Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-08-2014, 06:58 AM
MatCartmill MatCartmill is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Kingston, ON, Canada
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 292
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328i X-Drive
Preventative Maintenance - Transmission Fluid Change

Hey guys,

I'm considering doing a fluid change on my automatic 2011 328xi. It's at just under 100,000 miles and I've read that this is roughly the time to do the fluid change.

I'm looking at getting this kit:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-328...ion/ES2523894/

However it says it's meant for use with a specific transmission model. How can I find that info?

I've also read some horror stories that came from changing the lifetime fluid. How common are the slippage and damage issue after doing this change?
__________________
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 11-08-2014, 07:54 AM
brewder brewder is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Allentown PA Area
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 754
Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
This is a topic with as many differing views as there are religions. I say change the fluid, and be done with it. If you get into all the debates on pros/cons it can go on forever.

Drop the pan, clean it out, replace the filter, put in new (proper) fluid and don't give it a second thought.
__________________
//Brew...KCCO

('11 E92 328i xDrive - Deep Sea Blue | '07 E92 328xi - Space Gray)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-08-2014, 08:32 AM
MatCartmill MatCartmill is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Kingston, ON, Canada
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 292
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328i X-Drive
Fair enough.

I'm considering doing coils and plugs at the same time, and possibly a new battery.

I figure why not do it all before it gets really cold.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-08-2014, 08:41 AM
brewder brewder is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Allentown PA Area
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 754
Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
Save your money on the coils... don't bother replacing them until they fail. Plugs for sure, but skip the coils until they throw some codes.
__________________
//Brew...KCCO

('11 E92 328i xDrive - Deep Sea Blue | '07 E92 328xi - Space Gray)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-08-2014, 02:47 PM
MatCartmill MatCartmill is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Kingston, ON, Canada
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 292
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328i X-Drive
Preventative Maintenance - Transmission Fluid Change

Hmm okay. I just figured I might as well do it while I'm in there.

Are there any advantages to going with "performance" parts?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-08-2014, 03:50 PM
SilverX3's Avatar
SilverX3 SilverX3 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Australia
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,369
Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Doing sleeve whilst you're replaning fluid
__________________
Residence - StarTrek Enterprise
Job - Captain
Current Starship Fleet:
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-08-2014, 03:50 PM
brewder brewder is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Allentown PA Area
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 754
Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
I'm a big time rookie so I don't know for certain... my research says there is no such thing as performance coils in general... especially when it comes to the 328... the 328 is naturally aspirated (no turbo), so there is almost no performance enhancements we can do that really do anything... So keep your $$, and spend it on preventative items and not so much performance parts.
__________________
//Brew...KCCO

('11 E92 328i xDrive - Deep Sea Blue | '07 E92 328xi - Space Gray)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-08-2014, 04:23 PM
MatCartmill MatCartmill is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Kingston, ON, Canada
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 292
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328i X-Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverX3 View Post
Doing sleeve whilst you're replaning fluid

Silver, this guy?

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-328...nce/ES2739853/

Brewder, I'm a rookie too. There are things my warranty won't cover so I want to start doing some preventative stuff to ensure longer life out of the parts that don't fail before the warranty is up.

I also just want a better understanding of my car, lol.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-08-2014, 04:37 PM
brewder brewder is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Allentown PA Area
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 754
Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatCartmill View Post
Silver, this guy?

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-328...nce/ES2739853/

Brewder, I'm a rookie too. There are things my warranty won't cover so I want to start doing some preventative stuff to ensure longer life out of the parts that don't fail before the warranty is up.

I also just want a better understanding of my car, lol.
yeah buddy. I hear ya.
__________________
//Brew...KCCO

('11 E92 328i xDrive - Deep Sea Blue | '07 E92 328xi - Space Gray)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-08-2014, 08:13 PM
blue boy's Avatar
blue boy blue boy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: south of east
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 381
Mein Auto: 2011 328ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatCartmill View Post
Hey guys,

I'm considering doing a fluid change on my automatic 2011 328xi. It's at just under 100,000 miles and I've read that this is roughly the time to do the fluid change.

I'm looking at getting this kit:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-328...ion/ES2523894/

However it says it's meant for use with a specific transmission model. How can I find that info?

I've also read some horror stories that came from changing the lifetime fluid. How common are the slippage and damage issue after doing this change?
wrong kiit,, you(2011) have the GM tranny GA6L45R. that kit you listed appears to be for 335
change fluid.. no problem,, should have been dont before 40k and then 100k or so.
hopefully the transfer (power divider ) has been changed already,, only hold about 1/2 qt +
need to use German dextron 6 like,,,ie revanol is one i use. let us know how it goes.
__________________
surely goodness and mercy will follow us all the days of our lives

2011 328IX
Ford 150
Gen 3 Prius
Goldwing Trike
Mustang with mods

Last edited by blue boy; 11-08-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-08-2014, 08:23 PM
MatCartmill MatCartmill is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Kingston, ON, Canada
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 292
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328i X-Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue boy View Post
wrong kiit,, you(2011) have the GM tranny GA6L45R. that kit you listed appears to be for 335
change fluid.. no problem,, should have been dont before 40k and then 100k or so.
hopefully the transfer (power divider ) has been changed already,, only hold about 1/2 qt +
need to use German dextron 6 like,,,ie revanol is one i use. let us know how it goes.
Thanks for clearing that up.

This vehicle came with pretty scarce maintenance records, however I doubt the fluid or the transfer has been changed at all.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-09-2014, 06:07 AM
need4speed's Avatar
need4speed need4speed is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Carolina
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,935
Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewder View Post
this is a topic with as many differing views as there are religions. I say change the fluid, and be done with it. If you get into all the debates on pros/cons it can go on forever.

Drop the pan, clean it out, replace the filter, put in new (proper) fluid and don't give it a second thought.
+1
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-09-2014, 06:48 AM
neve1064's Avatar
neve1064 neve1064 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South FL
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 248
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
I have a 2011 328 vert. I changed the oil, dropped the pan, kept the sleeve in there, cleaned the pan, did NOT flush the transmission. The was done at 44k miles. 5k miles later everything is o.k.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms