Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - current)

X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - current)
The newest sport activity vehicle from BMW is a crossover-coupe style and is expected to appear sometime in 2008!

Old 06-14-2011, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: X6
Question X6 -- replacing run-flats with regular tires

The reason for changing the type of tires is to try to fix a steering/handling issue that BMW failed to fix (a lawyer will fix this). Many other BMW drivers said changing from run-flat to regular fixed this and other similar issues.

(1) Is it possible to change the run-flat tires to regular tires on a 2009 X6 350?

(2) Is it possible to change the 20" tires to 19" tires on the Y wheels? A senior BMW techie suggested this as a solution to a chronic steering problem I'm having. But I also received 5 different answers from 5 BMW employees at 3 dealerships!!!! Oh BTW, I was charged $1,500 extra for the "luxury" of enjoying the rough ride of these Flintstone wheels/tires!!

(3) I have the tire pressure monitoring option. Is it true some metrics on the onboard computer will require readjustment if I change from run-flat to regular tires? If yes, is it true that only BMW dealerships are able to do the computer adjustment? I don't want to use BMW shops because of the bad treatment I received over the past 2 years. Also, non-BMW shops are quoting 50% less for either run-flat or regular.

(4) Per the ACTUAL behavior of BMW FS at the end of the lease, is changing the type of tires permitted? What if I put back the run-flat tires at the end of the lease? Yes, I know I could read the agreement but I'm asking about the ACTUAL behavior vs. the convoluted wording of the lease. And yes I know I could call BMW FS ..... there's a story but I don't want to bore you with a long saga - another post for sure.

Advertisement
Old 06-14-2011, 02:56 PM
Registered Poser

Mein Auto: 2011 335i 2008 X5
(1) Yes
(2) Not without changing the wheels. 20" wheels accept only 20" tires, etc. I believe there is a 19" Y wheel but not the 214's.
(3) Don't think so.
(4) Don't know, but many people do put on snow tires for the winter. There might be a provision for this.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:26 AM

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

I'll go with 20" regular tires then. I'm skeptical this will fix the steering issue but the ride should be better (based on what other BMW drivers said online).
Old 06-15-2011, 07:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW '08 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by X6Lemon View Post
The reason for changing the type of tires is to try to fix a steering/handling issue that BMW failed to fix (a lawyer will fix this). Many other BMW drivers said changing from run-flat to regular fixed this and other similar issues.

(1) Is it possible to change the run-flat tires to regular tires on a 2009 X6 350?

(2) Is it possible to change the 20" tires to 19" tires on the Y wheels? A senior BMW techie suggested this as a solution to a chronic steering problem I'm having. But I also received 5 different answers from 5 BMW employees at 3 dealerships!!!! Oh BTW, I was charged $1,500 extra for the "luxury" of enjoying the rough ride of these Flintstone wheels/tires!!

(3) I have the tire pressure monitoring option. Is it true some metrics on the onboard computer will require readjustment if I change from run-flat to regular tires? If yes, is it true that only BMW dealerships are able to do the computer adjustment? I don't want to use BMW shops because of the bad treatment I received over the past 2 years. Also, non-BMW shops are quoting 50% less for either run-flat or regular.

(4) Per the ACTUAL behavior of BMW FS at the end of the lease, is changing the type of tires permitted? What if I put back the run-flat tires at the end of the lease? Yes, I know I could read the agreement but I'm asking about the ACTUAL behavior vs. the convoluted wording of the lease. And yes I know I could call BMW FS ..... there's a story but I don't want to bore you with a long saga - another post for sure.

3. The TPMS monitors Air pressure and doesn't care what rubber is wrapped around a wheel.

4. A BMW leased with run-flats must be returned with run-flats.

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316

Last edited by djfitter; 06-15-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:15 AM

Thanks djfitter.

I trust your answer. Two BMW techies told me that because I have the TPMS option then some software parameters must be reconfigured on the onborad computer if I were to change from run-flats to regular. Both said only BMW shops can make these adjustments!!! I suspected they only wanted me to buy the tires from them.

Re the lease & run-flats: again I trust your answer. I'll keep the old run-flats in my garage until that glorious day comes when I return this piece of ....... to BMW FS.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:32 AM
Registered Poser

Mein Auto: 2011 335i 2008 X5
This may be a dumb question, but have you made sure the wheels and tires are properly balanced? Run flats/214's are HEAVY. I'm not sure what steering issues you are having but it's worth asking.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:16 PM

Carnivora,

Not dumb at all, actually it's a good guess according to the mechanical expert my lawyer is hiring.
Yes, many many BMW techies & one regional engineer checked the balance of the wheels & tires many times. The steering improved just a little every time they rebalanced the wheels, but then it'd quickly slip back into its usual erratic behavior. The steering becomes noticeably erratic when the tire pressure slips off, something that happens often (the BMW regional engineer said it was "normal" for tire pressure to slip off and that I was supposed to check it every month - sounded like a copout to me). During the first month, a BMW service manager told me they found a faulty part at the bottom of the steering column. He described the faulty part as a balloon and told me that BMW of North America refused to replace it or to have a regional engineer come look at the car!!!! Arrogance or bad service? Maybe both. BMW NA told me that there was no such part in the car!!!! I'm still waiting for an answer as to why then did they keep my car for a full week in the shop!!!! Man, the stories I heard from various BMW sources will fill out a book.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW '08 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by X6Lemon View Post
Carnivora,

Not dumb at all, actually it's a good guess according to the mechanical expert my lawyer is hiring.
Yes, many many BMW techies & one regional engineer checked the balance of the wheels & tires many times. The steering improved just a little every time they rebalanced the wheels, but then it'd quickly slip back into its usual erratic behavior. The steering becomes noticeably erratic when the tire pressure slips off, something that happens often (the BMW regional engineer said it was "normal" for tire pressure to slip off and that I was supposed to check it every month - sounded like a copout to me). During the first month, a BMW service manager told me they found a faulty part at the bottom of the steering column. He described the faulty part as a balloon and told me that BMW of North America refused to replace it or to have a regional engineer come look at the car!!!! Arrogance or bad service? Maybe both. BMW NA told me that there was no such part in the car!!!! I'm still waiting for an answer as to why then did they keep my car for a full week in the shop!!!! Man, the stories I heard from various BMW sources will fill out a book.
That part is true (checking it monthly, I check weekly) and the pressure will change with the weather even if you haven't lost any air. If it gets colder they go down, conversely if the temps get hotter the pressure goes up.

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316