Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > 6 Series DIY

6 Series DIY
6 Series Do It Yourself (DIY) forum.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:32 PM

Mein Auto: 3 series
645 Convertible Top Problem

I am having problems with my convertible top on my 645. It will not go up or down. The red light flshes on and off. On my dash, it states that the top is not closed, but it is closed.
Damsel in distress. Please help.
Ads by Google
Old 06-09-2011, 04:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 650i Coupe
Welcome to the board.

Is the space for the top in the trunk in the open position?
There is a little handle on the right to pull it down and out. It folds up to give more trunk space but needs to be down to hold the top.

Last edited by TxTaz; 06-09-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:53 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
Check this out, probably the same issue I had and many others.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ht=convertible
Old 06-23-2011, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 645ci
Be sure there are no obstructions in the way of the top box. My briefcase was slightly wedged in there and was causing the error message.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: 645ci convertible
I had the same problem as well, i brought it to the dealer they have checked and wanted me to replace the whole top, i said **** that so brought back home and when summer came around it started to work on itself so i found out that the only reason why it did that its because during the winter u don't open and it freezes... Keep tryin' cause i was tryin' everyday until it worked!
Old 04-20-2012, 10:18 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 645ci
On the back seat driver side there is a black box with to wires on the soft top u cud side by the back window pull the soft top a lil touch the wire and the back window will go down and the red light will go a away u need to change that it's like a switch for the back window and the trunk won't open cuz off that
Old 07-20-2012, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645CI
BMW 645ci Convertible top problem

ON the back seat drivers side wiggle around the wires on the roof soft top in the back seat. THANKS TO Aj645ci. IT WORKS(FOR NOW)
Old 07-20-2012, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645CI
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj645ci View Post
on the back seat driver side there is a black box with to wires on the soft top u cud side by the back window pull the soft top a lil touch the wire and the back window will go down and the red light will go a away u need to change that it's like a switch for the back window and the trunk won't open cuz off that
this worked))))
Old 07-31-2012, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645 Vert
The greatest

Heyyyyy a j645....the wiggle of the cord works thanks god cause I was gonna take it to the dealer and waste 300 bucks I will wiggle the wire for now.......Good looking Aj.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj645ci View Post
On the back seat driver side there is a black box with to wires on the soft top u cud side by the back window pull the soft top a lil touch the wire and the back window will go down and the red light will go a away u need to change that it's like a switch for the back window and the trunk won't open cuz off that
Old 07-31-2012, 07:32 PM

Blinkin light

Hey is there a DIY method to the blinking light on the side of the knob witch turn on the head lights? And what cause the light to blink? the headlights seem to be working perfect.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
Could be that a bulb is about to go out

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 08-01-2012, 07:14 PM

Thanks

Oh ok will just have to wait and see cause some people on here saids it's a module problem of some sort and could cost up to 2000 to fix......I hope this is not the case??
Old 04-30-2013, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645ci
05 645 Convertible Top Problems

I have a 05 645 convertible with 48K miles. I've been having the recurring problem with the drop top as described below. Has anyone had any luck getting any relief from BMW for cars that are out of warranty? It seems to me that this problem is fairly widespread and BMW should step up and take care of the problem for it's loyal customers.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:48 PM

you're probably not going to get any help from the dealer or BMW on the 2005. Even though there is a TSB and they probably should have done a recall, I don't expect that they will.

Best bet is to keep relying on the famous (and now legendary) "Boesman fix" - if it gets really bad or multiple problems, you might be able to talk a dealer service manager into giving you some sort of discount (or maybe goodwill the sensors/parts for free as a long shot).

I've been fortunate and Global has fixed my top a couple of times and covered it under CPO (only $50 deductible).

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 05-04-2013, 05:08 AM

Mein Auto: 645ci
I have the same prob. Flashing red light. As far as I can tell the hydraulics are not locking the back cover. If you can pull it up by hand that is the case. If any one out there knows how to get the system to lock please let me know.hopefully this will complete the cycle and the red light will stop flashing and will be ready to put the top up again.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 645ci
Convertible Top

After countless occurrences of the mysterious "convertible top not locked" warning, I called my service adviser at Global Imports in Atlanta. He indicated that this is common problem, particularly in pre 2008 models. The solution is to replace the "angle of rotation sensor" and recalibrate / realign the top. This fix cost $360 and so far seems to have done the trick. We'll see what happens when the weather gets hot. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: 645ci
convertible top

Thanks for the info on the top,I appriciate. I have taken out the inner lining out of the trunk so I can put my hand in to push the locking cam forward to lock the tunnel cover . Now to recalibrate hummmmm wil have to do some more looking around on how to do that.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpayne71 View Post
After countless occurrences of the mysterious "convertible top not locked" warning, I called my service adviser at Global Imports in Atlanta. He indicated that this is common problem, particularly in pre 2008 models. The solution is to replace the "angle of rotation sensor" and recalibrate / realign the top. This fix cost $360 and so far seems to have done the trick. We'll see what happens when the weather gets hot. I'll keep you all posted.
Yes - Global has fixed the same error on my top a couple of times over the last 2.5 years (fortunately covered under CPO). They do a good job.