Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535i xDrive
RyanS. Call BMWNA and let them know the car has issues. They are the ones that arranged for the service I am about to have. Don't let the dealer give you that ol'e "they all do that" excuse.

Full report when I get it back.
Q
2012 535ix Space Gray, Cinnamon, SAT, Premium, Prem sound, Cold W., Sunshades, Gloss Black Grille, Gloss Black Side Markers, RE970AS 245/45/19 non-run flats that run very smooth + quiet and also correct the otherwise optimistic speedo
Old 07-11-2011, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: G35/535xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
RyanS. Call BMWNA and let them know the car has issues. They are the ones that arranged for the service I am about to have. Don't let the dealer give you that ol'e "they all do that" excuse.

Full report when I get it back.
Q
Will do, thanks!
Old 07-11-2011, 08:00 PM

...Anyway - if "they all do that" then 'they are all defective,' right?
2012 535ix Space Gray, Cinnamon, SAT, Premium, Prem sound, Cold W., Sunshades, Gloss Black Grille, Gloss Black Side Markers, RE970AS 245/45/19 non-run flats that run very smooth + quiet and also correct the otherwise optimistic speedo
Old 07-11-2011, 08:09 PM

I agree, but it will be a cold day in hell before BMW admits that!
Old 07-12-2011, 07:16 AM

Called BMWNA and they suggested I take it to another dealer. I'll do it, but I am not expecting much, other than a waste of my time.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:05 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Dealer applied the fix, still have a delay when getting on the throttle.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:32 PM

I was told today when I picked up my car that since my car was built after 02/11 it has already had the update applied to it...and that all BMW's do this because of the electronic throttle system ...ugh!
Old 07-14-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
...Anyway - if "they all do that" then 'they are all defective,' right?
Like I said...
Old 07-14-2011, 06:10 PM
TTSam

Mein Auto: E92 M3 - 535 xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanS View Post
I was told today when I picked up my car that since my car was built after 02/11 it has already had the update applied to it...and that all BMW's do this because of the electronic throttle system ...ugh!
My car was delivered in June and built well after 02/11. It was in the shop today for replacement of a faulty emissions sensor in the gas system which caused the emissions warning to come on last week. They were also updating software for the throttle response problem, which they agreed was clearly present on their test drive.

We will see if the update actually does anything when I pick it up tomorrow.
911 Retired
328xiT Retired
X3 Retired
Old 07-15-2011, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 550GT
Well a great thread. My first BMW car, I've had a few of the motorcycles. I picked up my 535i in May and fired off an email to my sales guy not to long after that:

Well I have had the opportunity to put about 1600 miles on the car including a trip to Houston. Ride quality and handling are great. Two areas that I have some significant concerns are:

(1) The very non-linear fell to the brakes. It seems like I press the brake pedal and the car slows and under constant brake pressure reaches a point where it slows very suddenly harder. This is a bit disconcerting especially when I have passengers in the car.
(2) Even more concerning is that the transmission can't seem to decide what gear it wants to be in especially under circumstances where I punch the accelerator. I have had a few hair raising experiences where I went to accelerate (either on the highway or pulling out into traffic), I stabbed the accelerator and the car didn't 'o for about a second or second and half and then it felt like it started out in third gear. My expectations are that in a $60k sports sedan when I hit the accelerator the car goes, not matter normal mode, sport or sport plus. The tranny is taking too much time in any mode deciding what it wants to do. I have been using only super unleaded from Exxon in the car so it is not any kind of fuel issue.

I would appreciate your thoughts or BMW's thoughts on my concerns above. The car has met or exceeded my expectations in every other regard but what I have described above. Unfortunately, what is described above are some pretty fundamental issues.

I have not had a chance to bring it in, which was their response and I do not troll the discussion forums too much. I am going to give BMW a chance to fix it. Maybe the new patch. I will call BMWNA today and lodge a complaint, however, it is "attorney time" after that. I have not time or energy to deal with what appears to be a fundamental design defect. I suspect it can all be solved with computer programming but at some negative impact to fuel economy. The deceleration issues, which annoy me as much, are likely due to the efficient dynamics recharging the battery on deceleration. Very disappointed. My wife is scared to drive it and frankly I am scared to back it out of the garage sometimes give the herky jerky nature at startup and the tight fit. If BMWNA can't make this car drive like a $60k performance sedan, they can have their car back, I'll have my money back and head down to the Audi, Benz or other dealership.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:36 PM

I spoke with my dealer tyoday and he confirmed a new ECM update coming to the dealership over the weekend and we set up an appointment for two weeks hence to have the car reflashed. He acknowledged that it may take more than one day and the falsh failures are common.

Also, I asked him about an oil change at 4k miles and he said sure, $125 bucks. Holy crap on a stick. My 12 quart cummins diesel with Amsoil is less than that.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterScott View Post
I spoke with my dealer tyoday and he confirmed a new ECM update coming to the dealership over the weekend and we set up an appointment for two weeks hence to have the car reflashed. He acknowledged that it may take more than one day and the falsh failures are common.

Also, I asked him about an oil change at 4k miles and he said sure, $125 bucks. Holy crap on a stick. My 12 quart cummins diesel with Amsoil is less than that.
I know you said you picked it up in May, but what is your build date? I was told all cars built after 02/11 have already had the update applied.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:09 PM

Mein Auto: Toyota corola
My 535 acceleration issue

Hi
I had this same problem with initial tip in acceleration problem. At first I thought it was just me not getting use to the car. Then I foun this thread and took the car in and had the software update done. The car came back like a "NEW" car should feel. Smooth and responsive for a couple of weeks. Now the problem returns! I'm very concern and it doesn't feel right, a brand new car should not feel this way. It also "stutters" at a slow speed. What I really don't understand is, how could the problem return after the car got an updated software?????? Anyone has the same problem? or any idea to share?

