Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 06-11-2011, 06:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: mazdaspeed3
Looking for opinions...

So a few of you have seen me around here talking about my plans to order a x3 35 m sport next month but I'll take the rest of you through my situation anyway...

Starting a new job next month and can't find a place we like to move yet putting my commute at 86miles highway one-way...

I'm a doc so there is no such thing as a snow day and while we plan on moving closer by winter best case scenario my commute will be about 40miles one way- I need a vehicle capable of man-handling mid-atlantic snow/ice winters. The caveat is I really want something with great gas mileage and balls. The 35i engine satisfies all those needs and the xdrive with winter tires I imagine will be a beast in bad weather...

My uncle who owns gt3rs, Porsche cup car, Audi s5, a6 and a bluteck diesel Mercedes thinks I should scrap the x3 and just buy teched out American car (or Audi - big surprise he's an Audi fanboy- I'm not at all) to beat up and run miles up on until my commute gets shorter so I don't depreciate the crap out of it... I am a BMW fanatic and have had to give up my old 330i zhp to survive residency financially so I'm joshing badly to get back behind the wheel of a BMW... Hopefully a 135 next summer to replace the speed3 for summer car...

What do you all think/ what would you do - keep in mind I'm the least patient person ever

Thanks guys!
Ads by Google
Old 06-11-2011, 07:01 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Hey, thats easy -- a Subie WRX STI would handle your need for speed with great mileage just fine and still leave enough $$ left over to make a dent on those student loans and save a bit for the 128. If you really have to have a german car, then perhaps one of the new 45 mpg VW TDI's would fill the bill. Again, about half the price of the bimmer and vastly better mileage for your daily long trips.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:06 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
The depreciation doesn't really matter unless you intend to sell the car within a few years.

That said, I don't think the X3 is the best car for the job. Get a Golf TDI and rack up those miles. Otherwise there are plenty of good American SUVs that get better fuel consumption, still have great power, and cost a LOT less than the X3. For the winter, just spend $1k for an extra set of wheels/tires that will actually make more of a difference than just plan all-wheel drive.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:22 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Cactus
Mein Auto: 2011 X3 2.8i
You could go with a BMW 335d. Option it out the way you want and then get a set of winter tires and wheels.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:38 AM

Mein Auto: 335d, WRX, 325is, Eurovan
I'll second the 335d suggestion. I own one, and hands-down it's a perfect long-haul commuter vehicle. Not to say 425+ lbs/ft of torque isn't also great to have around town, but on the highway 40 mpg combined with incredible passing/merging performance is unlike anything else you can buy right now.

And unless you regularly need to drive through long stretches of deep unplowed snow, a set of good winter tires will get you through anything you'd normally run across in the mid-Atlantic area. Other advantages to the "d" include the likelihood of better resale value since it's a diesel, you get a real dipstick(!) and diesel fuel is now less then premium in most areas. My guess is that if go test drive a 335d it'll make it an easy decision.

Good luck with whatever you decide...

Graham

2012 328xiT
M-Sport/Manual/iDrive-free
Old 06-11-2011, 12:20 PM

Mein Auto: 335i Coupe
The X3 might be a better option if you insist on BMw, have kids (not just one kid... kids) and/or you like to haul stuff around a lot. Otherwise, I agree that the 335d is a great option except that it doesn't come in AWD. I have a 335i coupe (rear wheel drive) and it gets along just fine in the mid-atlantic winter with dedicated winter tires unless the snow is too high or the road is completely icy. Depending on how much power you want you might just take your uncle up on his suggestion and look at the A3 TDI although I don't think it comes with quattro.

On the American side, both the new Explorer and the new Grand Cherokee have been getting some positive press.

2008 335i Coupe|Sparkling Graphite|Black Dakota|Dark Burl Walnut
2011 X3 35i M Sport|Carbon Black|Black Nevada|Brushed Aluminum
Old 06-12-2011, 04:04 AM

Mein Auto: (soon to be '11 X3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Hey, thats easy -- a Subie WRX STI would handle your need for speed with great mileage just fine and still leave enough $$ left over to make a dent on those student loans and save a bit for the 128. If you really have to have a german car, then perhaps one of the new 45 mpg VW TDI's would fill the bill. Again, about half the price of the bimmer and vastly better mileage for your daily long trips.
+1 on the STI. I've gotten dinged a little here for being a subie fan boy (I am but I also love my bimmer) I have one of those in addition to the X and can tell you that flat out the STI is the most fun you will ever have driving a vehicle. (Except for maybe a mitsu EVO) The STI can do things that no Bimmer can do and maxed out its only 40K...that's maxed out. The STI's AWD system is far superior to X-drive so winter driving is a joke with winter tires...in fact when it snows it's actually more fun. And you can get it in a hatch so it's still hauling friendly and can operate within the realm of supporting family activities. (assuming you are not driving the family around like a rally team)

Now that being said...I agree with the Golf TDI option too b/c on the highway it will get way better gas mileage than the X or STI.

But...here's the kicker... if I could only drive one vechicle it would be my X...I just love this thing...as fun as the STI is the X3 is just amazing to drive...it's comfortable and luxurious and fun at the same time. The STI can lack on the luxurious side obviously...although comfort is fine.

If you HAVE to have a bimmer then I think what the others said about a 335D is a great idea too...granted it will cost you a bit more than some of the other options. Personally...I would have waited a year to buy my X3 if I thought that they were bringing a diesel option to the united states but I'm guessing that may take more time....I think if they have the 3.0D or 35D in the US it would be the perfect vehicle for you.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:02 PM

Wow thanks for all the replies guys. I was out of town all weekend and haven't had time to properly respond. We got home late so I'll reply a lot more tomorrow...

In the meantime I guess when I say I need a snow beast I mean something with some ground clearance. These last two winter in the mid-Atlantic (MD) have produced at least one storm that plows either gave up or got stuck. THATS the stuff I need insurance against because when everyone else can stay home and be warm I'm mandated to get to the hospital for my shift regardless - best case I'm trucking 40mi through nealrly impassable **** come he'll or high water. I'm sure the sti and all those quattros are beasts but when the snows above the ground clearance...

The only reason I didn't get into trouble these last two winters was my wifes rx300 with snows got me the 37 miles to my current job during the blizzard of 2010 and her 2011 sorento with snows got me there this year. My speed3 with snows did well but could not conquer the deep snow with ease like the SUVs...

Mole- you hit the nail right on the head- if there was an x3 35d or 30d this thread would not even exist - that would be my ultimate combo (bet u they have one next year that would really really piss me off)...

More thoughts on some of the vehicles mentioned above tomorrow...

P.s. I test drove my friends x5 35d over the weekend and fell in love - what a beast! Not sure I believe him when he says he gets real world 30mpg highway... More food for thought I guess but really more $ than I want to/should spend

Last edited by h0mersimps0n; 06-12-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:43 AM

Homer, check over on the X5 board here about the X5D. Lots of folks like it, but 30 mpg seems like down hill with a tailwind. More in the low to mid 20's according to the various posts. Also, there have been some reported problems with the urea injection system in those engines too. All in all though, seems like a great engine. For the life of me I can't understand why BMW put the diesel in the 3 series and not the 5 series. Just seems like it was the wrong spot. M-B put their diesel in the E class (along with the ML, GL and R) which seems to me to be the "right" spot. Oh well, good luck!

Last edited by UncleJ; 06-13-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:31 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0mersimps0n View Post
Wow thanks for all the replies guys. I was out of town all weekend and haven't had time to properly respond. We got home late so I'll reply a lot more tomorrow...

In the meantime I guess when I say I need a snow beast I mean something with some ground clearance. These last two winter in the mid-Atlantic (MD) have produced at least one storm that plows either gave up or got stuck. THATS the stuff I need insurance against because when everyone else can stay home and be warm I'm mandated to get to the hospital for my shift regardless - best case I'm trucking 40mi through nealrly impassable **** come he'll or high water. I'm sure the sti and all those quattros are beasts but when the snows above the ground clearance...

The only reason I didn't get into trouble these last two winters was my wifes rx300 with snows got me the 37 miles to my current job during the blizzard of 2010 and her 2011 sorento with snows got me there this year. My speed3 with snows did well but could not conquer the deep snow with ease like the SUVs...

Mole- you hit the nail right on the head- if there was an x3 35d or 30d this thread would not even exist - that would be my ultimate combo (bet u they have one next year that would really really piss me off)...

More thoughts on some of the vehicles mentioned above tomorrow...

P.s. I test drove my friends x5 35d over the weekend and fell in love - what a beast! Not sure I believe him when he says he gets real world 30mpg highway... More food for thought I guess but really more $ than I want to/should spend
I had a X5 35d loaner for 1 day. Granted it was only 1 day, but my X3 commute, where I get around 23 combined I got 27 on the X5 diesel. So 30 mpg highway should be achievable, but constant highway, probably cruising at 65 - 75.

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 06-13-2011, 09:13 PM

So I looked at the WRX STI and EVO online which I've heard do extremely well in snow- neither beats 23mpg highway. The X3 has that beat.

I looked over all the VW models, the GTI is definitely out- too small.

If the tiguan was offered up with one of VW's TDI engine's that would be strong in the running but in looking at gallery photos of the interior I got nauseated and realized I could never deal with an interior that horrendously ugly.

The 335d is a tempting option, the 335d engine is great no doubt. I'm just not sure it's going to be monster enough to mow down snow piles and I DO have one baby and one dog so hatchback or SUV is also on the top of my list for that reason. The speed3 was my first hatch and I LOVE the utility and just pitching the dog in the very back and going places. I remember it being a really big pain worrying about my leather (even with the seat covers) in my 330i's when I had them. Sedan is out pretty much. Also the lack of AWD in the 335d is another nail in the coffin.

The X5 35d is definitely an impressive option just don't know if I'm ready to make that financial leap.

So, the X3d arrives when?

Last edited by h0mersimps0n; 06-13-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:35 AM

Quote:
So I looked at the WRX STI and EVO online which I've heard do extremely well in snow- neither beats 23mpg highway. The X3 has that beat.

I looked over all the VW models, the GTI is definitely out- too small.

If the tiguan was offered up with one of VW's TDI engine's that would be strong in the running but in looking at gallery photos of the interior I got nauseated and realized I could never deal with an interior that horrendously ugly.

The 335d is a tempting option, the 335d engine is great no doubt. I'm just not sure it's going to be monster enough to mow down snow piles and I DO have one baby and one dog so hatchback or SUV is also on the top of my list for that reason. The speed3 was my first hatch and I LOVE the utility and just pitching the dog in the very back and going places. I remember it being a really big pain worrying about my leather (even with the seat covers) in my 330i's when I had them. Sedan is out pretty much. Also the lack of AWD in the 335d is another nail in the coffin.

The X5 35d is definitely an impressive option just don't know if I'm ready to make that financial leap.

So, the X3d arrives when?
Yea i should ahve stated that "real world" on an STI will never get you over 25 on the highway..I mean I think it's capable of it assuming you never stomp the gas which is nearly impossible in that vehicle!

God knows when they are dropping the D here in the US version of the X3..I was really disappointed when it wasn't offered year 1 b/c I really wanted one. Hey how about this as another suggestion...and it's completely in another direction...if you want a best in the snow with high ground clearance that's a good family hauler with +30 MPG on the highway, what about a subaru Outback?? Seriously...I mean it's not a performance machine though...just to really set expectation.

The recent model will do more than 30MPG on highway (its rated at 29 but it gets more than that trust me...2 friends own one). It has 8.9 inches of clearance (or 8.7..can't remember) which is more than X3. More room than an X3 in both passenger and cargo space...and it's a beast in the snow...I have owned 2 outbacks.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i xDrive
Quote:
Starting a new job next month and can't find a place we like to move yet putting my commute at 86miles highway one-way...
So i think you really need to figure out how long you are going to be commuting 172 miles a day. You do realize that this would be over 40K miles a year if you commuted 5 days a week. Add in some time driving around on the weekend and you could put on 50K miles in one year. If this is a very temporary arrangement, then get what you like best. If you think this could continue for a year or two then i think you really need to look hard at getting a cheap commuter car that you can assume you are going to kill in about two years time (100K miles). I mean, get two cars if you want something nice as well. If you got an X3/X5 plus a used VW TDI, the money you saved in depreciation on the X3/X5 would pay for the VW!

My $0.02
Old 06-14-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojglenn View Post
So i think you really need to figure out how long you are going to be commuting 172 miles a day. You do realize that this would be over 40K miles a year if you commuted 5 days a week. Add in some time driving around on the weekend and you could put on 50K miles in one year. If this is a very temporary arrangement, then get what you like best. If you think this could continue for a year or two then i think you really need to look hard at getting a cheap commuter car that you can assume you are going to kill in about two years time (100K miles). I mean, get two cars if you want something nice as well. If you got an X3/X5 plus a used VW TDI, the money you saved in depreciation on the X3/X5 would pay for the VW!

My $0.02
Point extremely well taken. I also think this is the point my Uncle is trying to make to me as well. I will be doing the commute approximately 16-17x's/month +/- and hopefully will be moving within 40mile one-way range within the first 2-3 months of having the job. Currently looking for a house to rent that's closer.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojglenn View Post

My $0.02
+1 could not agree more
Old 06-15-2011, 06:18 PM

Let me start by saying I'm so pissed at you guys...

so in an effort to find a less-expensive vehicle to drive up the miles on I test drove a Ford Edge Sport this afternoon. Not a completely ugly cockpit, nice tech package, handling soft, engine screams like it's being tortured when you step on it and worst of all was the horrendous road noise.

SO, I stopped by my closest BMW dealership who happened to have a few 2011 x3 35xdrive's but none with a sport package. SO I thought I'd test drive to see power and handling in the "soft" mode of the non-sport/non-m sport model.

TWO WORDS: "IN LOVE"

Handling was spot on, interior/Nav was awesome, power/engine was perfection, road noise at highway speeds non-existant, fit/feel/finish and overall ride brought back the excitement tingles I used to get when driving my 330i ZHP. I realized I'm not going to be happy, not going to be satisfied unless I'm behind the wheel of a BMW and for my purposes of winter monster the X3 is going to be my baby.

Wish you guys had warned me not to test-drive the X, it's all over but the buying...

Just going to make sure I like my job next month then pull the trigger...

Thanks for the tips guys...
Old 06-16-2011, 12:01 PM

Mein Auto: 335i Coupe
Quote:
Let me start by saying I'm so pissed at you guys...

so in an effort to find a less-expensive vehicle to drive up the miles on I test drove a Ford Edge Sport this afternoon. Not a completely ugly cockpit, nice tech package, handling soft, engine screams like it's being tortured when you step on it and worst of all was the horrendous road noise.

SO, I stopped by my closest BMW dealership who happened to have a few 2011 x3 35xdrive's but none with a sport package. SO I thought I'd test drive to see power and handling in the "soft" mode of the non-sport/non-m sport model.

TWO WORDS: "IN LOVE"

Handling was spot on, interior/Nav was awesome, power/engine was perfection, road noise at highway speeds non-existant, fit/feel/finish and overall ride brought back the excitement tingles I used to get when driving my 330i ZHP. I realized I'm not going to be happy, not going to be satisfied unless I'm behind the wheel of a BMW and for my purposes of winter monster the X3 is going to be my baby.

Wish you guys had warned me not to test-drive the X, it's all over but the buying...

Just going to make sure I like my job next month then pull the trigger...

Thanks for the tips guys...

We definitely should have warned you. My wife wanted to go the Subaru route until I took her and the baby on a test drive on back country roads during a torrential downpour and drove it harder than I do my 335. Sold.

2008 335i Coupe|Sparkling Graphite|Black Dakota|Dark Burl Walnut
2011 X3 35i M Sport|Carbon Black|Black Nevada|Brushed Aluminum
Old 06-16-2011, 02:22 PM

Homer nice call, but remember the OEM warranty is also time and mileage based! It runs out at 50K miles, so you need to be sure and get the extended warranty (maintentance program -- not so much, but your call of course) around 40K miles. You can get this warranty from any authorized BMW dealer -- doesn't have to be the guy you bought from. A lot of the dealers will deal on this so you can expect a better price. Those extended warranties/tire insurance/etc. are huge profit centers for the F&I guy and the dealership! You really should take an WRX STi out for a spin though -- awesome!

Last edited by UncleJ; 06-16-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Homer nice call, but remember the OEM warranty is also time and mileage based! It runs out at 50K miles, so you need to be sure and get the extended warranty (maintentance program -- not so much, but your call of course) around 40K miles. You can get this warranty from any authorized BMW dealer -- doesn't have to be the guy you bought from. A lot of the dealers will deal on this so you can expect a better price. Those extended warranties/tire insurance/etc. are huge profit centers for the F&I guy and the dealership! You really should take an WRX STi out for a spin though -- awesome!
+1 on this....especially the STi piece. I'm lucky enough to own both the X3 and the STi but if I could only have one if would be the X3...seriously....there is only one BMW in the world....nobody makes cars like them...the fit, finish, luxury and performance are second to none.

That being said...you will NEVER have as much fun in any BMW (except for maybe an M3) than you will with an STi. The only car I have had more fun in was the EVO but even that was close. The X3 is just better for all around family and your own fun... only I drive the STi...my wife is completely afraid of it...on another board I posted my wife's one and only drive in my STi...it's not a car that is easy to tame and if you want both you and your wife to drive it you have to have the X3...the STi is a rally car that is legal on the street...so good choice! If you get the ability to add a second then go for the STi and have some fun on the weekends! I'm lucky enough to be able to take mine (STi) around lime rock in CT......long story how..a buddy is friends with guys who race there which means if I go at the right time I get to drive around and have fun. The STi experience on a track is one of the most thrilling things you'll ever do in a vehicle.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:22 PM

and just to add...sorry for flaming a bit.. can you tell I love my STi? This is about your X3 not the rest of our cars, so do NOT doubt your decision one bit...once in love that's it...for real.

I knew within the first 10 minutes of my X3 test drive that I was buying one...I was going to dive 3 or 4 other cars but decided that was it...I had the same experience. The X3 is just such an amzing all around vehicle that who cares about my track experience with the STi or another person's M5 or whatever...if the vehicle is right for you and it just feels right do it man...you won't regret it...you'll only regret not doing it.

As much fun as my STi is, the way the X cruises down the highway and the way it makes me fell driving around is terms of the comfort and luxury are something my Subie can't deliver...the X3 is just so beautiful in and out and underneath...and very unique to any vehicle... enjoy man...this a wonderful time for you when you are ready to order but do not have your car...the anticipation is one of the best parts of this process!!!
Old 06-16-2011, 06:30 PM

cool, thanks guys... X3 is a slam dunk for me.

Definitely going to test drive the STi next summer when it comes time to replace my speed3 for a big boy summer driver.

Something tells me the CPO M3 I have my eye on is going to win out too
Old 06-16-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
cool, thanks guys... X3 is a slam dunk for me.

Definitely going to test drive the STi next summer when it comes time to replace my speed3 for a big boy summer driver.

Something tells me the CPO M3 I have my eye on is going to win out too
Awesome man congrats!!

CPO M3 is awesome too...however realize buying the STi is for a different reason...the M3 is a beast but the STi is the beast master. Check out the link below for an explanation of the STi AWD system...it's rediculous and not the same animal as anything you've probably ever driven....in the beginning it's actually a bit scary b/c the car allows you to do some stuff you thought not possible in other vehicles.. for example... in the winter I put winter tires on and let the STi do it's thing...to be able to drive on snow packed roads more agressively than most people drive on dry pavement is eye opening...

Congrats man and let us know when you put the order in.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/sti-tr...explained.html
Old 06-23-2011, 02:35 PM

Mein Auto: toronto
I drive 80 miles per day, 7 days a week. I chose the BMW 11X3 for the reason that I am in the road everyday and for several hours. So in this light I can enjoy the grueling daily commute with this luxurious car. When you use it more you enjoy it more and when you enjoy it more then the amount you paid will be worth it. Hey, if you can buy an expensive car that will amount 60 grand...gas is the least of your concern.You buy a car to drive not to park it. Regardless if you get a junk car..you still pay for gas and a difference of few hundred bucks will not make you poor. If you are still worried about mileage, teh get a 2nd car and drive 50/50.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: X3
great choice for sure! my wife is a pharmacist so hell or high water people need their narcs! we've been awd only for the past 10 years and have 1 audi and 1 bmw currently.

both are super capable in adverse weather but remember awd doesn't ensure u'll have a safer commute.

seems ur also looking at sport packages so be sure in the winter u get a set of winter tires. otherwise whats the point of paying premium for awd when ur running summer or all seasons that don't function as well below 40 degree temps.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:13 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by blndfayth View Post
great choice for sure! my wife is a pharmacist so hell or high water people need their narcs! we've been awd only for the past 10 years and have 1 audi and 1 bmw currently.

both are super capable in adverse weather but remember awd doesn't ensure u'll have a safer commute.

seems ur also looking at sport packages so be sure in the winter u get a set of winter tires. otherwise whats the point of paying premium for awd when ur running summer or all seasons that don't function as well below 40 degree temps.
My Michelin Primacy All Seasons have been great in NH winters. Lots of snow and temps to 30 below!

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!