Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 12-12-2013, 06:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewsky View Post
In my defense I did grow up in Nebraska.
So do you use a remote starter to cool down the car?
Old 12-12-2013, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: Cars and trucks and boats
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
LOL, thats a good one. If one cannot handle cold, they should retire to Florida
Ha Ha

Lets see, Currently it is 73 degrees F... Yesterday it was 82...

Winter here will be about 40 degrees for a week and perhaps into the high +20's at night for a couple of nights....

When it gets that cold, we huddle up inside and do not go to work or school...!
1995 525xit (gone)
Old 12-12-2013, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwickberg View Post
Ha Ha

Lets see, Currently it is 73 degrees F... Yesterday it was 82...

Winter here will be about 40 degrees for a week and perhaps into the high +20's at night for a couple of nights....

When it gets that cold, we huddle up inside and do not go to work or school...!
Tonight it is supposed to get down to 52 here in Tampa!!!!! The horror! I've got my X3 hooked up to the battery tender and I will make sure to start it 30 minutes before leaving in the morning so that I don't spin a bearing because of the tolerances of a cold engine.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:42 PM

Mein Auto: Corolla

Yes but very hard to use, because these don't work for the X3

Currently there is no simple plug and play (or wire and play) solution for this generation X3. I don't have it, Flashlogic doesn't, Viper/Directed, and even Fortin doesn't have it. I have contacts with a fair share of people all across the country, including sharing forums with the big wigs from the major bypass developers, and if something were available to make this install less of a headache we would be using it for sure! This platform's been out for a couple of years, and I'm still waiting.

That being said, getting a little idle time in the driveway is much nicer than some give it credit for it seems. I drive a 99 Corolla (lol), and the top end is a little clattery while it's cold, and can be a little sluggish.. but after 5 minutes of idle it's right where it needs to be. Plus it's already blowing lukewarm air after just that short time. Not bad on the coldest of days.

I'm no huge expert on the A/F controls of newer BMWs, but I can say that idling in my shop, the X3 was extremely light on 'exhaust smell'. Now obviously that doesn't mean it's not running richer than normal or anything.. maybe it is. But I know I fire up an early 2000s SUV and it gets thick. This thing I could probably suck the tail pipe and be Ok, Lol!!

BTW, I'll shoot ya a PM, Claye!
Old 12-14-2013, 06:26 AM

Mein Auto: Cars and trucks and boats
Re: X3 - Remote Start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac.troseth View Post
Yes but very hard to use, because these don't work for the X3

Currently there is no simple plug and play (or wire and play) solution for this generation X3. I don't have it, Flashlogic doesn't, Viper/Directed, and even Fortin doesn't have it. I have contacts with a fair share of people all across the country, including sharing forums with the big wigs from the major bypass developers, and if something were available to make this install less of a headache we would be using it for sure! This platform's been out for a couple of years, and I'm still waiting.
Have you had much luck with the flash logic in other BMW's? I love remote start in my truck, helps cool it off on hot days. Thinking about adding the flash logic to my X1.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using BimmerApp mobile app
1995 525xit (gone)
Old 12-14-2013, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
As noted earlier, Here what you need:
http://www.amazon.com/Kats-14400-Low...=pd_sim_auto_5

Not sure about the size, but that is easy to sort out. Cheap and easy to install. Growing up in northern MN, we all used these. I think they work better than the now common block heaters.

2007 C260 4Matic - sold
2006 350Z Roadster - sold
To many others to bother with...
Old 12-14-2013, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
Some people seem to think (mistakingly I believe) BMW reads these forums. If this was indeed the case, I would think almost 5000 reads, as compared to the number of reads on all other topics, would give BMW a strong message about the importance of a remote start feature to the people that buy or consider buying their products.

Right now it is 11 F outside. I would certainly pay to have a remote start feature installed if it was available from the factory or was not any more than a plug and play BMW after market product. It also slightly pisses me off every morning at 0500 when I leave for work and I see a number of GM, Ford, and/or Chrysler products warming up in the parking lot with no one present and my $50K technological German wonder cant do it. Nevertheless, I do need to say that under no circumstances would I be willing to compromise the theft security of my X3, even in the slightest, if that was the price to be paid for a remote start system.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:09 PM

Mein Auto: Corolla
The good news is there's no compromise to the antitheft/ security of the X3 with the install! While it's running it's just like you were to start it and then lock your keyfob in the truck while it's running. While running the prox-key feature is inoperative, and thus can only be unlocked by the 2nd keyfob you have around with you normally!
The only way it could be considered compromised is if you were to break the window to gain entrance, open up the dash, then find the keyfob hidden within and do the passive-start where you hold it near the column and press the starter button.
Really the major thing about the install that could be a liability is opening up the PTS switch and soldering wires directly to the circuit board. The worst that could happen from that is if the installer were to mess it up, the PTS switch would need replacement, which is easy. (just make sure to have an installer with a steady soldering hand!)

As far as Flashlogic for BMW interfaces, I personally have not used them. BMWs around here aren't a popular vehicle, and the majority of owners don't want to pay the price associated with installer a remote starter in them properly. In the past the other installers I know have had good luck with it, though.