Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:34 AM

Mein Auto: E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_128i View Post
I feel they should keep the coupe and coupe convertible with the V6 engine in the USA but also add a hatchback version in the 1-series and they will have a lot more sales by reaching out to a larger market.
BMW doesn't offer V6 engines in any of their models. They do offer inline 6's though.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:38 AM
AW 2012 BMW 128i Oyster L

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 128i coupe soon
Habribum Thank you for reminding me that my BMW 128i has an in-line 6 and not a V-6 engine. Can you explain the difference? I just know the "6" engine is so much quieter than my previous car's "4" engine and smoother and there is not efford to go up hills.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Lynn,

Some very general observations:

An inline Six has 6 cylinders all in a row.
But a V-6 has three on one side and three on the other arranged like a "V".

While the inline 6 is inherently smoother, it also generally requires a longer engine compartment and is difficult to install transversely for front wheel drive applications.

Power is more closely related to engine size (displacement) than number of cylinders and whether or not super charging or turbocharging is employed. This is why BMW's new turbocharged 2.0 liter 4 is more powerful than the non-turbo 3 liter 6 it's replacing. (Although some of us would prefer the older I-6 for it's balance and smoothness.)

Hope this helps a bit.

Tom
Old 08-23-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Power is more closely related to engine size (displacement) than number of cylinders and whether or not super charging or turbocharging is employed.
This is not always true. Early model Mustangs and Camaro's had high displacements yet they didn't produce any more substantial power than the E46 M3 with a 3.3 liter engine. The same could be said of the VTEC 2 liter Honda engines that produce 200 hp without turbos. They produce as much hp as the Audi A4 that does employ a turbo. Albeit the Honda does have a lot less torque.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni View Post
This is not always true. Early model Mustangs and Camaro's had high displacements yet they didn't produce any more substantial power than the E46 M3 with a 3.3 liter engine.
Of course all bets are off if you are comparing motors designed and built decades apart! But if you want to go that route, the Packard 30 4 cylinder motor of 100 years ago displaced over 7 liters and was rated at 30HP, but my 2005 BMW R1200 motorcycle produces 110 hp from 1.2 liters.

Tom
Old 08-23-2011, 03:51 PM

The Acura RSX with the 2 liter non turbo 200 hp engine was produced up to 2006. The current Audi A4 uses the 2 liter 211hp turbo. The 2002 Mustang GT was a 4.6l that produced 260hp while the 2002 M3's 3.3l produced 333hp.

Where did you get the idea that I'm comparing engines designed decades apart?

My original point was that engine displacement and turbos don't correlate to hp. Other factors like gearing should also be taken into account.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Where did you get the idea that I'm comparing engines designed decades apart?
Because your words were "early model Mustangs and Camaros". As the Mustang was introduced in 1964 (actually termed a '64 1/2 model) and the Camaro in '67, those were the first of the early models.

Quote:
My original point was that engine displacement and turbos don't correlate to hp. Other factors like gearing should also be taken into account.
While gearing (and other factors such as frictional losses) affects hp transmitted to the wheels, it doesn't change the actual power a motor develops.

My implication that displacement is more important than forced induction was poorly worded and misleading. It should have read "Power is more closely related to engine size (displacement) and whether or not super charging or turbocharging is employed, rather than the number of cylinders."

BTW, please notice the qualifier "more closely". Obviously there are many factors determining power output.
Tom
Old 08-24-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Because your words were "early model Mustangs and Camaros". As the Mustang was introduced in 1964 (actually termed a '64 1/2 model) and the Camaro in '67, those were the first of the early models.
It's 2011 man...... Anything made before 2003 is early to me. When you start talking 60's that to me ain't early, that's antique.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:03 PM

Mein Auto: 128i Cp, 1st year Boxster
When will F20 come to US?

So the F20 has been officially unveiled in Frankfurt today. Do we know when it is coming here? Also, anyone know whether we will get the hatch?
Old 11-23-2011, 12:48 PM
BlueMax

Mein Auto: BMW M3 AND X5
Quote:
It's 2011 man...... Anything made before 2003 is early to me. When you start talking 60's that to me ain't early, that's antique.
Well you need to get around a bit then. You can't begin to appreciate today's cars unless you know something about what you refer to as "antiques."
Old 11-24-2011, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: Audi A4 Avant, BMW 118d
118d twin turbo business A delivered yesterday

Finally got the delivery of the new model 118d A Business.

Drive is excellent and the response is fantastic, suspension is soft and love the joystick too. Keyless drive is a comfort and the LCD screen feels luxurious!

I have never loved the front or the back, i just got sold for the drive, comfort and feeling of luxury when seated inside. I think i made a good choice!
Old 11-24-2011, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: 640i F12, Cooper S, Smart
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavigator View Post

Drive is excellent and the response is fantastic, suspension is soft and love the joystick too. Keyless drive is a comfort and the LCD screen feels luxurious!

I have never loved the front or the back, i just got sold for the drive, comfort and feeling of luxury when seated inside. I think i made a good choice!
Congratulations! A good choice

2012 BMW 640i F12
2010 Smart Fortwo Passion - to be replaced by a proper car winter 2012
2005 Mini Cooper S - love it!
X: BMW Z3 2.8, DeTomaso Pantera, Porsche 928s, BMW 732i, BMW 323i, BMW 2002
Old 11-26-2011, 07:44 PM
Tirona

Mein Auto: 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavigator View Post

Any pics?