Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-01-2011, 06:46 PM
dbringas dbringas is offline
Registered User
Location: las vegas
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 87
Mein Auto: 2007 530i
Why need to register a battery??

So my car died today after a few times of resetting the time when i started it a couple days before, today it just wont start....i called autozone and they have the battery for $169 and they said registering the battery is just a bunch of BS...is this true? Wat does registering do? I called my SA he said they mite not be able to register the autozone battery and the battery cost $230-270 plus registering $150? Why? I dunno are they just feeding me a bunch of crock? I dont know who to believe now...help pls thanks
__________________
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 06-01-2011, 06:50 PM
rctmthouse rctmthouse is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bay Area
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 171
Mein Auto: 550i
You can buy a Walmart battery for cheaper too but make sure it's the same type; and yes the Autozone guy is correct, IMO. I replaced mine almost 2 years ago with Sears' battery, never registered it and works fine so far. Search and you will find lots of threads on this topic.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-01-2011, 06:57 PM
MMME30W's Avatar
MMME30W MMME30W is offline
Super Moderator
Location: On The Move
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 14,118
Mein Auto: 2009 W906
This was in a letter in Roundel this month. It seems the car's rate of charge is determined by the battery age. So you need to register it in order to take that into account, or the battery life is slightly reduced, apparently.

But yes, it seems legit.
__________________
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by,and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.”

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-01-2011, 07:05 PM
rctmthouse rctmthouse is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bay Area
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 171
Mein Auto: 550i
I researched on this issue thoroughly before I made my decision back then. I didn't really care much about the battery life since I can buy 3 batteries at Sears or Kragen for the same amount that costs me for one battery at the dealership. My main concern at the time was if the voltage of an aftermarket battery any different than the OEM and does it have any negative effect on the electronic parts. From what I read from various forums, it seems like all people who used aftermartket one did not have any electrical issue.

OP, it all depends on what you feel comfortable with.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-01-2011, 07:31 PM
dbringas dbringas is offline
Registered User
Location: las vegas
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 87
Mein Auto: 2007 530i
Ok so if i go with the aftermarket battery will that void my warranty i bought it as a cpo so i hav 6yrs 100k mile warranty and the maintenance warranty? Also can sumone tell me why a battery needs to be registered by the dealer? Thanks
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-01-2011, 07:34 PM
TruBlue550i TruBlue550i is offline
Registered User
Location: Houston
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 15
Mein Auto: 06 550I: 92VW VR6 Corrado
I changed my battery about 8 months ago with a battery from O'Rielly's Auto Parts an I didn't have it registered. No problems so far.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-01-2011, 07:40 PM
tturedraider's Avatar
tturedraider tturedraider is offline
Freedom isn't free!!
Location: Chicago, north shore (via Tennessee & Texas)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 14,976
Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
The dealer dosen' t have to do the registration. An indy with the right equipment can do. Got my battery at Wal-Mart, put it in myself then had my indy register it.

Sent from y ADR6300 using Bimmer App
__________________

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-01-2011, 08:52 PM
MSAMMY MSAMMY is offline
2007 550i & X3, 2002 X5
Location: Connecticut
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 658
Mein Auto: BMW 550i, X5, X3
Guys, this battery registration is a bunch of BS. Think about it, they want to take $400+ out of your pocket for a new BMW battery and registration. These are the same guys telling you to buy a $129 BMW battery tender to keep your battery fully charged for short mileage situations. Well, if the charging system is inadequate for short trips, and the battery needs to be trickle-charged to maintain its juice, what makes anyone think registering a new battery to make sure the charging system is aware of the battery age is doing any good if it isn't doing the job anyway! Do yourself a favor, go to AutoZone, buy the Duralast Gold battery that fits your car for $149, skip the registration and do it all over again in a few years and you'll save a bunch of money. Trust me, these batteries are very easy to replace and are squeaky-clean based on where they are mounted! Sheesh, this isn't that complicated and BMW certainly has duped many of this to seem more complicated than it really is to grab our money!
__________________

2007 550i, Sport Premium, Silver Gray Metallic, Gray Dakota, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Access, Heated Rear Seats, HD Radio, Xenon


2007 X3, 3.0si ///M Sport Premium, Monaco Blue, Gray Dakota, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Xenon

2002 X5, 3.0i Sport Premium, Titanium Silver, Gray Dakota, Cold Weather Package, Xenon, just a winter vehicle
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Moverfive Moverfive is online now
Registered User
Location: Brentwood, TN
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 530i
Based on the article in Roundel, a 2007 530 does not require the battery to be registered. In fact, I don't even see any E60's on the required list.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-01-2011, 11:12 PM
dbringas dbringas is offline
Registered User
Location: las vegas
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 87
Mein Auto: 2007 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Got my battery at Wal-Mart, put it in myself then had my indy register it.

