Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-06-2011, 04:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
HelpAC not working and it was 106 here in TX today

I sure hope someone can help me out.
My AC is not blowing cold, the pulley down by the belt is working fine, it turns on when I turn the air on and everything but it just won't get cold. I charged with freon and it didn't want to take any,....
Ads by Google
Old 06-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 09 Freightliner
Well, you may have a more significant problem than just being low on freon.

Maybe time to go to a shop and see what is going on?

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdilljr View Post
I sure hope someone can help me out.
My AC is not blowing cold, the pulley down by the belt is working fine, it turns on when I turn the air on and everything but it just won't get cold. I charged with freon and it didn't want to take any,....
Has it been serviced lately, have you put refrigerant in recently? Systems will also under perform if you have overcharged them.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330CI
If you search for a Robinair A/C repair shop They would be able to find your problem within 1 hour at most. Probably change you between $40 to $89. good luck,
Old 06-07-2011, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i, '99 e36 328is
Try your "hot water control valve". They generally fail in the open position, sending hot water to the heater core. A/C is not able to overcome the heat generated resulting in a condition simillar to what you discribe in the O.P.. It's located under the hood on the drivers side wheel well, under the air filter box/ maf sensor area. Theres a two wire connector on top and two hoses attached in back. Clamp either of the hoses, run the climate control and see if the situation improves. If so, replace the valve.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: 325Ci
did you check ur fuses??
Old 06-07-2011, 10:00 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
First thing you do on any A/C system is check the pressure on the low side and high side. Without those readings, you will be shooting in the dark. I can tell you from experience when the same thing happened to me I had really high low side pressures and it was because the suction side of my compressor died. I had to replace the compressor and she was back in business. It could also be the expansion valve, but again, without at least a low side pressure reading, it will be hard to nail down the problem.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 06-07-2011, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: 01' 330CI 6MT / 00' 540i
Question: you can see low side of the pressure when A/C compressor is engaged, right? High side of the pressure when it is off, right? My readings are something like this (80F ambient temp): low side 45-50 psi, high side 60-65 psi. Does it look ok?
Old 06-07-2011, 12:36 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous View Post
Question: you can see low side of the pressure when A/C compressor is engaged, right? High side of the pressure when it is off, right? My readings are something like this (80F ambient temp): low side 45-50 psi, high side 60-65 psi. Does it look ok?
Doubt you are reading high side at 65psi. Typical high side range is 250-310 (give or take), but no you read them with the system running. Low side should be in the low to mid 30's with an 80 degree ambient.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 06-07-2011, 12:39 PM

All my numbers are from small gauge mounted on the r134a recharging bottle.... I probably need to buy a good set of A/C gauges (I think there should be two gauges connected to two different ports, right?)
Old 06-07-2011, 12:49 PM

Yeah, I see. I, probably, eventually will get this set: http://www.harborfreight.com/a-c-man...set-92649.html
Old 06-07-2011, 01:06 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous View Post
All my numbers are from small gauge mounted on the r134a recharging bottle.... I probably need to buy a good set of A/C gauges (I think there should be two gauges connected to two different ports, right?)
Well if that is the case you CAN'T get a high side reading because the high side port is larger and the gauge won't fit.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote: