Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 06-01-2011, 06:40 AM

Mein Auto: N/A
Navigation using Android HTC EVO

I'm picking up my car next Monday and I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do in terms of navigation. I have a Sprint Android HTC EVO 4g phone and ideally would like to download an app that stores the maps on the phone. Does any one have any actually exprience with such an app that has turn by turn directions that they can recommended? Specifically I'm looking for the following features:
-Turn by Turn navigation
-Continuous navigation without cell phone coverage (I want to avoid roaming charges)
-The ability to pre plan my route on my laptop then pull that route/map up on my phone and have turn by turn directions.

I'm not sure if the last feature is possible but it would be nice.

Thanks all for your help!
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2011, 07:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 Z4 35is
I have used Navigon on Android phone for the past couple of years. Works well and it does not require mobile data. Prior to that, I've used TomTom on WIN and iPhone, but I don't think they released Android version yet.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:44 AM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Will a sprint phone even work in europe? It's not gsm.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 e90 335d (M-sport)
I thought BMW would provide you a rental GPS unit if your ED car didn't have Nav/iDrive.... Isn't that still the case?
Old 06-01-2011, 09:23 AM
Can has cheezburger

Mein Auto: 550 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
Sprint has some CMDA/GSM phones. They call them "World Phones" I think.

However, a CDMA only phone will not work in almost any place in the world outside of USA, Bahamas, South America, South Korea and the Philippines.

Check with Sprint to see if your phone is on the list (it's small).
Old 06-01-2011, 10:51 AM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Verizon has CDMA phones with a "bridge" SIM that will work in Europe. They have a "Global Traveler" program for existing customers and will loan you the phone for free, all you pay is $19.99 for 2-day FedEx delivery (return is free) and $1.29/call. You can also opt for a $4.99/month fee that will reduce the call rate to $0.99/call, so with 8 calls you're saving money. This fee is also pro-rated, so if you have the phone for less than a month, the fee is less. This worked well for us and was indispensable when we had a flat tire at 16:30 on a Saturday afternoon. (In Germany everything service-related closes at 14:00 on Saturday and nothing is open on Sunday.)

They FedEx the phone to you and you get it several days before you leave. It comes with a dual-voltage charger and a couple of different Euro plugs. Once you return, you put everything in the same box, put on the return FedEx label and drop it off at a FedEx location. This is just for a standard "dumb" phone though, with no navigation capability.

However, if you're planning on using your Sprint phone providing it will function in Europe, the data charges will bankrupt you. There's no way that you can use a smartphone to do real-time navigation without incurring data charges.

Based on what you want to do you either need the BMW Nav or a Garmin or Magellen GPS device, loaded with European maps. Even with the BMW Nav you can't pre-plan your routes.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Last edited by SD Z4MR; 06-01-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
You are not reading his post correctly. OP knows that he cannot get a CDMA signal with his htc Evo by Spriint. What he plans to do is to use an app and "DOWNLOAD" the map onto his phone's memroy. In short, his htc Evo will function as a portable navigation device while he is in europe. Brilliant idea IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBGame View Post
I thought BMW would provide you a rental GPS unit if your ED car didn't have Nav/iDrive.... Isn't that still the case?

Dunno where you heard that.... It was NEVER the case in all the years I've been doing ED. Presently, if you BMW was purchased w/ an OEM BMW Navigation system, they will upload the European Maps for your use in ED. But they were NEVER in the business of lending out maps or Portable device. I am guessing that you might have your wires crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieKnight View Post
Sprint has some CMDA/GSM phones. They call them "World Phones" I think.

However, a CDMA only phone will not work in almost any place in the world outside of USA, Bahamas, South America, South Korea and the Philippines.

Check with Sprint to see if your phone is on the list (it's small).
The htc Evo is a CDMA only phone. But OP knows that thus this is NOT the question.

beewang

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G on the Now Network from SprintŪ
Old 06-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
AJS2005, please check your PM

Thank you!!

beewang
Old 06-01-2011, 01:48 PM

Mein Auto: N/A
Beewang you are correct. I am aware that my cell phone will not work because it is not GSM. The GPS functionality should still work however. I'm hoping to download the maps of Europe to my phone's "hard drive" and run the GPS without cell phone connection. I'm thinking of using something like the following:

http://www.ndrive.com/en/platforms/android

http://www.navigon.com/portal/int/pr...r_android.html

I'm open to other suggestions if you have used any other apps.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
seems like you'd be better off just buying a Garmin unit with European maps.

Can't cost that much more than a Navigon software and you have a real GPS to boot.

I've used Garmin software on a WinMo phone and it was terrible.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBGame View Post
You mixed BMW ED program with Audi.
Audi do provide portable navigation device if your car has navigation unit. BMW navigation system work in Europe - Audi's (only work in US).

'13 320i Alpine White/Black/AT