Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-21-2011, 04:54 PM
mikesevel mikesevel is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: new braunfels, tx
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 159
Mein Auto: 328i convertible '08
Orion Silver where/what are you?

So haunting a few BMW dealers lots for the last several months I spotted only one 2011 Z4with the Orion Silver color. Supposedly it looks like silver in bright sun and beige in the shade. I saw one on the net with a red interior. Is it a popular color that sells out immediately or is it a low volume seller? Anyone own one or know about it and will it be contiued in 2012??
Curious Mike
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 09-21-2011, 06:00 PM
TeeZee's Avatar
TeeZee TeeZee is offline
Freude am Fahren
Location: Here, there and everywhere
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 667
Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 3.0i, 2003 325iT
Plenty of pics here to check out

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244567

Sorry, no clue as to whether OS will continue on 2012 models
__________________


2011 E89 Z4 30i Crimson over Ivory (Munich delivery, redelivery at Performance Center), Eisenmann Sport Exhaust
2003 E46 325i Touring Oxford Green over Sand
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-22-2011, 09:36 AM
kyfdx's Avatar
kyfdx kyfdx is offline
Who, me?
Location: Kentucky
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,470
Mein Auto: 2006 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesevel View Post
So haunting a few BMW dealers lots for the last several months I spotted only one 2011 Z4with the Orion Silver color. Supposedly it looks like silver in bright sun and beige in the shade. I saw one on the net with a red interior. Is it a popular color that sells out immediately or is it a low volume seller? Anyone own one or know about it and will it be contiued in 2012??
Curious Mike
To me.. it looks like champagne in all light...

The last one I knew about was at BMW of South Atlanta... Adrian Avila is a sponsor of BimmerFest..

It was still there as of Labor Day..

I don't think it is all that popular..
__________________
2006 330Ci ZHP Imola Red
2011 X3 Bluewater
1995 M3 Montreal Blue
1987 325iS Bronzit (retired)
2011 Z4 Space Gray (retired)
2008 X3 Sapphire Black (retired)
2005 330Cic Silver-Gray (retired)
2003 325i Sport Steel Blue (retired)
1967 2000CS Delphin Gray (retired)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-22-2011, 02:12 PM
socal28 socal28 is offline
Registered User
Location: Bay Area, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 70
Mein Auto: 2008 550i
There's a used one (may count as new purchase as it was a previous loaner) in Mountain View, CA.
http://www.bmwofmountainview.com/Veh...-CA/1257217423
__________________
2008 White/Cream 550i
Sports, Navigation, Comfort Access, Sports Automatic Transmission, Heated Front Seats, Logic7, Sirius Sat, USB/Ipod, Auto Rear Sunshade.
LED interior, license plate and side markers lights.
Black powercoated OEM wheels, matte black kidney grills, shadowline rear "550i" emblems.
Reus Audio System
http://www.socal28.com/bmw/socal28bmw.htm
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-22-2011, 03:03 PM
BlueZ4AZ BlueZ4AZ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chandler, AZ
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 322
Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i
I recall seeing the Orion Silver back when I purchased my Deep Sea Blue back in 2009.
That color seems to take on an ever so slight pinkish hue or rosy glow in the sunlight.

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 09-22-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-24-2011, 05:03 AM
RoadstergalZ4 RoadstergalZ4 is offline
Registered User
Location: United States
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 92
Mein Auto: 2010 Z4 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
I recall seeing the Orion Silver back when I purchased my Deep Sea Blue back in 2009.
That color seems to take on an ever so slight pinkish hue or rosy glow in the sunlight.

I have an Orion Silver and while it does sometimes have a more silvery appearance in some lighting and champagne in other lighting, it does not ever appear to have any slight pinkish hue or rosy glow in the sunlight. In bright sunlight it appears silver with a slight bronze tint.

I know where you are coming from with the pinkish hue. It seems like that comes through only in certain lighting in some amateur photos. I saw BMWS's initial press releases as well as the sales brochure and fell in love with the color. I then started seeing owners photos online and saw the slight pinkish hue and had to re-think my color choice. I then found one at a local dealer and observed it in different lighting and I did not see any pinkish hue so I ordered mine in Orion Silver and obviously have seen it in all different lighting and have not observed any rosy glow. I have however, observed it in some pictures that I have taken.
__________________
2010 Z4 35i - Orion Silver, Ivory white extended leather, anthracite trim, premium pkg, sport pkg, premium sound pkg, cold weather pkg, navigation, 6 sp manual

2006 Z4 30i - Monaco Blue, beige leather
2003 Z4 2.5- Sterling Gray, black leather
1998 Z3 2.8 - Bright Red, black leather
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-24-2011, 06:55 AM
BlueZ4AZ BlueZ4AZ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chandler, AZ
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 322
Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadstergalZ4 View Post
I have an Orion Silver and while it does sometimes have a more silvery appearance in some lighting and champagne in other lighting, it does not ever appear to have any slight pinkish hue or rosy glow in the sunlight. In bright sunlight it appears silver with a slight bronze tint.

I know where you are coming from with the pinkish hue. It seems like that comes through only in certain lighting in some amateur photos. I saw BMWS's initial press releases as well as the sales brochure and fell in love with the color. I then started seeing owners photos online and saw the slight pinkish hue and had to re-think my color choice. I then found one at a local dealer and observed it in different lighting and I did not see any pinkish hue so I ordered mine in Orion Silver and obviously have seen it in all different lighting and have not observed any rosy glow. I have however, observed it in some pictures that I have taken.
It appears as a pinkish hue to some during certain lighting, to the naked eye. It was over 2years ago, so my memory could be wrong as it may not have been during bright sunlight. I've not seen one since.

Regardless, I thought all the colors the Orion Silver projected looked good on the Z4. The same color on an SUV - not so much. Certain colors just look good on specific cars.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-24-2011, 09:38 PM
thayden thayden is offline
Registered User
Location: jackson,TN
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 14
Mein Auto: '11 Z4 35is
Man, colors are so subjective. OS was at the bottom of my list and I ended up on an Alpine white which I think shows the lines best on the car but I'm sure the previous poster with the OS thinks his does. I bought a yellow Gallardo which looks fantastic in that color but I do not like the new yellow on the Z4 at all. It's funny how some cars look great in one color and another car looks better in a totally different color. In the end you just have to please yourself!
__________________
'11 Z4 35is
'09 Audi Q5
'07Lamborghini Gallardo
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-25-2011, 02:17 PM
mikesevel mikesevel is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: new braunfels, tx
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 159
Mein Auto: 328i convertible '08
Gosh, a Gallardo?

Thayden, if you ever drive the big G to the Austin/San Antonio area, let me know when you are arriving so I can beg for a ride. I would also consider paying you $1.89 for gas.
Mike
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-25-2011, 08:07 PM
thayden thayden is offline
Registered User
Location: jackson,TN
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 14
Mein Auto: '11 Z4 35is
Mike, the G car gets 11 mpg in the city, so $1.89 wouldnt get us very far. It'll be on me!
__________________
'11 Z4 35is
'09 Audi Q5
'07Lamborghini Gallardo
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-15-2011, 12:09 PM
NNRT NNRT is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey - USA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 151
Mein Auto: 2014 BMW Z-4 35 i
Have not seen another one in my area - great color - always looks clean -

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4368 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
Views:	496
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	297243   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4370 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
Views:	481
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	297244  
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-18-2011, 12:06 PM
az34 az34 is offline
Registered User
Location: montréal
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 44
Mein Auto: z4sdrive35i
orion silver is a dull color its not on demmand thats why you wont see alot of them at the dealer.a fiasco for BMW.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-18-2011, 05:52 PM
RoadstergalZ4 RoadstergalZ4 is offline
Registered User
Location: United States
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 92
Mein Auto: 2010 Z4 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by az34 View Post
orion silver is a dull color its not on demmand thats why you wont see alot of them at the dealer.a fiasco for BMW.
A fiasco for BMW? What planet are you from? Orion Silver was exclusive to the Z4 until the launch of the new 6 series this year and what color did they choose for all their advertising both on television and brochures? Orion Silver. I rest my case.

Sure, it is not for everyone, but it is far from being dull or a fiasco. If it was a fiasco, as you state, they would have pulled it from the color option after the first year, but here we are in the fourth model year and they are still offering it and are including it for the new 6 series as well. Get your facts straight before you post.
__________________
2010 Z4 35i - Orion Silver, Ivory white extended leather, anthracite trim, premium pkg, sport pkg, premium sound pkg, cold weather pkg, navigation, 6 sp manual

2006 Z4 30i - Monaco Blue, beige leather
2003 Z4 2.5- Sterling Gray, black leather
1998 Z3 2.8 - Bright Red, black leather
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-19-2011, 12:06 PM
az34 az34 is offline
Registered User
Location: montréal
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 44
Mein Auto: z4sdrive35i
Could work on a 5 serie or in big luxoboat like the 7 series but but look fade on the z.as for introduction color go to your dealer and pick a sales brochure of the new x1 its the uglyest shade of brown i had seen in my life.another fiasco for bmw!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-19-2011, 03:09 PM
BlueZ4AZ BlueZ4AZ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chandler, AZ
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 322
Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by az34 View Post
Could work on a 5 serie or in big luxoboat like the 7 series but but look fade on the z.as for introduction color go to your dealer and pick a sales brochure of the new x1 its the uglyest shade of brown i had seen in my life.another fiasco for bmw!


You've dissed 7 series owners, future X1 (Brown) owners and Z4 (Orion Silver) owners.

Are there any others? You may as well vent all your very personal, highly subjective color or other opinions now.
"Fiasco"? Really?
Now the DeLorean was a Fiasco

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 10-19-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-19-2011, 04:53 PM
TeeZee's Avatar
TeeZee TeeZee is offline
Freude am Fahren
Location: Here, there and everywhere
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 667
Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 3.0i, 2003 325iT
My wife lobbied for Orion Silver over Ivory.. I just couldn't see a sports car in that color so I chose red. When she buys hers, she can have whatever she wants (BTW- she drives a Sand Mica Beige Metallic Toyota Camry , so I know why she liked Orion Silver)
__________________


2011 E89 Z4 30i Crimson over Ivory (Munich delivery, redelivery at Performance Center), Eisenmann Sport Exhaust
2003 E46 325i Touring Oxford Green over Sand
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-19-2011, 05:33 PM
az34 az34 is offline
Registered User
Location: montréal
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 44
Mein Auto: z4sdrive35i
crimson red is beautiful for a sportcar like the z4. as for those who settle for funny color like orion silver or that ugly brown its your right but reality will catch you later in trading time!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-19-2011, 08:11 PM
thayden thayden is offline
Registered User
Location: jackson,TN
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 14
Mein Auto: '11 Z4 35is
Smile

Hey Bluez4az, I use to own 2 Deloreans back in the day so now you have offended me without even mentioning a color(which of course was only stainless steel)!
__________________
'11 Z4 35is
'09 Audi Q5
'07Lamborghini Gallardo
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-20-2011, 04:02 AM
RoadstergalZ4 RoadstergalZ4 is offline
Registered User
Location: United States
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 92
Mein Auto: 2010 Z4 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by az34 View Post
crimson red is beautiful for a sportcar like the z4. as for those who settle for funny color like orion silver or that ugly brown its your right but reality will catch you later in trading time!
First of all, the op asked why he did not see many Orion Silver cars at the dealers. I don't know of any BMW dealer that stocks a lot of Z4's in the first place and if they do have one or two in the lot or showroom, it is usually a basic black, white, or an occasional space gray.

Orion Silver was not a fiasco. If it was, they would have pulled the color after one model year like they did with other colors such as Urban Green on the previous generation Z4.

Colors are subjective. Orion Silver changes color depending on the lighting, but for the most part it looks like a shade of silver. I think it looks great on the Z4. It shows the lines well and I get compliments all the time. I traditionally have always had red and white cars and a bllue and gray Z4. I love my color choice and am not worried about trading time, so why don't you keep your negative comments to yourself. You sound like an imbecile.
__________________
2010 Z4 35i - Orion Silver, Ivory white extended leather, anthracite trim, premium pkg, sport pkg, premium sound pkg, cold weather pkg, navigation, 6 sp manual

2006 Z4 30i - Monaco Blue, beige leather
2003 Z4 2.5- Sterling Gray, black leather
1998 Z3 2.8 - Bright Red, black leather
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-20-2011, 05:33 AM
az34 az34 is offline
Registered User
Location: montréal
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 44
Mein Auto: z4sdrive35i
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadstergalZ4 View Post
First of all, the op asked why he did not see many Orion Silver cars at the dealers. I don't know of any BMW dealer that stocks a lot of Z4's in the first place and if they do have one or two in the lot or showroom, it is usually a basic black, white, or an occasional space gray.

Orion Silver was not a fiasco. If it was, they would have pulled the color after one model year like they did with other colors such as Urban Green on the previous generation Z4.

Colors are subjective. Orion Silver changes color depending on the lighting, but for the most part it looks like a shade of silver. I think it looks great on the Z4. It shows the lines well and I get compliments all the time. I traditionally have always had red and white cars and a bllue and gray Z4. I love my color choice and am not worried about trading time, so why don't you keep your negative comments to yourself. You sound like an imbecile.
I dont know why you get so angry.After all we just exchange opinion,even whit a name like Orion silver it is just another shade beige better suit for your grandmother Buick.As for car at the dealers,last summer a sales manager told me he dont want orion silver z4 because they cant get rid of them. same for Havana brown. I dont know why BMW mess around whit such colors I cant imagine a beige C6 or a UPS brown nissan Z but obviously BMW did!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-20-2011, 10:16 AM
BlueZ4AZ BlueZ4AZ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chandler, AZ
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 322
Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by thayden View Post
Hey Bluez4az, I use to own 2 Deloreans back in the day so now you have offended me without even mentioning a color(which of course was only stainless steel)!

Well what were the odds of that happening? I'm going to say about 1M:1 2M:1 tops
Odds a BMW owner is offended on a BMW forum: 5:1
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-20-2011, 10:22 AM
BlueZ4AZ BlueZ4AZ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chandler, AZ
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 322
Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i
RoadstergalZ4,

Orion Silver is a nice color, and as I brought to light in an earlier post, it appears as a different color to different people in different lighting situations. Very unique.

The personal opinions of az34, or any one person, on color, mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. In my opinion his exaggerated comments should be taken like the grain of salt they are. To my knowledge he is the one and only person who used the hightly subjective term "fiasco" and has no actual facts to back it up, so it reduced to nothing more than his own thought.

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 10-20-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-20-2011, 11:54 AM
RoadstergalZ4 RoadstergalZ4 is offline
Registered User
Location: United States
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 92
Mein Auto: 2010 Z4 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
RoadstergalZ4,

Orion Silver is a nice color, and as I stated in an earlier post, it appears as a different color to different people in different lighting situations. Very unique, is the opinion of many.

The personal opinions of az34, or any one person, on color, mean little to nothing in the grand scheme of things. Take his exaggerated comments like the grain of salt they are.
Yes, you're right Blue. I will ignore his ignorance. No one has ever come out with stupid remarks as he has and I guess I was stooping down to his level to try to make sense of his ignorant remarks. He is entitled to his opinion, but to go as far as stating it was a fiasco, is going too far.
__________________
2010 Z4 35i - Orion Silver, Ivory white extended leather, anthracite trim, premium pkg, sport pkg, premium sound pkg, cold weather pkg, navigation, 6 sp manual

2006 Z4 30i - Monaco Blue, beige leather
2003 Z4 2.5- Sterling Gray, black leather
1998 Z3 2.8 - Bright Red, black leather
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-20-2011, 01:19 PM
az34 az34 is offline
Registered User
Location: montréal
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 44
Mein Auto: z4sdrive35i
Sorry if I hurt you guys.But reality is cruel,Orion silver and Havana brown Z4 colors are real fiasco for BMW. Numbers of sales proof it and thats fact!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-20-2011, 04:40 PM
BlueZ4AZ BlueZ4AZ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chandler, AZ
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 322
Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by az34 View Post
Sorry if I hurt you guys.But reality is cruel,Orion silver and Havana brown Z4 colors are real fiasco for BMW. Numbers of sales proof it and thats fact!
Wait a munute, let me get all the "facts" straight ...BMW did not sell an exact number of each color car? Un....believable. So, you are telling us that they sold more of some colors and less of others? I am both amazed and befuddled. Your knowledge on this matter is astounding.
I'm just not connecting the dots to "fiaso" though. No need to explain. I believe YOU BELIEVE it's a fiasco, so not to worry.

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 10-20-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms