Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: s54 roadster
German Fest and a Big Eraser

I was all excited for the German Fest car show just south of the mpls. area. The weather was going to be perfect, low 70's and no rain. I had it all planned out. Its been busy at work and I always wanted to have the car detailed by a shop so why not. Picked it up thursday evening,just shined. No swirl marks just pure black sapphire metalic like a mirror. So far so good. Now the show is located over 200 miles away but the drive is part of the fun.What to do about bugs on the way down? Ok, packed up a few cleaning supplys,just a detail spray to get the road dust off, windex for the glass, some interior cleaner for the dash and boot and some tire shine. Now I like the tire shine for the inside wheel wells not so much for the tires. It will take about 3-1/4 hours to drive-mmm stop 2 blocks away and give the car a once over,ot twice. Come-on its a car show,you want it to look nice,right? 2 over night bags,the boot, cleaning supplys an inflatable bed,air pump and mattress pad all in the trunk of the z. Up at 4:45,on the rode an hour later.I told you I was excited!!! Great ride down,Stop a couple of blocks from the show and get to work. Empty trunk to get out cleaning supplies. Not to many bugs,alot of dust,wife working on the wheels, detail sprays working sweet. Tire shine on wheel wells,ok maybe a light coat on the tires. One more time over the car with detail spray and were done -EXCEPT- Do you have any idea what tire shine does to your clean shiny paint?? I don't mean just a little. Like spraying half the car and then as you start wiping it off and its smearing you realize your excitement has been replaced by pure panic!!! yep, Youv'e GOT to be kidding I yelled,as my wife says,about what? Thats one mistake even a big eraser could'nt fix.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: 08 Z4 3.0si,11 128Msport
Yuppers, that could ruin a perfectly good clean car for a show...hope you got it all sorted out by the time everyone arrived. I will have to watch for this one myself now...and now that you have made us all aware of it, it'll happen to someone LOL...hope it all worked out.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
So...what you are saying is NOT to drive with the tire shine still wet! Experienced that myself. Luckily, I live 1 block from a car wash, and was able to quickly wash the stuff off, drive home and ensure no major issue was had. But yes, good to note that we all need to be more careful sometimes!
Old 06-14-2011, 07:01 PM

Mein Auto: 08 Z4 3.0si,11 128Msport
So what DID happen up there in 10,000 Lakes?? You left us all hanging...use a spray on wash of some sort? BTW I carry the Griot's Spray on Wash in boot and it just plain works great. Just let us know...
Old 06-15-2011, 05:19 PM

Mein Auto: s54 roadster
After I realizied I sprayed on the tire shine instead of the quick shine I took the windex and tried to get it off but to no avail, I went to the show,found a spot under a tree,put the hood up and walked away. I wonder how many chuckles I got at the blue-ish streaks that adorned the car? I always tell the wife when they stop making erasers it will be a perfect world. It took 2 hand washes to get it all off but I can promise you this! It will NEVER happen again!! I can finally laugh about it now cause it was so incredibly stupid on my part.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:54 AM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4MR
Naw, just a good old goof....you got it looking good in the picture.

Best regards

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member