Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-09-2011, 03:01 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_lover85 View Post
Thank you Burning2nd. I don't want to evacuate the system... Is that ok?
I thought I can let some pressure out and then put some oil. My AC is cold... It just make knocking noise from the compressor... It sounds like an impact gun but a little bit lower in sound.
chances are your compressor is on its way out, If you hear a knocking noise already.

technically you put the oil in first.. then the amount of freeon,

when topping off a system the little cans work fine...

I have no idea what will happen if you put oil in a changed system... and ive never heard a compressor knock....Only seen them seize...

compressor for the 5's run like what 500 bucks?
Old 04-17-2013, 06:13 AM

Send a message via MSN to bmwmanz2 Send a message via Yahoo to bmwmanz2
Mein Auto: E39 528i
For the static reading (car running AC off) you need a Pressure Temperature chart or app by DuPont. This will show you what your gauges should be reading. Ie. ambient temperature is 90* the gauges should read 104.3*. For a Dynamic reading (car on and AC running) on your AC Manifold gauges on the low side should read between 25-45 and the high side should read 100-150* above ambient temperature. Ie. 90* ambient temp high side should read 190-240* on the high side. The PAG oil can either be injected via a recovery machine or taking the compressor off and filling it to the correct specs taking off the back plate of the compressor. As for a noisy compressor, this usually means your compressor is bad and has run low on oil. Hope this helps a little guys. Have a great day!
Old 04-17-2013, 06:50 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
I'm gonna cross reference this thread to the canonical AC threads so that this information isn't lost.

- How to learn about (1) and set up your air conditioning (1) (2) & how to refill your A/C system for $20 (1) (2) (3) (4) & where to find your low pressure aircon recharge port (1) & what refrigerant PAG oil to use (1) (1) & R134a conversion information (1) (2) how to measure A C temperature (1)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need