Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 06-10-2011, 08:55 AM
cwinter's Avatar
cwinter cwinter is offline
Here comes trouble!
Location: Dallas, TX
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8,301
Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Soooo....they are only offering a hatchback now? Or are they starting with a hatchback and eventually will have a two door coupe? Not a big fan of what I am seeing so far. I always thought the 1er coupe was a nice edgy sporty car. Would I not need two doors, a 135i would have been very tempting in many ways. This just does not look interesting at all.
__________________
2009 328i Sedan - Ordered: 2/24/09 .:. Delivered: 5/6/09
Jet Black | Black Dakota | Aluminum | Premium | Sport | Xenon | CA | Split Fold Seats


Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 06-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Aronis Aronis is offline
Registered User
Location: NY
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 40
Mein Auto: RS6
I'm more interested in the engine choices. What happened to the 135 300 HP turbo 6?????


By the way, it is a nice copy of the VW Golf!!

And also by the way the 550GT appeal is the interior space for 5 humans. Based on 7 series.

Audi's A7 is strictly a 4 seater!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 06-11-2011, 02:12 PM
brkf's Avatar
brkf brkf is online now
Not Wearing Pants
Location: Earth
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 13,220
Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
Soooo....they are only offering a hatchback now? Or are they starting with a hatchback and eventually will have a two door coupe? Not a big fan of what I am seeing so far. I always thought the 1er coupe was a nice edgy sporty car. Would I not need two doors, a 135i would have been very tempting in many ways. This just does not look interesting at all.
The 1 series was released as a hatch originally in Europe in 2004. Again, just as before, the 1 will be released as a hatch in Europe. The main market for the 1 is Europe, not the US.

The US received the coupe only as a 2008 model. The coupe is a very small segment of 1 series sales and that's all they're currently pushing in the USA for the 1. It's doubtful the USA will get a 1 series hatch.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 06-11-2011, 03:12 PM
thumper_330's Avatar
thumper_330 thumper_330 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: St. Louis, MO
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,359
Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_330 Send a message via Skype™ to thumper_330
Mein Auto: 2012 K1600GT, 2008 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueguydotcom View Post
It's doubtful the USA will get a 1 series hatch.
Which is incredibly sad in a way. I know plenty of people in their mid 20's now (good friends of mine) and just about all of them drive hot hatches like the Mazdaspeed 3. They have grown up with hatchbacks and are about at the age where they're getting into jobs where they can afford something a little more upscale like a BMW. Without a hatchback, those same people are going to look elsewhere because "coupes are for mid-lifers" (actual quote).

I may be a bit odd... I'm not quite a mid-lifer (still not yet 40) but I would love a small hatch. Then again, I grew up in the UK so hatches are pretty much what I was used to up until I moved to the USA.

So the problem is; the 3'er is pricing itself beyond the reach of most of those upgrading 20 somethings... and the 1'er which is supposed to appeal to those 20 somethings... well, it doesn't because they have grown up in a different world where coupes are purchased by empty nesters. The 'vert is a nice little car, but it's both impractical and has this image among the younger adults that they're all driven by gray-hairs.

I know that I'm generalizing... I can't help it. It's just what I see, and it's not just here in the Midwest. I've traveled quite a bit to the West Coast and the Mountains recently, and I am seeing the exact same changes happening there.
__________________
2001 E46 BMW 330i Sport Package 6MT *SOLD*
2004 BMW R1150GS - *SOLD*
2004 E60 BMW 545i Sport 6MT - *SOLD*
2012 BMW 135i - Deep Sea Blue / Terracotta / DCT *SOLD*
2012 BMW K1600GT - Vermillion Red Metallic
2008 BMW E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Silver / 6MT

http://www.driveblog.net
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 06-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Capobranco's Avatar
Capobranco Capobranco is offline
Eye of the Wolf
Location: on the mountain
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,360
Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper_330 View Post
Which is incredibly sad in a way. I know plenty of people in their mid 20's now (good friends of mine) and just about all of them drive hot hatches like the Mazdaspeed 3. They have grown up with hatchbacks and are about at the age where they're getting into jobs where they can afford something a little more upscale like a BMW. Without a hatchback, those same people are going to look elsewhere because "coupes are for mid-lifers" (actual quote).

I may be a bit odd... I'm not quite a mid-lifer (still not yet 40) but I would love a small hatch. Then again, I grew up in the UK so hatches are pretty much what I was used to up until I moved to the USA.

So the problem is; the 3'er is pricing itself beyond the reach of most of those upgrading 20 somethings... and the 1'er which is supposed to appeal to those 20 somethings... well, it doesn't because they have grown up in a different world where coupes are purchased by empty nesters. The 'vert is a nice little car, but it's both impractical and has this image among the younger adults that they're all driven by gray-hairs.

I know that I'm generalizing... I can't help it. It's just what I see, and it's not just here in the Midwest. I've traveled quite a bit to the West Coast and the Mountains recently, and I am seeing the exact same changes happening there.
Really?...I have always loved hatches but I have always had one foot planted in Europe and the other foot on the East Coast. I have always viewed 5 doors as being a more aesthetically exciting and sporting alternative to traditional 3 box sedans. I recognize that mid 20 somethings may yearn for a more upscale hatch alternatives, having grown up with Mazda3s, but, how do reconcile the extreme hostility to hatches on this thread and on the 3 Forum in general? I am presuming many of the most scathing comments are coming from guys in their mid 20s who are very vocal on both the 1 and 3 Forums.
__________________
BMWCCA

Last edited by Capobranco; 06-11-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 06-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Capobranco's Avatar
Capobranco Capobranco is offline
Eye of the Wolf
Location: on the mountain
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,360
Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
I'm more interested in the engine choices. What happened to the 135 300 HP turbo 6?????


By the way, it is a nice copy of the VW Golf!!

And also by the way the 550GT appeal is the interior space for 5 humans. Based on 7 series.

Audi's A7 is strictly a 4 seater!!
Great question - 300 HP 1 series hatch would be epic.

I see the Golf as an inspiration but in IMO the 1 goes beyond the Golf to search out and conquer a more affluent hip demographic that desires a more luxurious upscale vehicle while maintaining an aura of political and environmental correctness.

As to the 5 GT - you are correct; the 5 GT is based on 7 series architecture, and the A7 is based on the A6. The sleekness of the A7 is achieved by sacrificing utility. The 5 GT offers a unique blend of performance, luxury, utility, value and panache/road presence.

The 5 GT is sui generis.
__________________
BMWCCA

Last edited by Capobranco; 06-11-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 06-11-2011, 06:07 PM
swajames swajames is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 985
Mein Auto: Jaguar F-Type V8 S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post

The 5 GT is sui generis.
You've made this statement rather a lot here on the forum. The 5 GT is hardly in a class of it own - it is but one of a class of premium German hatchbacks along with the A7 and Panamera (and some might argue the CLS is a class competitor, despite it being a sedan). Each of the these competitors bring a slightly different combination of design, dimensions, dollars and seating combinations, but fundamentally all are competing for the same customers. You claim that the 5GT brings "a unique blend of performance, luxury, utility, value and panache/road presence", but you can, of course make this argument in respect of every single car on sale in the United States today. The GT is no more "sui generis" and is no more or no less "unique" than any of its competitors.

Dan Neil's recent A7 review in the Wall St Journal succinctly captured some of this in his comments:

"Cross-shoppers will look at the Porsche Panamera V6 (pricier) and Mercedes's V8-powered CLS (pricier but more powerful), and BMW's sweet-hot mess, the 5-series Gran Turismo. And that returns us to styling.

For some idea of how far wrong the luxury-hatchback thesis can take you, look at the 5-GT, a car with almost exactly the same shadow as the A7 but so comprehensively awkward it has to be the result of industrial sabotage. Heavy as sin (4,600 to 5,000 pounds), visually chubby and as weirdly genderless as a Ken doll, the 5-GT ought to have one redeeming virtue: cargo capacity. And yet the sailplane-sleek Audi has 9 cubic feet more cargo capacity under its fastback than the BMW (24.5 vs. 15.5 with rear seats up). True, the 5-GT has 3 inches more rear headroom and, with the seats down, slightly more overall cargo capacity (also, it has a five-seat configuration).
"
__________________
2014 Jaguar F-Type V8 S
Range Rover HSE Lux, Orkney Gray, Sand interior
Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible, Midnight Blue, 6-Speed
BMW 550i, BMW 545i

Last edited by swajames; 06-11-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 06-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Capobranco's Avatar
Capobranco Capobranco is offline
Eye of the Wolf
Location: on the mountain
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,360
Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by swajames View Post
You've made this statement rather a lot here on the forum. The 5 GT is hardly in a class of it own - it is but one of a class of premium German hatchbacks along with the A7 and Panamera (and some might argue the CLS is a class competitor, despite it being a sedan). Each of the these competitors bring a slightly different combination of design, dimensions, dollars and seating combinations, but fundamentally all are competing for the same customers. You claim that the 5GT brings "a unique blend of performance, luxury, utility, value and panache/road presence", but you can, of course make this argument in respect of every single car on sale in the United States today. The GT is no more "sui generis" and is no more or no less "unique" than any of its competitors.

