Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Tires

Was going to replace the Original Bridgestones on the X5 after 35K with some runflat Michelins; however, it seems they are back-ordered for 30 days or so. So it looks like I'll be giving the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season non-runflats a try, as I need new tires for a trip in a couple of weeks.

The Verde scores well in TireRack test and surveys, so we'll see how it goes. While I like the security of runflats, long nationwide backorders give me pause to think "what if I was on a long trip and needed a replacement, due to a cut or sidewall puncture?" The Michelin runflat might get me 50 miles, but then what, wait three weeks to get a replacement tire shipped?
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2013, 11:18 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
1. Michelins arent always backordered. Perhaps the Verde will be backordered when YOU need a replacement...

2. Call tires-easy.com and ask about stock 07571. Usually better prices than tirerack

3. If I was stranded, Id buy a used something to get me buy. (Actually I keep spare tires of all sorts in the barn. Each car, a couple here and there. Keep the best of the 4 Bridgestones you take off, just in case...

GL

A
Old 04-09-2013, 04:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Was going to replace the Original Bridgestones on the X5 after 35K with some runflat Michelins; however, it seems they are back-ordered for 30 days or so. So it looks like I'll be giving the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season non-runflats a try, as I need new tires for a trip in a couple of weeks.

The Verde scores well in TireRack test and surveys, so we'll see how it goes. While I like the security of runflats, long nationwide backorders give me pause to think "what if I was on a long trip and needed a replacement, due to a cut or sidewall puncture?" The Michelin runflat might get me 50 miles, but then what, wait three weeks to get a replacement tire shipped?
I was in need of replacement tires back in January, I ended up replacing the Michelin RFT with the Bridgestone's, Michelins have been on national backorder since January, I actually find the Bridgestones ride and handle better than the equivalent Michelin tires. Apparently Michelin only manufactures a specific amount of tires throughout the year. When I checked in January, Tire Rack stated sometime in April, I just checked and now they are showing sometime in May.

Last edited by ductman; 04-09-2013 at 04:17 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
1. Michelins arent always backordered. Perhaps the Verde will be backordered when YOU need a replacement...

3. If I was stranded, Id buy a used something to get me buy.

A
Good comments, but...

(1) ove the past couple of year I've noticed that the Michelin runflats seem to be backordered quite a bit, at least when checking TireRack (I've only checked other sources recently, as previously I didn't need tires and was looking at tires in anticipation, rather than actually planning to buy, so it's possible that the prior backorders I saw might have been just TireRack).

(2) Buying a "used something" is probably what I would do; however, while mixing different tires on one axle is never a good idea, mixing a runflat of any brand with a non-runflat on the same axle would seem to be a really bad idea, considering the large difference in sidewall stiffness. And finding a reasonable pair of used runflat in the right size (255/55 18) is likely to be pretty difficult in some of the areas I travel. So I'd probably be looking at buying two used somethings, and having to carry the remaining good tire along until I could buy the right tires.

As for keeping the best of the old tires as for potential temporary use, that is a good idea; however, my concern is when I am on a long trip, not when I am around home. And I really don't want to lug a full-sized tire around as I need the space for camping gear when I go for long trips.

In any case, I would have sprung for the Michelin Runflats if they were available, but that's not an option as I need the tire for a Phoenix trip in a couple of weeks and the outside tread is worn almost bald on one of the front tires, with the other tire showing similar wear, although not as severe. In any case, I guess I'll soon find-out if the Verde is a good as their ratings show, as I found a local place which will do four with Roadforce balancing for $880, which isn't too bad. Previously I have traveled to the TireRack headquarters to buy/mount new tires a couple of times, as it's only a 100 mile drive and an interesting day-trip destination.

P.S. I gave tires-easy a call, and was less than successful. First the guy told me he couldn't look up the availability or the price using the 07571 number, so then I gave him the tire size. His response was "we don't carry the Michelin run-flat in that size." So I said, do you mean it is backordered?, and he said, "No, we just don't carry the Michelin ZP in that size."

Last edited by Penguin; 04-09-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto: '11 X6 50i; '05 X5 4.4
A couple of thoughts on tire choices as I just ordered a set of 4 for my X6.. I decided to get off the hard and noisy runflats and into a standard tire myself... Considering I have owned numerous cars (curently have 3) and have been a licensed driver for 33 years and NEVER have been stranded with a flat tire I consider the risk vs. benefits of standard performance tire of a no brainer... I've had my share of nails and tire issues but never to a point where I was stranded.. I do keep a compressor in my X5 and will be getting one for the X6. Having said that I decided after researching online numerous reviews to go with the Nitto Motivo's 315/275's... They have a 560 tread rating A/A and a great review on Road & Track plus others... Its not like I'm driving the X6 on a speed course or rough cornering and wouldn't think of doing it in the X5 either.. I do have a sports car that I do put softer stickier tires on but the X5/X6 imo don't get the benefit from softer faster wearing tires... Maybe some of you out there are driving balls to the walls in your X's.. don't get me wrong I like to get from point A to B in a hurry but when there are turns involved I tend to slow down for them
Old 04-09-2013, 05:19 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

^^ oh well. I scored a se of ps2s for the M5 for $200 per from them. They seemed to order big lots and distribute from their stocks.

I also did hear that Michelin 'batches' production. I had to wait on some PS2s from France (315/30ZR18s) that was a PITA

Agree on the mis-matched on an axle, but for a week awaiting a new tire, I could live with that.

A
Old 04-10-2013, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto: LEXUS RX350
Continental

Replaced Michelin rft with continental rft
Had 40 k on michelins. Continentals produce better ride
Old 04-10-2013, 11:24 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-lex View Post
Replaced Michelin rft with continental rft
Had 40 k on michelins. Continentals produce better ride
How do you compare the michelins 40k ago to the new continentals? Or are you comparing the old worn out mich to the new contis?

Just saying it is really hard to 'A-B' stuff like this... one classic is when people take an old, tired tranny with 10 year old fluid with 100k miles on it...ans switch to [royal purple, redline, fill in the blank] and RAVE about how superior it is to "that stock BMW stuff" becuase the shifting is smoother now.

And how do YOU define 'better ride'?

just saying...