Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-01-2014, 07:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Looking into getting a 335d possibly

I'm getting rid of my 545i and was in the market for a 335i coupe or sedan, or possibly a 535i as well. The other day while picking up parts at the BMW dealer I came across a 2010 335d in Monaco Blue and it looked amazing. I ended up taking it for a test drive and enjoyed it very much. The only weird thought to me was that it's diesel and I've never owned a diesel before. I've driven diesel pickups before but of course this was different. It seems to be pretty loaded judging by the build sheet and window sticker.

I went back and test drove it again just to be sure about it and I still really liked it. The only issue I could tell from test driving is that the turn signal indicators don't make any noise at all. They flash inside and outside but no noise is present. I thought it was maybe a setting on iDrive or something but neither me or the salesman could figure it out.

So then I asked for the Carfax. It's had 3 owners (red flag?) and was originally a California car. Made its way through the midwest and ended up at my local BMW dealer. There were a couple things I noticed on the Carfax besides the basic maintenance intervals. At 66k the mass air flow sensor was replaced, the cylinder head gasket was replaced and at 66,688 miles it says that the engine compression was checked and then the engine was replaced! Salesman says it was most likely a good will replacement by BMW since it was out of warranty and it does show that it was done at a BMW dealer. Otherwise it is a clean title. I had the sales guy find a more detailed service record and right before they replaced the engine it says a "loose connecting rod" was detected.

On one hand the thought of a engine replacement is kind of positive because its a new engine, but the other part of me thinks what else could go wrong? I'm no stranger to BMW maintenance especially after owning an N62 powered vehicle. What are you guys thoughts? The diesel currently has 88k miles.
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2014, 08:55 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilicboris View Post
.... I had the sales guy find a more detailed service record and right before they replaced the engine it says a "loose connecting rod" was detected.

On one hand the thought of a engine replacement is kind of positive because its a new engine, but the other part of me thinks what else could go wrong? I'm no stranger to BMW maintenance especially after owning an N62 powered vehicle. What are you guys thoughts? The diesel currently has 88k miles.
I'd say you have ~50K miles before you get to a point where carbon build-up might be a problem. Check the diesel sub-forum for other stuff, but... the engines themselves have been solid; only the emissions systems (and CBU) have really been a problem. We love the cars: better than 328i mileage while being almost as fast as a 335i.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: 328xi
My buddy has a 2010 335d and has no issues worth noting (currently at 47k). Solid car, and much more fun than my 328xi (as much as I hate to admit it).
Old 11-03-2014, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Great cars. The carbon build up is an issue between 50-70k. I wouldn't let it scare you off though. N4S
Old 11-03-2014, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335d
I love my car. 55k and no issues right now. Have thrown a few codes but nothing big yet.

Current: 2010 E90 335d - Jet Black, Saddle Brown, premium, cold weather, sport, XM, Navigation, Auto, Sunroof,
Retired: 2000 E46 330ci, Titanium Silver, Sport, Sunroof, Manual
Old 11-05-2014, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: 335D
I just picked up an '11 335D and although I had to bring it back to a dealer for some issues... (long story).... I think it's going to be a good one. Yes, there are plenty of things to watch for, but as mentioned, with good fuel economy and performance just slightly behind a 335i .... it's a pretty good car.

FYI, on my first trip from NC to FL after the purchase, I ran "about" the speed limits which were 60 (Carolina's) to 70 (GA, AL, FL)..... and pulled better than 36 mpg with "enthusiastic" driving.

On the trip I just finished today .... I was showing better than 32 mpg at ... um..... well.... using the speed limit as kind of a guideline. I think as I get a few more miles on it, that will only get better. (The car has sat without being driving for the vast majority of its history).

If it passes a good pre-inspection check, then IMO definitely go for it!!!
Old 11-05-2014, 09:52 PM

Mein Auto: e39, e93
No thanks. BMW has yet to prove to me they can manufacture a reliable turbocharged direct injected diesel engine. I'm not willing to accept a $1500-$2000 carbon build up remediation at 60-100k as reasonable. Add to that the higher cost of diesel over the past several years that negates the 6 mpg advantage and that it can be inconvenient to find high cetane quality diesel that meets BMWs requirements, and I just don't understand the appeal. I'm not against Diesel engines, I own two. One in my sailboat and one in my Isuzu box truck, but those are applications for diesel that make sense and proven reliable designs.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i, 2004 X5 4.4L
Now, when they started to use direct injection in gasoline engines - maybe this will take some load off diesels carbon buildup? Hey maybe nutshell blasting will be part of 60k miles service (not covered by CPO of course ) ?
Old 11-06-2014, 01:44 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Okay, so I'm a bit noobish when it comes to the new generation of BMW engines. I'm assuming most of the issues stem from them being Direct Injection engines?

If so, why do some direct injection engines seem to have less incidences of the need for things like Walnut Blasting, or in other makes, I've heard of them adding oil catch cans?
Old 11-06-2014, 07:55 PM

Mein Auto: e39, e93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porando View Post
Now, when they started to use direct injection in gasoline engines - maybe this will take some load off diesels carbon buildup? Hey maybe nutshell blasting will be part of 60k miles service (not covered by CPO of course ) ?
Not a fan of those either. I ruled out both a new F33 and a used 335i in favor of a normally aspirated 2011 328i E93. Having owned 7 BMW's over the past 34 years and having another 5 in the family, it has become clear to me that while BMW loves cutting edge technology, technology doesn't often return the favor. My '72 2002 was rock solid reliable, my '72 Tii not so much. The car was a blast, but the Kugelfischer injection was needy. After owning an 3.0cs (you try synchronizing twin Zeniths), an M3, a 6 and 7, I stick to 5 series and below normally aspirated 6 cylinder engines and just don't see the service department much. BMW tends to get those right.

I walked away from a 6 year old 750iL in pristine condition with 66k I could have purchased for $16,500.00. I got an adrenaline dump just starting that 12 cylinder engine, but I knew $16,500.00 was only the beginning of what that car would eventually cost. Still hurts to think about, though.

All that said, I will make an exception for a Z08, in case someone was wondering.

Last edited by jigray3; 11-06-2014 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335D
Hey guys, I'm new here, so hello and forgive me for introducing as a n00b into this thread. I'm also a new(er) BMW owner and I have a 2011 335D loaded with everything in it, which I absolutely love to drive except it has had problems. I don't know if it's a lemon, if whoever built it on the assembly line was having a bad day, whether the OEM parts manufacturers were having a bad day, or what. I don't know, but here are the issues I've had with this car.

1. two faulty #2 injectors. each injector required one week of downtime at my BMW dealer to get the injector and for programming, which apparently is dog slow. Not sure why. They both failed within two months of each other.
2. CBU walnut blasting. This happened at around 40k for me. Car threw an SES on me, dealer said it was CBU, I said what? in a car this young if it should be an issue at all? They said it was going to be a week maybe two and it had get walnut blasted, which was going to cost me somewhere between $3500 to $4200 to fix. I blew my top and told them no way, this is bull**** for a car this young, that the fact that it even happens at all means there is something seriously wrong with the design of the intake system and that this is on BMW not me or my driving. They were clearly going to fight me on this, but I fought back and was able to get a 'courtesy' pick up of the costs by BMW for all labor and costs. So after researching here, I decided to try out the Oil Catch Can method, but I haven't installed it yet. Going to ask for advice on how to do it here later on.
3. MAF sensor shorted. WTF? This is a solid state device practically. How the hell would that go bad. I have a 2000 Ford F150 with 250k on it and I've only cleaned the MAF twice in it's entire lifetime and it has never failed. Ever. but around 45k the car SES'ed and it was the MAF. Nope can't fix it yourself since the MAF alone is around $300 or so and there is reprogramming. Go figure. Covered under warranty, so no cost, but still.
4. UREA level sensor was bad or going bad. No cost to fix, under warranty.

I've had the car back now for 3 weeks and frankly I'm waiting for the next shoe to drop. I really love this car, but after dealing with this nonsense, I finally contacted BMW NA and basically read them the riot act on the german engineering of this car and it's failures. They got back to me and asked me a bunch of questions and what would I like them to do. I told them there only 3 things that I would even consider for BMW to make this right.

1. Buy back the car and put me in a BMW 335D that works. Or...
2. Replace the entire motor/transmission/emissions with one that has been tested and works. Or...
3. I keep the car as is, I keep making my payments, but I want a bumper to bumper, top to bottom, left to right warranty coverage for as long as I own that car. Anything goes wrong, BMW NA fixes it at their cost. I just make payments.

That's what I told my BMW NA case worker after explaining my utter frustration at these issues. I at this point do not trust the car and it's construction or it's components. I want to be an enthused BMW owner and I want to be able to think that the brand lives up to it's hype. Otherwise, I spent a lot of money on an expensive paper weight that I might have to legal on them if they can't make it right.

That's my opinion on the car. I know some people statistically won't experience any of these issues, but I've read of people having even worse issues than I have and I know BMW knows that there are problems, but they will not open themselves up to fixing them and instead are continuing to us we owners, I feel, as guinea pigs.

Otherwise, when the car is good. It's good. I love driving it. It has fuel economy and power to boot and it looks fantastic. I just wish it was more reliable than it is now.

Make of this what you will, I'm just giving an honest assessment of the car and my issues. Good luck.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: 335d sedan
Just curious - but this carbon build up thing - I wonder if it could be minimized by driving the car hard all the time and keeping it burned off? Dealer tech said that most times people just don't drive them hard enough to keep the engines clean of this stuff.

I had an '11 335d myself and did have to have the UREA tank and pump replaced, but other than that, no problems. Drove it for 50k miles before I trade it. Maybe I just didn't drive it long enough to get to the problem miles.. I don't know??
Old 11-08-2014, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: 335d 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methadras View Post
Hey guys, I'm new here, so hello and forgive me for introducing as a n00b into this thread. I'm also a new(er) BMW owner and I have a 2011 335D loaded with everything in it, which I absolutely love to drive except it has had problems. I don't know if it's a lemon, if whoever built it on the assembly line was having a bad day, whether the OEM parts manufacturers were having a bad day, or what. I don't know, but here are the issues I've had with this car.

1. two faulty #2 injectors. each injector required one week of downtime at my BMW dealer to get the injector and for programming, which apparently is dog slow. Not sure why. They both failed within two months of each other.
2. CBU walnut blasting. This happened at around 40k for me. Car threw an SES on me, dealer said it was CBU, I said what? in a car this young if it should be an issue at all? They said it was going to be a week maybe two and it had get walnut blasted, which was going to cost me somewhere between $3500 to $4200 to fix. I blew my top and told them no way, this is bull**** for a car this young, that the fact that it even happens at all means there is something seriously wrong with the design of the intake system and that this is on BMW not me or my driving. They were clearly going to fight me on this, but I fought back and was able to get a 'courtesy' pick up of the costs by BMW for all labor and costs. So after researching here, I decided to try out the Oil Catch Can method, but I haven't installed it yet. Going to ask for advice on how to do it here later on.
3. MAF sensor shorted. WTF? This is a solid state device practically. How the hell would that go bad. I have a 2000 Ford F150 with 250k on it and I've only cleaned the MAF twice in it's entire lifetime and it has never failed. Ever. but around 45k the car SES'ed and it was the MAF. Nope can't fix it yourself since the MAF alone is around $300 or so and there is reprogramming. Go figure. Covered under warranty, so no cost, but still.
4. UREA level sensor was bad or going bad. No cost to fix, under warranty.

I've had the car back now for 3 weeks and frankly I'm waiting for the next shoe to drop. I really love this car, but after dealing with this nonsense, I finally contacted BMW NA and basically read them the riot act on the german engineering of this car and it's failures. They got back to me and asked me a bunch of questions and what would I like them to do. I told them there only 3 things that I would even consider for BMW to make this right.

1. Buy back the car and put me in a BMW 335D that works. Or...
2. Replace the entire motor/transmission/emissions with one that has been tested and works. Or...
3. I keep the car as is, I keep making my payments, but I want a bumper to bumper, top to bottom, left to right warranty coverage for as long as I own that car. Anything goes wrong, BMW NA fixes it at their cost. I just make payments.

That's what I told my BMW NA case worker after explaining my utter frustration at these issues. I at this point do not trust the car and it's construction or it's components. I want to be an enthused BMW owner and I want to be able to think that the brand lives up to it's hype. Otherwise, I spent a lot of money on an expensive paper weight that I might have to legal on them if they can't make it right.

That's my opinion on the car. I know some people statistically won't experience any of these issues, but I've read of people having even worse issues than I have and I know BMW knows that there are problems, but they will not open themselves up to fixing them and instead are continuing to us we owners, I feel, as guinea pigs.

Otherwise, when the car is good. It's good. I love driving it. It has fuel economy and power to boot and it looks fantastic. I just wish it was more reliable than it is now.

Make of this what you will, I'm just giving an honest assessment of the car and my issues. Good luck.
My experience:
I had a total of 16 new injectors. Most urea system components have been replaced twice. My car was out of service at the dealer for a total of 3 months in 2014. I am now at 61K miles.

Last edited by montr; 11-08-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:12 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongway View Post
Okay, so I'm a bit noobish when it comes to the new generation of BMW engines. I'm assuming most of the issues stem from them being Direct Injection engines?

If so, why do some direct injection engines seem to have less incidences of the need for things like Walnut Blasting, or in other makes, I've heard of them adding oil catch cans?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methadras View Post
So after researching here, I decided to try out the Oil Catch Can method, but I haven't installed it yet. Going to ask for advice on how to do it here later on.
Diesel engines have ALWAYS been direct injection.

Catch Can might reduce problems, but won't solve them, as EGR is probably a bigger contributor than crankcase vent.

BTW, I just turned over 87K miles, never had () any apparent CBU problems, just drove back to Bellevue from Pullman (not a flat drive by any means) and got 38.5 mpg.