Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-10-2004, 10:25 AM
chrisflipmd chrisflipmd is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Jacksonville, FL
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 12
Send a message via AIM to chrisflipmd
Mein Auto: BMW 330ci
CD Changer Pre Wired?

I have a 2001 X5 4.4i, non-navigation, DSP radio with an in-dash business CD in the front. How can I tell if my X5 is prewired for a CD Changer in the trunk as well? Which wires would confirm this? Are all X5s prewired for a CD Changer?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 03-10-2004, 12:44 PM
Emission's Avatar
Emission Emission is offline
Automotive Monomaniac
Location: North of Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,692
Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Welcome to Bimmerfest!

I am pretty sure ALL X5's are prewired for phone and CD-changer.

Check the left rear panel in your cargo area wall. You'll find a bunch of wiring harnesses - most likely identified too. The 6-changer bolts in.
__________________
I am fortunate to have unique press cars delivered weekly, but I own:

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT


Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-10-2004, 09:31 PM
AndDown's Avatar
AndDown AndDown is offline
just copacetic!!!
Location: Redlands CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,136
Mein Auto: 2013 328i, 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisflipmd
I have a 2001 X5 4.4i, non-navigation, DSP radio with an in-dash business CD in the front. How can I tell if my X5 is prewired for a CD Changer in the trunk as well? Which wires would confirm this? Are all X5s prewired for a CD Changer?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
My 2001 X5 came pre-wired for the changer, but not the mounting brackets. Took me about 30 - 40 minutes to install. The wire connector is bundled up with a bunch of other cables wrapped with the felt-like tape. Look for a 3-pin power and I-bus connector. Since you also have the DSP, you will also need to connect the single coax digital audio cable to the changer. Do a search on this board or on the roadfly X5 board for installation tips.
__________________
Dan
'03 325i OrBlu, MT, PP, SP
'01 X5 3.0 AlpWhite, AT, SP, CP
'89 325i Bronz, AT(retired)
'02 325i StlGrey, AT, PP, SP
'13 328i AlpWhite, AT8, Xenon, HK
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-11-2004, 11:11 AM
chrisflipmd chrisflipmd is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Jacksonville, FL
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 12
Send a message via AIM to chrisflipmd
Mein Auto: BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDown
My 2001 X5 came pre-wired for the changer, but not the mounting brackets. Took me about 30 - 40 minutes to install. The wire connector is bundled up with a bunch of other cables wrapped with the felt-like tape. Look for a 3-pin power and I-bus connector. Since you also have the DSP, you will also need to connect the single coax digital audio cable to the changer. Do a search on this board or on the roadfly X5 board for installation tips.
I think I found the coax and 3 pin power cable. Here's a picture of what I found. Can anyone confirm this? Btw, thanks for the nice welcome! I think I see the coax and power cable.



Thanks,
Chris
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-11-2004, 12:09 PM
swindonhost's Avatar
swindonhost swindonhost is offline
PR02ZAC do u need a lift
Location: UK
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 197
Send a message via Skype™ to swindonhost
Mein Auto: X5 2003 3.0D / others mad
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisflipmd
I think I found the coax and 3 pin power cable. Here's a picture of what I found. Can anyone confirm this? Btw, thanks for the nice welcome! I think I see the coax and power cable.



Thanks,
Chris

The blue connector with the white over clip is for the voice control module.

(nice pic)
Jon
__________________
1990-1998 E30 320 SE 215,000 MILES NO RATTLES
1998-1999 NISSAN 300zx Twin Turbo
2000-2003 E46 330 Se 4 Door Saloon, Xenon,Leather,Radio Nav, Voice, Split Fold, Phone, Step
2003- X5, 3.0D All options except, Adjustable rear seats and moving cargo platform.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-12-2004, 01:56 PM
SupraRZ SupraRZ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Irvine CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 319
Mein Auto: Depends on my mood.
You can pay $450 for a OEM CD changer (alpine)

Or

You can pay $175 + $75 for wiring harness for an alpine CD changer that fits in the same slot

But yeah the install takes about 30 minutes, I would have done it myself but the stereo shop offered to install for freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
__________________
'04 A4 1.8T Quattro 6-sp ::Sold::
'03 X5 4.4i Blk/Blk ::Sold::
'94 Supra Twin Turbo ::Sold::
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms