Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 05-21-2011, 10:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 12 528xi, 12 x5 35d,11 z4
z4 as daily driver in NYC

Does anyone use a z4 as a daily driver NYC? If so how is it? Fuel economy, rft on pothole roads, etc?? I appreciate your feedback. Thanks!
2012 x5 35d
2012 528xi

Past rides
2010 BMW 528i
2009 BMW 328xi
2006 Bmw X3
2004 BMW 325i

SOON to be 2013 AH3
Advertisement
Old 05-24-2011, 10:00 AM

Mein Auto: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dima123 View Post
Does anyone use a z4 as a daily driver NYC? If so how is it? Fuel economy, rft on pothole roads, etc?? I appreciate your feedback. Thanks!
I drive in the city regularly on my 30i with 18" rims. Mileage not bad, in city, low 20s, but I would be a bot careful on potholes. 1) because of the car's low clearance, and 2) the low profile rims, unless you go with the 17s, which may be a bit less likely to sustain damage.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: 12 528xi, 12 x5 35d,11 z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeart View Post
I drive in the city regularly on my 30i with 18" rims. Mileage not bad, in city, low 20s, but I would be a bot careful on potholes. 1) because of the car's low clearance, and 2) the low profile rims, unless you go with the 17s, which may be a bit less likely to sustain damage.
Yea I know; about these damn potholes. In past year I had two punctures and a broken rim on 328xi rft. How are the run flats on NYC roads?? Since this car doesn't come with a camera is it worth getting the parking sensors??
2012 x5 35d
2012 528xi

Past rides
2010 BMW 528i
2009 BMW 328xi
2006 Bmw X3
2004 BMW 325i

SOON to be 2013 AH3
Old 05-25-2011, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dima123 View Post
Yea I know; about these damn potholes. In past year I had two punctures and a broken rim on 328xi rft. How are the run flats on NYC roads?? Since this car doesn't come with a camera is it worth getting the parking sensors??
RFTS, have had these for so many years (on my last Z4 and my RX8) that I wouldn't even know what a non RFT feels like, LOL. By how are they, do you mean loud? Or more susceptible to rim damage?

Parking sensors, guess a matter of preference. Depends how good you are at parallel parking. I never missed not having them,. and since the Zed is a small car, its not that hard to park, just the long nose and slightly high rear makes the car a bit tricky to get used to at first, but after parking 4 or 5 times I got the hang of it, you just have to figure out exactly when to cut the wheel, once you get the hang of it, it'll become second nature. I also use the side mirrors turned all the way down towards the curb to avoid curb rash. The rear wheel flares make this a tad tricky to judge as well, but between this and my 07 for 4 years total, never touched a curb or bumped another car and I drive weekly in the city and always street park. Hope this helps.

BTW, must post pics when you take delivery in the city. Not alot of forum pics of Zeds in city settings, would be a nice change..

On a side note, if you are going to use this as your primary driver year round, you will need a set of winter tires/rims to swap out. With a good set of snow tires, like Bridgestone Blizzak RFTs, it seems the car will plow through anything.

Last edited by supremeart; 05-25-2011 at 06:00 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3, 2010 328xi coupe
Hey Supremeart - beautiful car. Got a question for you. I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Z4. I've had x-drive on my last couple of cars and (as a fellow LI'er) I'm concerned about winter driving. Do I really need to have four snow tires or will two in the rear (for traction) do. Also, separate rims? or can I get by remounting on "stock" rims?
Old 05-25-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montfish View Post
Hey Supremeart - beautiful car. Got a question for you. I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Z4. I've had x-drive on my last couple of cars and (as a fellow LI'er) I'm concerned about winter driving. Do I really need to have four snow tires or will two in the rear (for traction) do. Also, separate rims? or can I get by remounting on "stock" rims?
Thanks! I would definitely say go with all 4, will definitely affect steering, cornering traction and braking if the front tires are left as stock. To be safe I would say swap all 4 no doubt. If you ask TireRack, I am sure they will have a list of reasons why all 4 tires should match for best results.

You could swap out tires, but believe it or not, it may not be that much more cost effective. I look at it this way, swapping tires 2 times annually, at the cheapest, looking at maybe $100 to do it. So $200 a year, add to that, the risk that your rims could be scraped or damaged sometimes when swapping tires, not saving that much after 3 years over just getting a set of inexpensive winter rims and swapping the wheels yourself with a jack and a tire iron.

Tire rack has decent rims for under $200 each, even under $100 if you get 17". IMO, just easier for me to swap wheels myself. I even like the rims I got more than OEM (Breyton Race GTS). My package was for 18" and I got rims that were higher end, so I paid nearly $2000 for tires, rims, and TPMs shipped from Tire Rack. You can definitely find something for under $1400 though..

Last edited by supremeart; 05-25-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3, 2010 328xi coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeart View Post
Thanks! I would definitely say go with all 4, will definitely affect steering and cornering traction if the front tires are left as stock. To be safe I would say swap all 4 no doubt. If you ask TireRack, I am sure they will have a list of reasons why all 4 tires should match for best results.
Yeah - that's what I suspected. Makes sense. Good points on the rims. Thanks for the advice.