Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW x5 x35i SA
I agree with Ard...but man, those 20' rims (especially the 214s and 215s) look nice! A sporty performance 'look'...
Old 08-22-2011, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi
Ditch the tpms for your winter set. In my opinion they are almost worthless and not worth the additional 200+ bucks. It would be different if they measured and reported the pressures. Even our Honda did that.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:33 PM

Mein Auto: ///M
While the TPMS is definitely not nearly as useful as it should be I would only recommend not putting them on if you can bear to ignore the TPMS intrusive alerts on the screen. I don't do well with alerts and this TPM System seems to be a little smarter than the past ones so I prefer to have no fault codes up.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Among the Proud

Mein Auto: X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph_c_chan View Post
Thanks for the advice Quackbury. Unfortunately, I don't want to spend extra money on spare 18" for just the winter time. Plus, my garage is small enough already so I don't have the luxury of space. I'd probably choose convenience over looks over this issue but thanks for the advice if I decide to change my mind. You're right in that the 20"s really complete the look of the X5.
Get those 20s, then replace the performance rubber with all-season rubber like the Toyo Proxes ST2 and you're good all year like I and many others have been in the NY snow. It's not bad but bad enough you don't want summer tires. And changing to winter tires and back is an absolute hassle, plus the space issue you mentioned.

-> more pics at Flickr <-
Old 08-23-2011, 12:52 PM
is what life is ..

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 3.5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by sddjd View Post
Just to throw in my two cents - we had a similar dilemma with our 50i. We own a home in the mountains and do a lot of snow driving during winter (35' of snowfall this year, so this isn't slick road driving, it's ploughing!). We built our vehicle with the sport package & 19" all seasons instead of the 20" 336's and obtained a set of those afterwards. For summer I've had the 20"'s installed.

In hindsight I would have done the reverse at time of purchase. I know you're talking a 35 but I believe the configs are similar. The 20"'s are very expensive to add later IF you can find them (versus the "small" 900 up-charge at configuration) but they can't be beat in terms of appearance and handling (this is VERY subjective, but I love the feel versus the 19"'s, it's very apparent). The 19"'s were champs in snow 6-12" deep and even in the steep winding passes we traverse.

I understand the concerns with storing the extra set (same difficulty here), but I have no regrets in hindsight other than not saving the $$$ by building with the 20"'s and then buying the much easier to obtain 19"'s on the side.

IMO either way though it's all icing and a nice "problem" to have!

FYI- the RFT package does not include a jack & wrench. S-saver spare setup does include these items. The jack has a square keyed head that matches up with a location on the underbody, so it's worthwhile to have the OEM version.
What did you put as snow tires? What brand? This will be my first winter and snow is a component I cannot neglect.

Present: 2002 Kawasaki ZX-6
Present: 1998 Suzuki GSX-R 750 (Track)
Retired: 2007 Subaru Outback H6
Old 08-23-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Get those 20s, then replace the performance rubber with all-season rubber like the Toyo Proxes ST2 and you're good all year like I and many others have been in the NY snow. It's not bad but bad enough you don't want summer tires. And changing to winter tires and back is an absolute hassle, plus the space issue you mentioned.
Space is definitely a hassle but changing to winter tires shouldn't be a hassle. No offense but the hassle is getting stuck in our hard winters or getting into an accident because the tires weren't good enough. I say peace of mind beats convenience every day of the week. Our winters can get rough in an instant and having no mobility because a lack of tires on a great truck just seems like a waste.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:49 PM
is what life is ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcusm5 View Post
Space is definitely a hassle but changing to winter tires shouldn't be a hassle. No offense but the hassle is getting stuck in our hard winters or getting into an accident because the tires weren't good enough. I say peace of mind beats convenience every day of the week. Our winters can get rough in an instant and having no mobility because a lack of tires on a great truck just seems like a waste.
I second!

Old 08-23-2011, 10:23 PM
Among the Proud

Mein Auto: X5 3.0si
but VT & Montreal winters are much worse than NY, no? I wouldn't risk it there either.

Survived 3 NY winters here with the all-seasons. Gotta know your limits of course. How often do we drive through more than 4" of unplowed roads? Not very.

-> more pics at Flickr <-

Last edited by rh71; 08-23-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
Get the 20's with summer rubber and buy a set of 19's or 18's (both are 255's) with a nice set of winters. In the long run you will have the best of both worlds and will not cost much more. Great look in summer, great performance in winter. Plus winter rubber is cheaper than summer and all seasons SUCK compared to winter tires for the cold. I have been running winter/summer on all my luxury cars and I never lose out. Think of this.... One minor accident due to crappy all season tires which may have been avoided with winters will greatly offset it. It is not your cautious driving, it your defense and performance when you need it
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500
Old 08-24-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
but VT & Montreal winters are much worse than NY, no? I wouldn't risk it there either.

Survived 3 NY winters here with the all-seasons. Gotta know your limits of course. How often do we drive through more than 4" of unplowed roads? Not very.
I'm in NY most of the winter. Westchester specifically. You are definitely right, most roads are plowed and you probably drove decently on the all-seasons. I'm just saying the winters make a big difference and make virtually any conditions a non-issue. If I'm in a big truck with 4wd or awd that is probably gonna lug family and friends including those who need a ride because they can't use their car I want it to be as safe as possible with purpose-specific tires. If you put em on I'm sure u will know instantly exactly what I mean. You won't need to avoid specific roads or areas anymore, or the incoming possible weather
Old 08-24-2011, 08:27 PM
is what life is ..

Quote:

I do suppose it depends which part of the country you live in. I have no options. Here's what the law says here; " From December 15 to March 15, all taxis and passenger vehicles registered in Québec must be equipped with winter tires. This requirement also applies to rental passenger vehicles in Québec, as well as mopeds, motorized scooters and motorcycles."

Just don't ask about the motorcycle part. I don't have the answer lol

TC

Old 08-26-2011, 06:25 AM
UK (ex-Pat)

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 3.0d M pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettnyc View Post
This is the best way to go. I live in NYC and have the same setup. While the 20's are a much firmer ride it's not too bad and the look is much more aggressive than 19's.
+1
I listened to Quack last year, and ponied up for a set of 18" Snow tyres (non RTF)
totally different car to drive, floats like a boat over everything, never got stuck.
But i couldn't wait for Spring to get my Fat Ass 20" back on.

I have the M pack, (sport suspension & 20") set to the BMW reccomended pressuers
it drives and handles great.

They are very sensitive to over inflation 2 bar is reccomended 2,2 bar will have it wondering everywhere, My rears are still the original set, although now on 40,000 kms
30,000 if I deduct the 10 I did on winters, I'm hoping they last until the end of October.

I have non RFT 20" on the front, but to be honest I can't notice the difference.
Next time I will go back to RFTs (50 euros extra) per tyre. I keep a spare in the trunk for peace of mind.

2010 X5 30d M Sport pack on 20 inch
In Space Grey, Panoramic roof, auto tailgate,
Privacy Glass, Comfort seats in Black?
Rear view camera