Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 05-24-2011, 09:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: (soon to be '11 X3)
What did everyone pay for the tire/wheel protection?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I originally went in to the dealership not wanting to get the package, but a guy a know (a friend who would not lie to me) is the body shop manager and he really suggested I do it b/c without it he's seen people really get taken for replacement costs.

For 5 years it was like 1550.....good, bad or normal?...I live in northern NJ
Advertisement
Old 05-25-2011, 12:25 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mole7374 View Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I originally went in to the dealership not wanting to get the package, but a guy a know (a friend who would not lie to me) is the body shop manager and he really suggested I do it b/c without it he's seen people really get taken for replacement costs.

For 5 years it was like 1550.....good, bad or normal?...I live in northern NJ
Not bad considering you MUST replace them if damaged in any way as they cannot be fixed. One of my major gripes with the new X3 mind you.

And the problem is that RFT are much more expensive than regular tires. Case in point: My Michelin A/S were $163.00 my wife's Conti A/S RFT are $247. Adds up if you hit a pot hole and take out two on one side as you more than likely have to replace all four because of the balancing of the awd systems. That is over $1k right there.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 05-25-2011, 12:30 AM
Retired

Mein Auto: 12 z & 09 Accord Coupe
about 1250 in south Florida....as long as they have run flats, it's a must...

RTOM.....
Old 05-25-2011, 05:01 AM

Mein Auto: x3 turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
Not bad considering you MUST replace them if damaged in any way as they cannot be fixed. One of my major gripes with the new X3 mind you.
That is not entirely true. If you get a puncture in a run flat you can plug it just the same as you would any other tire. $20 at any local tire store and you are on your way. Or you can get a tire puncture repair kit for like $7 and a little 12v compressor and that will make a decent roadside kit to cover most flats. Now if you have a gash in the sidewall then obviously you will need to replace. If you set your wheel out of round then in most cases you will need to buy a new wheel.

I've been driving a long time and over the last 20 years I've had maybe 3 flat tires, all results of punctures and all of which have been repairable. I've had one damaged wheel too due to a pot hole. But for $1550 you can buy a couple if not 3 new wheels. You really think you are going to go through 3 wheels in 5 years? Further more you can often times make a claim with your local municipality for failure to maintain roadway and you may be able to get some if not all compensation for damage. Just have to document nicely and make the claim. For us skipping the tire insurance was an easy decision.

Another thing to think about is the size of your wheel. For those running 20" low pro tires then yes they are a bit more expensive to replace and you may be at higher risk for damaging a wheel. But still, you could buy 2 new wheels for $750 each. If you have 17" wheels then you run a very very low risk of damaging the wheel unless you really smack something hard.

Last edited by n55x3; 05-25-2011 at 05:07 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:22 AM
Retired

About 4 years ago I traveled to the BMW dealerships in south florida with the Continental rep to educate the staff on their run flats. We held a series of seminars in dealership for the sales staff and I learned two things from him:
1. yes they can be plugged as said above, but not recommended as the plugs don't hold as well as a conventional tire due to tread construction/formulation. But he was not screaming "don't do it" either........
2. always run the RFT's at 1 -2 lbs above what the door sill says for max tire life. That small amount of pressure will not cause it to run harder and tread goes 20% longer. What is critical is don't run them underinflated, as the sidewall will grind the tread down quickly due to it's rigidity.

RTOM.....

Last edited by Glen E; 05-25-2011 at 05:28 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:29 AM

Mein Auto: x3 turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen E View Post
What is critical is don't run them underinflated, as the sidewall will grind the tread down quickly due to it's rigidity.
This is an important and relative statement. If you get a puncture in the tread and run your run flats for a couple weeks with little or no air pressure you run a very high risk of damaging the stiff sidewall (stiff sidewall is what makes a rft a rft!) You'll see a crease develop on the inside. This was even more of a problem when tmps were not in place because people had no idea they had a flat. With the advent of the tpms you should be able to quickly recognize a tire that is going flat and react quickly enough to repair with no risk.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:33 AM
Retired

I might mention that he was adamant that you don't wait for the TMPS to kick in, as sometimes they can not trigger unitl you are 4 -5 lbs down...and tread wear started even 2 -3 lbs down. He was adamant that we don't rely on nanny systems and practice preventative maint and check pressures every week or two - when you wash your car, etc...

just common sense, I think....and really more for the idiots that don't change their oil, read the owner's manual and just drive the car into the ground......in other words, the other 98% of X3 owner's that do not post here....LOL

RTOM.....

Last edited by Glen E; 05-25-2011 at 05:40 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe
As with all extended warranties, tire/wheel protection is a profit maker for the dealer. The likelihood of needing $1200 - $1500 of repair/replacement over the course of the coverage period is very low.

I assume there are a lot of restrictions on what is covered as with most tire/wheel warranties. It looks like the BMW plan is run by Safe-Guard Products. The BMW brochure mentions that replacement is only for road hazards, so there are likely a lot of circumstances that will not be covered. Another tire warranty product defines Road Hazard as: "Road Hazards are defined as objects and road conditions such as potholes, rocks, wood debris, metal parts, plastic or composition scraps, or other item causing tire damage other than normal wear and tear."

If anyone has the actual terms of the BMW contract I would be interested in seeing them.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: '11 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrir View Post
As with all extended warranties, tire/wheel protection is a profit maker for the dealer. The likelihood of needing $1200 - $1500 of repair/replacement over the course of the coverage period is very low.

I assume there are a lot of restrictions on what is covered as with most tire/wheel warranties. It looks like the BMW plan is run by Safe-Guard Products. The BMW brochure mentions that replacement is only for road hazards, so there are likely a lot of circumstances that will not be covered. Another tire warranty product defines Road Hazard as: "Road Hazards are defined as objects and road conditions such as potholes, rocks, wood debris, metal parts, plastic or composition scraps, or other item causing tire damage other than normal wear and tear."

If anyone has the actual terms of the BMW contract I would be interested in seeing them.
See that right there would defeat the point of the tire protection package for me. I got a big nail in one of my RFT in my 335 and I just got it plugged up. Perhaps not the best solution but I'll take $15 over $300 any day. RFT are extremely hard and so a lot of things on the road (glass, screws, etc) are less likely to stick to the tire and puncture (although clearly not impossible). Anyways, the main attraction in my mind of the tire protection program would have been that its for 5 years and I am sure to go through at least one set of tires in 5 years as RFT typically only last 15-20k miles. If they come back and say well we don't cover normal wear and tear then I wouldn't waste my time short of setting up a bed of nails in front of my car and running over it when its time to change my tires.. lol.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrir View Post

To actually get a wheel replacement I believe the tire can't hold air. Has not happened to me personally but I know I've read on here or e90 about people getting denied tire/wheel replacement even though the wheel is bent, because the tire still holds air. Also, if the tread is very low and you get a puncture, don't expect a replacement tire.

Second ED ???
Old 05-25-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsublime View Post
To actually get a wheel replacement I believe the tire can't hold air. Has not happened to me personally but I know I've read on here or e90 about people getting denied tire/wheel replacement even though the wheel is bent, because the tire still holds air. Also, if the tread is very low and you get a puncture, don't expect a replacement tire.
Maybe I will just happen to run over a few nails every 7 or 8k miles and avoid the argument that they punctured due to low tread from the dealer... (evil laugh)
Old 05-25-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dest149 View Post
See that right there would defeat the point of the tire protection package for me. I got a big nail in one of my RFT in my 335 and I just got it plugged up. Perhaps not the best solution but I'll take $15 over $300 any day. RFT are extremely hard and so a lot of things on the road (glass, screws, etc) are less likely to stick to the tire and puncture (although clearly not impossible). Anyways, the main attraction in my mind of the tire protection program would have been that its for 5 years and I am sure to go through at least one set of tires in 5 years as RFT typically only last 15-20k miles. If they come back and say well we don't cover normal wear and tear then I wouldn't waste my time short of setting up a bed of nails in front of my car and running over it when its time to change my tires.. lol.
My 2008 328i has over 30k on the OEM tires. Just checked them and they are all at 6/32s. They might last to 60k at the rate they are going!
Old 05-25-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsublime View Post
I have read this too about the wheels. It could be unusable but as long as it holds air it is not covered. Will this warranty potentially pay off for some people (who are honest)? Of course. But the probability is very low any particular person will get the pay off (again assuming they are honest).

BTW I love this bit of marketing drivel from the BMW tire protection brochure: "Ultimate peace of mind. You no longer have to worry about unnecessary financial hardship in the event of damage due to a road hazard." Apparently since I would have pre-paid to have my damaged tire replaced then I have purchased peace of mind? What a truck load of $hit.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: x3
I buy package policy insurance with my plates with a $200 deductable so if I damage a wheel $200.00 later I have a new wheel. I would never buy the tire and wheel warranty, or the paint protecting I'm a painter and the factory paint is awsome.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:02 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
One thing to keep in mind. If it is a long weekend like this one. No matter what you pay with RFT's you will be out a vehicle until the shop reopens and they have the tire in stock.

I mention this as my wife has RFT's and I don't. yesterday I got a screw in the tread. After 15 minutes with a tire plug kit and my compressor I was up and running.

When my wife's RFT were punctured last year after several hundred dollars and no vehicle for three days (holiday weekend) her vehicle was fixed.

Something to keep in mind with RFT's.

Keep a tire fix kit with compressor in the trunk regardless of insurance or not.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more

Last edited by Evlengr; 05-30-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
One thing to keep in mind. If it is a long weekend like this one. No matter what you pay with RFT's you will be out a vehicle until the shop reopens and they have the tire in stock.

I mention this as my wife has RFT's and I don't. yesterday I got a screw in the tread. After 15 minutes with a tire plug kit and my compressor I was up and running.

When my wife's RFT werer punctured last year after several hundred dollars and no vehicle for three days (holiday weekend) her vehicle was fixed.

Something to keep in mind with RFT's.

Keep a tire fix kit with compressor in the trunk regardless of insurance or not.
+1 - BTW, plugs work on RFTs just fine. My RFT got a huge 3 inch screw in them, just took it to a gasoline station got it plugged up and they have been running fine no problems. (This was over 4,000 miles ago...)
Old 05-30-2011, 03:42 PM

Mein Auto: 12 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dest149 View Post
+1 - BTW, plugs work on RFTs just fine. My RFT got a huge 3 inch screw in them, just took it to a gasoline station got it plugged up and they have been running fine no problems. (This was over 4,000 miles ago...)
I agree, I have put plugs in my RFT's on my vette twice, with no issues whatsoever. Admittedly I was not doing 150 mph runs but had no issues with the plugs in normal driving. The tire dealers would have you replacing ANY tire that gets a nail vice plugging it.