Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E63 / E64 M6 (2006 - 2010)

E63 / E64 M6 (2006 - 2010)

Old 03-02-2011, 12:18 PM
'09 M6 Convertible

Mein Auto: '09 M6
Need some advice using SMG

I just purchased a slightly used 09 M6. I need some advice regarding the SMG transmission. I did read that I should reset the SMG by driving 20+ mph and go into N and hold both paddles for 2+ seconds. Is this correct ?

I have played with the D, and mostly manually shifted in the p400 mode. I did put it into the p500, and surly had much more punch. I played w/ the dampers, but didnít really feel a huge difference.

Can someone give me some advice on how they normally drive their car .

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	downsized950227111446.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	268512  
Ads by Google
Old 03-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 ///M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_video View Post
I just purchased a slightly used 09 M6. I need some advice regarding the SMG transmission. I did read that I should reset the SMG by driving 20+ mph and go into N and hold both paddles for 2+ seconds. Is this correct ?

I have played with the D, and mostly manually shifted in the p400 mode. I did put it into the p500, and surly had much more punch. I played w/ the dampers, but didn't really feel a huge difference.

Can someone give me some advice on how they normally drive their car .

Thanks in advance

To reset, attain the speed between 30 - 90 mph, put the gear selector in neutral and pull the paddles on the steering wheels for 25-30 seconds. After that, move the gear selector towards right so that the transmission picks the appropriate gear.

IMO, best way to smoothly shift is, when up shifting let off the gas for a second (or less), up shift and in that very same motion give it gas. Also, you'll notice your shifts will be much smoother beyond 3500 -4000 RPM because that's when it truly comes alive.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:40 PM
SLAM IT OR GO HOME

Mein Auto: 06 M3 Cab : 04 ZHP Cab
its super simple. I have an SMG in my M3 and i drive my friends M6 all the time. They shift almost the same. WHen you are driving pick the desired RMP where the car isnt too loud but not too low. shift the car and slightly lift up on your gas pedal (curl your toes up). as you do this the clutch will engage and you'll feel the car go in to 2nd gear. then you can mash down or gentle push down on the gas. as you get better at this you will learn to feel the car just like in a manual you would. few days you'll be pro.

**what setting is your shifter in?**

"if you think you wheel fitment is legit think again, get wider wheels and know your offsets"
/stanceworks\
"keep it clean, keep it OEM+"
Old 06-15-2011, 11:15 AM

Send a message via ICQ to JetJockey47
Mein Auto: E63 M6
Setting SMG

Thanks guys ! Reset the SMG today. Just got my 06 M6 last Thursday. Did not know about having to reset. Am devouring the posts on this site trying to pick up as many tips as possible. What exactly happens with SMG when it is reset? Car did not come with owners manual so I've been reading more recent update for 2006 off of BMW website. Would Ebay be best place to find use one at lowest price? Been using the lift technique on upshifting and it is really slick. Downshift seems much smoother where pedal is. Been trying it P500S / DSC on / M Power / Comfort / Normal. Switching over from factory original Perelli's (over 5 yrs old) to new Continental Extreme Contacts. Read allot of good things on TireRack.com. Picked them up from dealer I bought car from and save $150.
Taking into local dealership next week. Getting fault msgs for shocks / seat belt restraint & airbag system / tire pressure system / DSC disengage but not pushing button. Thoughts?