Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW Motorcycles (aka Beemers) and the Competition

BMW Motorcycles (aka Beemers) and the Competition
Have an interest in BMW motorcycles or just motorcycles in general? Discuss the line of BMW motorcycles and how they may compare to the rest of the competition in this forum!

Old 11-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 535i sport
Synthetic or dino for new bike?

Have had my new R1200R for 6 months now. Already gone through the 600 mile maintenance and now the bike has about 3,000 miles on it.

In preparing for winterization I am weighing my option of the oil to put in this time. The BMW owner's manual recommends dino oil for the bike during the first 6K miles.

In reading through the net I come across this from Mobil:

http://www.mobiloil.com/usa-english/...ics/myths.aspx

It basically says the use of dino oil for engine break-in is a Myth.

What has been your experience?

I've always used pure synthetic on my Yamaha R6, so my inclination is to use synthetic. But with the bimmer being air-cooled twin engine and all, I want to make sure I do the break-in right.
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2011, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Roadster, K1300S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Ben View Post
In preparing for winterization I am weighing my option of the oil to put in this time. The BMW owner's manual recommends dino oil for the bike during the first 6K miles.
Why would you not follow the recommendations in your owner's manual?
"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).
Old 11-10-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerMikeTX View Post
Why would you not follow the recommendations in your owner's manual?
Good question. I guess it's the same way that many here question the "15,000 mile oil change," even though it's recommended by BMW.

Also, the BMW recommendation is self contradicting at times. Case in point. In talking with the BMW dealership on the maintenance of the bike during the break-in period, the technician told me the break-in period is 12,000 miles. As I questioned his number by telling him that the owner's manual says 6,000 miles, he just said "well do whatever you want, but I am telling you what is best for your bike."
Old 11-10-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Good question. I guess it's the same way that many here question the "15,000 mile oil change," even though it's recommended by BMW.
Different issue. BMW would not say that changing your oil MORE often than recommended will have any adverse consequences. The dino oil recommendation for the first 6k miles is to ensure that the engine is broken in properly before you switch to synthetic oil, primarily due to the different properties of dino vs. synthetic.

Quote:
Also, the BMW recommendation is self contradicting at times. Case in point. In talking with the BMW dealership on the maintenance of the bike during the break-in period, the technician told me the break-in period is 12,000 miles. As I questioned his number by telling him that the owner's manual says 6,000 miles, he just said "well do whatever you want, but I am telling you what is best for your bike."
That's not self-contradicting BMW recommendation. That's a difference between BMW and the local BMW technician. I'm assuming the technician is talking about continuing to use dino oil for 12k (some people like to run dino longer on a new engine to ensure everything is completely broken in and seated). I don't think BMW is telling you to switch to synthetic at 6k. BMW is telling you NOT to switch to synthetic BEFORE 6k. I believe that BMW's oil recommendations will allow you to use dino (provided it meets BMW's specs) for the life of the bike, but let me know if your owner's manual REQUIRES you to switch to synthetic at 6k.
"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).

Last edited by BeemerMikeTX; 11-10-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:23 PM

You're right the manual indicates not to switch to synthetic within the first 6K. I just made an appointment for the bike to go back to the dealership this weekend for an oil change and checkup, guess it won't hurt to follow the factory recommendation.

Also did some more reading on the R1200R board, seems all over the place as far as the opinion for dino vs. synthetic is concerned. Think I will keep the factory setting until the 6K and switch to amsoil or Mobil synthetic.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
You're right the manual indicates not to switch to synthetic within the first 6K. I just made an appointment for the bike to go back to the dealership this weekend for an oil change and checkup, guess it won't hurt to follow the factory recommendation.

Quote:
Also did some more reading on the R1200R board, seems all over the place as far as the opinion for dino vs. synthetic is concerned. Think I will keep the factory setting until the 6K and switch to amsoil or Mobil synthetic.
Yes, internet "wisdom" can be all over the place. One option to consider is to continue to run dino until 12,000 miles (and changing the oil at 3,000 mile intervals, like you are doing now) before switching to synthetic. It certainly won't hurt anything, and may help ensure that your engine is completely broken in. The principal advantages of synthetic are longer oil change intervals and additional protection in severe service conditions (e.g., hot weather). If these engines are broken in properly, and then maintained correctly, they will last for a LONG time (100k+ miles).
Old 11-15-2011, 09:03 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:

Sounds like a sensible choice.