P
Old 07-15-2011, 08:42 PM
Familienwappen

Mein Auto: '11 535xi, '14 X1 28xi
Quote:
Well a great thread. My first BMW car, I've had a few of the motorcycles. I picked up my 535i in May and fired off an email to my sales guy not to long after that:

Well I have had the opportunity to put about 1600 miles on the car including a trip to Houston. Ride quality and handling are great. Two areas that I have some significant concerns are:

(1) The very non-linear fell to the brakes. It seems like I press the brake pedal and the car slows and under constant brake pressure reaches a point where it slows very suddenly harder. This is a bit disconcerting especially when I have passengers in the car.
(2)...
IMHO considering they don't seem to listen on more important issues, doubt that they'll do anything here. What I've noticed is that you have three distinct actions going on that cause this non-linearity; 1. Actual brake system clamping and slowing next will come 2. the additional braking from the Energy Dynamic recovery system (usually fairly light) and finally 3. [the most problematic and noticeable) the downshifting of the transmission into 2nd and 1st gears - very abrupt and jerky. Find an isolated road where you can watch the dash while braking at the level that makes this programming most noticeable and I believe you'll see the same as has been described. Now could they reprogram when and how these other systems take effect? Seems like a reasonable possibility to me. Will they do it? Not very imo - what with the all the eco rules and regulations etc. putting pressure on the manufactures. Ford used ti use a line that went something like "A better idea - Ford" which went away not too long after an in fated model disaster. Perhaps BMWs better driving through engineering (over engineering?) statement/implication will go away after a few more of these bad systems programming logic snafus. My $0.02

Wir koennen alles. Ausser Hochdeutsch
Old 07-16-2011, 02:50 PM

I installed a Sprint Booster today and it helped this issue tremendously! It didn't take the lag away 100%, but I'd say about 80% of it is gone. The throttle is more responsive at all times and will take a little getting use to, but I prefer it with the Sprint Booster installed versus without. Sport+ is pretty touchy, but fun at the same time.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:18 PM
TTSam

Mein Auto: E92 M3 - 535 xDrive
Quote:
I know you said you picked it up in May, but what is your build date? I was told all cars built after 02/11 have already had the update applied.
I got my car back yesterday and they told me the same thing - all cars built after 02/11 have already had the update applied. Somewhat disappointing.

I suspect we will all have to wait for a future update.
911 Retired
328xiT Retired
X3 Retired
Old 07-16-2011, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual)
Do many people read across models on Bimmerfest? This whole discussion is strikingly consistent with the 2007-2011 BMW X3 auto transmission thread here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=262130

Highly recommend reading that thread carefully if you're experiencing erratic acceleration in your 5-series. Good luck!

-James
Seattle, WA

2006 BMW X3 3.0i (6-spd manual, m-sport, premium, PDC, xenons)
Old 07-17-2011, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i ** 2002 325ci
Quote:

MisterScott, it will definitly take more than a day, mine took two days to finally take the patch, but i also had the "pull to the right" patch applied as well. at least for me, the problem was resolved after the patch and i have added around 2,500 additional miles since then
Old 07-18-2011, 05:52 AM

Is the build date on the car somewhere?
Old 07-18-2011, 08:19 AM

Build date 12/1/2010. Found on dealer sheet.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 528i
Quote:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

Go to this site and punch in the last 7 digits of your VIN. It should give you your build date.
2011 BMW 528i- Black Saphire Metallic, Black Leather, Prem. Package, Prem. Package 2, Convenience Package, Cold Weather Package, Sport Package,Sport Auto Trans, Anthracite Wood & Headliner, Xenon Lights, Split Fold-down Seats.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
also located on driver side door sill
Old 07-18-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
I installed a Sprint Booster today and it helped this issue tremendously! It didn't take the lag away 100%, but I'd say about 80% of it is gone. The throttle is more responsive at all times and will take a little getting use to, but I prefer it with the Sprint Booster installed versus without. Sport+ is pretty touchy, but fun at the same time.

RyanS, quick question, have you noticed a difference in your gas mileage since the install? and sorry for this question, but does it void your BMW warranty if added?? i havent done any research on this addition so i am asking without reading anything!!! (i know, i should read first!! lol )
Old 07-18-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCtarheels View Post
RyanS, quick question, have you noticed a difference in your gas mileage since the install? and sorry for this question, but does it void your BMW warranty if added?? i havent done any research on this addition so i am asking without reading anything!!! (i know, i should read first!! lol )
I haven't driven it enough to notice a MPG difference. I'd have to guess that it would initially go down a little until you got accustomed to the new feel. Since you'll be use to pushing the pedal more than necessary you will probably do the same with the Sprint Booster, thus leading to more acceleration than desired. I'd say the learning curve would be pretty quick and then the MPG should be back to normal.

I don't see how it could void the warranty. All it does is increase the signal coming from the pedal (installs right behind the gas pedal area).
Old 07-25-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
I haven't driven it enough to notice a MPG difference. I'd have to guess that it would initially go down a little until you got accustomed to the new feel. Since you'll be use to pushing the pedal more than necessary you will probably do the same with the Sprint Booster, thus leading to more acceleration than desired. I'd say the learning curve would be pretty quick and then the MPG should be back to normal.

I don't see how it could void the warranty. All it does is increase the signal coming from the pedal (installs right behind the gas pedal area).

RyanS, are you still liking your booster??