Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-11-2013, 06:50 PM
samkumar samkumar is offline
Registered User
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 45
Mein Auto: 2005 911 S Cab 2011 535ix
Wheel & Tire Insurance

Hi Guys ! I know this topic has been covered ad nauseum but I couldn't find any current pricing info. I just bought a 2011 535i X drive last month and it's already got2 bubble son the god awful GY RF's. The dealer is offering 5 yrs of W&T Insurance for $1600 thru Allstate. I wanted to know if this is a good deal and what your experiences were. Appreciate any help or info on the matter.

Regards,
Sam
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 03-11-2013, 07:58 PM
hufington's Avatar
hufington hufington is online now
OZG F10
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 546
Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by samkumar View Post
Hi Guys ! I know this topic has been covered ad nauseum but I couldn't find any current pricing info. I just bought a 2011 535i X drive last month and it's already got2 bubble son the god awful GY RF's. The dealer is offering 5 yrs of W&T Insurance for $1600 thru Allstate. I wanted to know if this is a good deal and what your experiences were. Appreciate any help or info on the matter.

Regards,
Sam
There are other third paty insurers for cheaper.
__________________

13 BMW F10 535i RWD - 3.0 L 221 kW (300 hp) Bone stock except NAVI,PDC,Cam,Tint,Coded,HID Fogs,Debadged,Spoiler,BMS Stg1
07 BMW E64 630i - 3.0 L 200 kW (272 hp)
03 BMW E65 745i - 4.4 L V8, 242 kW (325 hp)
98 BMW E39 535i - 3.5 L 183 kW (245 hp)
95 BMW E34 540i - 4.0 L V8 210 kW (282 hp)
89 BMW E30 M3 non-cat 147 kW (200 hp)


15 MB W222 S550 4-Matic on order
10 Infiniti G37x Sedan
09 Mercedes C 350
08 Infiniti G35x Sedan
04 Mercedes CLK 350
01 Mercedes C 230
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-12-2013, 05:24 AM
dunccfp dunccfp is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Long Island, NY
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 416
Mein Auto: F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by samkumar View Post
Hi Guys ! I know this topic has been covered ad nauseum but I couldn't find any current pricing info. I just bought a 2011 535i X drive last month and it's already got2 bubble son the god awful GY RF's. The dealer is offering 5 yrs of W&T Insurance for $1600 thru Allstate. I wanted to know if this is a good deal and what your experiences were. Appreciate any help or info on the matter.

Regards,
Sam
Make sure you can select your own tires, can use non rft, and you can go to any tire shop.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-12-2013, 05:58 AM
The X Men The X Men is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,054
Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
If you are going to use aftermarket, why go thru the dealer and have them take a cut of the profit? If you bought your tires from a tire shop, they will offer you tire insurance for about $50 a tire.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-12-2013, 06:00 AM
radarguy radarguy is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Connecticut
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 658
Mein Auto: 2011 535ix sport
Read the policy carefully. My BMW dealer offered me a policy on my new car at half the cost of the BMW insurance. The fine print said the maximum payout over the policy lifetime was $2,000.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-12-2013, 07:42 AM
Joe-BMW's Avatar
Joe-BMW Joe-BMW is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Boston
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,612
Mein Auto: F10, E39, Audi Q7
Personally, if I owned and not leased I would just take the tires off and put non run flats on (and figure out a spare solution). the only reason I bought the insurance was because I must turn the car in off lease with GY RFT's and they are not cheap. I also thought I would bend a rim or two but that has not been the case. Been through 5 tires in the last two months. I would take the $1600 and get some good normal rubber on the car.
__________________
2012 535xi|Dark Graphite|Black Interior|M-Sport|

Prior BMW's: 1987 325e|1993 740i|1998 740il|2002 745li|2007 750li|2006 750li
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-12-2013, 08:38 AM
jjsC6 jjsC6 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,361
Mein Auto: See Sig
Between this and the throttle tip in issues, is anyone else going to switch to another brand other than BMW? I have been on many car forums the past few years. I have not seen a single thread on tires bubbling and rims being bent. I'm 60 years old and am on vehicle number 58 and until I got my BMW last year I had never even heard of tire/rim insurance offered by the dealers. Something is badly wrong here and BMW needs to own up to their problem. BTW, yes - I have a tire on my BMW with a minor bubble in it. Not only have I owned a lot of vehicles and been driving for 44 years, but I drive above average number of miles as well, and always have. This is the first tire I have ever had bubble. I have read road tests that comment on the F10 suspension "crashing" over pot holes more than other cars, and one long term test that pointed out how weak BMW wheels are.

Something is not right here. I love the way the car drives down the road, but we are putting up with a lot of sh*t to own these cars.

Sorry for the rant.
__________________
2012 BMW 550 M-Sport
2014 Lexus GS350---Wife's car
2013 BMW 1600 GT---2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000---2012 Ducati Panigale
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-12-2013, 10:56 AM
MoldCAD's Avatar
MoldCAD MoldCAD is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Poland
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 855
Send a message via Skype™ to MoldCAD
Mein Auto: 528i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
Between this and the throttle tip in issues, is anyone else going to switch to another brand other than BMW? I have been on many car forums the past few years. I have not seen a single thread on tires bubbling and rims being bent. I'm 60 years old and am on vehicle number 58 and until I got my BMW last year I had never even heard of tire/rim insurance offered by the dealers. Something is badly wrong here and BMW needs to own up to their problem. BTW, yes - I have a tire on my BMW with a minor bubble in it. Not only have I owned a lot of vehicles and been driving for 44 years, but I drive above average number of miles as well, and always have. This is the first tire I have ever had bubble. I have read road tests that comment on the F10 suspension "crashing" over pot holes more than other cars, and one long term test that pointed out how weak BMW wheels are.

Something is not right here. I love the way the car drives down the road, but we are putting up with a lot of sh*t to own these cars.

Sorry for the rant.
+1

Just see here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=680774
and here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=681703

- and all that on modest 18" wheels, and active dampers in Comfort+ mode !!!!
__________________
previous: 2003 E46 330i SMG
current: 2013 F10 528i xDrive


Last edited by MoldCAD; 03-12-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-12-2013, 11:19 AM
Joe-BMW's Avatar
Joe-BMW Joe-BMW is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Boston
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,612
Mein Auto: F10, E39, Audi Q7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post

Something is not right here. I love the way the car drives down the road, but we are putting up with a lot of sh*t to own these cars.

Sorry for the rant.
This is my 7th BMW and I can't tell you how many times I have felt how you feel, but at the end of the day, I keep coming back. BMW does a lot right, enough to make me not switch brands. They drive like no other car. I so badly wanted to switch to Audi after having a headache of a car in my last E66. It's just not the same. I probably would pick the A8 over the current 7, but that's about it. The A6 doesn't even compare to the F10 and same for the E-class. So what's left? Japanese soft floater cars (boring), Jag (ugly and they used to be owned by Ford!). Can't think of anything else. Guess I have just learned that there will always be something that BMW won't get right. Hell, look at the challenge they had with cup-holders! Same for iPod integration. They didn't get this right until recent and it still isn't very good compared to Audi, etc.

Obviously defective or susceptible tires are more serious. The one thing I learned VERY early on - NEVER drive a BMW out of warranty! I bought the wheel and tire insurance more for the possibility of bent rims. I am OCD when it comes to rims and even a slight bend will drive me nuts. I used to buy new wheels for my E66's every two years. So this was my intent on usage. Had no clue about the tire bubble issue. I just thought RF's ride hard (and they do), not that having a steel sidewall would cause the lack of malleability to cause stress/bubble. I think it's more about RFT's than Goodyear.
__________________
2012 535xi|Dark Graphite|Black Interior|M-Sport|

Prior BMW's: 1987 325e|1993 740i|1998 740il|2002 745li|2007 750li|2006 750li
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-12-2013, 11:32 AM
The X Men The X Men is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,054
Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
I'm 60 years old and am on vehicle number 58 and until I got my BMW last year I had never even heard of tire/rim insurance offered by the dealers. Something is badly wrong here and BMW needs to own up to their problem.
Tire insurance offer by dealers is pretty common when buying new cars, even for non-BMW dealers. I have had Audi, Subaru, Lexus and Toyota dealers offer me tire insurance the last 10 years or so.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-12-2013, 01:17 PM
jjsC6 jjsC6 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,361
Mein Auto: See Sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Tire insurance offer by dealers is pretty common when buying new cars, even for non-BMW dealers. I have had Audi, Subaru, Lexus and Toyota dealers offer me tire insurance the last 10 years or so.
I guess I've been fortunate that I typically deal with dealers I know pretty well. Like I said - 58 vehicles and I have never heard of it before.
__________________
2012 BMW 550 M-Sport
2014 Lexus GS350---Wife's car
2013 BMW 1600 GT---2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000---2012 Ducati Panigale
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-12-2013, 03:18 PM
The X Men The X Men is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,054
Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
I guess I've been fortunate that I typically deal with dealers I know pretty well. Like I said - 58 vehicles and I have never heard of it before.
The difference is the price, my Audi dealer wanted $300 for the tire insurance and the BMW wanted $1500

I agree with you, the tire problem is starting to put a blemish on BMW's reputation. I had runflat tires on my Lexus GS350 in the pass and never had any bubbling problem. It seems like 19" Good Year runflats are the problem here. I think its time for BMW to end their relationship with Good Year.

Last edited by The X Men; 03-12-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-12-2013, 04:45 PM
DJHomie's Avatar
DJHomie DJHomie is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Long Island, NY
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 230
Mein Auto: 2013 535Xi M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW View Post
Personally, if I owned and not leased I would just take the tires off and put non run flats on (and figure out a spare solution). the only reason I bought the insurance was because I must turn the car in off lease with GY RFT's and they are not cheap. I also thought I would bend a rim or two but that has not been the case. Been through 5 tires in the last two months. I would take the $1600 and get some good normal rubber on the car.
So why not just take off the RFT's and slap on a pair of Michelin or Conti's. Then at the end of the lease put the RFT's back on. You can get the Michelins for $1,160 or the Conti's for $900.
__________________
2013 535xi M-Sport, Jet Black, Anthracite Wood, Black Dakota, Premium, Tech, Driver's Asst, Cold Weather Pkgs, Premium Hi-Fi and Multi Contour Seats.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-12-2013, 08:08 PM
alewifebp's Avatar
alewifebp alewifebp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northern NJ
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 823
Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHomie View Post
So why not just take off the RFT's and slap on a pair of Michelin or Conti's. Then at the end of the lease put the RFT's back on. You can get the Michelins for $1,160 or the Conti's for $900.
Not a guarantee of anything. I put on conventional Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Pluses. With those, I've had two tires with bubbles after hitting a pothole. I purchased the insurance on the tires, so the cost is minimal to repurchase the tire insurance for the tire and mount it.

Heavy car + low profile tires + poor road conditions = headache.
__________________
PCD on 9/6/2011: 2011 550i, DSB, black/oyster. Prem 2, Conv, Ventilated, HUD, Sport, DHP, SAT
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-12-2013, 08:45 PM
bfv bfv is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Underground
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 697
Mein Auto: Rickshaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by samkumar View Post
Hi Guys ! I know this topic has been covered ad nauseum but I couldn't find any current pricing info. I just bought a 2011 535i X drive last month and it's already got2 bubble son the god awful GY RF's. The dealer is offering 5 yrs of W&T Insurance for $1600 thru Allstate. I wanted to know if this is a good deal and what your experiences were. Appreciate any help or info on the matter.

Regards,
Sam
Rip off.. Period.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-12-2013, 09:41 PM
ChrisF01's Avatar
ChrisF01 ChrisF01 is offline
Gib mir Feurschutz!
Location: SoCal (West LA & IE)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,005
Mein Auto: 2013 750i
I went to America's Tire and paid 211.50 for a warranty certificate for all 4 OEM tires, I've bought wheels and tires through them on my old '12 740 so dealing with them again is a breeze, no hassles.

I warrantied them now at 280 miles, and should I get a nail and it cannot be fixed they'll replace it for free. But as I understand it, you'd have to get another warranty for that tire, but even if its ~$50.xx again, its still cheaper than buying a tire at MSRP. Americas Tire lists the fronts at $443/ea and rears at $437/ea, so its quite a bit cheaper.

BMW comes with Wheel warranty, I didnt ask but I doubt America's tire will also warranty the wheels.

Its the right plan, and the right cost for me out here in CA. Our roads aren't bad by any means, I'm more hedging my bets against nails/debris and bubbling, not so much potholes like back east.

Good Luck!
Chris
__________________

2013 BMW 750i - Coded, Executive, Lighting, Cold Weather, M Sport, M 303 Wheels, 5% Tint, Conti DWS Tires, 3M Bra, Vinyl Black Gloss Roof Wrap, Exhaust Flap Mod.

Last edited by ChrisF01; 03-12-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-13-2013, 05:15 AM
chuck92116's Avatar
chuck92116 chuck92116 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 867
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by alewifebp View Post
Not a guarantee of anything. I put on conventional Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Pluses. With those, I've had two tires with bubbles after hitting a pothole. I purchased the insurance on the tires, so the cost is minimal to repurchase the tire insurance for the tire and mount it.

Heavy car + low profile tires + poor road conditions = headache.
Heavy car + low profile run flat tires + poor road conditions = bigger headache.
__________________
2011 535i
2013 VW Golf TDI
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-14-2013, 07:50 AM
jbueno jbueno is offline
Registered User
Location: Washington DC
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 550xi M Sport
I debated getting the insurance and am glad I did. After 5 months, one of my tires actually burst. Had it been a regular tire, I probably would have lost control of the car. Thanks to the run flat, I was able to control the car and drove it directly to the dealer. They offered me a 3rd party policy for like $800, and a BMW policy for about $1200. I negotiated the BMW policy down to $1100. The BMW policy had a $50 deductible while the other had no deductible. The big question in my mind was whether the underwriter would be around 5 years from now. I would have paid about $480 to replace the tire, so one more tire change and I'm about even. My friend has a 335i, has had 3 bubbles, and curses himself for not getting the insurance every day. I had low profile tires on my Audi A6 and if you live in the city, RFT or no RFT you will get bubbles no matter what.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-14-2013, 07:58 AM
MoldCAD's Avatar
MoldCAD MoldCAD is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Poland
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 855
Send a message via Skype™ to MoldCAD
Mein Auto: 528i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92116 View Post
Heavy car + low profile run flat tires + poor road conditions = bigger headache.
Maybe. But I covered almost 200,000 km during almost 10 years in my E46 330i on non-RFT 245/45R17 tires (very aggressive driving), and had zero tire or wheel problems. Nada. Niente. Ani raz.

During my 2 months in the 528xi and 5,000 km, I ruined 2 RFT wheels... And not some fancy 20" ones, but the modest 18"s.
__________________
previous: 2003 E46 330i SMG
current: 2013 F10 528i xDrive


Last edited by MoldCAD; 03-14-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms