Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 05-26-2011, 01:08 AM

Mein Auto: nothing
Should I pull the trigger on a 83 533i

I found a 83 533i for 500$ on cl. The inside I guess is "shot to hell" and has a blown head gasket. I dont mind the inside being all rough but the blown head gasket is concernin. Should I run away from this deal? I would be trading the old family toyota camry for it. What should I look at when I go see the car? Any big run away signs?
Ads by Google
Old 05-27-2011, 01:14 AM

So the seats are really tore up looks like someone cut them and kept using then so the slits got bigger and bigger. How hard of a job if the blown head gasket? I dont mind turning wrenches on the car. The nice bmw bbs tires that are on it will be going on my dad's 635csi and i'll take his old ones. Any ideas where I could get seats for cheap or what would be a good donor car from a wrecking yard?

Yaka

(posted on my phone so sorry for any typos)
Old 05-27-2011, 03:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i 1989
HI changing the head is not horrible, but you want to go buy a Bentley manual, do not buy the other brands, because they suck. As to the seats, what color do you have? I do have a Pearl Beige front seat for 50 plus shipping.

Andy
Old 05-28-2011, 12:40 AM

Well I'm not sure what color they are I haven't gotten the car yet not sure if I'm going to. It seems like a basket case of a bimmer

here is some pictures- photobucket.com/1983bmw533i

How long would it take to do the head gasket and what are the chances of there being bigger problems like a cracked or warped head? The guy that has the car now bought it like that and didn't realize it was blown.

How much would shipping be on something like a seat to 98902? (just a rough estimate)

thanks Andy for the response

Yaka