Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 11-29-2011, 05:59 AM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Camry hybrid + MB e300D-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmil3s View Post
I've driven the 2012 335d ...
I liked it so much, I'm going to take delivery of one in April, in Germany...
You are mistaken. There is no 2012 335d at this time. The 2012 model year will introduce the new 3 series (F30 chassis), and they aren't going to release the 6 cyl diesel until next fall. No news yet on which (if any) diesel will be brought over to N America.

I'm not sure how much longer the MY11 (E90 chassis) 335d will be available, but I hope you have a good time picking one up at BMW Welt in April.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '00 540iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by d geek View Post
I'm not sure how much longer the MY11 (E90 chassis) 335d will be available, but I hope you have a good time picking one up at BMW Welt in April.
That's the point, the 335 (D & i) ended production a month ago as I recall.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
the new platform F30 wont release the DIESEL until 2013 if not mistaken and it may weel be the 320d engine as well as an option the 6 cyl DIESEL if it does get offered which I doubt it.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:09 PM
OldRacer

Mein Auto: Porsche (2), Subaru
correction on last post

My apologies to everyone. The 335d I drove was in fact a 2011 Sport Model, so my dream of picking up a 2012 will just have to wait. Maybe the thing to do is get the 335d, 2011, while they are still out there. I did confirm that my hopes were misplaced, but I can't wait for the marketing mavens to make up their minds.

I still don't quite get why diesels are so hard to find (say, a GLK d, or a Suby) not to be heretical. Anyway, my comments still stand about the 335d (albeit 2011) being a great ride.

Here are my notes, from the drive:

335d In some respects, my favorite ride of the group, not only because it represents the future in terms of greater efficiency, but because the diesel gives this car gobs of low-down grunt, and that gift of great torque keeps on giving, well into the rev band. It may represent the (near) perfect urban saloon: comfortable, quiet, and very quick off the line, and quite parsimonious. This baby could stay with a group of much more powerful, kitted-out cousins on all but the long straights. And it did turn! None of the nose heavy, dead-weight wrestling that one might expect with too much weight over the nose,. An aluminum block counts for much of its tidy manners, and the geometry keeps brake dive well and truly under control. I liked the idea from the start. I liked the execution even better. You could drive this through the canyons of Southern Cali, and still hold your head up high in Palo Alto!
Old 12-03-2011, 06:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328d
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmil3s View Post
I still don't quite get why diesels are so hard to find (say, a GLK d, or a Suby) not to be heretical. Anyway, my comments still stand about the 335d (albeit 2011) being a great ride.
Americans are still quite uninformed about current day diesels.Many recall the disaster that the GM diesels of the 70's and 80's were.Many more recall more recent Mercedes and Volvo diesels belching their black smoke and blocking traffic because they could only do 0-60 in about a day and a half.And *everyone* recalls seeing buses and trucks belching black smoke and holding up traffic.Add to that the fact that diesel fuel has recently become as expensive...if not more expensive...than Premium and you have your answer.They're far more popular in Europe...and even Canada...because of their governments' policy of taxing diesel less than gas,thus making it noticeably cheaper than is gasoline which is a good incentive for them to go diesel.

Fuelly
Old 12-03-2011, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '00 540iT
The taxes on fuel vary by state but are still no where near the level of fuel taxes in Europe. For gasoline it ranges from a low of 18 cents per gallon for the state portion here in NJ, to a high of about 40 cents in some other states. In NJ it looks like Diesel is taxed more than gasoline. Where I just filled up they also sell non-taxed fuel used for off road purposes (such as farming), it's dyed red. It was about 30 cents a gallon cheaper. Not sure if there are more taxes even non road use that are still levied.

Right now the entire gas/diesel/crude model is all upside down. Refined gasoline is selling for less than the amount of crude it took to make it, essentially losing money on every gallon sold. Of course the week after I purchased my D the price of diesel went up and the price of gas went down here in the USA.

Many factors in play but one is that the US is exporting diesel to Europe and importing gas from Europe. I expect this will all come back into balance in the next few months. Refiners can shift the ratio of diesel to gasoliine produced a certain amount. I expect Diesel should run about the same as premium, not 30 - 40 cents higher as it is right now.

Last edited by KeithS; 12-03-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:09 AM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Camry hybrid + MB e300D-T
One thing to consider this time of year is that the demand for heating oil increases and this directly impacts diesel production.

here are a couple of charts showing tax rates for diesel and gasoline for all states:
http://www.api.org/statistics/fueltaxes/index.cfm
Old 12-06-2011, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335d
Run Away.
I got my new 2011 335d last year with sport/paddle, premimum, nav, heated seat, usb/ipod/smartphone for $44K. The guy is ripping you off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d fan View Post
Hello All,

Looking for some input from all of you. First, does anyone know whether BMW will offer a diesel for the 3 series in the US for 2012? I read they are looking at hybrids & still no official decision on diesel. I hope so. I like the preliminary design photos I have seen of 2012 3 series. Looks flatter & wider, more aggressive. Also like the new taillights. Again, flatter wider look, than pudgier squarer look.

If they will offer a 3 series diesel in 2012, I would likely wait a year.

Alternatively, here is an out-of-state option available to me. 2011 335d with 10k miles (dealer loaner car though). It has the following equipment: silver metallic, premium package, heated seats (not full cold weather pkg), navigation, sat radio, iPod/USB. Total MSRP is $51,375. Car was in a minor accident involving right rear passenger door. Fully repaired. Ran list of repairs past a local collision guy I know & he said nothing to worry about, just check paint job closely. However, it will always show up on carfax report of car as minor accident (hence should be discounted). I can get car for $38.2. Dealer has recently increased price to $44 as they say they put the wrong price on web & would otherwise take a loss.

Thoughts? I am thinking of walking away from it.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:35 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/x3 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmohan View Post
Run Away.
I got my new 2011 335d last year with sport/paddle, premimum, nav, heated seat, usb/ipod/smartphone for $44K. The guy is ripping you off.
I agree. There are many fest sponsors offering great (read invoice or below plus credits) deals on leftover 2011 335d's. The OP needs to buy one of those and resign himself to doing an out of state deal. Would be well worth it IMHO and I do it all the time.

Last edited by Alpine300ZHP; 12-07-2011 at 06:36 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: E38
I HAVE A 2011 335D MSPORT,LOADED with 4400 original miles if your interested in it.call me 201 400 9651.George
Old 01-07-2013, 05:24 AM
Piloto

Send a message via AIM to mcoupejeff
Mein Auto: ///M5, X5D
Don't want to high jack but what color? Is this in a for sale thread anywhere?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
former-2000 TDI Golf
Old 01-08-2013, 04:40 AM

Mein Auto: E38
It's Space Gray with Saddle Brown.Black headliner and pillars because its an MSport.201 400 9651
Old 01-09-2013, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoupejeff View Post
Don't want to high jack but what color? Is this in a for sale thread anywhere?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
Talk about hijacking, dude tell me about your 67 Plymouth please. I have a 67 Barracuda Formula S that came with 383 BB. Thus my alias is BB_cuda.

Sorry to those that are subscribed to thread. We all hope to see a diesel variant come back to the F30/F31. For the record, my BB plymouth will have more torque than our 335D does and will have a 4 speed stick/ with sure grip equipped Dana 60. Its top end will be no where near the 335D with sport though. It should run mid 10's though in the quarter mile. Current status is on a rotissorie having sheet metal cancer removed.