Sent from y ADR6300 using Bimmer App
What do u mean by My indy??? Thanks
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-02-2011, 07:38 AM
bryant bryant is offline
Registered User
Location: Indianapolis
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 35
Send a message via ICQ to bryant
Mein Auto: 545i
indy = independent mechanic.
__________________

BMW 545i sport (active steering, sport suspension, dynamic drive) moonroof, adaptive headlights, CD changer, cold weather package, Logic 7 sound, Navigation, Park distance control, homelink, voice input system, hard wired V1
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-02-2011, 08:43 AM
HPIA4v2 HPIA4v2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: washington
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,128
Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
indy = independent mechanic.
But I can only recommend shops that specializing in BMW or european cars, cause they have similar electronic tools to do the job right.


As far as registering batt, it has merit (neccessity is up to individual choice, read on). The AGM batt is less robust but better in retaining charge than regular lead-acid batt, it requires lower current of C/10 where C is capacity of the batt here so typical batt is like 80Amp thus charging current is around 8Amp or less; while lead-acid requires but can handle up to C/4 is most cases or 20Amp.

Combination of fuel efficiency like why charge batt when you don't need it, or only do it when you are crusing on freeway not stop-go traffic etc, and limitation of batt chemsitry to tell the elctronics when it's full, unlike dry cell like NiCd drop it's voltage to tell charger to stop the charger applying current for example, lead to decision to look at the batt charging profile throughout the lifetime of AGM batt, and age is one of the biggest factor. At early age the AGM requires very little charge to stay full but as it ages it needs more cause the self-discharge gets worse.

So let say you have 6-yr old car, the car is never told through registration how old is batt, it has to assume the batt is as old as the car. The charging profile for 6 year old AGM may require C/7 of charge current or less to stay full most of the time and you replace the batt with another AGM batt (the new batt really neds only C/10) then you are overcharging and shorten the life of that new AGM battt. Let say you replace the batt with regular lead-acid which requires maybe C/5 to C/4 charge current then your car will always under-charge it.
The question would be if batt is $200 and you'll get 4 years instad of 6 do you need batt to be registered at an extra $200 or just go ahead buy a new one again next time, it's anybody call.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-02-2011, 10:05 AM
djfitter's Avatar
djfitter djfitter is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orange County, SoCal
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,532
Mein Auto: BMW '08 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
But I can only recommend shops that specializing in BMW or european cars, cause they have similar electronic tools to do the job right.


As far as registering batt, it has merit (neccessity is up to individual choice, read on). The AGM batt is less robust but better in retaining charge than regular lead-acid batt, it requires lower current of C/10 where C is capacity of the batt here so typical batt is like 80Amp thus charging current is around 8Amp or less; while lead-acid requires but can handle up to C/4 is most cases or 20Amp.

Combination of fuel efficiency like why charge batt when you don't need it, or only do it when you are crusing on freeway not stop-go traffic etc, and limitation of batt chemsitry to tell the elctronics when it's full, unlike dry cell like NiCd drop it's voltage to tell charger to stop the charger applying current for example, lead to decision to look at the batt charging profile throughout the lifetime of AGM batt, and age is one of the biggest factor. At early age the AGM requires very little charge to stay full but as it ages it needs more cause the self-discharge gets worse.

So let say you have 6-yr old car, the car is never told through registration how old is batt, it has to assume the batt is as old as the car. The charging profile for 6 year old AGM may require C/7 of charge current or less to stay full most of the time and you replace the batt with another AGM batt (the new batt really neds only C/10) then you are overcharging and shorten the life of that new AGM battt. Let say you replace the batt with regular lead-acid which requires maybe C/5 to C/4 charge current then your car will always under-charge it.
The question would be if batt is $200 and you'll get 4 years instad of 6 do you need batt to be registered at an extra $200 or just go ahead buy a new one again next time, it's anybody call.
Good read.

dj
__________________
'08 535i
Deep Sea Blue
Cream Beige
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Chagahan Chagahan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 114
Mein Auto: 2007 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAMMY View Post
Guys, this battery registration is a bunch of BS. Think about it, they want to take $400+ out of your pocket for a new BMW battery and registration. These are the same guys telling you to buy a $129 BMW battery tender to keep your battery fully charged for short mileage situations. Well, if the charging system is inadequate for short trips, and the battery needs to be trickle-charged to maintain its juice, what makes anyone think registering a new battery to make sure the charging system is aware of the battery age is doing any good if it isn't doing the job anyway! Do yourself a favor, go to AutoZone, buy the Duralast Gold battery that fits your car for $149, skip the registration and do it all over again in a few years and you'll save a bunch of money. Trust me, these batteries are very easy to replace and are squeaky-clean based on where they are mounted! Sheesh, this isn't that complicated and BMW certainly has duped many of this to seem more complicated than it really is to grab our money!
how do you install battery ? Anything to be carefull of ?
__________________
2007 530i PP,SP,CW,Nav,Comfort Access
2006 x5 PP,SP, Nav
(ED) 2005 330ci SP, Auto, Xenon,Heated seats, Nav -retired&missed
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-02-2011, 05:07 PM
boramkiv's Avatar
boramkiv boramkiv is offline
Propellers Up Front
Location: Chesapeake, VA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,791
Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
It's simple to do you can check here for some help: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...926&highlight=

You must worry about venting the battery correctly apparently, and yes the whole registering the battery thing is (let me be nice by not saying BS) Bullcrap!!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-02-2011, 09:44 PM
MSAMMY MSAMMY is offline
2007 550i & X3, 2002 X5
Location: Connecticut
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 658
Mein Auto: BMW 550i, X5, X3
Yes, as Boramkiv says, a very good DIY and it's very important that you pay attention to the fact the battery is vented and you place the vent tube in the proper venting location. I still maintain that battery registration in BS, but our friend Boramkiv puts it much more eloquently than I!
__________________

2007 550i, Sport Premium, Silver Gray Metallic, Gray Dakota, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Access, Heated Rear Seats, HD Radio, Xenon


2007 X3, 3.0si ///M Sport Premium, Monaco Blue, Gray Dakota, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Xenon

2002 X5, 3.0i Sport Premium, Titanium Silver, Gray Dakota, Cold Weather Package, Xenon, just a winter vehicle
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-03-2011, 03:15 AM
KFG.WarBoss.BMW KFG.WarBoss.BMW is offline
Registered User
Location: Portugal
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: BMW
YES, YES, YES!! YOU NEED TO REGISTER THE BATTERY !!

All will work if you dont register ir, but ALL WORKS BETTER after doing it... and, in the long range, you will save money and need less battery replacements.

The whole car is full of electrical systems, more and more each day, and the car has to make sure he will have enough power to comply with whatever might be needed, including breakes, steering, information and so much more. In the latest, it is your own safety you are taking care of.

But, as said before, the owner can do as he wish...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-03-2011, 08:09 AM
njlou njlou is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 836
Mein Auto: corvette/528xi
I am not so sure that the dealers replace the AGM batts with AGM.
I think that they go cheap with lead acid when they have to pay.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-03-2011, 08:21 AM
HPIA4v2 HPIA4v2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: washington
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,128
Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by njlou View Post
I am not so sure that the dealers replace the AGM batts with AGM.
I think that they go cheap with lead acid when they have to pay.
I bought many-many parts at dealer and never once they sold me non-OE parts, they could get into trouble if BMWNA finds out. BTW, dealer go by BMW part number.

I am not saying aftermarket parts is junk, I use alot of them as well in my repair jobs.

Last edited by HPIA4v2; 06-03-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-03-2011, 09:57 AM
mookish mookish is offline
Registered User
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 87
Mein Auto: 2008 550i M-Sport SAT
When a battery change requires a visit to the dealer...something's wrong! Remember the good ol days when you didn't need to be a rocket scientist to diagnose car troubles? These days you need a supercomputer to do the simplest task.

Registration is real, from what I understand, if you fail to register, your battery life "may" be shortened to some degree, but with the cost difference of an OEM battey, plus install and registration, most people rather go to their local auto parts store. There is no definitive answer as to what effect NOT registering actually has, like a comparison. So for me, if a battery will last 5 years with reg and 4 without, I'd rather pay the $150 twice for 8 years of service rather pay over 400 once for 5 years of service.
__________________
Live the Yuppie life, drive the Yuppie car, pay the Yuppie price.
Don't live the Yuppie life, but like to pose as a Yuppie? Pay the Yuppie price.
Don't live the Yuppie life, don't make the Yuppie income, but like the Yuppie car? Be quiet and learn to get your hands dirty.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-03-2011, 11:02 AM
fd1 fd1 is offline
Registered User
Location: WA
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 30
Mein Auto: 08 550i
Interesting and informative post on that subject. Worthy to be a Sticky?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-03-2011, 11:10 AM
w5lx's Avatar
w5lx w5lx is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: North Texas
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 975
Mein Auto: 2008 528i/2007 328i Coupe
From BMW Technical Service Bulletin SI B 61 13 05:


5. New battery registration

Registration of the new battery is necessary, using the DIS/GT1 service function. If the new battery is not registered, erroneous messages (check control) may appear.
Use the following path the register the new battery: "Function selection>Service functions>Body>Power supply>Battery>Register battery change>Test plan". Follow the test plan instructions.
If a new battery is installed, the "Energy Diagnosis" test plan should be completed prior to
registering the new battery. When the battery is registered, the stored energy history is deleted. This may cause the vehicle to return if the root cause of the dead battery is not determined.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-03-2011, 11:03 PM
dbringas dbringas is offline
Registered User
Location: las vegas
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 87
Mein Auto: 2007 530i
Thanks for all the help guys now im more confused! Lol anyway does anyone know an easy do it yourself battery installation website for the 530i? Thanks!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-03-2011, 11:17 PM
rctmthouse rctmthouse is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bay Area
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 171
Mein Auto: 550i
http://gallery.me.com/ratherbeincabo#100032
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-03-2011, 11:19 PM
rctmthouse rctmthouse is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bay Area
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 171
Mein Auto: 550i
http://forums.5series.net/topic/6852...y-replacement/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms