Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series

5 Series
Ask questions and discuss the 5 Series here. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 03-08-2004, 05:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 540a
Dave Z...need your opinion please

As a recap, I installed my Axxis deluxe plus pads last Saturday. I have an ongoing problem with vibrating steering wheel and vibrating gas pedal since I got my car new last October. The car now has 5050 miles in it. I have taken my car to 2 dealers. The first dealer rebalanced all wheels the first time I took my car to them for servicing. That didn't do any good. The next time I took it back, they replaced all tires. That didn't do any good. I then took my car to another dealer where they rebalanced the wheels again. The vibration in the steeering wheel and the pedal improved a little bit, but, it is still definitely there.

Last Saturday, I installed a set of Axxis deluxe plus pads. I was surprised to notice that my steering wheel shimmy went away after installing the pads. The gas pedal vibration is still noticeable though. I've driven the car up to 80 mph for about 60 miles Saturday and Sunday. When I got home today(I didn't drive the car today), I retorqued the wheels to 88 ft/lbs and made sure that the tires are inflated properly(33/f and 37/r). I then took the car for a highway drive. I drove between 60 and 80 mph, carefully looking for signs of vibrations. The steering wheel definitely is almost vibration-free. I started noticing the gas pedal vibration at 60 and grew worse as I reached 80. The vibration is happeniing while I am cruising and not touching the brakes.

my thoughts are:
1. the wheels/tires combo could be defective. If this is the case, I am not too worried as I am awaiting for a new set of BBs wheels and Goodyear tires in a week or two.
2. could I have warped rotors? But then, the vibration happens even when I am not touching the brakes
3. driveshaft imbalance
Ads by Google
Old 03-09-2004, 02:28 PM

anybody?
Old 03-09-2004, 08:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i/6sp
Don't know if this helps but my son had a steering wheel vibration in his 1999 328 that would occur after repeated braking, then gradually go away as the brakes cooled. Turned out it was a seized piston in one front caliper.

Steve D
Old 03-10-2004, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: 540i 6spd
There's only 1 Dave Z.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:22 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to DZeckhausen
Mein Auto: 2012 BMW F30 328i 8-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jun
As a recap, I installed my Axxis deluxe plus pads last Saturday. I have an ongoing problem with vibrating steering wheel and vibrating gas pedal since I got my car new last October. The car now has 5050 miles in it. I have taken my car to 2 dealers. The first dealer rebalanced all wheels the first time I took my car to them for servicing. That didn't do any good. The next time I took it back, they replaced all tires. That didn't do any good. I then took my car to another dealer where they rebalanced the wheels again. The vibration in the steeering wheel and the pedal improved a little bit, but, it is still definitely there.

Last Saturday, I installed a set of Axxis deluxe plus pads. I was surprised to notice that my steering wheel shimmy went away after installing the pads. The gas pedal vibration is still noticeable though. I've driven the car up to 80 mph for about 60 miles Saturday and Sunday. When I got home today(I didn't drive the car today), I retorqued the wheels to 88 ft/lbs and made sure that the tires are inflated properly(33/f and 37/r). I then took the car for a highway drive. I drove between 60 and 80 mph, carefully looking for signs of vibrations. The steering wheel definitely is almost vibration-free. I started noticing the gas pedal vibration at 60 and grew worse as I reached 80. The vibration is happeniing while I am cruising and not touching the brakes.

my thoughts are:
1. the wheels/tires combo could be defective. If this is the case, I am not too worried as I am awaiting for a new set of BBs wheels and Goodyear tires in a week or two.
2. could I have warped rotors? But then, the vibration happens even when I am not touching the brakes
3. driveshaft imbalance
I think you may have had had several things going on at the same time, which is making it harder to diagnose your problems. Did the steering wheel vibration, which occurred prior to the installation of the brake pads, only happen under braking? Or did it happen WITHOUT touching the brakes?

I suggest you wait until the BBS wheels arrive before spending any money on diagnostics. If the BBS wheels make the problem go away (or reduce it), then it's time to take your factory wheels and tires to a tire shop with a road force balancer like the Hunter GSP9700 to find the root cause and to try to get some compensation from your dealer. See Tire Rack's explanation of why they use this system: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...uniformity.htm

Then you can use this tool to find a shop near you with one: http://128.242.141.111/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm

------
2012 BMW F30 328i Luxury Line 8-Speed
StopTech 4-wheel big brake upgrade

2001 BMW E39 540i 6-Speed (Traded-in for F30)
StopTech 4-wheel big brake upgrade
M5 Limited Slip Differential, Front Swaybar
Dinan Stage 3 Suspension, Strut Tower Brace
Rogue Short Shifter, Transmission Mounts
European Dash Conversion
CDV deleted
Old 03-11-2004, 06:29 AM

Dave,

Thanks for responding to this.

Even when I first got the car, the steering wheel vibration and gas pedal vibration happen when I am cruising and not touching the brakes.

Tirerack told me that the wheels are being shipped from their Indiana location to their Delaware site and then shipped to me in MD. I'll install the BBS and see what happens next. If it is still the same, i am going to put back the OEM pads and the OEM wheels. I have made an appointment with a dealer on 3/22.

I hope that this is a wheel issue. I am getting tired of bringing my car to the dealer for the same problem.