Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:58 AM
your average JAMF

Mein Auto: '07 Z4MC,'05 330Ci ZHP
[Z4MC] Replacing shocks at 40k miles - what else?

I have a set of Bilstein HD's sitting ready to be installed (via shox.com), and will have them installed next week, during my first visit to a well-regarded local indy mechanic. The car now has 40k miles on it. What else should be replaced, if anything? Bushings? If so, where? Are stock "good enough" if I've been happy with the original setup? Any guidance appreciated.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4MC AW/IR
Some people would replace the rear trailing arm bushings, also known as toe control bushings, but a special tool is needed for that job. Your independent mechanic might not have the tool. Rear alignment would be needed after replacing those bushings.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by car62 View Post
Some people would replace the rear trailing arm bushings, also known as toe control bushings, but a special tool is needed for that job. Your independent mechanic might not have the tool. Rear alignment would be needed after replacing those bushings.
Powerflex makes RTABs for the Z4 and M series, supposed to be painless and squeak free as well. I'd love to hear how the HDs turn out. I'm thinking to do the same.

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel
Old 02-07-2012, 09:49 PM
your average JAMF

Mein Auto: '07 Z4MC,'05 330Ci ZHP
Reviving this thread because I'm FINALLY getting ready to get the Bilsteins installed. Planning on having the CDV removed, oil changed, and my AC belt checked, which my none-too-helpful stealership told me almost immediately after the 4/50 maintenance expired that it was "cracking". I'll discuss the RTAB's with my mechanic. Any other last-minute suggestions? Thanks.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:51 AM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4MR
You hung in there for 40k miles with the CDV still in place? Brave soul.

Happy motoring.

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 02-08-2012, 10:07 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW z3
Quote:
Originally Posted by STIHLBOLTS View Post
You hung in there for 40k miles with the CDV still in place? Brave soul.

Happy motoring.

Whats a CDV and why remove it?
Old 02-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4MR
Check, Delay Valve. I don't know about the Z3 but in the Z4 it slows down your clutch engagement between 1st and 2nd gears. Makes you do the bobble head no matter what your experiance with a clutch is. From what I have read and spoken with other m owners it is almost the 1st mod made to the car. It made a immediate differenece in the driveablity of my car once it was removed. Some people have pulled them out and drilled out the valve, others bought Zeckhussen's valve. (I did).

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 02-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4M Coupe
Check power steering hose. My have a leak and replace under warranty. It is a known issue.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:51 PM

Mein Auto: 06 M Coupe, 01 X5 4.4i
Don't forget about those motor mount bolts!
CDV delete, clutch stop, BMW pedals, Strongstrut bar, SS brake lines, radiator hole cover, brake duct stop removal, Gunmetal M3 reps, roundel under hood, Intravee II ipod adapter, Homelink, air bag sticker delete, first aid storage under seats, Bumper plugs keyhole cover, painted reflectors, Headlight washer disable, Mstache front lip, Autosolutions SSK, Leather Z arm rest, Stromung exhaust, RPI scoop, RTAB limiters, powerflex bushings front, TC Kline DA coilovers…