Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-21-2011, 10:32 AM
Better with Butter

Mein Auto: 335i sedan 6MT
I just had my car in for service--front and rear brake pads--not 30 minutes ago. The computer this morning went from "oh you're fine you've got 6000 miles on the rear still, 14,000 on the fronts" to "crap get the car into the dealership RIGHT NOW".
Turns out my computer was reporting that both my fronts and rears were overdue for pad replacement by, get this, 397,888 miles. Ha!

In any case, to the point: while there I mentioned that my rear wheels were squeaking (which they were); they changed out the sensors front and rear.

I think it was related to SIB 34 03 09--That's what's listed on my work order.

Last edited by galahad05; 06-21-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335I
yup SIB 34 03 09 got me new pads all around and new roters in the back. cbs was saying 9,000 til rear and 14000 til fronts needed.. and i never really noticed the squeak.. i keep that logic 7 cranked up
Old 07-06-2011, 08:57 PM
BG

Mein Auto: E46 E90
Re: Squelling sound

I am getting a squealing sound myself and I seems with the temp is a little warmer. I can not tell if its from the driver side rear or front or the passager side front or rear. It seems like the sound is from the rear driver side.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:46 PM

Mein Auto: '07 E92
My 07 328xi was making the same sound. Took it to the dealer and waited three hours only to hears that "the issue could not be replicated"! the tech pulled the car up for me and it made the dreaded sound. I was so pissed that i went in got the SA who made the shop foreman go for a ride with me. Two minutes later they installed new pads and sensors. just got to hassle with them a little and hope you have a helpful sa. good luck
Old 07-14-2011, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 e92 335i
similar results...

Hi All,

First time post here on a topic that is near and dear to my heart. I have an '08 e92 335i with 40k miles and have the exact same noise coming from my right rear tire that you all are plagued with. I've had it off and on over the past 3 months.

About a week ago I took the car in for a seat belt assist malfunction/replace and have a new SA assigned to me as my previous has moved states. I explain the situation to him/how it was not fixed the last time I brought the car in and he acknowledges this is a fairly common issue with the 335i's and that he'll have the techs look into it while the seatbelt assist is being fixed.

Upon completion, the SA explained that they added some insulation to the pads and sensors and that the squealing is comes from the pad gently rubbing a the rotor at its natural resonance and can be compounded by the brake dust accumulation.

Since they applied insulation, I've had no issues. If it returns I'll site SIB 34 03 09 and have all the parts replaced.

Add my explanation to the pile; I'm sure it isn't the most far fetched!
Old 04-20-2012, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: 08' 335xi SP
My car squeaks

My 08 335xi has 44,000 miles on it. It says the rear pads have 3,300 left and the front 28,000. My car squeaks pretty regularly with a normal amount of braking pressure. I was told that it is supposed to happen by my dealer.
It seems to happen more when it is warmer out. I don't know if the low life remaining on the rear pads is the reason. I do not think so. I am going to attempt to get it fixed. It is under the maintenance warranty but I do not know what the solution to the problem would be.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i coupe
I've had the squeak from day 1 (CPO with 9,000 miles at purchase). Annoying and sounds junky as hell.

2007 E92 335i Coupe•Premium & Sport package•Electronic countermeasures•Flares•Chaff•Cloaking•20mm Vulcan cannon•Solid rocket boosters•Chobham armour•Titanium cockpit
Old 04-20-2012, 11:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i Sport,Premium & Navi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcube View Post
^^^This squeaking is not caused by applying brakes. It is specifically the right rear brake area (the one with the sensor). It squeaks at low speed. BMW has a SIB against it.

I had this. Sort of a wooshing sound? Anyway dealer replaced brakes and sensor under warrenty and no issues since. Although when I come to a stop my brakes sort of groan / squeek as I come to a stop.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhoward View Post
I've had the squeak from day 1 (CPO with 9,000 miles at purchase). Annoying and sounds junky as hell.
:word: My 07 335i has had the squeak the last 24k mi I've owned it. Funny thing is I only get the squeak going up a steep incline. I hear it most noticably when I visit my older brother in Del Mar. I feel like I'm driving a piece of junk passing all his neighbors 50k + rides going up the road; squeak squeak squeak ..
Old 04-21-2012, 12:08 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
Brakes squeak because the pads rattle in the calipers. That is why they make brake pad disc squeak eliminator by CRC (and others). Does't take much skill to pull the pads and put the CRC on and stick them back on.
Champering the pads also helps but it just isn't that hard to do but it is not an "approved" BMW solution.
I have Cool Carbon pads swapped my 2007 pads out because of the dust. OEM pads and Cool Carbons no squeal...
Old 04-27-2012, 09:00 AM

Mein Auto: 09 E93
I have same issue on 09 335 E93. Sounds like right rear that squeaks up to 20 mph, then squeals like crazy as I come to stop. Had it at dealer 2X for a total of 6 days and they "could not reproduce" the sound. Next I will drive there while it's making the noise. Funny, they never mentioned a SIB about it Nor did they say it's been a problem on other cars
Old 08-09-2012, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: 325CI, 335i Coupe
The problem is that the squeal sound occurs when driving, without the brakes applied, usually only when the car has been driven for awhile, and between 0 and 20 mph. Better yet, is the sound only comes from the right side, rear wheel. If the brakes are going bad, shouldnt all the wheels make the sound?

Will replacing the pads really make a difference? Why should the brake pad be touching the rotor in the first place at low speed? Is the hill assist keeping the pad on the rotor? Or the DSC system has a flaw or safety feature? Again, why is the right rear wheel so special?

Also, removing the sensor doesn't help. I tried it and the sound continues - and i have lots of pad and rotor life left.

At the root of the problem - the rotor is coming into contact with the brake pad, only on that wheel it seems, after the car has been driven for awhile, up to about 20 mph at which point it disappears.

My only thought is that the rotors heat up, expand, and then come into contact with the brake pad on the rear right wheel, which is kept near the disc for hill assist/DSC etc at low speed.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:22 PM

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
I had it go away after dealer looked at it Figured they wouldn't be good on the first time... If it happens after the second time I take the car in I'll start uploading the 10+ Videos of it on youtube and email them to the GM and see if anything can be done.. THE SB only covers pre 2008 cars so even though the 2009s do it we're SOL.

It really sounds awful (mine seems to be the front right tire)
Old 08-10-2012, 06:26 AM

Mein Auto: 335I Convertible
This is a very common problem on ALL cars not just BMW. If you are told that it is "normal" or that it cannot be fixed, you are being lied to, period. The brake pads and all related hardware must be installed correctly, and this problem will not exist. There are some cases where the brake pads have been severely overheated and will squeal, but that is unusual. It is usually an installation problem or a wear problem. The shims and/or anti-squeal compound installed by the factory will eventually wear or be worn away. Most mechanics are trained to install brakes quickly and cheaply, which will almost guarantee that they will squeal. You must install all of the hardware correctly and you must install anti-squeal compound on the backs of the pads. The rotors must be prepped with a non-directional finished and washed to remove any machining residue. To do a brake job correctly is a time-consuming process. It will be very difficult to convince a dealer to take the time to do it right. Even if they try to fix it by replacing the pads; if they just slap them on using their standard procedures, you will quickly (if not immediately) have the same problem. Here is a link to an article on curing brake squeal. Bottom line is that it is repairable, but it will be difficult to force the dealer to do it correctly. It is not difficult, but it does take time and time is money... No matter how careful you are brakes will squeal occasionally, but they should not squeal constantly.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...enance/4317748

Last edited by haskindm; 08-10-2012 at 06:28 AM. Reason: post link
Old 08-10-2012, 07:34 AM

Mein Auto: 325i E92 Coupe
One other thing to throw into the mix is that the squeal may not be the pads at all. The wear sensors can be a major cause of low-speed squealing. Can be cured by lightly abrading the surface of the sensor that wipes on the disc and coating the rest of the sensor with something like copper grease.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Meyle HD droplinks; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Saikoumichi OCC; K&N; Cyba scoops; RM intake hose; BMW Perf Exhaust; M3 rear spoiler; LED Angels; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof

Old 08-10-2012, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: 09 335i Sedan w/ Prem/Spo
I'm having this issue on my e90 sedan right now. The squealing is rather annoying and seems to happen when I am below 25 mph.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:53 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
I have a 2008 335i, I've had it for a about a year, when I first got the car it would squeak too, aweek after i got the car i took it to BMW,BMW told me it was a common issue with the car, they said I didn't need brakes your fine. I couldn't beleave it, I took it down to my local pronto lube, they told me I did need brakes and showed me the wear that the brakes were doing to my rotors. I replaced them (all 4 brakes with lifetime warranty) and I haven't had any problems since, on a side note if you let your brakes wear too much you'll end up ruining your brake sensor, I had to buy a new one as well($15) I didn't know that the 335i only has one brake sensor, I bought 2
Old 08-13-2012, 03:50 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneVara View Post
I have a 2008 335i, I've had it for a about a year, when I first got the car it would squeak too, aweek after i got the car i took it to BMW,BMW told me it was a common issue with the car, they said I didn't need brakes your fine. I couldn't beleave it, I took it down to my local pronto lube, they told me I did need brakes and showed me the wear that the brakes were doing to my rotors. I replaced them (all 4 brakes with lifetime warranty) and I haven't had any problems since, on a side note if you let your brakes wear too much you'll end up ruining your brake sensor, I had to buy a new one as well($15) I didn't know that the 335i only has one brake sensor, I bought 2
My 07 has two sensors, left front and right rear.

94 318I (Daughter's car), 96 740IL(current project), 97 528I(DD), 07 335I(Son's car)
Old 08-24-2012, 12:42 PM

I'm at the dealer now and as much as I love my SA I got the all BMWs squeak shtick and doubt anything will happen but I'll start uploading videos of mine as I'm guessing I'll have to go higher up. I mean I joke but I told the guy I'm not here trying to get free brakes I'll take brakes from an 83 BMW if it'll stop the noise. I can't even drive down in Georgetown without looking like I can't afford brakes. He laughed but I was dead serious lol
Old 08-24-2012, 01:19 PM

Stoked!! Getting new pads was prepared for anti squeal lube gonna take till 5:30 but I just hope it isn't tpms/ rotors otherwise I'm gunna be coming back still glad I got some help

Woulda loved to take the 335d for a spin that is outside or spend some time with the new x3 oh well!

OK SO 19 miles in stop/go and not a single squeal!!!!!! Heres what was done

If I put some info that shouldn't be posted let me know someone

Last edited by SuperTerp; 08-24-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Promising inexpensive solution

I also have a 2007 335i that started to have squeaking coming from the rear brakes a few weeks after I bought it. I talked to a BMW mechanic and was recommended to try Squeal Medic spray ($6.99) on my rotors. I was able to find it at O'Reilly and since I have used it I have no more noise from the brakes. It has only been about a week but so far it seems promising.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:50 AM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: Graphite & Silver E92/E60
I am also experiencing this same issue of brake squeal at low speeds. On the E90 forum I have seen multiple threads on this issue. I think BMW needs to man up and do a recall on these brakes and fix the issue for once and for all. As there are way too many 335i's that are suffering from this design and material flaw of the OEM brakes.

Maybe BMW will only step up and do that if a mass law suit is filed much like in case of turbos waste gate rattle. Come on BMW fix this issue a over 50K luxury car should not squeal like a pig. It is embarrassing when a BMW sounds like a dump truck while braking.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 335i Sedan
My car had the same high pitched squeal that everyone is referencing coming from the right rear wheel. As is the case with most everyone else that has experienced this, it only occurred at speeds < 20 mph. I just changed my rotors, pads, and sensors all the way around and I am happy to report that the squeal is gone. It was an expensive fix, but I couldn't stand listening to that noise any more. I park in an indoor parking garage during the day and it was down right embarrassing winding my way through the garage looking for a parking spot having to listen to that noise. Made my car sound very cheap. It would be nice if BMW would definitively identify what is causing this issue and fix it (at the factory).

European Delivery: 3/10/2008 / Redelivery: 5/14/2008 - 2008 BMW 335i Sedan, Sparkling Graphite Metallic, Terra Leather, Dark Burl Walnut Wood, Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Steptronic w/Paddle Shifters, Satellite, HD Radio, Comfort Access, PDC. Member: BMW CCA
Old 09-11-2012, 11:11 PM

Mein Auto: 09 335i Sedan w/ Prem/Spo
My car has been having a lot of squealing for the last two days.

My iDrive is showing about 900 miles until brake pad service, although that number hasn't changed since I bought the car as a CPO in May.

I have until next April for free maintainence and my SA advised me to wear the rotors below the threshold so that they get replaced for free as well.

The squeal has been really bad and almost sounds metal on metal to me. Is this normal? Is my SA feeding me BS to keep wearing the rotors?
Old 09-12-2012, 01:32 AM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
My sisters 650 does this, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.