Dan Neil's recent A7 review in the Wall St Journal succinctly captured some of this in his comments:

"Cross-shoppers will look at the Porsche Panamera V6 (pricier) and Mercedes's V8-powered CLS (pricier but more powerful), and BMW's sweet-hot mess, the 5-series Gran Turismo. And that returns us to styling.

For some idea of how far wrong the luxury-hatchback thesis can take you, look at the 5-GT, a car with almost exactly the same shadow as the A7 but so comprehensively awkward it has to be the result of industrial sabotage. Heavy as sin (4,600 to 5,000 pounds), visually chubby and as weirdly genderless as a Ken doll, the 5-GT ought to have one redeeming virtue: cargo capacity. And yet the sailplane-sleek Audi has 9 cubic feet more cargo capacity under its fastback than the BMW (24.5 vs. 15.5 with rear seats up). True, the 5-GT has 3 inches more rear headroom and, with the seats down, slightly more overall cargo capacity (also, it has a five-seat configuration).
"


What's Unicorn Language for "Oh, Sh*t"


I suppose the Unicorn thought he was in the same class as Pegasus,
until Pegasus said: " Oh, ...Let's take this Trail."

Seriously, let's have some fun and enjoy this debate
over where it belongs. Please post this as a new thread on the FO7 Forum.

See ya' at High Noon, cowboy
__________________
BMWCCA

Last edited by Capobranco; 06-11-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 06-11-2011, 08:28 PM
wag-zhp's Avatar
wag-zhp wag-zhp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sacramento, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,532
Mein Auto: 97 White 328iC
This One is downright fugly! I liked the original One series coupe. It was a little squat and quirky looking, but still an attractive car from most angles. The new design is not.
__________________
When it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight! OohRaah!!!
U. S. M. C.
Semper Fidelis
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 06-12-2011, 01:55 AM
Fifty_Cent's Avatar
Fifty_Cent Fifty_Cent is offline
Pure Natural BMW Muscle!
Location: Nicosia, Cyprus
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,574
Mein Auto: 320CiC
I just want to remind everyone of the overall initial reaction when the E60 and E65 first came out.... all the purists, brand fanatics etc (including myself) were complaining against the revolutionary new design path that bmw has desided to take....
Well, I think the E60 was the best selling 5 series ever, and the E65 didnt do bad either.

This new 1 series does not stretch the design board that much, compared to the above.
I am sure that although the design will want some getting used to, especially from the die hard fanatics of the brand, but it will sell well....it goes right next to the Audi A3, VW Golf, Opel Astra etc, as a more driver focused (rwd), luxurius option.
Or not??
__________________

Last edited by Fifty_Cent; 06-12-2011 at 01:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 06-12-2011, 02:39 AM
mujjuman mujjuman is offline
tappa tappa toit
Location: NY
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,676
Mein Auto: hoopty
The F20 is hottttttttt!!!!!
__________________
mujjuman
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 06-12-2011, 11:48 AM
sekitori sekitori is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 49
Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty_Cent View Post
That is the ugliest car I have ever seen!
You apparently have never looked at a 2009-2011 Acura TL.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 07-05-2011, 05:11 AM
Irish325iCoupe Irish325iCoupe is offline
Registered User
Location: drogheda, ireland
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: 2007 325i Coupe
Face it. The new 1 is a dog to look at. And its "Face" is the main problem! Even if it is dynamically better than the previous model the first impression is what matters. Stylistically its a mash of unbalanced design, melted angles and lines that will not age well. There is nothing happy about the "face" - I think it looks sad! My wife had a new 2005 116i (which couldn't pull you out of bed and was traded for a same year 318Ci M Sport within 10 months) but I liked the look of that "old" 116i. I really don't like the look of the new 1.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 07-05-2011, 08:23 AM
qaz130 qaz130 is offline
Registered User
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: E87 130i
what happen to the front grill...
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 07-05-2011, 02:40 PM
ChittyChitty ChittyChitty is offline
Registered User
Location: Wyoming
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: BMW 3 series
Interior is amazing as always but I like the way it looks from the side and back just something about the front that I don't like. Comes together weird lol.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 07-09-2011, 07:40 AM
gary york gary york is offline
Registered User
Location: west palm
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: porsche 911
looks great from ... like my girl friend

this car looks like my girl friend
Shes beautiful from half block away
Beautiful up front.
But the rear or side views ,and well you know
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 07-12-2011, 01:20 PM
ChittyChitty ChittyChitty is offline
Registered User
Location: Wyoming
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: BMW 3 series
^lmaooo
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 07-14-2011, 09:40 PM
Lynn_128i Lynn_128i is offline
AW 2012 BMW 128i Oyster L
Location: NJ, USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 149
Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 128i coupe soon
I hope they don't stop making the BMW 128i coupe and the 135i coupe with the 6-cylinder engine. I feel it is OK to make the better gas mileage vehicles as long as they don't stop making the performance vehicles.
__________________
Petite Lynn - AW BMW 128i - Oyster Boston Leather - Gray Poplar Trim, Premium Package, Heated Seats, Heated Steering Wheel, Parking Assist, & Auto Transmission
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 07-15-2011, 07:42 AM
brkf's Avatar
brkf brkf is online now
Not Wearing Pants
Location: Earth
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 13,220
Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_128i View Post
I hope they don't stop making the BMW 128i coupe and the 135i coupe with the 6-cylinder engine. I feel it is OK to make the better gas mileage vehicles as long as they don't stop making the performance vehicles.
128 with 6 cylinder will not be a part of the F2x range when it's release in the USA. The USA will get the 4 cylinder turbo and 6 turbo. The 6 without turbo will not exist in the USA with the F2X models.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 07-15-2011, 10:08 AM
Lynn_128i Lynn_128i is offline
AW 2012 BMW 128i Oyster L
Location: NJ, USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 149
Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 128i coupe soon
blueguydotcom, when do you think the F2X will be released in the USA? Thanks for the knowledge. I will be leasing the BMW 128i for three years to be sure I love the car and then I planned to buy a new BMW 128i to keep many years if I love it since I don't want to make the mistake I make with my Acura RSX that I now kept for 8 years due to low mileage despite not loving the car like I did my Honda Prelude. Size, handling, visibility, and power are all important to me to feel safe when driving and enjoy what I am driving.
__________________
Petite Lynn - AW BMW 128i - Oyster Boston Leather - Gray Poplar Trim, Premium Package, Heated Seats, Heated Steering Wheel, Parking Assist, & Auto Transmission
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 07-15-2011, 01:36 PM
brkf's Avatar
brkf brkf is online now
Not Wearing Pants
Location: Earth
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 13,220
Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_128i View Post
blueguydotcom, when do you think the F2X will be released in the USA? Thanks for the knowledge. I will be leasing the BMW 128i for three years to be sure I love the car and then I planned to buy a new BMW 128i to keep many years if I love it since I don't want to make the mistake I make with my Acura RSX that I now kept for 8 years due to low mileage despite not loving the car like I did my Honda Prelude. Size, handling, visibility, and power are all important to me to feel safe when driving and enjoy what I am driving.
Sorry, others may have a better estimate with that one. The current gen 1 was just released so I can't say when the F2x cars will get here... BMW's release schedule on the current model was odd (like the X1).
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 07-15-2011, 06:55 PM
bmw325 bmw325 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 7,327
Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueguydotcom View Post
Sorry, others may have a better estimate with that one. The current gen 1 was just released so I can't say when the F2x cars will get here... BMW's release schedule on the current model was odd (like the X1).
Right the hatchback version of the current 1 series debuted in Europe in 2004, hence the 2011 replacement. But the coupe didn't come out till 2009 I believe. Nonetheless I doubt the current platform coupe will be in production for more than a year more (and theres evidence of this in bmw's "limited" production of the 1m.
__________________


http://nyccarblog.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 07-27-2011, 07:48 AM
kevler9oh kevler9oh is offline
Alpha One Charlie
Location: Scott AFB
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: WTB BMW :(
not a fan of the hatch design, would rather see them as a smaller coupe than a hot hatch.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 07-29-2011, 09:57 PM
Turbo_525 Turbo_525 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Illinois
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 659
Mein Auto: 2002 525i 5-spd
So - I like the 5-door idea - probably won't come to U.S.

I REALLY like the idea of the 120d with a 6-speed manual (3-pedal) - BMW are you listening!? Bring it to U.S.!!!

I dont' like the headlights. But I hesitate to say it's really all that ugly...Just look at current generation Camary's, they are uglier than an overstuffed potato, yet droves of people still buy them!
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 07-29-2011, 10:05 PM
Lynn_128i Lynn_128i is offline
AW 2012 BMW 128i Oyster L
Location: NJ, USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 149
Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 128i coupe soon
I feel they should keep the coupe and coupe convertible with the V6 engine in the USA but also add a hatchback version in the 1-series and they will have a lot more sales by reaching out to a larger market.
__________________
Petite Lynn - AW BMW 128i - Oyster Boston Leather - Gray Poplar Trim, Premium Package, Heated Seats, Heated Steering Wheel, Parking Assist, & Auto Transmission
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
1 series, bmw f20, f20


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms