Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - current)

X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - current)
The newest sport activity vehicle from BMW is a crossover-coupe style and is expected to appear sometime in 2008!

Old 01-11-2011, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: x6
Active steering question

I asked this question in general forums but I wanted to know what X6 users actually think.

I find the X6 body really wide and its hard to see on the sides and in front of you or even out the rear. I find the cameras a necessity. When I pull into my garage I have to go ever so slightly as the X6 barely fits in. The slightest move in the wrong direction will cause an impact.

From what I have read the active steering is basically a super power steering device when in low speeds or parking situations. In my case wouldnt the Active steering be a bad thing ? If its so sensitive then i would think that the tiniest of mistakes would cause an accident....in fact wouldnt that happen in most tight spots?
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2011, 08:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3; 2011 550i
I have active steering on my new 550i, so my comments may or may not be fully applicable. I have noticed the following: reduced turning radius at lower speeds; reduced need to excessively move the steering wheel in the parking lot; a sense of increased control at all speeds. I have not noticed the following: a sense of twitchyness at low speeds; increased concern about small steering wheel movements creating control problems. In my car, the steering feels very natural at all speeds but also predictable. Most of the time I am able to make turns without cranking the steering wheel but the steering is not hair trigger in nature. I believe this is a third generation system for BMW. They seem to have gotten the balance just right as far as I am concerned...
Old 01-11-2011, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3; 2011 550i
PS, I forgot to mention that the system is technologically very sophisticated. You have a form of four wheel steering. If memory serves me correctly, at low speeds the rear wheels turn a few degrees opposite of the front wheels thereby reducing the turning radius. At high speeds, the rear wheels turn in the same direction supposedly increasing stability. I do not think that you have made a mistake...But I would welcome hearing from others.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:50 AM

I believe the four wheel steering is Integral active steering rather than simply active steering.

Your probably right however , I'm just trying to escape the pain that I didn't get it. I am desperately looking for a reason lol. I figured that since it's basically "super power steering" in extremely tight spaces it would actually be a detriment if you made a mistake. As opposed to regular steering where if you make a mistake the response time is not as quick and can still be saved. I was just using logic.....but I'm sure I'm wrong.

Let me ask you this question.....is active steering really that big of a deal. Did I moss out big time ? ( be gentle....lol )
Old 01-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3 Melbourne Red
I have Active Steering, but I'm not sure I would get it again.

I've heard some claim that it reduces the amount of effort necessary to turn the wheel, but after driving two other X6s mine doesn't feel any different in steering effort. I think the only change is the amount of input necessary between low and high speeds.

Most of the time I don't even notice its working. The times I do notice are when I go to turn into a sharp turn at low speeds and realize I'm cutting too hard. Mine is an '09 and I know this is an area that BMW is working at improving. Active Steering will probably be a standard feature in five years along with HUD.

I know nothing of the algorithm that BMW is using, but to my experience it isn't linear. It seems to me to provide the most compensation at parking lot speeds rather than parking space speeds. It is as if there is less lock necessary at 5 mph than at 2 mph. I may be imagining this. Despite the constant need to negotiate a very tight garage parking space, I don't find the active steering to be of any consequence in my success.

I don't think the rear wheels are involved in assisting. I would love that they were. The X6 turning radius is more like a Greyhound Bus than my former E46.

2013 M3 DCT
Past: 2002 330Ci Topaz (loved that car), 2009 X6 50i

Last edited by pod13; 01-11-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:19 PM

Except in ,many instances a valet would be parking your car.wouldn't that be dangerous as he would. Need time to learn how to use AS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx View Post
So wife is driving yesterday; stopped for signal in left turn lane, when light turns green she turns too sharply and we bounce over curb on left side of the car I freak; she gets pissed at me, etc. When we stop I find gouges in front and rear rims where they have impacted the curb. Remarkably the tyres seem to be ok, although it felt horrible. She tells me these cars are tough, I feel lucky that only damage is to the rims unless there is something hidden that I can't see. After appropriate cooling off period I remind her that Active Steering is very sensitive at low speeds. Because I want to stay married I suck it up and try to understand that **** happens and that it is only metal; but it sure hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA525iT View Post
Ouch, sorry dude. I wonder how many valet parkers are doing the same thing to cars with AS?

Last edited by a little off; 01-12-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:05 PM

Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3 Melbourne Red
Its not that so severe a difference that you would notice it without someone pointing it out. My guess is pdx's rims were curb rash waiting to happen with his wife driving Active Steering or not.

2013 M3 DCT
Past: 2002 330Ci Topaz (loved that car), 2009 X6 50i
Old 01-15-2011, 01:37 AM

MSN REVIEW

On the Road
The auto manufacturers hold the BMW 3-Series in esteem for its ride and handling prowess for good reason, and the 335i coupe is a special example of the breed. It changes direction like a smaller, lighter car. Grip in turns is tenacious, and the suspension provides a lot of feedback when it is approaching the edge of adhesion. The steering is quick with a lot of road feel, and the brakes are easy to modulate and inspire confidence. The only two complaints involve the steering. Without BMW's Active Steering system, low-speed steering can feel weighty. With Active Steering, which quickens steering response at low speeds, some complain that steering ratio changes can kick in unexpectedly.

Damned if I do and damned of I don't.....might as well save the money.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X6 3.5
I have an e70 that I'm thinking of trading in for an x6. I used to have an e53 and the e70 steering isn't nearly as stiff as the e53 (I liked the e53 better). However, I've keep getting rotator cuff injuries in my right shoulder that really hurt when maneuvering around parking lots. I was hoping that active steering would alleviate this. Am I mistaken?

Btw, the injuries aren't caused by the car, just exacerbated by it. Big time.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 650xi GC/2011 1M
I've been looking for a X5/X6 to replace my M5 (lease up in July) for the last couple of months. Here are the facts (for the X5/X6 at least)

The steering level is brutal in these cars WITHOUT active steering (much MUCH harder than my M5)
The steering level is MUCH lighter WITH active steering (this was not the case with my 2006 550, but is the case with the X).

I encouraged the dealer to keep a X5/X6 around with Active Steering just so clients could see the difference. He said "They will never pay for it". I totally disagree. Of course being a priority one option, means you just about have to order it if you want it.

I did notice what seemed to be a little on-center wander in the cars with Active Steering. Only noticed it for the first couple of miles and then got used to it I guess.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X6 3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
I've been looking for a X5/X6 to replace my M5 (lease up in July) for the last couple of months. Here are the facts (for the X5/X6 at least)

The steering level is brutal in these cars WITHOUT active steering (much MUCH harder than my M5)
The steering level is MUCH lighter WITH active steering (this was not the case with my 2006 550, but is the case with the X).

I encouraged the dealer to keep a X5/X6 around with Active Steering just so clients could see the difference. He said "They will never pay for it". I totally disagree. Of course being a priority one option, means you just about have to order it if you want it.

I did notice what seemed to be a little on-center wander in the cars with Active Steering. Only noticed it for the first couple of miles and then got used to it I guess.
Oh Doug, since you may be here and paying attention, perhaps you can answer a couple of Qs. My dealer didn't have any car of any type on the lot with active steering, so I had nothing to try out. I'm considering getting active steering on an X6.

I've been driving X5s for 8ys, so I'm pretty used to the steering. I'm worried about putting an option on my car that will make me hate the car, but I would also appreciate something that would help me steer those ginormous tires around parking lots, etc. And BTW, E70 steering is lighter than the E53; go figure.

On my E70 and my previous E53, after making a turn and starting to straighten out, I'll release the wheel (my hand is still around it) and it will return to center by itself. (I guess the wheels 'want to go straight'?) Does that still work with active steering?

I've heard reports of people saying that active steering makes the Xs seem 'numb' and that there is a lot of play at high speed. Do you get that feeling? I think that play in the wheel at high speeds is something that would make me unhappy.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-26-2011, 07:03 AM
Registered Poser

Mein Auto: 2011 335i 2008 X5
Just had to drive a loaner the other day. I felt like I was wrestling the steering wheel in every parking lot I was in. I have 3 Beemers now with the active steering and have never looked back. Wait, that's not true, everytime I get a loaner I look back and it suuuucks! Love love love the Active Steering.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 650xi GC/2011 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbja View Post
Oh Doug, since you may be here and paying attention, perhaps you can answer a couple of Qs. My dealer didn't have any car of any type on the lot with active steering, so I had nothing to try out. I'm considering getting active steering on an X6.

I've been driving X5s for 8ys, so I'm pretty used to the steering. I'm worried about putting an option on my car that will make me hate the car, but I would also appreciate something that would help me steer those ginormous tires around parking lots, etc. And BTW, E70 steering is lighter than the E53; go figure.

On my E70 and my previous E53, after making a turn and starting to straighten out, I'll release the wheel (my hand is still around it) and it will return to center by itself. (I guess the wheels 'want to go straight'?) Does that still work with active steering?

I've heard reports of people saying that active steering makes the Xs seem 'numb' and that there is a lot of play at high speed. Do you get that feeling? I think that play in the wheel at high speeds is something that would make me unhappy.

Thanks in advance!
Well, I'm only a couple of months late in reply but...

First off, since my original post, I have driven a X6 WITHOUT AS and it actually was not bad. It was at a non-BMW dealer and the salesperson commented how normally she hates driving the X5s due to the heavy steering but this X6 was no where near as brutal to drive (I never did have my BMW dealer run the VIN to confirm it did not have AS - but it was a nice steer).

That said, yes, AS works just like regular steering and returns to center. I honestly can't imagine ordering this option and regretting it. I will say, I did notice play in the steering at about 40 on the AS X6 I drove. I'm pretty sure that is something you might be used to only because I noticed it in the beginning of my test drive, but not in the end. Alas, it might be because I'm coming from the M5. I suppose I should drive the cars one more time - with and without AS before I order.