Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:30 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
BMW GT owners are no ship of fools.

BMWNA has cast us off as a ship of fools

GT owners are no ship of fools, more a band brothers [and sisters]–
In our quest for truth justice and the BMW GT Way, we encounter vociferous too-quick-to-judgment opinions from our fellow BMW enthusiasts. Moreover, many have found the path to the GT in spite of the onslaught of misinformation and confusion from dealers.
And now we have the statement from the CEO of BMWNA which is at best self-serving yet displays a wonton if not hostile attitude to the BMW GT that undercuts not only the GT but also present owners.

Am I annoyed? Way! I could be moved to buy an Audi…..........maybe two –
I spent last night at my local Porsche Audi store – and revisited my BMW dealership too – seeking out alternatives. Bottom Line – the 5 GT is totally unique – as GT owners - we know this – nothing comes close to the GT's luxury, utility, performance, and panache. The closest alternative was the Panamera at a higher price point – sportier but offering far less utility and luxury – I guess there is a "substitute." As an artist, I can make the case for either in terms of styling and design, but prefer the GT. This A.M., at my garage in DC, two very pretty 20-somethings approached me and declared "your car is tight…....can we try out the back seat?" - I smiled.

As owners of GTs, I am sure you get your share of compliments – the only rocks that are thrown are by our fellow BMW 'festers – the very people who bemoan not having a 5 Touring option yet when offered never bought them – the same people who talk about 6 speeds but order automatics – you get the pic – "screw 'em."

For my needs and desires, I reassert the 5GT is truly sui generis, [--venting!] BMWNA ought to revisit the Promo vid for the GT – "when was the last time you did something for the first time." - it's true.

Last edited by Capobranco; 05-27-2011 at 06:01 AM.
Advertisement
Old 05-26-2011, 08:39 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Agreed. The GT is a misrepresented, misunderstood gem. To know it is to love it.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer App

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 05-26-2011, 08:46 PM
Travel Fever

Mein Auto: 535dx
No doubt, GT is an unique car. You don't get an apple v apple comparison easy. Meanwhile, GT needs to make plenty improvements as well.

MJ14 535dx - Imperial Blue
MJ10 550 GT - Imperial Blue (retired)
MJ07 530i - Silver Grey (Sold)
Old 05-26-2011, 09:36 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mason View Post
No doubt, GT is an unique car. You don't get an apple v apple comparison easy. Meanwhile, GT needs to make plenty improvements as well.
Precious little approaches perfection...

BMWNA has an exceptional product in the GT as presently constituted and needs to sell it and stop making self-serving excuses. There are no direct competitors to the GT - the GT represents an extraordinary marketing opportunity - wasted.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:41 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
"screw 'em."
And you wonder why we give "you" a hard time?

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 05-26-2011, 10:10 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
And you wonder why we give "you" a hard time?
....that's the best kind
Old 05-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: TBD
I'm not sure its to anyone's benefit to foster a "us vs. them" mentality about this, or to elevate the GT to some sort of mythical "perfect" status. I think we can all agree no car is perfect, and GT shares some of the imperfections of both the F10 and F01 cars. So I'd vote to keep hyperbole in check.

The GT is obviously doing very well in Europe. So one thing you could say about GT owners is that they share tastes and preferences with those on the other side of the Atlantic. I don't think most would find that to be a bad thing at all. I don't think the GT is going away as a part of the BMW lineup world-wide, but its future in North America is certainly questionable.

Here's an interesting question to ask yourself: What if the F07 was NEVER released in the North American market, and was only offered in Europe or elsewhere?

I think we all know that the reaction on forums like this would be; there would be a petition to demand BMWNA to bring it over here. There would be thread after thread about how the US drivers are being denied the awesome deal of the 7-series at a 5-series price, or about how we are getting screwed out of all that cargo space, or the technology of the dual liftgate. Think about it, you know its true.

Let's face it, we want most what we can't have. Now that we can't have the Touring Wagon, folks bitch and moan about that. But where were all those posters when they were buying cars? Not buying wagons in North America, that's for sure.

