Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 06-17-2011, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: 330xi
2011 335d or hope for 2012 335d?

Hello All,

Looking for some input from all of you. First, does anyone know whether BMW will offer a diesel for the 3 series in the US for 2012? I read they are looking at hybrids & still no official decision on diesel. I hope so. I like the preliminary design photos I have seen of 2012 3 series. Looks flatter & wider, more aggressive. Also like the new taillights. Again, flatter wider look, than pudgier squarer look.

If they will offer a 3 series diesel in 2012, I would likely wait a year.

Alternatively, here is an out-of-state option available to me. 2011 335d with 10k miles (dealer loaner car though). It has the following equipment: silver metallic, premium package, heated seats (not full cold weather pkg), navigation, sat radio, iPod/USB. Total MSRP is $51,375. Car was in a minor accident involving right rear passenger door. Fully repaired. Ran list of repairs past a local collision guy I know & he said nothing to worry about, just check paint job closely. However, it will always show up on carfax report of car as minor accident (hence should be discounted). I can get car for $38.2. Dealer has recently increased price to $44 as they say they put the wrong price on web & would otherwise take a loss.

Thoughts? I am thinking of walking away from it.
Ads by Google
Old 06-17-2011, 04:34 PM
BMW & Mopar enthusiast

Mein Auto: 06 Dodge Magnum SRT8
Walk away. For a car in that price range, a previous accident will make me walk far away. I know it's not a model that's very easy to come by, but that accident will come back to haunt you when you decide to sell it unless you keep it for 10+ years.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:53 PM

Mein Auto: None
For a couple grand more you could ED a new 335d with the same options. Spending 40k on a model with a prior accident is not something I would do
Old 06-17-2011, 06:18 PM

Great Dane & TBE, thanks for the comments. That is why I was looking to walk away.

Have either of you (or others) have any insight on whether a 2012 3 series diesel will be offered in the states with the body style change going into effect?

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2011, 06:44 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Nothing official, but diesels don't normally make to the U.S.in the first year of production.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 06-17-2011, 10:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335d Le Mans Blue/Black
BMW hasn't announced obviously so not official yet, but all the indications that I've seen and the rumors/posts about the upcoming production of the 2012 3 series (F30 based) sedan have said almost consistently that the 2012 model year will not include the 335d. Though rumor has it that the 335d may be back after a year or two.
E90 335d - Le Mans Blue, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Trim, M-Sport Package w/ Paddles, Premium Package, Navigation, Heated Front Seats, Split Fold Down Rear Seats, Smartphone Integration, Comfort Access, Harmon Kardon Surround Sound System. Ipod/USB Integration, Satellite Radio, Anti-Theft Alarm

Delivery: March 07, 2011. My European Delivery Car Photos Dropoff in Geneva: March 09, 2011 - Geneva
Redelivery: May 13, 2011
Old 06-18-2011, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d fan View Post
Hello All,

Looking for some input from all of you. First, does anyone know whether BMW will offer a diesel for the 3 series in the US for 2012? I read they are looking at hybrids & still no official decision on diesel. I hope so. I like the preliminary design photos I have seen of 2012 3 series. Looks flatter & wider, more aggressive. Also like the new taillights. Again, flatter wider look, than pudgier squarer look.

Alternatively, here is an out-of-state option available to me. 2011 335d with 10k miles (dealer loaner car though). It has the following equipment: silver metallic, premium package, heated seats (not full cold weather pkg), navigation, sat radio, iPod/USB. Total MSRP is $51,375. Car was in a minor accident involving right rear passenger door. Fully repaired. Ran list of repairs past a local collision guy I know & he said nothing to worry about, just check paint job closely. However, it will always show up on carfax report of car as minor accident (hence should be discounted). I can get car for $38.2. Dealer has recently increased price to $44 as they say they put the wrong price on web & would otherwise take a loss.

I think you should walk away. For 2 reasons:

PRICE. I just picked up my new 2011 335d yesterday. M sport/Prem/Cold/Ipod/HK/Navi for over $8k under MSRP (inclusive of the eco credit). You can check the price you'd expect to pay for a new one (called TMV) on Edmunds.com. In my region, they were selling way below invoice. My guess is $44k should be about right --- IF IT WAS NEW. Given that it is used (esp. a dealer loaner), I'd expect $38k to be fair (if it had a clean carfax). With the accident, it should therefore be much lower.

CAR. I'm never really sure what a "minor accident" is. Also, when you decide to turn around and sell it later on, you'll get "dinged" for that carfax as well. Honestly, if you're spending $40k+ on a car, you should look elsewhere...

Just my $0.02.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
$38k sounds about right to me but considering how much you can get new ones discounted then it is hard to justify a used one. For comparisons sakes a few months back when my car had around 12.5k I was offered $30k for it at a dealer. Mine has next to no options and has been in a "minor" accident where the rear bumper cover had to be replaced but nothing under it was affected.

Sent from my iPad Nano
Old 06-18-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Nothing official, but diesels don't normally make to the U.S.in the first year of production.
Why is that? If they already have success for years with an engine why not the first year? Or if you are planning on bringing the engine anyway, why not 1st year? Body style difference (wagon, convertible, etc. I can understand) but why the delay in an engine you are already using in other cars in your fleet?
Old 06-18-2011, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by aljlin View Post
the rumors/posts about the upcoming production of the 2012 3 series (F30 based) sedan have said almost consistently that the 2012 model year will not include the 335d. Though rumor has it that the 335d may be back after a year or two.
Having worked in Product Planning many years ago, I would have to say that would be one of the stupidest model decisions I have ever seen -- taking the diesel out of the line-up for one year is one of the best ways to kill it's acceptance.

If I hadn't seen BMW NA do some really, really stupid Product decisions in the past, I would say it is an unfounded rumor. But whoever is doing the product planning for BMW NA obviously must have come from Accounting.

Judging from the product decisions BMW NA have made in the the past few years, I can only surmise that they apparently believe profits are inversely related to cost, directly related to price, and totally independent of volume. That is the only environment in which their decisions make any sense.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Why is that? If they already have success for years with an engine why not the first year? Or if you are planning on bringing the engine anyway, why not 1st year? Body style difference (wagon, convertible, etc. I can understand) but why the delay in an engine you are already using in other cars in your fleet?
I always thought it had to do with getting things recertified by the EPA(?). Kind like with the Mercedes E class. When the latest revision came out no diesel for the first model year. Then when the diesel showed up it was different than the last time they had a diesel in the E class. I'd imagine the next chassis 3 series will have changes to the emission systems, engine, and/or something else that would lead to it needing to go through the process again. I could be completely wrong though, just the impression I have gotten.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Having worked in Product Planning many years ago, I would have to say that would be one of the stupidest model decisions I have ever seen -- taking the diesel out of the line-up for one year is one of the best ways to kill it's acceptance.

If I hadn't seen BMW NA do some really, really stupid Product decisions in the past, I would say it is an unfounded rumor. But whoever is doing the product planning for BMW NA obviously must have come from Accounting.

Judging from the product decisions BMW NA have made in the the past few years, I can only surmise that they apparently believe profits are inversely related to cost, directly related to price, and totally independent of volume. That is the only environment in which their decisions make any sense.
Penguin,

Good points. It is so disappointing to constantly read about the diesels available in Europe and not here. I understand that they haven't gained widespread acceptance in the US yet, but I firmly believe time can change that.

At my workplace alone, 4 years ago nobody owned a diesel. Then one guy got a Jetta diesel and everyone was amazed at his MPG. 4 years later there are now 4 people out of 40 who have a diesel and others strongly considering. The 4 people that have one all say they love their diesels and the next car will be the same.

As you note, great way to hurt acceptance by skipping offering it one year. I can only hope BMW won't make that mistake. At least VW is offering a diesel in several models: Beetle, Golf, Jetta, Passat, Tourareg...

Hopefully Audi & BMW will follow suit.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:59 PM

But VW does not sell a Passat or Bug TDI. They will soon and they did in the not so distance past. Heck didn't they not sell a TDI Jetta for one model year here recently? In VW case I don't think it had anything to do with some desire not to sell a diesel but instead a need to redo things.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
But VW does not sell a Passat or Bug TDI. They will soon and they did in the not so distance past. Heck didn't they not sell a TDI Jetta for one model year here recently? In VW case I don't think it had anything to do with some desire not to sell a diesel but instead a need to redo things.
Snipe,

Good point. Again, just wish more diesel options were available to us. Seems most manufacturers focus on hybrid for US market, while those same manufacturers all have diesel offerings in Europe.

Happy Father's Day to all this weekend.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:14 PM

I just am really under the impression that the lack of diesels here is because the trouble our government makes it to import them. I have read on here where some new European emissions restrictions coming up might change all of this. But I like most everyone else here would love to see some of the options the ROW gets over what we get.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:02 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 M3 Coupe & 2009 335d
Quote:
Hello All,

the E90 335d has an end of production of October 2011. There is no 335d planned for 2012 at this time. Just an FYI.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim E. View Post
the E90 335d has an end of production of October 2011. There is no 335d planned for 2012 at this time. Just an FYI.
Jim E,

Thanks for input. Can you relay where you heard this? I've read conflicting articles. Some say no diesel 1st production year, others say yes they will, others say no decision yet.

Thx!
Old 06-21-2011, 04:05 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 M3 Coupe & 2009 335d
Quote:
Jim E,

Thanks for input. Can you relay where you heard this? I've read conflicting articles. Some say no diesel 1st production year, others say yes they will, others say no decision yet.

Thx!
This is based on BMW documentation. I was shown two documents which talk about 2011 and 2012 production runs.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D
2011 335d

I've had my 335D for just over a year. I had the car built and delivered to the Norwell, MA dealership. The car has been fantastic. If anyone has any questions send them along and I'll do the best I can to answer them.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 335d Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by danicro View Post
I've had my 335D for just over a year. I had the car built and delivered to the Norwell, MA dealership. The car has been fantastic. If anyone has any questions send them along and I'll do the best I can to answer them.
A bit OT here, but do you bring it to that dealership for service?

Old 11-09-2011, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 e90 335d (M-sport)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danicro View Post
Yeah, also interested in your service stories from the Boston dealers for the last year. I bought mine from BMW Sudbury and plan to bring in there for service (oil, DEF etc). Thanks!
[Le Mans Blue / M-sport / Saddle Brown Int. / Prem. / Conv. / Cold / iDrive / HK Sound / Individual Piano Black interior etc.]
Previous: 2001 A6 Avant [OEM recaro interior / BBS RC's / RNS-E Navigation / OEM Black roof rails / OEM Piano Black trim & lots of other oem gunmetal black parts]
Old 11-09-2011, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 335d Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBGame View Post
Yeah, also interested in your service stories from the Boston dealers for the last year. I bought mine from BMW Sudbury and plan to bring in there for service (oil, DEF etc). Thanks!
I am dropping mine off tonight for service in Norwell, I'll keep everyone appraised.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:00 AM
OldRacer

Mein Auto: Porsche (2), Subaru
335D a go for 2012

I've driven the 2012 335d around the lower Hudson Valley, putting about 75 miles on it in total. Big mix of roads, some highway, some very twisty bits. Biggest single impression was of the very hefty torque, which allowed me to keep pace with the IM, new Z4, X6 M, in all but the open patches, and certainly in the point and squirt city rally mode, 0-40 and higher.

Transmission was very well spaced, the brakes felt good, though not up to my 997 ceramics, but pedal feel was solid and easily modulated. I believe it was the Sport package, but that detail got lost in the excitement or the day. The new active motor mounts did a great job of reducing NVH, and the dual turbos made all that torque readily available (as in "right this second'). Steering was good, but not nearly as sharp as the 1M, yet better than the X6 M (that may be very subjective. I couldn't stop feeling like I was driving a stupid fast truck). And you can get the tail out, even with everything switched on, with liberal use of the right foot.

I liked it so much, I'm going to take delivery of one in April, in Germany, to replace my '07 Forester Sport as a city car. And the 1M... Can you say track day?

BTW -- The JCW Mini they had for us was also a big blast!
Old 11-28-2011, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: 04 325, 2011 335d
Not a good deal, you should be in the 40 to 41 tops with the equipment listed. My D was also a service loaner and included sport and cold weather for 41.5 with 13k miles. My rule (for a service loaner) was 10k off from MSRP.... Must have called / inquired over 10 dealers in my surrounding states.

Good hunting, don't give up, also you should look for at ED for me it was about 4k more .... It was tempting, but did not have the time.

Enjoy

P

Loving Life!
Old 11-29-2011, 05:21 AM

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '00 540iT
Not sure why everyone is talking about a 2012 335D. It will not exist, at least in the US. The price lists are out and only the 328 and 335i are listed for the F30 sedan. Believe we are all expecting a D in later production years, but it may not be the 335.

With that said still enjoying our new to us D. It also was a former service loaner. I always worry about proper break in and the impact on oil consumption. Have not driven it enough to tell yet. So far is very brand new car like, no issues. Any cosmetic problems were corrected prior to delivery.

Ours is pretty much loaded except for the sports package. While I would liked the sports seats, with the crappy roads in NJ, with sports you would only be eating wheels and tires on a regular basis.

For this one it had 8K miles and was $12K off sticker. Thought that was a pretty good deal. I know in the NJ area there are very few D's left.