Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to robroyalty Send a message via Yahoo to robroyalty Send a message via Skype™ to robroyalty
Mein Auto: bmw 745li
Exclamation My 2002 bmw 745li is down shifting funny when im stopping

i have a 2002 bmw 745li and it is down shifting funny when i come to a stop. it kind of feels like a manual transmission when im stopping kinda like when your driving a stick and when your pushing the brake and down shift at the same time. i took it to the dealer and they said its a early stage of the transmission going out and they suggested that i replace the transmission. i only have 94xxx miles and it up shifts fine just feel funny when im braking. i just drove it 5 hours out of town yesterday. can someone tell me if they have had this same problem and if they had to replace the transmission. if so has any one went to aamco yet and how much do they charge to rebuild a transmission. the dealer told me its gonna be around 8000 to replace the transmission and thats a little to steep for my pockets.

p.s. can come one tell me how i can find out if i have a steptronic transmission.
Ads by Google
Old 06-03-2011, 11:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 760Li
all 7's came with a steptronic transmission. Have you changed the transmission fluid at all? If not it might help to change the fluid. I had testing done on my fluid and they found that it was only good till about 50K mils so with nearly double that the fluid is probably causing the issue. Also you might want to have your Guibo Joint checked for excessive wear. If it's worn it will make the transmission feel a bit more jerky at times.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to robroyalty Send a message via Yahoo to robroyalty Send a message via Skype™ to robroyalty
when i took it to the dealer they told me that they checked everything and that i should replace the tranny. they said the fluid looked fine and the programming was up to date. like i said i drive it and it feels fine to me i just drove 5 hours last night. personally i thought it was gonna need a update but i guess not from what they told me. do you think im gonna really need to replace it?
Old 06-03-2011, 11:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by robroyalty View Post
when i took it to the dealer they told me that they checked everything and that i should replace the tranny. they said the fluid looked fine and the programming was up to date. like i said i drive it and it feels fine to me i just drove 5 hours last night. personally i thought it was gonna need a update but i guess not from what they told me. do you think im gonna really need to replace it?
did they tell you how exactly they checked the fluid? The only way to check it is by draining the fluid from the car. There isn't a dipstick or anything of the sort to check it like you would for normal oil.

As far as a new transmission, I highly doubt that is the case that you would need one just from slightly rough down-shifting. If you click on my name and take a look at my Lifetime Transmission Fluid thread you'll see the results of the testing that was done and the color of the fluid after 70k miles in my 760.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:34 PM

they didnt tell me how they checked the fluid or even how they checked the whole transmission to come up with the assumption that i needed a new transmission they just said that its in a early stage of going out.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 745Li
A transmission reset may help.

Insert the Key to into the key fob (DON'T HOLD THE BRAKE).
Press the Start Button ONCE, just so the car electronics start and show the Engine light is on. (Again, Don't START the Engine).
Press and HOLD the GAS PEDAL all the way to the force down click on the gas pedal for 25 seconds.
After those 25 Seconds, proceed to Starting the Engine and drive your car.

More details:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195020
Old 06-04-2011, 03:25 PM
02 745li

Mein Auto: 02 745Li
I did the transmission reset on my 02 any it did wonders - After the reset I drove about 40mi (stop and go no more than 50mph) around
the area and then I stomped it a few times on the interstate - it works and you can do it whenever you want. I did it at a stop light once.
Good luck with it...