Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 06-01-2011, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
Why need to register a battery??

So my car died today after a few times of resetting the time when i started it a couple days before, today it just wont start....i called autozone and they have the battery for $169 and they said registering the battery is just a bunch of BS...is this true? Wat does registering do? I called my SA he said they mite not be able to register the autozone battery and the battery cost $230-270 plus registering $150? Why? I dunno are they just feeding me a bunch of crock? I dont know who to believe now...help pls thanks
Old 06-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 550i
You can buy a Walmart battery for cheaper too but make sure it's the same type; and yes the Autozone guy is correct, IMO. I replaced mine almost 2 years ago with Sears' battery, never registered it and works fine so far. Search and you will find lots of threads on this topic.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
This was in a letter in Roundel this month. It seems the car's rate of charge is determined by the battery age. So you need to register it in order to take that into account, or the battery life is slightly reduced, apparently.

But yes, it seems legit.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:05 PM

I researched on this issue thoroughly before I made my decision back then. I didn't really care much about the battery life since I can buy 3 batteries at Sears or Kragen for the same amount that costs me for one battery at the dealership. My main concern at the time was if the voltage of an aftermarket battery any different than the OEM and does it have any negative effect on the electronic parts. From what I read from various forums, it seems like all people who used aftermartket one did not have any electrical issue.

OP, it all depends on what you feel comfortable with.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:31 PM

Ok so if i go with the aftermarket battery will that void my warranty i bought it as a cpo so i hav 6yrs 100k mile warranty and the maintenance warranty? Also can sumone tell me why a battery needs to be registered by the dealer? Thanks
Old 06-01-2011, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: 06 550I: 92VW VR6 Corrado
I changed my battery about 8 months ago with a battery from O'Rielly's Auto Parts an I didn't have it registered. No problems so far.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
The dealer dosen' t have to do the registration. An indy with the right equipment can do. Got my battery at Wal-Mart, put it in myself then had my indy register it.

Sent from y ADR6300 using Bimmer App

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 06-01-2011, 08:52 PM
2007 550i & X3, 2002 X5

Mein Auto: BMW 550i, X5, X3
Guys, this battery registration is a bunch of BS. Think about it, they want to take $400+ out of your pocket for a new BMW battery and registration. These are the same guys telling you to buy a $129 BMW battery tender to keep your battery fully charged for short mileage situations. Well, if the charging system is inadequate for short trips, and the battery needs to be trickle-charged to maintain its juice, what makes anyone think registering a new battery to make sure the charging system is aware of the battery age is doing any good if it isn't doing the job anyway! Do yourself a favor, go to AutoZone, buy the Duralast Gold battery that fits your car for $149, skip the registration and do it all over again in a few years and you'll save a bunch of money. Trust me, these batteries are very easy to replace and are squeaky-clean based on where they are mounted! Sheesh, this isn't that complicated and BMW certainly has duped many of this to seem more complicated than it really is to grab our money!

2007 550i, Sport Premium, Silver Gray Metallic, Gray Dakota, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Access, Heated Rear Seats, HD Radio, Xenon

2007 X3, 3.0si ///M Sport Premium, Monaco Blue, Gray Dakota, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Xenon

2002 X5, 3.0i Sport Premium, Titanium Silver, Gray Dakota, Cold Weather Package, Xenon, just a winter vehicle
Old 06-01-2011, 09:16 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
Based on the article in Roundel, a 2007 530 does not require the battery to be registered. In fact, I don't even see any E60's on the required list.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Got my battery at Wal-Mart, put it in myself then had my indy register it.

Sent from y ADR6300 using Bimmer App
What do u mean by My indy??? Thanks
Old 06-02-2011, 07:38 AM

Send a message via ICQ to bryant
Mein Auto: 545i
indy = independent mechanic.

BMW 545i sport (active steering, sport suspension, dynamic drive) moonroof, adaptive headlights, CD changer, cold weather package, Logic 7 sound, Navigation, Park distance control, homelink, voice input system, hard wired V1
Old 06-02-2011, 08:43 AM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
indy = independent mechanic.
But I can only recommend shops that specializing in BMW or european cars, cause they have similar electronic tools to do the job right.

As far as registering batt, it has merit (neccessity is up to individual choice, read on). The AGM batt is less robust but better in retaining charge than regular lead-acid batt, it requires lower current of C/10 where C is capacity of the batt here so typical batt is like 80Amp thus charging current is around 8Amp or less; while lead-acid requires but can handle up to C/4 is most cases or 20Amp.

Combination of fuel efficiency like why charge batt when you don't need it, or only do it when you are crusing on freeway not stop-go traffic etc, and limitation of batt chemsitry to tell the elctronics when it's full, unlike dry cell like NiCd drop it's voltage to tell charger to stop the charger applying current for example, lead to decision to look at the batt charging profile throughout the lifetime of AGM batt, and age is one of the biggest factor. At early age the AGM requires very little charge to stay full but as it ages it needs more cause the self-discharge gets worse.

So let say you have 6-yr old car, the car is never told through registration how old is batt, it has to assume the batt is as old as the car. The charging profile for 6 year old AGM may require C/7 of charge current or less to stay full most of the time and you replace the batt with another AGM batt (the new batt really neds only C/10) then you are overcharging and shorten the life of that new AGM battt. Let say you replace the batt with regular lead-acid which requires maybe C/5 to C/4 charge current then your car will always under-charge it.
The question would be if batt is $200 and you'll get 4 years instad of 6 do you need batt to be registered at an extra $200 or just go ahead buy a new one again next time, it's anybody call.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto: BMW '08 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
But I can only recommend shops that specializing in BMW or european cars, cause they have similar electronic tools to do the job right.

As far as registering batt, it has merit (neccessity is up to individual choice, read on). The AGM batt is less robust but better in retaining charge than regular lead-acid batt, it requires lower current of C/10 where C is capacity of the batt here so typical batt is like 80Amp thus charging current is around 8Amp or less; while lead-acid requires but can handle up to C/4 is most cases or 20Amp.

Combination of fuel efficiency like why charge batt when you don't need it, or only do it when you are crusing on freeway not stop-go traffic etc, and limitation of batt chemsitry to tell the elctronics when it's full, unlike dry cell like NiCd drop it's voltage to tell charger to stop the charger applying current for example, lead to decision to look at the batt charging profile throughout the lifetime of AGM batt, and age is one of the biggest factor. At early age the AGM requires very little charge to stay full but as it ages it needs more cause the self-discharge gets worse.

So let say you have 6-yr old car, the car is never told through registration how old is batt, it has to assume the batt is as old as the car. The charging profile for 6 year old AGM may require C/7 of charge current or less to stay full most of the time and you replace the batt with another AGM batt (the new batt really neds only C/10) then you are overcharging and shorten the life of that new AGM battt. Let say you replace the batt with regular lead-acid which requires maybe C/5 to C/4 charge current then your car will always under-charge it.
The question would be if batt is $200 and you'll get 4 years instad of 6 do you need batt to be registered at an extra $200 or just go ahead buy a new one again next time, it's anybody call.
Good read.

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Old 06-02-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAMMY View Post
Guys, this battery registration is a bunch of BS. Think about it, they want to take $400+ out of your pocket for a new BMW battery and registration. These are the same guys telling you to buy a $129 BMW battery tender to keep your battery fully charged for short mileage situations. Well, if the charging system is inadequate for short trips, and the battery needs to be trickle-charged to maintain its juice, what makes anyone think registering a new battery to make sure the charging system is aware of the battery age is doing any good if it isn't doing the job anyway! Do yourself a favor, go to AutoZone, buy the Duralast Gold battery that fits your car for $149, skip the registration and do it all over again in a few years and you'll save a bunch of money. Trust me, these batteries are very easy to replace and are squeaky-clean based on where they are mounted! Sheesh, this isn't that complicated and BMW certainly has duped many of this to seem more complicated than it really is to grab our money!
how do you install battery ? Anything to be carefull of ?
Old 06-02-2011, 05:07 PM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
It's simple to do you can check here for some help: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...926&highlight=

You must worry about venting the battery correctly apparently, and yes the whole registering the battery thing is (let me be nice by not saying BS) Bullcrap!!
Old 06-02-2011, 09:44 PM
2007 550i & X3, 2002 X5

Mein Auto: BMW 550i, X5, X3
Yes, as Boramkiv says, a very good DIY and it's very important that you pay attention to the fact the battery is vented and you place the vent tube in the proper venting location. I still maintain that battery registration in BS, but our friend Boramkiv puts it much more eloquently than I!

2007 550i, Sport Premium, Silver Gray Metallic, Gray Dakota, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Access, Heated Rear Seats, HD Radio, Xenon

2007 X3, 3.0si ///M Sport Premium, Monaco Blue, Gray Dakota, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Xenon

2002 X5, 3.0i Sport Premium, Titanium Silver, Gray Dakota, Cold Weather Package, Xenon, just a winter vehicle
Old 06-03-2011, 03:15 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
YES, YES, YES!! YOU NEED TO REGISTER THE BATTERY !!

All will work if you dont register ir, but ALL WORKS BETTER after doing it... and, in the long range, you will save money and need less battery replacements.

The whole car is full of electrical systems, more and more each day, and the car has to make sure he will have enough power to comply with whatever might be needed, including breakes, steering, information and so much more. In the latest, it is your own safety you are taking care of.

But, as said before, the owner can do as he wish...
Old 06-03-2011, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: corvette/528xi
I am not so sure that the dealers replace the AGM batts with AGM.
I think that they go cheap with lead acid when they have to pay.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by njlou View Post
I am not so sure that the dealers replace the AGM batts with AGM.
I think that they go cheap with lead acid when they have to pay.
I bought many-many parts at dealer and never once they sold me non-OE parts, they could get into trouble if BMWNA finds out. BTW, dealer go by BMW part number.

I am not saying aftermarket parts is junk, I use alot of them as well in my repair jobs.

Last edited by HPIA4v2; 06-03-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i M-Sport SAT
When a battery change requires a visit to the dealer...something's wrong! Remember the good ol days when you didn't need to be a rocket scientist to diagnose car troubles? These days you need a supercomputer to do the simplest task.

Registration is real, from what I understand, if you fail to register, your battery life "may" be shortened to some degree, but with the cost difference of an OEM battey, plus install and registration, most people rather go to their local auto parts store. There is no definitive answer as to what effect NOT registering actually has, like a comparison. So for me, if a battery will last 5 years with reg and 4 without, I'd rather pay the $150 twice for 8 years of service rather pay over 400 once for 5 years of service.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: 08 550i
Interesting and informative post on that subject. Worthy to be a Sticky?
Old 06-03-2011, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i/2007 328i Coupe
From BMW Technical Service Bulletin SI B 61 13 05:

5. New battery registration

Registration of the new battery is necessary, using the DIS/GT1 service function. If the new battery is not registered, erroneous messages (check control) may appear.
Use the following path the register the new battery: "Function selection>Service functions>Body>Power supply>Battery>Register battery change>Test plan". Follow the test plan instructions.
If a new battery is installed, the "Energy Diagnosis" test plan should be completed prior to
registering the new battery. When the battery is registered, the stored energy history is deleted. This may cause the vehicle to return if the root cause of the dead battery is not determined.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:03 PM

Thanks for all the help guys now im more confused! Lol anyway does anyone know an easy do it yourself battery installation website for the 530i? Thanks!
Old 06-03-2011, 11:17 PM

http://gallery.me.com/ratherbeincabo#100032
Old 06-03-2011, 11:19 PM

http://forums.5series.net/topic/6852...y-replacement/