Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #226  
Old 08-16-2011, 05:30 PM
radarguy radarguy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Connecticut
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 715
Mein Auto: 2011 535ix sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
I just got the new software loaded today. Wow, what a difference. I really had no idea that the throttle was that bad. I guess I had conditioned myself to drive the car in a certain way especially from take off. The car is so smooth and responsive now. The times I felt there was a problem was say making a right turn when the light is about to turn yellow, you slow down almost to a stop, then give it some gas and turn, nothing, then lurch. This is now totally gone. I jusst tried it in Sport/Normal and Comfort and it's so much better. I had no idea what I was missing. So happy! Hopefully they figure this out for the 528i.
Good to hear. Guess I'm going to have to try it. How long did it take?
Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old 08-16-2011, 05:37 PM
Sonnie Sonnie is offline
Registered User
Location: Lower Bama
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 82
Mein Auto: Shopping
Glad you got it fixed... please let us know if your gas mileage changes either way.
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 08-16-2011, 05:37 PM
caribz caribz is offline
Registered User
Location: Puerto Rico
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 50
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I took my car in today. The SA said it was a one day service. I called later in the afternoon and they said it will take a bit longer. I wonder what "a bit" is going to be.
Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 08-16-2011, 05:42 PM
TJPark01's Avatar
TJPark01 TJPark01 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hollywood, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,161
Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by radarguy View Post
Good to hear. Guess I'm going to have to try it. How long did it take?
Not sure of the total download time, but they had to keep it overnight. The car drives in such a different way now, it's great. As someone mentioned earlier it's hard to drive this car smoothly from a dead stop. you have to "feather the throttle and creep away like a cat burglar". Which is what I have conditioned myself to do. I let my dad borrow the car last week and he said he had a hard time controlling the car in city traffic, said the freeway was fine.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 08-16-2011, 06:26 PM
tdepetra tdepetra is offline
Qualityhound
Location: Midwest
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 495
Mein Auto: 2011 535Xi
Mine is getting the latest software now. The first attempt failed, so they are keeping it overnight again. Although my tip-in issue was not awful, I asked them to do it with the 17k oil change, and they agreed the car needed it. One morning the CBS data showed I needed an oil change in 1,700 miles. That night it said I was overdue @ 39,000 miles! Also my front brake pads show 35,000 miles remaining (reasonable) but my rear pads need to be replaced in 5,000 miles. What!! All that corrupted data should clear up with the update according to my SA.

Side note: the 535i loaner i am driving has had the update and it is entirely different than my car has ever been. Wow! I read TJ's post after his update and thought exactly the same thing -- power is instant and virtually linear from any speed.

So we'll see what it's like tomorrow. I'm anticipating the instrument panel to be blank when I start the car, requiring me to push the turn signal stalk to toggle the clock and outside temp display on every time I start the car. That's what the loaner does. I will not be happy at all if that happens.
Reply With Quote
  #231  
Old 08-16-2011, 06:30 PM
knecht knecht is offline
Registered User
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 36
Mein Auto: 2011 535i Xdrive
For those that just had the new software loaded or are getting the software loaded, would it be possible for you to find out what software level they are installing? I think it would be very helpful to everyone. Thanks.
__________________
2011 535xi, Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Dakota Leather, Dark Wood, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, iPod-USB, Sat Radio
Reply With Quote
  #232  
Old 08-16-2011, 06:39 PM
tdepetra tdepetra is offline
Qualityhound
Location: Midwest
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 495
Mein Auto: 2011 535Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by knecht View Post
For those that just had the new software loaded or are getting the software loaded, would it be possible for you to find out what software level they are installing? I think it would be very helpful to everyone. Thanks.
Agreed. I'll post the data off my work order tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #233  
Old 08-16-2011, 08:13 PM
UNCtarheels UNCtarheels is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NC
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 137
Mein Auto: 2011 535i ** 2002 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
I just got the new software loaded today. Wow, what a difference. I really had no idea that the throttle was that bad. I guess I had conditioned myself to drive the car in a certain way especially from take off. The car is so smooth and responsive now. The times I felt there was a problem was say making a right turn when the light is about to turn yellow, you slow down almost to a stop, then give it some gas and turn, nothing, then lurch. This is now totally gone. I jusst tried it in Sport/Normal and Comfort and it's so much better. I had no idea what I was missing. So happy! Hopefully they figure this out for the 528i.
This is awesome news!! i am so glad that you posted this, i was starting to think ppl thought i was crazy as i have the same experience as you now, it is a like a totally different car!!

the magic question is this, what SW did they load? does your paperwork show anything? unfortunately, i have to take my 3-4 month old car into the shop tomorrow, someone backed into my car in a parking lot and was so thoughtful not to stop, leave a note or anything and i am left with damage on rear bumper....yea not very happy
__________________


2011 535i*Jet Black*Oyster/Black Interior*P1*P2*Convenience Package*Split Fold Rear Seats*Anthracite Wood*

2002 325ci*Silver Metallic*Grey Interior*5 speed* Burlwood*Premium*Ski pass through

2006 X3 *retired*

1979 Chevy Corvette*White*Red Interior* 30,000 original miles
Reply With Quote
  #234  
Old 08-16-2011, 08:17 PM
UNCtarheels UNCtarheels is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NC
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 137
Mein Auto: 2011 535i ** 2002 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdepetra View Post
Mine is getting the latest software now. The first attempt failed, so they are keeping it overnight again. Although my tip-in issue was not awful, I asked them to do it with the 17k oil change, and they agreed the car needed it. One morning the CBS data showed I needed an oil change in 1,700 miles. That night it said I was overdue @ 39,000 miles! Also my front brake pads show 35,000 miles remaining (reasonable) but my rear pads need to be replaced in 5,000 miles. What!! All that corrupted data should clear up with the update according to my SA.

Side note: the 535i loaner i am driving has had the update and it is entirely different than my car has ever been. Wow! I read TJ's post after his update and thought exactly the same thing -- power is instant and virtually linear from any speed.

So we'll see what it's like tomorrow. I'm anticipating the instrument panel to be blank when I start the car, requiring me to push the turn signal stalk to toggle the clock and outside temp display on every time I start the car. That's what the loaner does. I will not be happy at all if that happens.

interesting, i had the same exact issue with the CBS data, my car keeps going back to "transport mode" which is what the cars are set in coming over from germany...i had that fixed along with my bad engine temp sensor and new SW flash (not the SIB 12 09 11, i already had that, but they put a newer version on, still trying to figure out what)

my car has been in twice for showing 39,000 overdue for service while only having 3,500...they found what they think is the issue to prevent it from going back to "Transport mode"...so far so good and the acceleration in unreal now!!!
__________________


2011 535i*Jet Black*Oyster/Black Interior*P1*P2*Convenience Package*Split Fold Rear Seats*Anthracite Wood*

2002 325ci*Silver Metallic*Grey Interior*5 speed* Burlwood*Premium*Ski pass through

2006 X3 *retired*

1979 Chevy Corvette*White*Red Interior* 30,000 original miles
Reply With Quote
  #235  
Old 08-16-2011, 09:47 PM
Sonnie Sonnie is offline
Registered User
Location: Lower Bama
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 82
Mein Auto: Shopping
Bummer on the damage. I am always fearful when I get a new car. We drive a lot of back roads to and from work... and this is big time deer country.

I am excited to know this it working so well for several of you. It seems it has not worked so well for some others, which begs me to ask if they really got the right update... or an update at all, especially those stating there is no difference.
Reply With Quote
  #236  
Old 08-17-2011, 04:50 AM
tdepetra tdepetra is offline
Qualityhound
Location: Midwest
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 495
Mein Auto: 2011 535Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnie View Post
Bummer on the damage. I am always fearful when I get a new car. We drive a lot of back roads to and from work... and this is big time deer country.

I am excited to know this it working so well for several of you. It seems it has not worked so well for some others, which begs me to ask if they really got the right update... or an update at all, especially those stating there is no difference.
We have heard several times that the update takes a long time, quite frequently fails and needs to be started all over again. It's quite possible some people's updates have failed and a validation process wasn't followed to ensure success prior to the release back to owners. Any comments from software people out there?
Reply With Quote
  #237  
Old 08-17-2011, 04:59 AM
knecht knecht is offline
Registered User
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 36
Mein Auto: 2011 535i Xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnie View Post
It seems it has not worked so well for some others, which begs me to ask if they really got the right update... or an update at all, especially those stating there is no difference.
I believe the problem is if your car is built after 2/11 you have the fix, according to what SIB 12 09 11 states. My SA stated the same thing. So for me with a build date of 3/11 they looked at the car for a week and couldn't find a problem. So service falls back to it's performing as designed. In my case they proved to me that the software was installed by showing me what the SIB showed and what version I have on the car. I'm sure there is a newer version out there, but how to get them to install it is another problem.
__________________
2011 535xi, Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Dakota Leather, Dark Wood, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, iPod-USB, Sat Radio
Reply With Quote
  #238  
Old 08-17-2011, 05:04 AM
Sonnie Sonnie is offline
Registered User
Location: Lower Bama
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 82
Mein Auto: Shopping
It seems as though there is an even newer update out there now. Hopefully it will surface.
Reply With Quote
  #239  
Old 08-17-2011, 05:56 AM
Needsdecaf's Avatar
Needsdecaf Needsdecaf is offline
Everything's Bigger in TX
Location: The Woodlands, TX
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,106
Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
Not sure of the total download time, but they had to keep it overnight. The car drives in such a different way now, it's great. As someone mentioned earlier it's hard to drive this car smoothly from a dead stop. you have to "feather the throttle and creep away like a cat burglar". Which is what I have conditioned myself to do. I let my dad borrow the car last week and he said he had a hard time controlling the car in city traffic, said the freeway was fine.
I would like to hear what you have to say in two weeks. When they did my big download in March (I think) I am not sure if this software was part of it or not. They also reset all the transmission and throttle (?) adaptations at that time and the car drove like a dream...for a week.

Again, not sure if the transmission software was downloaded. I was under the impression that it was an entire car download, but I will ask my S/A.
__________________
2011 535i
Sophisto Grau / Oyster - Black Nappa, Anthracite Wood Gone but not forgotten.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Reply With Quote
  #240  
Old 08-17-2011, 07:07 AM
TJPark01's Avatar
TJPark01 TJPark01 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hollywood, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,161
Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdepetra View Post
So we'll see what it's like tomorrow. I'm anticipating the instrument panel to be blank when I start the car, requiring me to push the turn signal stalk to toggle the clock and outside temp display on every time I start the car. That's what the loaner does. I will not be happy at all if that happens.
Yes the display is now blank, but it's a small price to pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knecht View Post
For those that just had the new software loaded or are getting the software loaded, would it be possible for you to find out what software level they are installing? I think it would be very helpful to everyone. Thanks.
This is what the repair order says:
Quote:
*AS PER SIB 12 09 11 REPROGRAMMED VEHICLE USING ISTA.P42.2.0.0
*PERFORMED STEERING ANGLE SENSOR RECALIBRATION.
* PERFORMED ICM UNIT AND ACTIVE CRUISE CONTROL RECALIBRATION.
* CLEARED FAULTS. CHECKED VEHICLE OPERATION, NORMAL AT THIS TIME.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #241  
Old 08-17-2011, 07:35 AM
Sonnie Sonnie is offline
Registered User
Location: Lower Bama
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 82
Mein Auto: Shopping
Ouch on the blank display. It is very nice having the display reset to the previous setting at start up. Why would they change that? Crazy stuff... who in the world sits around and thinks up ways of how they can mess something up? Just does not make sense.
Reply With Quote
  #242  
Old 08-17-2011, 05:34 PM
UNCtarheels UNCtarheels is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NC
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 137
Mein Auto: 2011 535i ** 2002 325ci
so i hate to ask this question, is there anyway that we can tell as owners what current sw is loaded in a car? meaning, do we have to have the car connected to a computer in order to read the sw verison or firmware #? i just wonder if it is a way to find this out...that is the real question to me, what software version do i have say compared to someone's car that isnt working correctly?? (there has to be a shortcut for the sw to display in iDrive...i have seen other posts where you can reprogram the automatic sunroof by following certain steps (i had to reset mine) and i have seen posts that you can turn the iDrive dial to certain combinations to make other version #'s of items appear on your LCD screen)

i am starting to think it may have something to do with the engine temp sensor...i mean as soon as they replaced mine this thing is golden...talked to my SA today and he didnt show any info on what they recently flashed mine to after installing the new engine sensor...so either they didnt record the flash as apart of my work order because i didnt turn it in on this particular trip reporting that issue or they really didnt do anything at all and just simply replaced the sensor......????
__________________