One can certainly sympathize with BMW under these conditions.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 M3
GT is not for me. I test drove it and I liked it.
I see it as a very handy car for some.
BMW knows the sales & service numbers better than I do.
10 M3 Sedan (sweet)
13 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
14 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Diesel

BMWCCA 4215
Old 05-27-2011, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535XI GT
BMW's marketing sucks...i have yet to see one print ad for the GT...I loved my GT but when the CEO comes out and bash's the car it kills my desire to get another one. I think I might cancel my order and go to Benz...
Old 05-27-2011, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: 535 GT
The way the BMWNA is acting, it's as if they never wanted to import the F07 and were forced to. So they aren't interested in, don't put the effort into it. Then it "fails" (which really could mean anything including what someone else would call success). BMWNA gets the outcome they expected/wanted. I could be wrong... I've just seen that management pattern too often.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerloop View Post
I'm not sure its to anyone's benefit to foster a "us vs. them" mentality about this, or to elevate the GT to some sort of mythical "perfect" status. I think we can all agree no car is perfect, and GT shares some of the imperfections of both the F10 and F01 cars. So I'd vote to keep hyperbole in check.

The GT is obviously doing very well in Europe. So one thing you could say about GT owners is that they share tastes and preferences with those on the other side of the Atlantic. I don't think most would find that to be a bad thing at all. I don't think the GT is going away as a part of the BMW lineup world-wide, but its future in North America is certainly questionable.

Here's an interesting question to ask yourself: What if the F07 was NEVER released in the North American market, and was only offered in Europe or elsewhere?

I think we all know that the reaction on forums like this would be; there would be a petition to demand BMWNA to bring it over here. There would be thread after thread about how the US drivers are being denied the awesome deal of the 7-series at a 5-series price, or about how we are getting screwed out of all that cargo space, or the technology of the dual liftgate. Think about it, you know its true.

Let's face it, we want most what we can't have. Now that we can't have the Touring Wagon, folks bitch and moan about that. But where were all those posters when they were buying cars? Not buying wagons in North America, that's for sure.

One can certainly sympathize with BMW under these conditions.
Hyperbole?

I agree that many "enthusiasts" are contrarians by nature. Moreover, their pleas at times sound like the lock stepped mutterings of a Greek Chorus. Finding the perfect balance of tradition and innovation is an art - a needle that BMW must thread carefully.

As to GT owners sharing tastes with Europeans – I suspect so – personally, I have lived my entire life in both worlds. My Florentine partners, who live in the art/design world, are wildly enthusiastic about the GT. A luxury 5 door is not an alien concept to most Europeans. I agree that the future of the GT is questionable, not only because of the disparity of what Europeans v. Americans deem to be good, but also because BMWNA has never found the will to effectively market the GT in NA.

If I were BMW I would be furious with the management of BMWNA. The GT is a squandered opportunity.

Last edited by Capobranco; 05-27-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:45 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmatharu2011 View Post
BMW's marketing sucks...i have yet to see one print ad for the GT...I loved my GT but when the CEO comes out and bash's the car it kills my desire to get another one. I think I might cancel my order and go to Benz...
I have the same reaction …I already went to the PorscheAudi Store – I am open to possibilities. However - bottom line – I really like the 5 GT – dynamically and aesthetically. There really is no substitute - the 5 GT is sui generis - I know - overused but accurate. Maybe if I continue to repeat it - BMWNA will believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11gt535 View Post
The way the BMWNA is acting, it's as if they never wanted to import the F07 and were forced to. So they aren't interested in, don't put the effort into it. Then it "fails" (which really could mean anything including what someone else would call success). BMWNA gets the outcome they expected/wanted. I could be wrong... I've just seen that management pattern too often.

Bingo – Precisely – As I said in a prior post – the statement by BMWNA appears to be a duplicitous self serving preemptive strike to deflect the short comings and lack of results of BMWNA. Moreover, BMWNA lack of leadership becomes a self fulfilling prophesy - wise sages those marketing gurus at BMWNA.

I too have seen this management pattern before and it’s corrosive to personal and corporate integrity - I hope it is not true.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i GT
Each vehicle is, by nature, individualistic and appeals to certain individuals in much the way as a suit of clothes. I may dislike the look of a sharkskin suit and think it "50's ish" but ask one of my Italian friends and they will think it's the greatest suit they have ever seen. Not that they are interested in the suit, but the personal expression that the suit implies. A well cut Brooks Brothers says a lot about your status, but in brown it won't be the hit of the spring seson. Individuality is what sells.

The GT is similar. First glance to me was it's overblown, ugly rear end, much like a fat lady raising her skirt and trying to waddle off to the next corner. But one drive told me it was much more, a car for all seasons and reasons, not so much the ultimate BMW we all love, but maybe the ultimate "do everything pretty darned well" BMW we could love. It's not an M3, or a roadster nor has the capacity of the Touring in my opinion. But it does everything they do in some form that satisfies what i need it to d. And while doing so, bring stares and questions and admiration from others. After all, it's a different BMW.

I was at the local BMW dealer today and they have none in stock. Special order only. One X6 available for 81K and numrous 750IL for 101-104K So what do we have. A vehicle with the capability of the X6 but with lots more headroom, the platform and ride of the 750 at 30-35K less coins, (I have the xDrive) and a very versatile vehicle overall.

BMW will not please everyone with this or any other vehicle. I have friends with 7 series who wish they had kept their 5's and those with 5's who lust after 7's. When I had my 328, I wished for a bit more room. Test driving the X5 I knew it just wasn't what I wanted to drive every day. And the X6 wasn't practical with only 4 seats.

For the fun of it...Just imagine an "M" version of this vehicle! Even for those of us who love the car, that seems absurd.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Personally, I feel no need to make any excuses for the GT. Simply because none are needed. There isn't a replacement for this car at this price point period. Now if Mr. O'Connell wishes to back track by saying he wishes that the Touring was still offered in this market, and that the GT has crossed over (excuse the pun) and pilfered sales from its conservative brother the 7 Series so be it. Perhaps I misinterpreted the statement as he didn't outright bash the GT, I understood him to state that the "intended" demographic i.e. former touring owners and those who may be wagon conquests from other brands didn't work out. So the GT captured the eyes of 7 Series buyers (The Flagship of BMW's core brand) in the process. 7 Series buyers are typically a sophisticated bunch who usually demands unmitigated luxury. I knew from day 1 that the GT would create some cross over appeal with 7 Series buyers - because again it is a "7" right down to the wheel base dimensions.

At the end of the day if they pull the plug on the GT I don't care, as long as components remain available through the parts pipeline for issues that hopefully will not present themselves I am good.

I like the way the GT looks, drives, feels - Survey Says - "Very Satisfied" . Not to mention knowing a "same size" F01/F02 7 Series configured like my car would cost roughly $105-110K, I especially like the discount

Maybe I should offer my assistance to the sales force with marketing the GT. I think I could move some units - BMW ARE YOU LISTENING? I am an ECM consultant by trade, but I would be willing to help out LOL
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)

Last edited by car-fan; 05-27-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:05 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumforc View Post
Each vehicle is, by nature, individualistic and appeals to certain individuals in much the way as a suit of clothes. I may dislike the look of a sharkskin suit and think it "50's ish" but ask one of my Italian friends and they will think it's the greatest suit they have ever seen. Not that they are interested in the suit, but the personal expression that the suit implies. A well cut Brooks Brothers says a lot about your status, but in brown it won't be the hit of the spring seson. Individuality is what sells.

The GT is similar. First glance to me was it's overblown, ugly rear end, much like a fat lady raising her skirt and trying to waddle off to the next corner. But one drive told me it was much more, a car for all seasons and reasons, not so much the ultimate BMW we all love, but maybe the ultimate "do everything pretty darned well" BMW we could love. It's not an M3, or a roadster nor has the capacity of the Touring in my opinion. But it does everything they do in some form that satisfies what i need it to d. And while doing so, bring stares and questions and admiration from others. After all, it's a different BMW.

I was at the local BMW dealer today and they have none in stock. Special order only. One X6 available for 81K and numrous 750IL for 101-104K So what do we have. A vehicle with the capability of the X6 but with lots more headroom, the platform and ride of the 750 at 30-35K less coins, (I have the xDrive) and a very versatile vehicle overall.

BMW will not please everyone with this or any other vehicle. I have friends with 7 series who wish they had kept their 5's and those with 5's who lust after 7's. When I had my 328, I wished for a bit more room. Test driving the X5 I knew it just wasn't what I wanted to drive every day. And the X6 wasn't practical with only 4 seats.

For the fun of it...Just imagine an "M" version of this vehicle! Even for those of us who love the car, that seems absurd.
I see many 2010 7 Series withering on the vine even though they come equipped with $15K - $20K discounts. I guess Jimmy O' Donnell needs to find a scapegoat...can we say 5GT.

5 GT M? - aka Porsche Panamera Turbo Challenger...absurd - maybe, outrageous - yes, but definitely - sublime. Yeah - they might sell two but I would be number one of two!

BTW - 5 GT M might be a perfect for a guy thats been there, done that and has the tee shirt with the bullet holes to prove it!
Old 05-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-fan View Post
Personally, I feel no need to make any excuses for the GT. Simply because none are needed. There isn't a replacement for this car at this price point period. Now if Mr. O'Connell wishes to back track by saying he wishes that the Touring was still offered in this market, and that the GT has crossed over (excuse the pun) and pilfered sales from its conservative brother the 7 Series so be it. Perhaps I misinterpreted the statement as he didn't outright bash the GT, I understood him to state that the "intended" demographic i.e. former touring owners and those who may be wagon conquests from other brands didn't work out. So the GT captured the eyes of 7 Series buyers (The Flagship of BMW's core brand) in the process. 7 Series buyers are typically a sophisticated bunch who usually demands unmitigated luxury. I knew from day 1 that the GT would create some cross over appeal with 7 Series buyers - because again it is a "7" right down to the wheel base dimensions.

At the end of the day if they pull the plug on the GT I don't care, as long as components remain available through the parts pipeline for issues that hopefully will not present themselves I am good.

I like the way the GT looks, drives, feels - Survey Says - "Very Satisfied" . Not to mention knowing a "same size" F01/F02 7 Series configured like my car would cost roughly $105-110K, I especially like the discount

Maybe I should offer my assistance to the sales force with marketing the GT. I think I could move some units - BMW ARE YOU LISTENING? I am an ECM consultant by trade, but I would be willing to help out LOL
Having had the honor of joining you in combat on a number of occasions on the E90 and F/10 Forums – you know I do not make excuses - as you say - simply because none are needed. The opposition comes ill armed with misinformed opinions based on hearsay – we offer personal experience and facts. Easy – fun wins.

The O'Donnell statement – he controlled the timing and the message content – he knew the implications of what he said and what he did not say. Do you hear a further statement offering support and/or clarification from BMWNA? I take the silence as being ominous. I clearly recognize the scenario – go on the offensive and attribute your failure to everything or anyone except yourself – man needs to be fired.

Marketing the GT? I am very confident that I know how to market the GT, and I would be successful. I could have a basic outline for discussion purposes prepared within 30 days – and a fully developed plan – ready to implement within 90 days – I have done this. BMWNA could have employed a credible plan but they lacked vision and commitment. The results are manifest.

Last edited by Capobranco; 05-27-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Having had the honor of joining you in combat on a number of occasions on the E90 and F/10 Forums – you know I do not make excuses - as you say - simply because none are needed. The opposition comes ill armed with misinformed opinions based on hearsay – we offer personal experience and facts. Easy – fun wins.

The O'Donnell statement – he controlled the timing and the message content – he knew the implications of what he said and what he did not say. Do you hear a further statement offering support and/or clarification from BMWNA? I take the silence as being ominous. I clearly recognize the scenario – go on the offensive and attribute your failure to everything or anyone except yourself – man needs to be fired.

Marketing the GT? I am very confident that I know how to market the GT, and I would be successful. I could have a basic outline for discussion purposes prepared within 30 days – and a fully developed plan – ready to implement within 90 days – I have done this. BMWNA could have employed a credible plan but they lacked vision and commitment. The results are manifest.
I am with you 100%

I received a survey from BMW NA when I initially took delivery of the GT over a year ago, I wonder how many owners they polled, and what they did - if anything - with the results.
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)
Old 05-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
I am with you 100%

I received a survey from BMW NA when I initially took delivery of the GT over a year ago, I wonder how many owners they polled, and what they did - if anything - with the results.
word!

I value your comments and amity.

I feel like we are moving deck chairs on the Titanic...

...I'm going to enjoy the ride on the way down....

I hope all of this is just so much BMW/Fester smoke ...

Good news - the other night when I checked out the Panamera again - I got a figure on my car - the wholesale value continues to do OK - actually much better than a similarily priced 2010 550i. I am surprised given the weak sales for the GT that the wholesale numbers have not collapsed - probably due to BMW not flooding the market with cars in NA - there are not many used cars around - a ray of sunlight?

Last edited by Capobranco; 05-28-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
word!

I value your comments and amity.

I feel like we are moving deck chairs on the Titanic...

...I'm going to enjoy the ride on the way down....

I hope all of this is just so much BMW/Fester smoke ...

Good news - the other night when I checked out the Panamera again - I got a figure on my car - the wholesale value continues to do OK - actually much better than a similarily priced 2010 550i. I am surprised given the weak sales for the GT that the wholesale numbers have not collapsed - probably due to BMW not flooding the market with cars in NA - there are not many used cars around - a ray of sunlight?

LOL! Stay away from those Porsche/Audi dealers they don't have anything for you at this price point. Want more fun go see your local DINAN rep for a remap. Then you will really be like a bank vault after the time lock initiation - closed and sealed to anything from the outside.

I went to the Audi dealership with a friend of mine who drives a Maserati Quattroporte, and asked him for his unbiased opinion on a fully loaded Prestige/Innovation equipped A7 with an MSRP of $81,350. He liked the exterior of the A7 but also likes the GT. However, interior space, amenities, etc, he felt the A7 can't compete. We Gt'ers already know this, and its obvious within the Audi line you would have to look at an A8 to compare. And personally for my 81K I want a little more than a 310hp v6 under the hood.

If the supply becomes sparse its only going to create demand for the GT. So unless you dislike your GT for some reason, there is no reason to part ways with it.

Just My Two Cents of Course!

Last edited by car-fan; 05-28-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:10 PM

Mein Auto: '92 Saturn SL2

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:14 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
The F07 has a higher resale than the E60 550i one year after the E60 was discontinued! I guess it would be really sad if this wasn't the case.

BMW normally groups the F07/F10/F11 together under the 5 Series designation in their monthly sales reports, but in their March sales report the GT sales numbers were revealed. It looks like the F07 is selling much better worldwide than in North America. BTW, it looks like the F01 sales are still strong.

March 2011 worldwide sales
F01: 5,803
F07: 2,272
F10/11: 28,682

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 05-28-2011, 10:57 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
The F07 has a higher resale than the E60 550i one year after the E60 was discontinued! I guess it would be really sad if this wasn't the case.

BMW normally groups the F07/F10/F11 together under the 5 Series designation in their monthly sales reports, but in their March sales report the GT sales numbers were revealed. It looks like the F07 is selling much better worldwide than in North America. BTW, it looks like the F01 sales are still strong.

March 2011 worldwide sales
F01: 5,803
F07: 2,272
F10/11: 28,682

Agreed. Thank you for posting the numbers.

As we all know depreciation can be substantial on BMWs especially higher end models. Given the number of cars coming into the system and coupled with aggressive BMW incentives on new cars (e.g. subsidized interest rates), I would anticipate that the F/10 will follow the current trend. (NADA predicts depreciation of $20K for year one on a 2011 550i driven 15K miles). Whatever….... a few thousand here or there – there is a cost to driving high end cars especially if driven a lot of miles. Given the paucity of sales of the F/07 in the US, and the less than positive comments from Jim-Bo, I was concerned that resale values of the F/07 might have tanked – not the case.

As posted on cars.com there are still 53 2010 F/01s available – discounted $15K-$20K in the DC area (deep into F/07 territory). Nationally there are 810 2011s and 855 2012s available – big numbers to move. There are no 2010 F/07s – 59 2011 550i GTs and 81 535i GTs. I understand O'Donnell's concern that the F/07 has eroded F/01 sales in important markets – indeed the contagion could spread as savvy people familiarize themselves with the F/07. Moreover, the F/07 has not attracted the touring buyer. It would appear that O'Donnell's short term solution is to limit the potential damage by limiting the number of F/07s in the US – if you want an F07 you pretty much have to order one to get the right equipment, obviously special ordered cars do not come with $15K discounts. Moreover in the short term, why sell F/07s in NA to people who do not understand the GT when we can sell them in other receptive markets.

BMW put a huge amount of content into the F/07 – indeed you can outfit an F/07 with more luxury amenities than an F/01 at a substantial discount. Even cars less lavishly equipped compare very favorably to the F/01 – I see the potential problem. Personally I was never particularly attracted to the 7 series – I crossed shopped a Panamera. I have owned many nice cars. I consider my 550i GT to be especially nice - offering a unique blend of performance, luxury, utility and value. The F/07 has no direct competitor.

The solution to the F/07 in NA will continue to allude BMWNA, if the GT is viewed as a touring alternative or a budget 7 series. Rear guard actions or discount plays are non starters and will be self defeating. BMWNA needs to reacquaint itself with its own propaganda – "the 5 gran turismo – the first of its kind". BMW endowed the GT with the right stuff. The GT is in front of the market in NA. The F/07 needs to be allowed to carve out its own market which is not the F10 or F/11 market - indeed, the 5 series branding sows confusion. Strategically - the foundation of a marketing solution recognizes and builds on the unique DNA of the F/07 - there are a myriad of niche tactics.

As to the GT market? "I drive, therefore I am."

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...aspx#startpage

Last edited by Capobranco; 05-29-2011 at 06:56 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:46 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
LOL! Stay away from those Porsche/Audi dealers they don't have anything for you at this price point. Want more fun go see your local DINAN rep for a remap. Then you will really be like a bank vault after the time lock initiation - closed and sealed to anything from the outside.

I went to the Audi dealership with a friend of mine who drives a Maserati Quattroporte, and asked him for his unbiased opinion on a fully loaded Prestige/Innovation equipped A7 with an MSRP of $81,350. He liked the exterior of the A7 but also likes the GT. However, interior space, amenities, etc, he felt the A7 can't compete. We Gt'ers already know this, and its obvious within the Audi line you would have to look at an A8 to compare. And personally for my 81K I want a little more than a 310hp v6 under the hood.

If the supply becomes sparse its only going to create demand for the GT. So unless you dislike your GT for some reason, there is no reason to part ways with it.

Just My Two Cents of Course!
+1

Porsche/Audi? - been there - done that -
I am tempted by a Panamera - but I like my 550i GT -

The A7 - yes it is slick in an Audi-like manner but the A7's utility
is severely compromised - seems way over priced and in the end leaves me cold -
you'll find me in the Porsche line before I spend $80K for an A7.

BTW - a friend of mine recently bought a Maserati GT - nice car - he also shares
my opinion concerning the A7 and BMW GT -- something about Maserati drivers?

Last edited by Capobranco; 06-01-2011 at 04:32 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Bite me! In a good Way!

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
...As to the GT market? "I drive, therefore I am."
I've never accepted criticism from strangers,
except when I get wonderful advice.
Then, instead of telling them "mind your own Business!"
I thank them for minding mine.

Monday Morning Quarterbacks are a dime a dozen,
but with your plethora of
sound course-righting recommendations,
BMWNA should be sending you a Big Fat Bonus.

I got my X3 because I wanted a small UTE, and something fine.
Never expecting it to really be a driver's car, I sought the
big tent I perceived sheltered and welcomed all who heard the call to
Roundel and the Ultimate Driving Experience.
I was thinking the GT could be a great step up for me.

Is the tent getting bigger or smaller? --and is it a Circus?

2013 X3 35i M Sport, Carbon Black/Oyster, DHP, Premium Package, Cold, Premium Sound, Technology, Cargo Net, BMW Apps

Bite me! ... In a good way!

Last edited by dogguyX3; 06-01-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogguyX3 View Post
I've never accepted criticism from strangers,
except when I get wonderful advice.
Then, instead of telling them "mind your own Business!"
I thank them for minding mine.

Monday Morning Quarterbacks are a dime a dozen,
but with your plethora of
sound course-righting recommendations,
BMWNA should be sending you a Big Fat Bonus.

I got my X3 because I wanted a small UTE, and something fine.
Never expecting it to really be a driver's car, I sought the
big tent I perceived sheltered and welcomed all who heard the call to
Roundel and the Ultimate Driving Experience.
I was thinking the GT could be a great step up for me.

Is the tent getting bigger or smaller? --and is it a Circus?
Dog – you are very generous –

I think you have to be very passionate about the GT given the attitude of BMWNA. I am not sure, if anyone knows what lies ahead for the GT concept in NA. If you decide to purchase a GT - be prepared for negative comments from your fellow festers. At times, you might feel like a mutant pariah, but you can take solace in the knowledge that you are an independent pioneer in front of the market. Moreover, I promise you, in the wild, you will receive many compliments – the GT elicits many favorable comments and thumbs up
– if this is important to you.

Given the less than sanguine attitude towards the GT by BMWNA, and by many BMW enthusiasts, who tend to be dominated by traditional notions of what should constitute a BMW - I'm not sure if the BMW tent will ever be ever be more than grudgingly accepting of
unconventional new concepts like the GT. The GT is a brilliant product but it needs corporate support to be allowed to define its own market niche. The lack of a positive proactive campaign on the part of BMWNA is not only a self fulfilling expediency, but a significant lost opportunity.

Last edited by Capobranco; 06-02-2011 at 10:32 PM.