Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 Alpine White 645i
Best brand of tires

I've been looking to buy new tires for my 645 and I'm not sure of what is the best brand to buy. I have 19 inch OEM M6 rims any suggestions on what tire best suits my car and rim. I keep hearing that run flats suck...
Ads by Google
Old 06-06-2011, 05:13 AM

Mein Auto: E63 & E46
my question has always been what do you do in the case of flats if you don't use run flats?

do you put a space saver in the truck or do you just have a spare at house and someone on call?
Old 06-06-2011, 05:14 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
The Bridgestones (run flats) that were equipped on my 645 Cic and 650i were excellent in my opinion. I never had problems with them. My M6 was equipped with Michelin Pilots which, in my opinion, are the best tyres on the market right now.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 06-06-2011, 06:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 650i convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslierc View Post
The Bridgestones (run flats) that were equipped on my 645 Cic and 650i were excellent in my opinion. I never had problems with them. My M6 was equipped with Michelin Pilots which, in my opinion, are the best tyres on the market right now.
I agree the Pilots are great and sticky but will wear quicker. I am a pirelli guy. Waiting to eat thru my current tires then going with the Pirelli Corsa tires. Which also wear quickly but very grippy

Current cars 2008 650i Convertible full tint, 22' wheels magnoflow 2007 Range Rover HSE supercharged

Past Cars/Glory Days
02 lambo Murcielago
06 Bentley CGT
06 Merc CLS 550
07 Ferrari F430
06 Ferrari F430 Spider
06 Lambo Gallardo
05 Lambo Gallardo
04 Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale
01 Ferrari 360 spider
05 Audi S6
02 Porsche targa S
99 Ferrari 360
91 Ferrari 348TS
99 Hummer H1 soft top
Old 06-06-2011, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: E63
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Drop Top View Post
I agree the Pilots are great and sticky but will wear quicker. I am a pirelli guy. Waiting to eat thru my current tires then going with the Pirelli Corsa tires. Which also wear quickly but very grippy
+1, I used to run Michelin PS2's and they are a hell of a tire while they last, unfortunately thats not long...I went with some Nexen tires this time around for my 22s at the recommendation of the seller, and have been very impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Old 06-06-2011, 07:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
This question is very hard to answer. Everyone has their preferences and so the answers can be subjective. I stuck with the Runflats on this car, but my previous had the Toyo Proxes and I loved them. Great in dry and wet.

I have known some folks who lean towards the Kumho Ecsta tires. Never tried them but typically they are pretty attractive price.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamark View Post
This question is very hard to answer. Everyone has their preferences and so the answers can be subjective. I stuck with the Runflats on this car, but my previous had the Toyo Proxes and I loved them. Great in dry and wet.

I have known some folks who lean towards the Kumho Ecsta tires. Never tried them but typically they are pretty attractive price.

I have toyo proxes on my 6er now but I always felt that there might be a more comfy, grippy tire out the... I've been hearing a lot of good things about the Michelin PS2's lately.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:09 AM

Thanks everyone for the great advice, it will make my tire shopping a lil easier
Old 06-06-2011, 09:08 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
Tyre choices

One of the main reasons many dump the runflats is ride quality followed by cost to replace closely followed by punctures. These tyres cannot be repaired (I know debatable), but here in the UK 99% of places refuse. The runflats seems very prone to getting punctures, I had 6 new tyres in the first 18 months of ownership.....average mileage 3k miles if that!!
I now have Pirelli PZero and am very pleased, better ride quality, cheaper.
To overcome the lack of spare, my tyres have a special formulae injected into the inner tyres to stop punctures from occurring. slight issues with balancing if the care left for a couple of days but evens out after a couple of miles.
Others get the BMW puncture kit which is basically a gel injected when the tyre gets a puncture and a pump to re-inflate. A get you home measure.

Does my bum look good in this !
Old 06-06-2011, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: ...
What tire has the longest wear? I'll sacrifice some performance for longevity. I'm still running a stock tire size : 245/35/19 & 275/35/19
Silver Grey Coupe -- Breyton Race GTS 19" Wheels - Eibach 18mm Wheel Spacers - Eibach Springs - Magnaflow X-Pipe - Straight Pipe Exhaust (resonator & muffler delete) - Matte Black Grille - MGP satin finish Caliper Covers - 5% Tint - iPod Integration - LED Halos - 8K Xenons - 6K Fogs - White Exterior Turn Signal Bulbs - ACS Pedals - K&N Filter - Debadged Rear - Black Painted Tails & Headlamps - Lumma Roof Spoiler - 3M Di-Noc CF Wrapped Trim, Roof, Roof Spoiler & Fog Surrounds
Old 06-06-2011, 07:46 PM
Greg

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci convertible
An inexpensive tire that performs very will is Hankook Ventus V12. I put a set on my car and I'm very happy with the performance; they finished 2nd behind the PS2 in a Car and Driver tire test of summer performance tires. I carry a can of fix a flat, small air compressor and a tire plug kit....and don't miss my run flats.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:37 AM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Two of the best tires available with a long track record of excellence are the Continental ExtremeContact DW and the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. I have tried both and they perform extremely well in wet or dry and are quiet and comfortable.

As mentioned above the Hankook Ventus V12 is probably the best budget tire available. It actually out performs many of the "premium" summer tires on the market for half the price.

If you want long tread life go for the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT, Continental ExtremeContact DW or the Hankook Ventus V12. (in that order)

There are two new tires just released, the Michelin Pilot Super Sport and the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 which are both supposed to be in a league of their own when it comes to performance. (new generation of compounds) I have yet to try them, but friends who have them mounted rave about them - amazing in wet, quiet and not harsh at all.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Last edited by Yorgi; 06-07-2011 at 01:38 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:46 PM

Mein Auto: '05 645 Ci Convertible
Ditch the runflats unless you live out in the boonies or innercity ghettos. They aren't worth the price, esp since they cant be repaired, as someone eluded to already. I have the Kumho Ecsta Summers that TampaMark spoke of, bought thru Tirerack.com. They work well for the price...granted I'm a pretty chill type of driver thou.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:05 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 650i Sport
Just got the Michelin Pilot Super Sport and love em'
Old 06-11-2011, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaedude View Post
Ditch the runflats unless you live out in the boonies or innercity ghettos. They aren't worth the price, esp since they cant be repaired, as someone eluded to already. I have the Kumho Ecsta Summers that TampaMark spoke of, bought thru Tirerack.com. They work well for the price...granted I'm a pretty chill type of driver thou.
This is relevant, you are a chill driver so what does it matter? Inexpensive tires are the way to go.

The Kumho are used pretty widely by the Porsche crowd, even on the track. The price to performance is very good.

The Hankook get pretty good reviews, and Tirerack has them in the same price range as the Kumho.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Greg

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci convertible
When I bought my Hankook tires last October, Discount Tire had better pricing than Tire Rack. I got a $60 rebate from Hankook and saw an ad on TV a few days ago that this rebate is back on.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: '05 645 Ci Convertible
Disregard my post about Kumho's above, because they are crap and their warranty is a bunch of BS. I had a sidewall failure on my back tire after only 6 months of use. After a week of trying to get the company to replace them (since I used Tirerack, no local dealer wanted to help), I'm still without a tire. Anyway, after a Sears dealer about 15 miles away said he would help, the Sears manager argued on the phone with the Kumho warranty guy for ~1 hour (only 1 warranty guy for the United States, his name is Charles Rouse...and he doesn't return calls you leave on his phone). Finally, they relented, and said they are going to prorate them since I only have 7/32s tread left...which I COULDN'T BELIEVE. I don't drive aggressive. The car is only used for work and back 5 days/week. ~60miles round trip. BUT HERE'S the KICKER --> they don't even have the DAMN TIRE IN STOCK!!! I about spiked my iPhone on the floor, I was so pissed.

So, I have two choices. Wait for 3-4 weeks for the tire, or buy a couple new tires. Screw you Kumho.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 645ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by WGMc View Post
An inexpensive tire that performs very will is Hankook Ventus V12. I put a set on my car and I'm very happy with the performance; they finished 2nd behind the PS2 in a Car and Driver tire test of summer performance tires. I carry a can of fix a flat, small air compressor and a tire plug kit....and don't miss my run flats.
I use these tires as well. They are very reasonably priced and I feel they perform great. Excellent cornering, great traction in both wet and dry. I think they outperform a lot of the more expensive tires in the same category. The tread pattern looks great too. I'm about 1k miles into this set and have no complaints. I find myself pushing the car in corners trying to test the limits of the tire. Highly recommended for the aggressive driver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1321138079.130149.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	300909   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1321138125.268467.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	300910   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1321138165.500463.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	300911  
Old 11-13-2011, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2007' BMW 650i
I have 4k miles on the Michelle ps2 sport plus. They replaced the stock run flats which had poor tread wear, imo. I wouldn't go back to run flats. They were expensive and noisy. Run flat tires seemed stiffer but got worse gas mileage. The difference in Michein ps2 and the new ps2+ is the tire warranty where the plus is rated at 45k. The mileage warranty doesn't apply to a staggered tire setup though. I put the Michelin's up there as one of the better choices for us. I considered the Continental brand as well and may try them next, if the PS2+ don't compel me.

2007' BMW 650i Cabriolet | Stratus Metallic - Gray top
SMG Transmission | HUD | Logic 7 | Sport Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg
Adaptive Cruise Control | Comfort Access

Last edited by JlMMY; 11-13-2011 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Sent via Tablet with auto correct.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
I have a set of Falken F-42's and Frankly I love them... I have bigger wheels than the stock 19's now so that may be skewing my opinion.. I will say that they feel better than the rock hard RFT's...
Old 11-13-2011, 07:31 AM

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
I guess I'm OEM partial. I am still running the original RFT on my car with 44K miles on it and I still have enough meat to take me to the next driving season. (car is about ready to get locked away for winter) I was just in for service and they check my tires and the front are worn lower than the rear but still within specs. I feel its ones driving pattern that has a lot to do with the longevity of the tires so it don't matter if you get top of the line or reasonably priced ones as long has they are rated with good traction.

Previous Cars:
2008 650 Convertible 6 speed manual
2004 645 Convertible 6 speed manual
1994 540 6 speed manual
Old 11-13-2011, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
I've been happy with the PS2s but the rears will be done in another month or so (probably got around 15K miles). really debating on their replacements... local tire shop quoted me $1,180 as the all in price for two PS2s on the rear... can get them delivered from tirerack for about $870... thinking about the hankook V12s... decisions, decisions...

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 11-13-2011, 11:59 PM
06 BMW 650i Sprt/Prem Pkg

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650i e64
Ive had nothing but the Pirelli P Zero's on my 6er, got rid of the RFT's. Huge difference in ride/handling. She's an 06 with 40k miles on her now and just replaced the back tires last year.
I'm an aggressive driver and they hold on to the road really good. A little pricey but the peace of mind knowing they are going to be there for you in a high speed turn or a quick stop is important...

2006 BMW 650i Sport/Premium Package
+ Various Mods & Upgrades