2011 535i*Jet Black*Oyster/Black Interior*P1*P2*Convenience Package*Split Fold Rear Seats*Anthracite Wood*

2002 325ci*Silver Metallic*Grey Interior*5 speed* Burlwood*Premium*Ski pass through

2006 X3 *retired*

1979 Chevy Corvette*White*Red Interior* 30,000 original miles
Reply With Quote
  #243  
Old 08-17-2011, 05:41 PM
TJPark01's Avatar
TJPark01 TJPark01 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hollywood, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,161
Mein Auto: E92 335i
@UNCtarheels
I'm pretty sure you can't see this info unless you have a BMW diagnostics computer. Anyway, the only way I can say you'd be able to back into it is that if your car now has a blank IP at start up, where it use to read time and temperature. You have the latest version installed.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old 08-17-2011, 05:46 PM
UNCtarheels UNCtarheels is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NC
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 137
Mein Auto: 2011 535i ** 2002 325ci
also too, in searching NHSTA just now, there is a recent TSB dated April 1 2011 with SIB-23-01-08..it is related to the transmission...does anyone have any clue what this SIB is in regards to??

i also noticed that the number of complaints have risen to 55 on the 5-series with majority being around the tip-in issue...we need to make sure we are bubbling up as many as we possibly can to get the NHSTA attention...i am going to call them tomorrow and see how many complaints it takes before they either take notice or action...i know dont laugh, but hey, worth a try right??
__________________


2011 535i*Jet Black*Oyster/Black Interior*P1*P2*Convenience Package*Split Fold Rear Seats*Anthracite Wood*

2002 325ci*Silver Metallic*Grey Interior*5 speed* Burlwood*Premium*Ski pass through

2006 X3 *retired*

1979 Chevy Corvette*White*Red Interior* 30,000 original miles
Reply With Quote
  #245  
Old 08-17-2011, 06:01 PM
Sonnie Sonnie is offline
Registered User
Location: Lower Bama
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 82
Mein Auto: Shopping
I will also call them... the more the better I think.

Quote:
Bulletin No: SIB-23-01-08

Date of Bulletin: 08/15/2011
Summary Description:

BMW: A NEW TECHNICAL SUPPORT PROCESS HAS BEEN CREATED REGARDING TRANSMISSION CONCERNS. *RM
Looking for more.

EDIT: Not sure if this is right... I am seeing different dates.

Last edited by Sonnie; 08-17-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #246  
Old 08-17-2011, 07:29 PM
BHumphrey BHumphrey is offline
Registered User
Location: South Shore Boston, MA
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: 2003 530i
I have 528i sport and also have noticed severe tip in at standing stop, and also weird lag from slow roll.....waiting for downshift...all in N mode. When I go to S+ mode the tip in is gone, but the low gear shifts still can be jerky. Car is extremely responsive in S+ mode, and downright wimpy in N mode.....all due to the differing shift/rpm mapping. Seems that in N mode the car doesn't downshift quickly enough...all to help fuel economy.

At this point I just always drive in S+ mode and live with the lower fuel economy....(in S+ the car never goes into 8th gear from what I can see). ...

If I could reprogram S+ mode to give me 8th gear on the highway I would be quite happy.

Going in for service soon, so I'll ask about the re-programing....but, doesn't sound promising for the 528 from what I've read here.
Reply With Quote
  #247  
Old 08-17-2011, 08:30 PM
Sonnie Sonnie is offline
Registered User
Location: Lower Bama
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 82
Mein Auto: Shopping
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHumphrey View Post
I have 528i sport and also have noticed severe tip in at standing stop, and also weird lag from slow roll.....waiting for downshift...all in N mode. When I go to S+ mode the tip in is gone, but the low gear shifts still can be jerky. Car is extremely responsive in S+ mode, and downright wimpy in N mode.....all due to the differing shift/rpm mapping. Seems that in N mode the car doesn't downshift quickly enough...all to help fuel economy.

