Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: 745Li
Overheating, boiling coolant

Car: 2002/2003 745Li
I had the water pump replaced at a local garage after the bearings failed in the water pump. I have had huge problem since then. I have massive coolant leaks now.

They have discovered a pin hole on the coolant reservoir. A new unit has been ordered in and the pin hole has been patched up for the time being. I initially thought the leak is all from the pin hole. Now I realise I have more problems than a pin hole.

I just refilled the coolant to the max level. Turned the engine on for about 5 minutes while the cap is not closed, suddenly some huger bubbles coming out from the reservoir, resulting a large amount (half to one litre) of coolant coming out of the reservoir.

Is this because the coolant boiled after 5 minutes? Or was there some air pocket in the cooling system? Or the coolant circulation is not happening?

The coolant may had small leak before the water pump was replaced (probably through the common weep hole issue). The mechanic replaced water pump, the pulley, the belt, and the small hose connecting to the generator.

I have a funny feeling that the mechanic may not be familiar with this car, either did not follow some procedure when replacing the pump, or may be he 'stuffed' up some coolant circulation?

Help!

Last edited by Silent_dog; 06-09-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 06-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 760Li
the cap should always be on the coolant unless you are trying to get air out of the system! I'd have a mechanic that know what they are doing check it out; a pin hole leak? Sounds like someone put a hole in the tank on purpose or by accident when doing other work...
Old 06-09-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmeance View Post
... Sounds like someone put a hole in the tank on purpose or by accident when doing other work...
I thought about this. However there is no way to prove this is the case. I rather to think they are not that evil.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:59 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw E64/5, Maserati GT
Pinhole is common on our tanks. My dads 650 got pinhole in tank a couple months ago

650i sport hud ac schnitzer eibach resognator delete m6 quads akebonos
Old 06-10-2011, 06:19 AM

Mein Auto: E66 2008 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_dog View Post
I just refilled the coolant to the max level. Turned the engine on for about 5 minutes while the cap is not closed, suddenly some huger bubbles coming out from the reservoir, resulting a large amount (half to one litre) of coolant coming out of the reservoir.

Is this because the coolant boiled after 5 minutes? Or was there some air pocket in the cooling system? Or the coolant circulation is not happening?
Help!
Yes, definitely. Could have been some air in the system as well, but leaving the cap off for 5 minutes with the engine running will cause the coolant to heat up and overflow whether there is air in the system or not.

Always check the coolant level when the engine is cool, preferably after an overnight rest.

While you are having overheating problems it is very helpful to know the temperature of the coolant with more precision than the needle gauge on the cluster shows. If you haven't done this before, read this thread http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...66&postcount=5 on how to unlock the OBC in your cluster. After you've unlocked it, test #7 will show you the coolant temperature in Celsius.

E66 2008 750Li
E38 1997 740iL retired
Old 06-11-2011, 01:24 AM

Nightmare is reality. I now have huge leak through the weep hole. This should have contributed to the overheating issue, well, at least partially.

What I need now is a cooling pipe fix kit. I am wondering if there is anyone in Australia carries the ALLGERMANAUTO kit or a similar kit.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:45 AM

Mein Auto: Many things
If the pump was just changed and the system was not bled properly then it sounds like normal behavior....additionally as mentioned the overflow tank on those was a known issue, as is the weep hole problem.