Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 06-30-2011, 07:09 AM
Go Dawgs!

Mein Auto: E60 550i SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by boothguy View Post
So if I'm understanding correctly, you're keeping your '08 550 and the new car is for your wife, who enjoyed the last experience so much, she's doing it again for her car?
Yep, that's what happened. I had to do a pretty hard sales job on her before I convinced her to get the E60, but my E39 was 8 years old and had 120,000 miles by then. "Honey, I NEED a new car."

She was totally not into The Welt experience, at the time. Wouldn't pose in the picture, and just kind of stood off to the side the whole time while I was acting like a kid in a candy store. Never even drove the new car while we were in Europe, if you can believe it.

Fast forward a couple of months, and one day she drove my car to work instead of her minivan. She came home that evening with a cheshire cat grin and exclaimed "OMG, I LOVE your car." Sold.

Now, the kids are almost all grown up and out of the house (down to our last one, who graduates next year), and we no longer need a minivan. It's 8 years old and has a 100,000 miles on it. "I don't want to drive a dumb old minivan around anymore."

Me: "Honey, do you want to go back to Germany and get you a car?"

Her: "Yes Yes YES! Let's do it!!"

The rest is history in the making.

IMHO: E39 < E60 > F10

2011 F10 535xi (ED July 15, 2011)
2008 E60 550i (ED July 22, 2008)
2000 E39 540i (Retired)

Member BMWCCA #402733
Old 07-01-2011, 09:25 AM
Piacere di guidare

Mein Auto: E93 - ED'ed 5-08
Quote:
Originally Posted by BickUW89 View Post
She was totally not into The Welt experience, at the time. Wouldn't pose in the picture, and just kind of stood off to the side the whole time while I was acting like a kid in a candy store. Never even drove the new car while we were in Europe, if you can believe it.:
My Spousal Unit has never driven on any of the three European Delivery trips thus far, totaling more than 7,500 miles. And one of them was HER CAR. I wonder how many others here have had a similar experience?

My 2011 ED trip report: Second ED off and running... after a brief interruption
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=545068

My 2008 ED trip report: "Thirteen months, 135 miles and wha....?"
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=288271
Old 07-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
My Spousal Unit has never driven on any of the three European Delivery trips thus far, totaling more than 7,500 miles. And one of them was HER CAR. I wonder how many others here have had a similar experience?
+1!
Even if my wife's name was on PO, and I ask her few times - she refuse to drive in Europe.
She regret now big time.
But she is big fan of ED - last time she told me - I don't care what car you get me, all I care - we flying to Germany for pick up.

'13 320i Alpine White/Black/AT

Last edited by MB330; 07-01-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix
Quote:
I drove "her" car out of Munich, and once we got on the A7, I pulled into the first rest area and turned over the keys to her. The next rest stop, she pulled in, gave me the keys, and I had the car for the remainder of our ED. Even though she does well on the Garden State Parkway, she had big problems with the autobahn. Some of those cars were going pretty darn fast. That coupled with the back roads and narrow village streets, I was in 7th heaven.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:16 AM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
My wife did the victory lap and then drove her car off the floor at the Welt. Then after we had the car brought around she drove to Dingolfing. I drove back. The next day she drove the entire way to Salzburg in the rain. We traded off driving the rest of the trip. She did 145 on the Autobahn. When we got a flat tire on a Saturday afternoon, the day before Nurburgring, she told me later that she almost cried realizing the she wouldn't be able to drive the Nurburgring. She's looking forward to taking the BMW CCA Car Control Clinic at the end of July and the BMW CCA Driving School at Willow Springs in December. She loves driving her car and she thoroughly enjoyed driving it in Germany!
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 07-01-2011, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i-Sport
Hello David:

Like Bick, I have become a part-time lurker here. All work and no play . . . you know how it sometimes goes. Nevertheless, I enjoyed your recent trip report as much as your '08 version. You may recall that our paths crossed briefly back in '08 in the parking lot of the Villa Del Balbianello. We had just started our own ED vacation in a new 535i, and you were in the middle of your ordeal. The encounter was brief, but I honestly feel like I know you from the vivid accounts of both ED trips. I am of Italian descent, and particularly appreciate and enjoy the way you bring the food, the wine, and the beauty of the country to life! I know this, you really know how to travel! I'd just love to follow you around on your next trip . . . don't need to know the itinerary to be assured that we'd have a great experience. I'm on a 3-year lease cycle, so my '08 was going back at the end of May. ED was out of the question due to a college graduation (my son), a family wedding (my niece), and the inability to take enough time away from work. So, I did "conventional delivery" of a new 535i. It just wasn't the same. God willing, I'm already looking forward to 2014 for the opportunity of another ED. You've given me inspiration!

All the best,

Phil T.

Last edited by pjt; 07-01-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Piacere di guidare

As much fun as I had behind the wheel on this and the previous trips, I confess I'd have liked to have been a passenger for at least some of it; just to be able to look out the window and take it all in for more than a second at a time. Unfortunately, The Spousal Unit is also a nervous passenger, and if not for her new camera and 32GB memory card, she wouldn't have been looking at the scenery either.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Piacere di guidare

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjt View Post
Hello David:

I enjoyed your recent trip report as much as your '08 version. You may recall that our paths crossed briefly back in '08 in the parking lot of the Villa Del Balbianello. We had just started our own ED vacation in a new 535i, and you were in the middle of your ordeal. The encounter was brief, but I honestly feel like I know you from the vivid accounts of both ED trips. I am of Italian descent, and particularly appreciate and enjoy the way you bring the food, the wine, and the beauty of the country to life! I know this, you really know how to travel! I'd just love to follow you around on your next trip . . . don't need to know the itinerary to be assured that we'd have a great experience. I'm on a 3-year lease cycle, so my '08 was going back at the end of May. ED was out of the question due to a college graduation (my son), a family wedding (my niece), and the inability to take enough time away from work. So, I did "conventional delivery" of a new 535i. It just wasn't the same. God willing, I'm already looking forward to 2014 for the opportunity of another ED. You've given me inspiration!

All the best,

Phil T.
Could (sniff) someone hand me a tissue? I seem to have gotten something (choke) in my eye...

Ahem.

Hi again, Phil: I do vividly remember our brief meeting at Villa del Balbianello in '08: your epically dirty 535 and your whole family's incredulous reaction to the brief recap of our tussle to that point with The Transmission Gremlin.

Thanks for your generous comments - I do appreciate them. As I've mentioned before, my goal was to take you all along on this trip, even though it was much less of an adventure than my last one. Thankfully.

The other thing I hope I illustrated was the value of slow travel. That is, spending more time soaking up the flavor of a particular location, rather than looking at a building for five seconds and then hurrying off to the next Starwood destination on the itinerary. We would have missed most if not all of the really memorable experiences of our last several trips - ED and otherwise, if we had done them Griswold family-style, and had we not stayed in small, non-chain hotels.

I rarely comment on someone's proposed itinerary or hotel choices here on the ED forum, even though they're asking, because not everyone has the same priorities. But right now, there's someone soliciting opinions on an itin that has them staying in a different hotel every night of a one-week stay, and commenting that his travel companion has been to this part of the world a couple of years back, but really doesn't remember any of it. Gee - I wonder why? For me, that scarcely counts as travel.

My advice: see less and experience more. Take the long way from A-to-B. Strike up a conversation with the folks at the next table. Let a local sit in your car. Buy a snack from the lady in the little pizzeria that's smaller than your walk-in closet at home. Walk through an open-air market, even if you don't need anything. Buy some groceries - even just some bread or cheese or salumi: you'll be rubbing elbows with the locals. Slow down.

Not everyone's interested in a three-hour tasting of 35 different Barolos - I get that. But leave some room in your travel plans for the possibility of something unplanned like that happening. Otherwise, it never will. And you will have seen the sights, but missed the experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04009.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	356.7 KB
ID:	283799   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02488.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	283800   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03081.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	435.8 KB
ID:	283801   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02435.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	423.1 KB
ID:	283802  

Old 07-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Registered Troublemaker

Mein Auto: 2002 M3
Quote:
Could (sniff) someone hand me a tissue? I seem to have gotten something (choke) in my eye...

Ahem.

Hi again, Phil: I do vividly remember our brief meeting at Villa del Balbianello in '08: your epically dirty 535 and your whole family's incredulous reaction to the brief recap of our tussle to that point with The Transmission Gremlin.

Thanks for your generous comments - I do appreciate them. As I've mentioned before, my goal was to take you all along on this trip, even though it was much less of an adventure than my last one. Thankfully.

The other thing I hope I illustrated was the value of slow travel. That is, spending more time soaking up the flavor of a particular location, rather than looking at a building for five seconds and then hurrying off to the next Starwood destination on the itinerary. We would have missed most if not all of the really memorable experiences of our last several trips - ED and otherwise, if we had done them Griswold family-style, and had we not stayed in small, non-chain hotels.

I rarely comment on someone's proposed itinerary or hotel choices here on the ED forum, even though they're asking, because not everyone has the same priorities. But right now, there's someone soliciting opinions on an itin that has them staying in a different hotel every night of a one-week stay, and commenting that his travel companion has been to this part of the world a couple of years back, but really doesn't remember any of it. Gee - I wonder why? For me, that scarcely counts as travel.

My advice: see less and experience more. Take the long way from A-to-B. Strike up a conversation with the folks at the next table. Let a local sit in your car. Buy a snack from the lady in the little pizzeria that's smaller than your walk-in closet at home. Walk through an open-air market, even if you don't need anything. Buy some groceries - even just some bread or cheese or salumi: you'll be rubbing elbows with the locals. Slow down.

Not everyone's interested in a three-hour tasting of 35 different Barolos - I get that. But leave some room in your travel plans for the possibility of something unplanned like that happening. Otherwise, it never will. And you will have seen the sights, but missed the experience.
Nice thoughts!

I added a small Chateau/hotel in Heiligenblut, Austria for this very reason. Experience something we couldn't had we just used mass transit and chain hotels.

We're doing the chain hotels in Munich and Vienna as we have a significant number of hotel points to burn, and those two cities are somewhat pricey for rooms. We are doing a lakeside hotel in Lenno, as recommended by SkywalkerBeth, to round out the trip. Three nights at each location except Munich as we have been there twice before for ED's.

As a way to get to know the local flavor a bit better, we are taking an Italian cooking class near Lake Como. That should be fun. I always thought one just opened the can of spaghettio's and heated the contents. Apparently there are Italian dishes that can be prepared without the use of a can opener. Who knew?

2005 E53 X5 4.4i, Imola Red over black, Sport, Premium, Cold, Hybrid Audio Technology Imagine 6.5's

2011 E90 M3, Melbourne Red Metallic, Fox Red/Black, 6-speed, Premium 2, Heated seats, iPod/USB, Technic harness, JL 6/600
Old 07-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Piacere di guidare

Good call. I had intended to do a cooking class on this trip as well, but couldn't quite fit it in. You're going to let us know how it goes, right?

Old 07-07-2011, 09:45 AM
Piacere di guidare

Since pictures of the car seem to get the most views, I thought just for grins I'd put up a selection for you all.

The key:

Although it's a little like peeking at your Christmas presents, it was nice to get a pre-delivery look at my car.

One time you don't need to say "cheese" to get a grin for the camera. Wine-O's 535 is over there in the distance.

Everybody wanted to check out the M3 every time it was stationary.

A very rare occurrence: lots of space in an Italian parking garage.

Finally some sunshine in Piemonte.

Topless in Tuscany.

From this far away, it doesn't look all that dirty.

Everybody who wanted to sit in the car got a turn.

Stone buildings in Chianti country make a nice contrast with the Le Mans Blue.

Mona Lisa was here - and my E93 too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00933.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	295.1 KB
ID:	284131   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00955.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	284132   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01066.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	290.5 KB
ID:	284133   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01225.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	284134   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02236.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	463.1 KB
ID:	284135  

Name:	DSC04010.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	284136   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03984.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	284138   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03883.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	284139   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03608.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	284140   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03181.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	356.1 KB
ID:	284141  

Old 07-07-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:

Everybody who wanted to sit in the car got a turn.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Who could turn that down.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Registered Troublemaker

Quote:
Good call. I had intended to do a cooking class on this trip as well, but couldn't quite fit it in. You're going to let us know how it goes, right?
Yes, I'll let you all know...assuming I remember anything.

2005 E53 X5 4.4i, Imola Red over black, Sport, Premium, Cold, Hybrid Audio Technology Imagine 6.5's

2011 E90 M3, Melbourne Red Metallic, Fox Red/Black, 6-speed, Premium 2, Heated seats, iPod/USB, Technic harness, JL 6/600
Old 07-07-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
Yes, I'll let you all know...assuming I remember anything.
You're taking the class and not your wife?
Old 07-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Piacere di guidare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wine-O View Post
Best chefs in the world are men, Mike...

Old 07-11-2011, 04:30 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328cic and Mercedes
Just once I want to see a photo of a group of women standing around an open hood, hands on their chins, peering in...

eek! She's home! In my garage!

Hannah Belle crosses the Alps - the photos

Hannah Belle crosses the Alps - the blog
Old 07-11-2011, 10:17 AM
Registered Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wine-O View Post
You are under the misconception that she has time to mess around on internet forums or help me mess around on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalkerbeth View Post
Just once I want to see a photo of a group of women standing around an open hood, hands on their chins, peering in...
Well, when I raced my wife would take tire temps and pressures (and sometimes even brake rotor temps as I came into the hot pits after a hot lap). She also torqued the lug nuts -- had to be sure I hadn't pissed her off beforehand. Quite capable around the trailer with tools, and general event organization, etc. She did leave the messy stuff to me though (smart woman).

Last edited by admranger; 07-11-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Piacere di guidare

I love my wife, but do confess to a certain amount of envy for you guys whose spouses know what a torque wrench is AND can use it, cry when they miss-out driving on the Nordschliefe and go "whoo-hoo" when zooming around the 49 hairpin bends on the Stelvio. If those kinds of women are ever found in a group it would sure satisfy Beth's scenario above.

Anyone here have what they consider to be the ideal ED/enthusiast spouse? Or if not, how about a better description of one?

Old 01-17-2012, 10:49 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: F01 Active Hybrid
just stumbled upon your ED experiance. Congrats - Awesome pix !!!

On Order: '15 M3 and 15 Ferrari Cali T
Current:'14 Quotroporte V8tt,'14 F33 EB2
Previous:14 Ferrari Cali,14 F15 N63tu,13 991 C4S Cab,14 F15 N63tu,11 W212W4d,13 Chrysler T&C,13 E92 M3 Lime Rock Park,13 F12,13 W212W4,12 E70d,12 F01 hybrid,12 MDX, '11 LS3 Camaro Cab,12 E70d,11 E89,11 GLK350,11 E70,11 C300,10 MDX,09 E93, 09 Civic,07 E70,06 E90,05CR-V SE,04Accord EXLV6, 01Accord EXLV6,00 Maxima,93 E190,91Accord,88Accord,86Accord
Old 01-17-2012, 01:08 PM
Piacere di guidare

Holy thread bump! Thanks for the nice comments.

I couldn't tell from your other thread about just having received the pre-trip package from BMW whether this will be your first ED or not. Either way, you're going to tell us how it goes, right? Remember the 12-Hour Rule, which has sort of fallen by the wayside recently, still has teeth and has been known to bite if you don't observe it... And that means ALL you EDers out there.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:20 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: F01 Active Hybrid
Quote:
Holy thread bump! Thanks for the nice comments.

I couldn't tell from your other thread about just having received the pre-trip package from BMW whether this will be your first ED or not. Either way, you're going to tell us how it goes, right? Remember the 12-Hour Rule, which has sort of fallen by the wayside recently, still has teeth and has been known to bite if you don't observe it... And that means ALL you EDers out there.
Yes, This is my 3rd ED

and everytime is just as exciting as the first.....cant wait to go back to the PCD as well to take re-delivery ( this would be my 10th time at the PCD or 11th...but whose counting...lol)

On Order: '15 M3 and 15 Ferrari Cali T
Current:'14 Quotroporte V8tt,'14 F33 EB2
Previous:14 Ferrari Cali,14 F15 N63tu,13 991 C4S Cab,14 F15 N63tu,11 W212W4d,13 Chrysler T&C,13 E92 M3 Lime Rock Park,13 F12,13 W212W4,12 E70d,12 F01 hybrid,12 MDX, '11 LS3 Camaro Cab,12 E70d,11 E89,11 GLK350,11 E70,11 C300,10 MDX,09 E93, 09 Civic,07 E70,06 E90,05CR-V SE,04Accord EXLV6, 01Accord EXLV6,00 Maxima,93 E190,91Accord,88Accord,86Accord
Old 02-14-2012, 09:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 328i
I took it here, http://www.eastsidebavarian.com/ , the total cost was a little over $300 dollars. It was about $99 dollars an hour. The labor consumed most of the total price up. Before you take it in to get it fixed you should buy a bottle of techron and right when your gas tank is almost out pour the whole bottle into the tank, then fill your car up with non ethanol gas that does not have any additives or any junk in it. Take the car on the freeway and run it at a high level of RPM's at high speeds for no more than 30 minutes to help reduce the carbon build up which is helping cause your problem. That was what BMW of Bellevue told me to do and it worked a little and my car would stop "shaking" as much but because I had waited for over 4k miles to get it fixed I had got myself stuck.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:53 PM
Piacere di guidare

Umm, excuse me?

Old 02-15-2012, 04:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 128i Convertible
Quote:
I'm about to find out myself when we leave tonight. My wife has gone to being mildly interested in the whole ED concept to being pretty thoroughly fed up. She is expecting the worst. I guess it's my fault because I've been obsessing on this whole adventure for the past 6 months. I've made the mistake of keeping her informed of all progress, or lack thereof, from Day One. And all she seems to remember is the lack of information, false assumptions, the waiting and the expenses involved. She foolishly still persists in believing I know what I'm doing at all times and blames the dealership and others for any of the minor glitches we've encountered thus far. And knowing we'll be leaving the mildest NE PA weather in history for some of Europe's worst ever ain't helping.

And the oddest thing is that this is gonna be her car! She already said she's not going to drive over there. She's very concerned that when the car comes back here she can't drive it because it'll look bad driving a BMW when half her teacher friends are losing their jobs. TS. I'll drive it then.

Fortunately for me she loves travel even more than myself. I feel certain that once we get out of the Welt, get the snows installed and finally arrive at our Pension, she'll be having a great time. Once she downs a couple sweet Mosel wines she'll come around.

I just hope that all my measurements of the 128i trunk are accurate or we'll be tossing out a suitcase at the Welt.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:56 AM
E92 M3 ED on 2/20/12!

Mein Auto: 2006 330Ci Convertible
That's a shame. I couldn't stand someone else driving my new car first! I've never driven in snow (except once I rented a car in Tahoe during the winter) but I'm gonna do it next week! The car has winter tires, and as I understand it, the freeways get cleared immediately. You need to get her pumped up!!! You know, tell her something like, "Now that all my careful planning is paying off, honey, the fun begins! New car, here we come!". And if your wife would respond to such a comment, try "You're gonna look awesome behind the wheel of that 128i!".

Mikla
2000 328i Sedan: 5MT, Titanium Silver/Gray, Sport Package

Last edited by Mikla; 02-15-2012 at 04:59 AM.