Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 06-09-2011, 07:28 AM

Mein Auto: everyone up the wall
BMW Museum or bumming around Munich?

I didn’t realize that the BMW Museum is closed on Mondays and I chose a Monday delivery – June 20th, 11 days away. I have my delivery at 9:10 am and a reservation for the 11:30 am English plant tour. Monday night we are staying in Berchtesgaden, so visiting the museum on Tuesday is out. I am flying into Munich on Saturday around noon and be in Munich all day Sunday. What I’m looking for is opinions on whether I should head over to the Welt on Sunday just to take in the museum or just see the sites in Munich and skip the museum.
Thanks,
jeeter
Ads by Google
Old 06-09-2011, 08:02 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: Fünfer und Dreier
The BMW Museum is definitely worthwhile.

Here is a link to an article with other museums you might visit on Sunday as well. If you go to the second page of the article, at the bottom there is a virtual tour of the BMW Museum.

F10 2014 535d M Sport Mondstein Metallic
F10 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 Azuritschwarz Metallic
MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Old 06-09-2011, 08:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 M5 (ED on order)
As good as the museum can be, it won't beat spending your only day exploring Munich, which is a great city. I think you will have much more fun hopping from beer garden to another than at the museum unless you do not drink.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:29 AM
Omnia in modum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
It's worth spending some time on Sunday to see the museum - won't take all day. Don't miss the view of the Welt from Olympic Park.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 06-09-2011, 09:47 AM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
We spent about 2.5 hours at the Museum including browsing the Museum Shop but we had a deadline. Three hours would have been about right for me. This was apparently a lot slower than others because we got passed by a lot of people who strolled through like they were window shopping. When we do museums we like to see and learn it all.

If you're a BMW enthusiast then the Museum is a must-see. If you're more interested in history, architecture, and art, or just local culture, then skip the Museum and see more of Munich.

Do you plan on doing another ED? If so, pick one and leave the other for next time.

ETA: If you've never seen a modern production plant, or just want to see BMWs built then do the plant tour. If you've seen automated plants before, skip the tour and spend the time at the Museum. This isn't BMW's best plant tour and you won't see final assembly. For a really good BMW Plant Tour, do Dingolfing or Regensburg. Or do the Mercedes-Benz or Porsche plant tours. They're all better than the Munich Plant Tour.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Last edited by SD Z4MR; 06-09-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: BMW X5 4.4
If you want to bum around Munich after a trip to the BMW Museum, try the Deutsches Transport Museum by the Oktoberfest grounds or the Deutsches Airplane Museum. You could also drive around the city and hit up all the unusual car dealers. In my book, I covered the Munich race team a-workx (owned by Nico Wieth - who's father made history when he built a Ferrari 550 race car) or try going to the local Wiesmann dealer.

If that isn't enough, a local restaurant called Alter Wirt in Forstenried has some very cool Auto Union stuff..and traditional Bavarian fare.

I've got a lot more too..all linked below to my German travel guidebook!
Old 06-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i Convertible
I would def. check out the BMW Museum. They have a lot of historic BMWs plus the art cars. The Welt & museum are right next to the S2 line so you can be in Marienplatz in 15 min after you are done to walk Munich. Many of Munich's sights are walking dist from there.

ED P/U: 5/31/11
On Cargo Ship "Elektra": 6/15/11
Somewhere in NJ: 6/29/11
Redelivery: 7/14/11
Old 06-09-2011, 07:04 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound Passer View Post
I would def. check out the BMW Museum. They have a lot of historic BMWs plus the art cars. The Welt & museum are right next to the S2 line so you can be in Marienplatz in 15 min after you are done to walk Munich. Many of Munich's sights are walking dist from there.
We were quite pleased that the BMW Art Car Exhibit was running at the BMW Museum when were were there. A major disappointment was that Dean Koons' car wasn't there until I realized that it's currently actively racing! This is a special exhibition and runs through 25 September 2011.

Andy Warhol's hand-painted M1, one of the most famous Art Cars:
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 06-10-2011, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: everyone up the wall
Well, it looks like the museum is in for Sunday. I got an email from Welt-info that gave me the hours and said I should receive free adminision since I am taking deilvery the next day. It will be a good practice run too, since we have to check in at the Welt at 7:40 on Monday morning with all our luggage.

Thanks for all the advice. Now I have to figure out exactly what U-bahn/S-bahn tickets to get. The 3day, multiperson for the A zone looks right but I still need to get in town from the airport.

jeeter