At this point I just always drive in S+ mode and live with the lower fuel economy....(in S+ the car never goes into 8th gear from what I can see). ...

If I could reprogram S+ mode to give me 8th gear on the highway I would be quite happy.

Going in for service soon, so I'll ask about the re-programing....but, doesn't sound promising for the 528 from what I've read here.
Check out this thread and tell all 528i owners you know about it. I believe we are making progress.
Reply With Quote
  #248  
Old 08-18-2011, 08:50 AM
tdepetra tdepetra is offline
Qualityhound
Location: Midwest
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 495
Mein Auto: 2011 535Xi
I picked up my car last night and it behaves very, very different than before. It does not demonstrate that sensation from a dead stop that it must first "engage" before it can move. That was more maddening fore than anything else. There is now no apparent lag, and shifts in normal, DS and M+ seem marginally faster, although that could be my (wishful) imagination.

I have not done any "Ronin" like pursuit maneuvers such as a rapid, full acceleration Y-turn after driving through a crowd in an open market. I'll work on that later and report results.

My IP time/temperature data is still there, much to my surprise. Don't know if that means I have the most recent S/W update or not, so the jury is still out. I like the IP functioning the way it always has. Also, with only an hour behind the wheel, I don't know if the major improvements in tip-in and drivetrain dynamics will be sustaining.

Other changes have taken place that tell me the update was quite comprehensive. For reference, the car is a September build that had never been updated. I now have a "Connected Drive category on my main I-Drive screen that was never there before. So the menus an associated sub-menus have changed somewhat. I need to spend more time with the car to identify any more I-Drive changes, if any. The Blind-spot warning triangles are bright amber!! They have always been a dim white. The change has added huge functionality to an already good system.

I will provide detailed workorder information later today. What I'm seeing now doesn't look complete, and I want to probe what those numbers mean. Will follow up.
Reply With Quote
  #249  
Old 08-18-2011, 04:35 PM
caribz caribz is offline
Registered User
Location: Puerto Rico
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 50
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I had my car back today. SIB 12 09 11 was applied. The acceleration problem going from 0 markedly improved. At the beginning I had some hesitation when accelerating from 30 miles, but then it seemed to be improving/readjusting (or was it me?). I need some more driving time to properly evaluate the fix. The display is working well as usual.
Reply With Quote
  #250  
Old 08-18-2011, 09:54 PM
UNCtarheels UNCtarheels is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NC
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 137
Mein Auto: 2011 535i ** 2002 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdepetra View Post
I picked up my car last night and it behaves very, very different than before. It does not demonstrate that sensation from a dead stop that it must first "engage" before it can move. That was more maddening fore than anything else. There is now no apparent lag, and shifts in normal, DS and M+ seem marginally faster, although that could be my (wishful) imagination.

I have not done any "Ronin" like pursuit maneuvers such as a rapid, full acceleration Y-turn after driving through a crowd in an open market. I'll work on that later and report results.

My IP time/temperature data is still there, much to my surprise. Don't know if that means I have the most recent S/W update or not, so the jury is still out. I like the IP functioning the way it always has. Also, with only an hour behind the wheel, I don't know if the major improvements in tip-in and drivetrain dynamics will be sustaining.

Other changes have taken place that tell me the update was quite comprehensive. For reference, the car is a September build that had never been updated. I now have a "Connected Drive category on my main I-Drive screen that was never there before. So the menus an associated sub-menus have changed somewhat. I need to spend more time with the car to identify any more I-Drive changes, if any. The Blind-spot warning triangles are bright amber!! They have always been a dim white. The change has added huge functionality to an already good system.

I will provide detailed workorder information later today. What I'm seeing now doesn't look complete, and I want to probe what those numbers mean. Will follow up.
i would be curious to see your copy of the workorder to see if they posted any codes or sw numbers on there, would you be willing to post it? of course black out your address and such thanks for the post!!!
__________________


2011 535i*Jet Black*Oyster/Black Interior*P1*P2*Convenience Package*Split Fold Rear Seats*Anthracite Wood*

2002 325ci*Silver Metallic*Grey Interior*5 speed* Burlwood*Premium*Ski pass through

2006 X3 *retired*

1979 Chevy Corvette*White*Red Interior* 30,000 original miles
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms