Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 10-17-2012, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325XI
Nike is the final nail in the coffin for those that can't accept Lances guilt
Old 10-17-2012, 10:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Audi a4 quattro 6/MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by helter View Post
Nike is the final nail in the coffin for those that can't accept Lances guilt
Jus saw that on CNN. Burn.

Not like he was the only one. Wish he would have come clean a log time ago.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:31 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Mein Auto: 325iT
It looked like Nike was going to stick by LA, but I'm sure after they were mentioned in connection to a payoff to the UCI , they decided enough was enough and they had to distance themselves from this. The wording of their statement was very interesting. It talked about being deceived by LA for ten years.
I guess the old axiom isn't true... Not all publicity is good publicity.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1338939628
"I May Be Going To Hell In A Bucket But At Least I'm Enjoying The Ride"
Old 10-17-2012, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: F10 MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinSand View Post
Jus saw that on CNN. Burn.

Not like he was the only one. Wish he would have come clean a log time ago.
A lot of people who follow cycling don't think this is as much about the fact that he doped (most if not all of the peleton is juiced to some degree IMO) but how he repeatedly denied his involvement and then went out of his way to destroy people who dared to speak the truth. This list is long, Kimmage, Simeoni, Betsy Andreu, Greg Lemond and many others. Defending yourself is one thing, conducting a full scale war using Nike, Trek and Oakley's money is another.

The next big thunk we will hear is that Livestrong doesn't promote cancer research. Oh wait, it doesn't, it's only an advocacy group for Cancer patients.......and a cash cow for a cheat.

22 Retired and thoroughly enjoyed Bimmers
Old 10-17-2012, 02:21 PM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Mein Auto: Duh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ademitt View Post
The next big thunk we will hear is that Livestrong doesn't promote cancer research. Oh wait, it doesn't, it's only an advocacy group for Cancer patients.......and a cash cow for a cheat.
There was a good investigative story published earlier this year about the foundation: http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor....html?page=all

Two more thumps...

Radio Shack and Anheuser Busch drop him.

Last edited by ///M3lissa; 10-17-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:15 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Yogi-ism: It's Tiger Woods all over again.

Last edited by MatWiz; 10-17-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:45 PM

Mein Auto: 4Runner-BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
Yogi-ism: It's Tiger Woods all over again.
Yes, but without the 'wood'. (perhaps really small testicles from steroid use though...)
Old 10-17-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsdad View Post
Yes, but without the 'wood'. (perhaps really small testicles from steroid use though...)
That would be testicle as in singular.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:51 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ademitt View Post
That would be testicle as in singular.
I wanted to say "+1" but that would give the impression that I say that he has 2 testicles. So I'm just going to say that I agree.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:49 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Guess i'm the only one who is like "WGAS". He entertained. That was his job and he did it well.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:21 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

And now Trek has dropped him. Corporate sponsors are running from him as fast as they can. Also, apparently, the Spanish prosecutors office is looking into weather he broke any drug laws while he was living there. And still no statement from LA...

Old 10-18-2012, 07:29 AM

And I thought denial was a river in Egypt.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:02 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...o-radio-millar

Finally, the voice of reason. I do hope there's light at the end of the tunnel. Cycling is too great a sport to be dragged down by what now seems to be the greatest global sporting fraud in history.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:12 AM
In a ton of debt...

Mein Auto: Cars
Sigh... I am going to vote with my feet and relegate my several yellow livestrong workout shirts to toilet floor moping duties and car washing duties.

'02 Porsche 911
'04 BMW 545i
'06 Chevy Silverado 1500
'07 BMW 335i
'08 Lexus RX400H
Old 10-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Psychology Reversalist

sigh... I am going to vote with my wallet and stop donating to cancer charities.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan2263 View Post
And now Trek has dropped him. Corporate sponsors are running from him as fast as they can. Also, apparently, the Spanish prosecutors office is looking into weather he broke any drug laws while he was living there. And still no statement from LA...
Guy is worth somewhere north of $100 million...he doesn't need to answer to anyone. In a few years he'll write a book, they'll pay him handsomely, then he'll do the talk show circuit.

This isn't as ridiculous as the Tiger Woods thing but it's close...
Old 10-19-2012, 05:51 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
Guy is worth somewhere north of $100 million...he doesn't need to answer to anyone. In a few years he'll write a book, they'll pay him handsomely, then he'll do the talk show circuit.

This is far worse than the "Tiger Woods thing". This story is about much more than one man and has far reaching affects on the entire pro cycling world.
Not only are sponsors running away from LA as fast as they can, they are now leaving the sport entirely. (Rabobank, cyclings longest standing team sponsor, announced their withdrawal this morning sighting this issue as the cause) Additionally, Michele Ferrari, LA's doping doctor, is being investigated and linked to a money laundering scheme involving many pro teams, along with athletes from other sports, which cleaned their money so they could not only buy drugs, but also avoid taxes.
And Cycling Australia is falling apart. Their director, a former pro, resigned today and admitted to doping during his career. Also, They are having to deal with sorting through which coaches and team organizers are linked to doping scandals.
I said when this all started, and it seems to be happening, that when the truth came out, it would shake the cycling world to its very foundations. That's happening. Every day brings new revelations and more people are losing jobs. Eventually, the entire hierarchy will need to be rebuilt. And all because one man had a pathological need to win at all costs.
We are seeing far more than a scandal with just a few guys, it's the entire sport. Cycling will survive, but the organization will look a lot different when this is over.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:55 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post

Also, he doesn't need to answer to anyone because he made loads of money off his cheating? In other words, the end always justifies the means?
And LA will never admit to his cheating. To do so would open him up to all manner of lawsuits and then, bye bye $100 million.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:17 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
And all because one man had a pathological need to win at all costs.
The whole industry was doing this, and this is the fault of one man? This looks like the famous cutting your nose to spite your face. If you support that the truth should come out as a moral principle regardless of the consequences, then so be it. But if you want the truth out and are upset that it ruins the whole sport, then I'd have to ask, why didn't they just let it go away with hm? He retired. Let it go and let the charities and industry that was built because of him to continue. It's a hard choice to make, but whatever choice was made, you have to take it with the consequences.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:31 AM

My opinion about any steroid use is the same today as it was when I commented on Barry Bonds 8 years ago:

Quote:
By condoning illegal drug use in athletes (Drugs that have been proven to be damaging to internal organs, sometimes resulting in death) is teaching future generations that its okay to shorten ones life in order to be "#1". Ask yourself, would you encourage your child to smoke cigarettes? How about to take steroids to perform better in high school athletics? I wouldn't. Whether athletes like it or not, children look at them as role models, and tend to want to be "just like them" at any costs. Remember how "smart" you were about making life or death choices as a teenager?

On a side note, if we're consciously going to allow steroid use in our minds, then all athletes should have access to them legally. To allow some access to illegal drugs to enhance performance is giving advantage to those who are willing to risk their life to pursue enhanced athletic ability is simply not fair. And in sports, making a level playing field for all is what the competition aspect of sports is all about. Those who went outside what the rules and regulations to further enhance their performance cheated. Its that simple. Strip them of any titles if it can be proven without a doubt.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:19 PM
gashlycrumb

Mein Auto: 325i
Quote:
This is far worse than the "Tiger Woods thing". This story is about much more than one man and has far reaching affects on the entire pro cycling world.
Not only are sponsors running away from LA as fast as they can, they are now leaving the sport entirely. (Rabobank, cyclings longest standing team sponsor, announced their withdrawal this morning sighting this issue as the cause) Additionally, Michele Ferrari, LA's doping doctor, is being investigated and linked to a money laundering scheme involving many pro teams, along with athletes from other sports, which cleaned their money so they could not only buy drugs, but also avoid taxes.
And Cycling Australia is falling apart. Their director, a former pro, resigned today and admitted to doping during his career. Also, They are having to deal with sorting through which coaches and team organizers are linked to doping scandals.
I said when this all started, and it seems to be happening, that when the truth came out, it would shake the cycling world to its very foundations. That's happening. Every day brings new revelations and more people are losing jobs. Eventually, the entire hierarchy will need to be rebuilt. And all because one man had a pathological need to win at all costs.
We are seeing far more than a scandal with just a few guys, it's the entire sport. Cycling will survive, but the organization will look a lot different when this is over.
that's a big wake of destruction, didn't realize it was that bad
Old 10-19-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
This is what they should have done with the US banking system. Let it burn.
From the ashes rise new ones.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:28 PM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by milobloom242 View Post
that's a big wake of destruction, didn't realize it was that bad
I would suggest to anyone who really wants to know, go to www.cyclingnews.com

They've been updating the story as things happen. We still haven't seen the end of the ripples this is causing.

I have stated previously, I have made money do to the "lance effect". And I'm neither a fan or hater of LA. I think the soap opera is quite entertaining. However, as a cycling fan and one time racer, I would prefer to see the sport cleaned up. We are truly in for quite the storm; people will lose jobs, some will be jailed, reputations will be destroyed, and the hierarchy of the cycling establishment will be forced to step aside. But hopefully, after the storm, we'll have a much cleaner sport where hard work is worth more than what doctor you have.

Oh, also, Lance didn't win races just because he was doped. Mostly, they all were. He won because he paid attention to every detail and worked harder than everyone else. Still doesn't excuse what he, or any of the others have done.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:36 PM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Mein Auto: Duh!
It will be interesting to hear what UCI announces Monday morning.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Also, he doesn't need to answer to anyone because he made loads of money off his cheating? In other words, the end always justifies the means?
And LA will never admit to his cheating. To do so would open him up to all manner of lawsuits and then, bye bye $100 million.
He was an entertainer and he entertained. The laws are irrelevant (and totally without merit - like marijuana laws and miscegenation laws, they're invasive and have no place in the personal/professional lives of others). He should pack up and move outside the reach of the hypocritical US. Live out life somewhere peaceful and like I said, come back in a few years and collect a few more million for writing a book that says nothing...

Last edited by brkf; 10-19-2012 at 07:44 PM.