Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 05-30-2011, 11:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 X3
Haha okay thank you. All clear.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: 545i and m3
catalouge on DHP

If you read the bmw x3 catalouge at your dealer both models include the dhp when ordering m-sport package. But not true i have a 28i and after ordering m-sport did not get dhp.. Only got performance control.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535Xi, 2006 X3 (wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by mole7374 View Post
Hey Bruce -
On the Mineral silver....yes you are correct 100%..you have to see the color in person to appreciate it...when I saw one in the show room I knew immediately it was my color, and then when I saw pics online i was like "what the heck is that"..then when I picked my X up I was like 'yea that's it'...it's jsut one of those colors you can't capture on a digital picture.

On the 35i with SAP......please don't take this the wrong way, but I'm not even discussing this point any more.....I don't want this to come off the wrong way, but I'm so sure I'm correct that I'm not even going to entertain a conversation about this topic any more....when others finally figure out that the 35i with SAP adjusts the suspension I'll wait for the posts or PMs that say "oh thanks Dave...we should have listened to you 2 months ago". Sorry I'm totaly not obnoxious like that, but this topic is just over debated I'm I'm right and the others who have the same experience as me are right. I have my X3 and am driving it and can feel it...period...end of story, nada...end of discussion...any folks who are speaking from the text book can kiss my @ss b/c I have my X and can experience it first hand..so does want the thrill...in fact we have the exact same car (pretty much) and we experience the same thing. And in fact...I'll RE-POST the owners manual...like the actual document that we recieve with our vehicles...like the one that we are supposed to follow....OBVIOUSLY NOBODY IS READING WHAT I AM ASKING THEM TO READ>>OR OBVIOUSLY NOBODY BELIEVES WHAT THE FREEKIN OWNERS MANUAL SAYS... PLEASE READ PAGES 88 and 89...IF YOU DON"T BELIEVE ME PLEASE BELIEVE THE ACTUAL FREEKIN OWNERS MANUAL...IT FREEKIN SAYS IT RIGHT THERE!!

Sorry...I'm a bit short on patience on this topic. ANd oh yea... MY FREEKIN I DRIVE SHOWS SUSPENSION ADJUSTMENTS>>>>WHY WOULD IT SHOW IT IF IT WASN'T THERE AND IN THE OWNERS MANUAL....
but I digress... let's net this out... what I posted is correct until the actual freekin guy who designed this sh*t says I'm wrong...but since the actual owners manual (ie the bible of our X3) says what i am saying, I'll just maintain that what I posted is the gospel.
Mole,

I had not read the owners manual. Just downloaded it for the 2011 X3 35i from the BMW USA web site and went to the pages you referenced. Yes, it says Sport Mode provides "Consistently sporty tuning of the suspension". Thanks for the reference.

Moving on, and in an effort to try and learn more about the vehicle and its design, do you know how it does this? Does that mean it has adjustable dampers? If so, are they the same adjustable dampers as with DHP?

Thanks
Bruce
Old 05-30-2011, 06:24 PM

Mein Auto: (soon to be '11 X3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas View Post
If you read the bmw x3 catalouge at your dealer both models include the dhp when ordering m-sport package. But not true i have a 28i and after ordering m-sport did not get dhp.. Only got performance control.
Yes if you only went by the (incorrect) BMW catalogue you would be mis-informed..unfortunately. The books are completely wrong, and depending on how old they are they are even more incorrect. For example....my catalogue says that the 35i with SAP includes the 19 inch 309 wheels as part of the package...but NOPE THAT IS NOT THE CASE...but yet the books says it right there. You have to get your info in the right place, and unfortunately you'd think that the catalogue is it, but right in it, it also says that it could be subject to change. The DHP package is NOT INCLUDED on EITHER the 28 or 35 models...the M-Sport is mostly a cosmetic upgrade over the 35i(w/SAP) with the exception of performance control.

The Bible for where you should be getting your info is the actual BMW order sheet...the ones the dealers use to order vehicles. I'm attachign it for everyone's reference...Glen-E keep me honest here, but I'm 99% sure that if you look at the sheet I'm attaching these are the EXACT configurations (as of the date on the sheet) that you must order vehicles...that's it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 4-1-11 BMW NA X3 SRPs and Packages.pdf (246.5 KB, 173 views)
Old 05-30-2011, 06:31 PM
Retired

Mein Auto: 12 z & 09 Accord Coupe
correct - brochures are done sometimes a year in advance.....website pretty good for changes, but The key is "subject to change" and it does - the only way you can be really sure of what the current offerings are are on the dealer comm system that the dealer orders thru, and the latest ordering sheets he has....Suppliers ebb and flow so it's best to have the dealer call their distribution manager too, if something is a little unique you want....

RTOM.....

Last edited by Glen E; 05-30-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: X3
I just read the posts by Mole7374 and AzNM describing DHP and other systems. That was EXCELLENT! I was pretty confused before but have a good grasp of it now but still have a few questions that I want to double verify. All questions here relate to a 2012 35i. And I'm a spirited (as someones said before) driver. I'll never take corners at 80 but will push it on the off ramps sometimes and on some back roads. I'd rather not get a ticket.

1. If the X3 is equipped with DHP, then in normal mode is the suspension much softer than without DHP in normal mode? Mole says it's like a Lexus (only kidding Mole). If it is and you drive around in normal mode most of the time than it might be too soft. Do others have an opinion on this that have DHP?

2. I want to be absolutely sure on this.....(and I know it probably has been said) but as I watched the MSRP go up,up with the options, unless someone has high praise for the DHP and is convincing, I will go with SAP and not DHP. SAP is a must. So that said, with SAP you get the options for normal, sport, sport+ thru those switches to the left of the shifter....right??? They tell me at the dealer that I have to get DHP to get those switches and that's what was on the order sheet but I say they are wrong and it seems like eberyone here agree's. So I'm just making sure.

3. If (and that's a big IF) I was to get DHP, it looks like it contains active suspension, performance control and variable steering. As far as performance control, do you notice the feel of driving with more RWD bias differently than without? I thought the X3 was normally RWD biased to begin with withoiut the performance control.

4. About the variable steering. Does it get looser at lower speeds and tighter at higher speeds than the regular steering?

5. Can you turn DHP on or off in the settings menu or control the apsects of each?

6. If you had DHP, would you drive in that mode most of the time to take advantage of the active suspension? unless the roads were so bad that you needed the soft mode.

7. Is the only way to get variable sport steering by ordering the DHP? The brochure says it is included in the Msport package but the order sheet I have says it isn't. Only performance control.

8. DDC...I'm a little confused on this. Is this included in all 35i's? This is not a package but it seems like a standard feature. Is this activated by the 3 position rocker switches next to the shifter? If you have DHP, by activating the sport mode, does it also activate the active suspension?

9. With the SAP, again want to verify this. it affects the transmission shift points, suspension (fixed) and steering? If it does the steering, how is it different than the variable steering?

Sorry for the long post and questions but I kinda need to hear it again from my questioning. Thanks for all the help. I'm really glad I ran into this forum. I had forgotten what it was like becasue I was on the forums daily before I bought my FX 8 years ago. I want to order an X3 this weekend so all your help is appreciated. Steve.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
2. I want to be absolutely sure on this.....(and I know it probably has been said) but as I watched the MSRP go up,up with the options, unless someone has high praise for the DHP and is convincing, I will go with SAP and not DHP. SAP is a must. So that said, with SAP you get the options for normal, sport, sport+ thru those switches to the left of the shifter....right??? They tell me at the dealer that I have to get DHP to get those switches and that's what was on the order sheet but I say they are wrong and it seems like eberyone here agree's. So I'm just making sure.

9. With the SAP, again want to verify this. it affects the transmission shift points, suspension (fixed) and steering? If it does the steering, how is it different than the variable steering?

I have a 35i with SAP and no DHP and can confirm 100% that you will get the rocker switch with normal, sport, & sport +. I can take pictures for you if you'd like. I know multiple others that have the same set-up so as long as you get the 35i and the SAP, you will get the switches. As for #9., shift points change as well as the steering when you select sport/sport +. The steering becomes tighter and the shift points are higher. Steering in nomal mode is much looser and not as connected feeling. I always feel when I drive in Sport mode that the suspension also feels firmer (every bump in road can be felt), however, those with DHP tell me that's impossible and it's a placebo effect. Mole7374also agrees with me on this, but according to those with DHP we are crazy. Hopefully those with DHP can answer your other questions
Old 10-21-2011, 02:26 PM

Thanks Want the Thrill. Do you have a 2012 or 2011? Is the 2012 SAP the same as the 2011 SAP as far as contents?
I'll have to pick up this in the morning as I have to meet some people now.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:31 PM

Mein Auto: M3 & X3
cadman50

The DHP subject has been hashed to death, do a search here and on X3.xbimmers.com and you'll find more info than you want to read.

I own an X35i with both SAP and DHP. My advice is drive an SAP only car (should be pretty easy to find) and if the suspension is to your liking and fits your needs, stop, and forget about the DHP since it will add initial cost, complexity, and down the line will be more expensive to repair for little gain. If on the other hand you, like I did, find the stock suspension too soft and lacking in the chassis and body control you want, make the effort to find a DHP equipped car and try it. Everyone's likes, driving requirements, and roads are different so in reality you have to be the judge.

Hope this helps.

Marty
Old 10-21-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman50 View Post
Thanks Want the Thrill. Do you have a 2012 or 2011? Is the 2012 SAP the same as the 2011 SAP as far as contents?
I'll have to pick up this in the morning as I have to meet some people now.
I have a 2011 that I picked up in July. The only things that changed with the SAP package are the interior color of the headliner and the 309 all season wheels are now standard (before you had to pay additional to get the 19" 309's) Here is all the info on the 2012's from BMW:

The 2012 X3 begins production in September (and will end in March 2012). Details have now been released on changes for the 2012 model year for the US. We detail it below:

New Standard Equipment:
- Black high gloss finish on instrument panel
- Floor mats
- Panoramic moonroof for xDrive35i

Optional Equipment Changes:
- Convenience Package deleted on xDrive35i. Contents become part of Premium Package
- Cold Weather Package loses heated rear seats and retractable headlight washers, which are now available as part of Cold Weather Package II (which requires ordering of Cold Weather Package)
- New Premium Sound Package (SIRIUS 1 yr and premium hi-fi system)
- Sport Activity Packages (ZAP) now feature Anthracite headliner. 19" wheels (2A1 with all-season tires) now included for ZAP on xDrive35i

Stand-alone Options Changes:
- Heated front seats available as stand-alone option
- Heated steering wheel deleted as stand-alone option and offered in new Cold Weather Package
- 19" Style 309 wheels deleted as stand-alone option and offered in Sport Activity Package

MSRP Pricing (effective October 1, 2011):

Base (US entry):
x3 xDrive28i - $36,850
x3 xDrive35i - $42,400
* Destination & handling - $875

Packages:

ZAP - Sport Activity Package (xDrive28i) - $1,550
-- Sports leather steering wheel
-- 18" light alloy V spoke wheels - style 307 with all-season run-flat tires
-- Roof rails in aluminum satin
-- X-Line exterior trim package
-- Sports seats
-- Anthracite headliner

ZAP - Sport Activity Package (xDrive35i) - $1,750
-- 19" light alloy double spoke wheels - style 309 with all-season run-flat tires
-- Sport automatic transmission with shift paddles
-- Sports leather steering wheel with paddle shifters
-- Roof fails in Aluminum Satin
-- X-Line exterior trim package
-- Sports seats
-- Anthracite headeliner

ZCV - Convenience Package (xDrive28i) - $1,700
-- Power tailgate
-- Comfort Access keyless entry
-- Rear manual side window shades
-- Xenon headlights
-- Adaptive light control

ZCW - Cold Weather Package (xDrive28i / xDrive35i) - $700
-- Heated steering wheel
-- Split fold-down-rear seat
-- Heated front seats

ZCX - Cold Weather Package II (xDrive28i / xDrive35i) - $450
-- Heated rear seats
-- Retractable headlight washers
* ZCX requires ordering ZCW

ZMP - M Sport Package (xDrive28i) - $3,000
-- Sport suspension delete
-- 18" M light alloy star spoke wheels - style 368M with all-season run-flat tire
-- Performance Control
-- M Sport Package
-- High-gloss Roof Rails
-- Sport seats
-- Aerodynamic kit
-- Shadowline exterior trim
-- Anthracite headliner
* ZMP cannot be ordered with ZAP
* ZMP requires ordering ZPP

ZMP - M Sport Package (xDrive35i) - $3,000
-- Sport suspension delete
-- 19" M light alloy double spoke wheels - style 369M with all-season run-flat tire
-- Sport automatic transmission with shift paddles
-- Performance Control
-- M Sport Package
-- High-gloss Roof Rails
-- Sport seats
-- Aerodynamic kit
-- Shadowline exterior trim
-- Anthracite headliner
-- M Sports leather steering wheel with paddle shifters
* ZMP cannot be ordered with ZAP
* ZMP requires ordering ZPP

ZPP - Premium Package (xDrive28i) - $3,450
-- Universal garage-door opener
-- Panoramic moonroof
-- Auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors
-- Auto-dimming rearview mirror
-- Lumbar support
-- Storage package
-- Ambience lighting
-- Nevada leather

ZPP - Premium Package (xDrive35i) - $3,450
-- Power tailgate
-- Universal garage-door opener
-- Comfort Access keyless entry
-- Rear manual side window shades
-- Auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors
-- Auto-dimming rearview mirror
-- Lumbar support
-- Storage package
-- Ambience lighting
-- Nevada leather

ZPS - Premium Sound Package (xDrive28i / xDrive35i) - $950
-- Satellite radio with 1 year subscription
-- Premium hi-fi-system

ZTP - Technology Package (xDrive28i / xDrive35i) - $3,200
-- Rear View Camera with Top View
-- Park Distance Control
-- Navigation system
-- Online Information Services
-- BMW Assist with enhanced Bluetooth and USB
-- Real Time Traffic Information
* ZTP requires ordering ZPP

ZDH - Dynamic Handling Package (xDrive28i / xDrive35i) - $1,400
-- Dynamic Damper Control
-- Performance Control
-- Variable sport steering
* In combination with ZMP - $1,300

Options:
Rear-view camera - $400
Roof rails in Aluminum Satin - $250 (included in ZAP package)
Panoramic moonroof - $1,350 (included in xDrive28i ZPP package / standard in xDrive35i)
Cargo net - $180
Heated front seats - $500 (included in ZCW package)
Park Distance Control - $750 (included in ZTP package)
Xenon headlights - $900 (included in xDrive28i ZCV package / standard in xDrive35i)
Navigation system - $2,150 (included in ZTP package)
Sirius 1 year subscription - $350 (included in ZPS package)
BMW Assist with enhanced Bluetooth and USB - $650 (included in ZTP package)
BMW Apps - $250

Priority 1 Options:
-- Power Tailgate - $500 (included in xDrive28i ZCV package / xDrive35i ZPP package)
-- Comfort Access keyless entry - $500 (included in xDrive28i ZCV package / xDrive35i ZPP package)
-- Rear manual side window shades - $250 (included in xDrive28i ZCV package / xDrive35i ZPP package)
-- Split fold-down-rear seat - $200 (included in ZCW package)
-- Automatic high beams - $250 (requires ordering ZPP package)
-- Head-up Display - $1,300
Old 10-22-2011, 08:38 AM

OK guys. Thanks for the info. I have been only able to drive a 2011 with SAP only (no DHP). Can't even find one. Even though I might like the ride of the one with SAP, I'm curious to see what the one with DHP is like. Maybe it's worth the extra cost, maybe not for me. I'm off looking around today. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: mazdaspeed3
Personally the golden combination for the performance addicts is tge SAP and DHP - the msport in the US is a massive waste without the sport suspension. Haven't taken delivery yet but after months of r+d that came too late I wish I'd done the sport+dhp than the msport without dhp.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:06 PM
Only in America

Mein Auto: 2011 335i Conv M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the Thrill View Post

I have a 35i with SAP and no DHP and can confirm 100% that you will get the rocker switch with normal, sport, & sport +. I can take pictures for you if you'd like. I know multiple others that have the same set-up so as long as you get the 35i and the SAP, you will get the switches. As for #9., shift points change as well as the steering when you select sport/sport +. The steering becomes tighter and the shift points are higher. Steering in nomal mode is much looser and not as connected feeling. I always feel when I drive in Sport mode that the suspension also feels firmer (every bump in road can be felt), however, those with DHP tell me that's impossible and it's a placebo effect. Mole7374also agrees with me on this, but according to those with DHP we are crazy. Hopefully those with DHP can answer your other questions
I'm sorry to revive an old post and have a question I don't think has been specifically asked. I have on order an X3 35i WITHOUT the sport package and WITHOUT DHP. I am to assume then the sport mode buttons by the shifter only adjust steering and throttle and NOT suspension in any way? I wish that it would, but doubt that it will.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswalters View Post
I'm sorry to revive an old post and have a question I don't think has been specifically asked. I have on order an X3 35i WITHOUT the sport package and WITHOUT DHP. I am to assume then the sport mode buttons by the shifter only adjust steering and throttle and NOT suspension in any way? I wish that it would, but doubt that it will.
Without the sport package or DHP, you will not have any sport/normal button by the shifter to make a selection with. If you were to go with the sport package, the sport and sport+ only adjust the steering and throttle. If you were to get DHP, then the suspension would change as well. Hope that helps!
Old 09-21-2012, 09:09 PM
Only in America

Mein Auto: 2011 335i Conv M Sport
Thanks! I thought there was a sport and Eco mode that at least varied steering and throttle. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswalters View Post
Thanks! I thought there was a sport and Eco mode that at least varied steering and throttle. Thanks for clearing that up.
Driving Dynamics Control comes standard with eco pro mode and normal mode, but you won't be able to switch to sport mode with a switch and have it change anything unless you have the Sport package or DHP.