Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-11-2011, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Xdrive
I took my 535 into the dealership today for a couple of small issues. I also asked them to check to make sure I have SIB 12 09 11 installed because I still notice a delayed throttle response when coasting down to about 30 mph and then hitting the accelerator. My SA just called and said they can't find anything wrong with the car and I have the latest software installed. My build date is 3/11 so SIB 12 09 11 was already installed. I asked if there was anything newer that may resolve the issue and was told I have the latest. But based on posts above it looks like there was one released a few weeks ago. Does anyone know what the new version number is? They are keeping the car for another day and are going to run a few more tests. Does anyone else experience this with a 535 with SIB 12 09 11 installed? I called BMWNA and they would only document the problem.

Am I just expecting to much throttle response out of the car?

Last edited by knecht; 08-11-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i ** 2002 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by knecht View Post
I took my 535 into the dealership today for a couple of small issues. I also asked them to check to make sure I have SIB 12 09 11 installed because I still notice a delayed throttle response when coasting down to about 30 mph and then hitting the accelerator. My SA just called and said they can't find anything wrong with the car and I have the latest software installed. My build date is 3/11 so SIB 12 09 11 was already installed. I asked if there was anything newer that may resolve the issue and was told I have the latest. But based on posts above it looks like there was one released a few weeks ago. Does anyone know what the new version number is? They are keeping the car for another day and are going to run a few more tests. Does anyone else experience this with a 535 with SIB 12 09 11 installed? I called BMWNA and they would only document the problem.

Am I just expecting to much throttle response out of the car?
no you are not expecting too much at all, i had the SIB 12-09-11 installed a couple of months ago and it corrected 90% of the issue...i still had a little lag left over but was still better than original (my build is 12/10)..i then had a bad engine sensor go out around 2 weeks ago, took it back in, the replaced the sensor (my car had a rough idle at start when the temp was hot) and also updated the software...

what we dont know is whether the sensor had something to do with throttle response or the new software, but whatever it was, it is completely changed the car with zero lag and awesome response time...

the way i would compare the new response is it is better than if you were to drive in D/S mode full time and now when i kick into D/S mode, it is almost too much response!!

2011 535i*Jet Black*Oyster/Black Interior*P1*P2*Convenience Package*Split Fold Rear Seats*Anthracite Wood*

2002 325ci*Silver Metallic*Grey Interior*5 speed* Burlwood*Premium*Ski pass through

2006 X3 *retired*

1979 Chevy Corvette*White*Red Interior* 30,000 original miles
Old 08-11-2011, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
D/S mode doesn't improve response, neither does SPORT on Sport auto trans.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBoston View Post
interesting, it improved mine (before the latest fix) and a ton of others within this thread said it improved theirs too....it is so odd how many different ppl are having so many different issues with this and then some it fixes....you would think that BMW would have an overall solution by now...instead of some 535 are perfect while others are still having issues

2011 535i*Jet Black*Oyster/Black Interior*P1*P2*Convenience Package*Split Fold Rear Seats*Anthracite Wood*

2002 325ci*Silver Metallic*Grey Interior*5 speed* Burlwood*Premium*Ski pass through

2006 X3 *retired*

Old 08-11-2011, 08:52 PM

I'm willing to bet it has a lot to do with Valvetronic on the N55 motor. BMW always makes some "improvement" to things that don't need improving (ie turn signals, press twice to shut off, wipers, joystick gear selector)... I think BMW engineers are bored and spend too much time on this nonsense instead of making ultimate driving machines.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
My response is great in D/S mode.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
My response is great in D/S mode.
My car has sport auto, so this may be different... all 3 sport modes do not improve response (Sport, Sport +, and D/S)

Last edited by Kar Don; 08-11-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCtarheels View Post
no you are not expecting too much at all, i had the SIB 12-09-11 installed a couple of months ago and it corrected 90% of the issue...i still had a little lag left over but was still better than original (my build is 12/10)..i then had a bad engine sensor go out around 2 weeks ago, took it back in, the replaced the sensor (my car had a rough idle at start when the temp was hot) and also updated the software...

what we dont know is whether the sensor had something to do with throttle response or the new software, but whatever it was, it is completely changed the car with zero lag and awesome response time...

the way i would compare the new response is it is better than if you were to drive in D/S mode full time and now when i kick into D/S mode, it is almost too much response!!
I have had the rough/reving idle at times when starting the car. It happens very infrequently. They investigated that as well and came up with nothing. I even mentioned the temperature sensor to them, just in case. I guess we either have to accept this is how the car performs in D mode or wait for a fix. The car isn't horrible in D mode, just could be much better.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
I have had the rough/reving idle at times when starting the car. It happens very infrequently. They investigated that as well and came up with nothing. I even mentioned the temperature sensor to them, just in case. I guess we either have to accept this is how the car performs in D mode or wait for a fix. The car isn't horrible in D mode, just could be much better.
yea see there is yet another inconsistent error right? so mine was showing an actual error code for bad sensor...they replaced it as well as updated the sw and the car is unbeliveable now...it is perfect..but then yours they didnt do anything..

i was like you, after the initial SIB patch update, it was 90% better and i could live with it, but the more i read posts of how other 535's were perfect, the more it weighed on my mind that i wanted it fixed....well it is fixed now but i hate it that so many others dont have the fix..

i really want ppl to know the difference and be happy with their cars, i mean hell, we all paid 60k+ and we should have a perfect car...at least that is they way i feel

2006 X3 *retired*

Old 08-12-2011, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 528i
Quote:
My car has sport auto, so this may be different... all 3 sport modes do not improve response (Sport, Sport +, and D/S)
I also have the sport auto and I can say there is a definite difference. Sport mode provides instant throttle response on mine. Of course, with that comes higher revs and less gas mileage. I haven't really used sport+ or d/s mode much, but I can't recall any throttle lag in either. It's the "normal" mode where the problem shows, at least on mine.
2011 BMW 528i- Black Saphire Metallic, Black Leather, Prem. Package, Prem. Package 2, Convenience Package, Cold Weather Package, Sport Package,Sport Auto Trans, Anthracite Wood & Headliner, Xenon Lights, Split Fold-down Seats.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeofrosty View Post
I also have the sport auto and I can say there is a definite difference. Sport mode provides instant throttle response on mine. Of course, with that comes higher revs and less gas mileage. I haven't really used sport+ or d/s mode much, but I can't recall any throttle lag in either. It's the "normal" mode where the problem shows, at least on mine.
i dont have sport, but before the latest fix, when i placed in DS it was perfect and normal D was the lag....now normal D is perfect and DS is almost too much response...i am just hoping that my car doesnt go back to its old ways in a few months

2006 X3 *retired*

Old 08-13-2011, 05:11 AM

They are keeping my car until Monday since they haven't been able to find anything as of today. I am going to see if the SA or tech will take a drive with me so I can recreate it for them.

UNCtarheels can you confirm that coasting down to 30 mph and hitting the gas, that you have no lag in the pedal?

I have about a delay once I hit the pedal, before it takes off. I can recreate that with the loaner 535 as well. Matter of fact I went to pull out into traffic with the loaner and thought I might be hit. I reset the adapters on the loaner to see how it responded and the initial acceleration is good but the lag is still there when trying to pass, etc.

Last edited by knecht; 08-13-2011 at 05:17 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
They are keeping my car until Monday since they haven't been able to find anything as of today. I am going to see if the SA or tech will take a drive with me so I can recreate it for them.

UNCtarheels can you confirm that coasting down to 30 mph and hitting the gas, that you have no lag in the pedal?

I have about a delay once I hit the pedal, before it takes off. I can recreate that with the loaner 535 as well. Matter of fact I went to pull out into traffic with the loaner and thought I might be hit. I reset the adapters on the loaner to see how it responded and the initial acceleration is good but the lag is still there when trying to pass, etc.

yes, i can confirm that i have zero lag, hestitation, tip in or anything related to the sort. regardless if i am starting from a dead stop, slow roll or even downshifting from 30 or coasting at any speed...i have tried every scenario ever since they replaced my engine temp sensor and flashed the new SW a couple of weeks ago...i cannot find any circumstance where there is lag whatsover...

also too, i have emailed my SA to see if i could get any info on what SW version number they installed while getting my engine temp sensor replaced...i will update once i hear back

2006 X3 *retired*

Old 08-13-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCtarheels View Post
yes, i can confirm that i have zero lag, hestitation, tip in or anything related to the sort. regardless if i am starting from a dead stop, slow roll or even downshifting from 30 or coasting at any speed...i have tried every scenario ever since they replaced my engine temp sensor and flashed the new SW a couple of weeks ago...i cannot find any circumstance where there is lag whatsover...

also too, i have emailed my SA to see if i could get any info on what SW version number they installed while getting my engine temp sensor replaced...i will update once i hear back
Thank you. Any information you can provide would be great!
Old 08-15-2011, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
my 2011 535 i xdrive is now back a the dealer after only having it for a week. they have had the vehicle now for 4 days trying to fix the acceleration issue. This car is very dangerous at the moment to drive , i am wondering why BMW will not recall the vehicle are they waiting for a tragic accident. they gave me a loaner X3 and it drives fine. it apears that the local dealer has tried a few time to reprogram the vehicle but it is failing. they are now reaching out to BMW of North America to remote in and fix this issue. Do you know he exact fix that as applied. maybe they should broadcast this as it appears it is a big problem. my dealer said they have not sen this issue before if this is true. what is the exct name of the software they applied , maybe i can help them fix the vehicle. this is not a Toyota , its a $60,000 automobile.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwuser666 View Post
my 2011 535 i xdrive is now back a the dealer after only having it for a week. they have had the vehicle now for 4 days trying to fix the acceleration issue. This car is very dangerous at the moment to drive , i am wondering why BMW will not recall the vehicle are they waiting for a tragic accident. they gave me a loaner X3 and it drives fine. it apears that the local dealer has tried a few time to reprogram the vehicle but it is failing. they are now reaching out to BMW of North America to remote in and fix this issue. Do you know he exact fix that as applied. maybe they should broadcast this as it appears it is a big problem. my dealer said they have not sen this issue before if this is true. what is the exct name of the software they applied , maybe i can help them fix the vehicle. this is not a Toyota , its a $60,000 automobile.
Hi!

Can I ask if your issue was seen when just starting from a full stop, or did it also show when attempting to accelerate from a low speed like 20-35 mph?

Thanks -
2012 535ix Space Gray, Cinnamon, SAT, Premium, Prem sound, Cold W., Sunshades, Gloss Black Grille, Gloss Black Side Markers, RE970AS 245/45/19 non-run flats that run very smooth + quiet and also correct the otherwise optimistic speedo
Old 08-15-2011, 04:06 PM

My service invoice shows SIB 12 09 11 was for vehicles produced up to 2/11. It stated that the fix is in software level F010-11-03-500 or higher. Mine has F010-11-03-502. I would love to know what version UNCtarheels has.

Last edited by knecht; 08-15-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:35 PM

Mein Auto: Shopping
It would be interesting to see the slides for it.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
My service invoice shows SIB 12 09 11 was for vehicles produced up to 2/11. It stated that the fix is in software level F010-11-03-500 or higher. Mine has F010-11-03-502. I would love to know what version UNCtarheels has.
i am not sure if my latest flash shows the sw level, so i have reach out to my SA, when i get back from business travel, i will scan my work orders from all of my appointments so that you can see them

2006 X3 *retired*

Old 08-15-2011, 08:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Well I got my car back from the latest flash and it was marginally better but the issue still exists. From a dead stop and acceleration. On the other thread I posted a thought on having the AC on because I took the car for a drive with the AC off in 98 degree texas heat and I noticed it performed better. I tried to pass at highway speed and merge into the fast lane the other day and. Had to floor it and wait for the car to respond. The same was true on occasion from a dead stop. In addition to my theory on the AC I and going to add excessive turbo lag, though not likely, or some other defective part like the ngine temp sensor that some people have had replaced.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:42 PM

Mein Auto: Shopping
That is disappointing to say the least... especially when it seems to be working for some and not for others. That temp sensor might be key.

Last edited by Sonnie; 08-15-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:44 PM

Agreed. Gonna take it to another dealer and brainstorm the temp sensor and make sure the flash is indeed the latest.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:33 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterScott View Post
Well I got my car back from the latest flash and it was marginally better but the issue still exists. From a dead stop and acceleration. On the other thread I posted a thought on having the AC on because I took the car for a drive with the AC off in 98 degree texas heat and I noticed it performed better. I tried to pass at highway speed and merge into the fast lane the other day and. Had to floor it and wait for the car to respond. The same was true on occasion from a dead stop. In addition to my theory on the AC I and going to add excessive turbo lag, though not likely, or some other defective part like the ngine temp sensor that some people have had replaced.
You have bigger issues my friend. This is more than normal.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 08-16-2011, 04:39 AM

I understand that having te AC off leads to better performance but the BMW TSB notes the tip in issue is AC and high ambient temp related. I think they understand the issue but have not fully corrected it with the flash based on my driving experience since I had the flash done. May be othe tissue like the engine temp sensor. All, if you don't have an issue great, that's where I want be. There are others on the forum that are having it.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
I just got the new software loaded today. Wow, what a difference. I really had no idea that the throttle was that bad. I guess I had conditioned myself to drive the car in a certain way especially from take off. The car is so smooth and responsive now. The times I felt there was a problem was say making a right turn when the light is about to turn yellow, you slow down almost to a stop, then give it some gas and turn, nothing, then lurch. This is now totally gone. I jusst tried it in Sport/Normal and Comfort and it's so much better. I had no idea what I was missing. So happy! Hopefully they figure this out for the 528i.