments here, my next tire change will probably not involve run-flats

2012 BMW X6 35i
2005 BMW x5 4.4i - Blue with Performance Package (sold)

Old 05-20-2013, 01:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 3.5d
I would be less concerned about the ride of an X6 and more concerned about overall quality. I agree totally with X6Lemon; there are inherent reliability issues with the X6 and many other bimmer models. I have owned '92 325iS, '01 X5 3.0L, '03 X5 4.4L and currently '09 X6 3.5L. It's in service as I write this with three problems which will cost $3300 after all is said & done. Hoping I can get something for it so I can buy something more reliable.