Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:02 PM
Lap Dog

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 M Coupe, '01 325i
Z4MC - Street/AX pads

I need to get a set of pads for the Z4MC that will only be used for street driving and autocrossing. I am pretty happy with the stock pads for this type of driving but looking for better options. Ideally, I'd like the same or better performance as the stock pads and no squealing. Brake dust doesn't matter, as long as it's not corrosive. What pads do you recommend?

'01 325i: Orient Blue/black, SP, M stress bar, UUC sways, TMS camber plates, TMS rear sub reinf kit, CAI, Shark, Borla, Dunlop Direzza 245/40/17 on 17x8 O.Z. Superleggeras

HPDE instructor, Boston Chapter Autocross Co-chair, Boston Bimmer columnist www.boston-bmwcca.org/bimmer/online.aspx

My performance driving site: www.OneHotLap.com
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2011, 06:25 AM

Mein Auto: 08 z4 mc
Im running the Hawk HPS pads. Less dust than the stock pads (marginally). They do not grab like the stock pads and seem very linear in bite on the street and on the autocross course. After 7 autocross so far this year I have been very happy with them and they are significantly better in my opinion on the street than the stock pads....with no squeeling/noise.
08 Z4 MC, GC Suspension 440/650, GC Swaybars (med/soft), GC Camber Plates, Remus Cans, SS Lines, HPS Pads, ZHP Knob, CDV Gutted, BMW Strut Brace, Rogue Tranny Mounts, TC Cline RTAB, RPI Scoop, K&N, Lowered 5/8", 245/275 Star Spec's on Stock Wheels, Street Setting -2.6f -1.8r 0 toe f, .15degrees toe in both sides r. Autocross setting -3.1 degrees f 3/16 toe out
Old 06-08-2011, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe
I just put a set of Hawk HP Plus on my Z4MC for a BMW GGC track day @ Laguna Seca a couple of days ago. I can't wait for the weekend so I can swap them out for the stock pads. They were great on track but they screech like a banshee around town. They sound like they are metal to metal. Do not use these on the street unless you are deaf.

I agree with AutoX08MC, the stock pads grab too much for my liking.
dave
ps I have only had the Coupe a little over a month and this is my first post, so take what I stated with that caveat.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:12 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Axxiss Ulimates or Deluxe Plus. Ulitmates dust more.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 06-11-2011, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 328Ci
I'd have to agree with Pinecone, Axiss Ultimates.
Been running them for several seasons on my '00 328Ci, great autocross and street pad.
Will run them on my '99 M coupe when I overhaul the brakes.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:51 AM
Calvinball Professional

Mein Auto: '07 M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Axxiss Ulimates or Deluxe Plus. Ulitmates dust more.
Ultimates dust more than the Deluxe Plus or more than stock?

2007 Z4 M Roadster Sepang/Sepang-X/Black, Premium, Nav, BMW Strut Bar, Stubby Antenna, Dice, UUC clutch stop, Star Specs, and the rest joyfully stock.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:09 PM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Less than stock, more than Deluxe.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 06-21-2011, 02:50 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe
I've also got Axxis ULT's on mine and i'm very happy with them for hard mountain driving and some autocross type events.

I ordered replacement discs now and some Stoptech Street Performance pads to go with them, i've been told that they perform the same as the ULTs.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:20 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by brave1heart View Post
I am pretty happy with the stock pads for this type of driving...
If you're happy with it, why switch?

I've found that whenever I decided to try a different brake compound out, it takes me few laps and several events to work out all the kinks. Unless cost is an issue, if the stock pads work well for what you want, and you're happy with it, stick with it.
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.