Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 05-25-2011, 05:42 PM
------------

Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i
Office and ATT iPhone

I can't seem to get my iPhone 4 to work with office in my new X3. It pairs acknowledging the "additional features" but no emails or texts, no calendar. Have seen some threads about other devices (particularly with Verizon) not working but no threads i can find about ATT iphones.

Are others with this device seeing Office functionality?

Robbie

Last edited by rchaas; 05-25-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 05-25-2011, 05:46 PM
Retired

Mein Auto: 12 z & 09 Accord Coupe
ATT currently not working with cal and email...address book comes over...that's it...updates coming..

RTOM.....

Last edited by Glen E; 05-25-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:52 PM
------------

Yeah, noted the contacts were there. I'll await updates. How are updates disseminated?

Thanks!

Robbie
Old 05-25-2011, 05:54 PM
Retired

dealer update I think....

RTOM.....

Last edited by Glen E; 05-27-2011 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:04 PM
------------

So, does BMW notify of available updates? Or prob just keep an eye out on this forum...

answer: bmw.com/online

Robbie

Last edited by rchaas; 05-26-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0 & 2008 750Li
I have done extensive research on this matter. We can't blame BMW for his one. It is an Apple shortcoming. The iPhone is missing "message access profile (MAP)" bluetooth profile. This is what the car needs in order to make Office pull info from the phone. Owners of Ford's Sync equipped cars can't do a lot of things either and they are just as pissed Currently, there are very few phones that support MAP. Only tar newest blackberries, running version 6.0 are MAP compatible. I have contacted Apple about it. They could not give me an answer as to if and when MAP will be included. Hope this was helpful.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:15 PM
Retired

Absolutely true, BMW is just waiting for apple to flip the switch. And as far as I can tell, the functions should come thru without an update as the com boxes are set up to handle it. That is my GUESS, not gospel...

RTOM.....
Old 06-03-2011, 01:52 PM

Maybe we'll get some good news from Mr. Jobs on Monday. Keeping my fingers crossed. I would really love song title info for streaming bluetooth.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: Cadillac CTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen E View Post
Absolutely true, BMW is just waiting for apple to flip the switch. And as far as I can tell, the functions should come thru without an update as the com boxes are set up to handle it. That is my GUESS, not gospel...
Finding any real information on this is next to impossible! The more I look into this the more I fear that the MAP feature is hardware related. Only the newest 4g android phones (Verizon) have streaming Bluetooth audio (A2DP), and as far as I know, people with older android phones can not simply grab this functionality (or profile) by downloading an app or software update. I'm assuming this is the same for MAP, but I really hope I'm wrong. Does anybody for certain if Bluetooth profiles are software or hardware related?

On a side note, I just got a Thunderbolt a couple of months ago and I thought this phone was supposed to have everything! In the last month, through Verizon, Samsung and LG released their latest and greatest 4G phones and BOTH don't have MAP. I'm VERY curious to know if the new iphone (whenever it comes out) will have MAP because I may have to switch phones. However, I absolutely refuse to get a Blackberry!!!

Edit: Just saw that the Droid x2 by Motorola has MAP incase anybody is interested. However, I just looked up info on the Motorola Atrix (AT&T), a 4g phone that is newer than the X2 and it doesn't have MAP. This begs the questions.....why aren't the newer phones getting this feature????

Last edited by tdhoosier; 06-06-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:30 PM

Well, no news from Apple regarding MAP in iOS5. I guess we'll have to wait till the fall to see if it is included.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
So I need to upgrade my phone. What phone/carrier am I going to have to use to be able to get emails/Facebook/Twitter in the car?
Old 06-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Retired

Some blackberry's are the only ones that work now...personally I would never decide my phone by what I can get in my car. The operation for both personal and business is too great that I need to see the car stuff.. And sometime this will be behind us when apple and othrs open up their architecture....

RTOM.....
Old 06-06-2011, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Some blackberry's are the only ones that work now...personally I would never decide my phone by what I can get in my car. The operation for both personal and business is too great that I need to see the car stuff.. And sometime this will be behind us when apple and othrs open up their architecture....
I don't disagree on that, but if I have a few options that would actually work with the vehicle, I'd consider those first. So blackberry is it? That sucks.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:29 PM
Retired

a few sales guys tell me that some sony's work too, but I'm not buying a sony phone...with the changes today made in Apple's iOS 5, I'm staying in the Apple camp.

RTOM.....
Old 06-07-2011, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: Cadillac CTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the Thrill View Post
I don't disagree on that, but if I have a few options that would actually work with the vehicle, I'd consider those first. So blackberry is it? That sucks.
Supposedly the Droid X2 works through Verizon. I'm sure any Verizon store would let you test this out in your car before purchasing.

You can find this information out by visiting a manufacturers website. The specs or technical information for a specific phone will list the Bluetooth functionalities. You'll want the phone to have MAP, but you'll also want to make sure it has the streaming audio function too (A2DP).

However, if I were you I'd just wait a couple of months. In my opinion, there are no phones (that I've found...you may find others) out there that justify a purchase just to hook up to your iDrive. Android and Apple lead the way with their operating system and the one android phone (droidX2) I've found with MAP is not 4G. Only the newest phones are going to have 4G, and internet speed on 4G phones is outstanding! I get an average of 5 mbps....this is faster than my DSL.

This is still a new technology; MAP functionality at this time last year was still a rumor. In addition to BMW, Ford also needs MAP to work with it's myFord Touch system. Why is this important? Ford is and has been releasing this system in a LOT of it's cars (a lot more Ford drivers need this tech vs. BMW drivers). The demand for MAP will increase greatly, but you'll have to play the waiting game if you want the very best of everything. Two phones that I'd keep an eye on that are 'rumored' to be coming out before fall are the Motorola Droid Bionic (Verizon) and the iphone 5 (at&t and Verizon).

...just my two cents.

Last edited by tdhoosier; 06-07-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: (soon to be '11 X3)
Quote:
a few sales guys tell me that some sony's work too, but I'm not buying a sony phone...with the changes today made in Apple's iOS 5, I'm staying in the Apple camp.
+1

Even if something on the iPhone doesn't work today, there's no way Apple let's themselves get behind in the game...eventually things will level out.